Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Prop guards and blue Loctite
5098 7 2014-10-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rxb101
New

United States

When you removed the screws to install the proper guards I noticed a blue substance on the screws. I have been flying RC for quite a while and use Loctite on almost everything to prevent screws from working loose caused by vibration of a unbalanced prop or some other cause. Nowhere in the manual does it mention not using Loctite on the screws. Because I noticed the screws I took out had a blue residue on them I used blue Loctite on the screws. The Loctite completely dissolved the prop guards and cause fractures in the lower motor mount. I purchased a new shell but after looking at what is entailed in changing everything over I realized I do not have the know how to do so. Putting together a thermal glider or a 3-D part flyer is a lot different than dealing with gimbals, autopilot and such.
Are you or do you have any plans to assist the people who ruined their Phantom Vertion 2+ By using Loctite which to me made complete sense after noticing the blue substance on the screws I removed. I'm not looking for anything for free I'm just wondering why it was only mentioned in the FAQ Which is designed for people to look at after having a problem they can't solve. Again no where in the manual did it tell you not to use Loctite which is standard to use whenever vibration is present.

I would like to replace the motors with the T-Motors that give you more power and 8% percent less drain on the battery. I can put the new motors and myself simple soldering where there is plenty of room between contacts is something I can do. I have no idea how I am going to transfer the entire innards of my phantom to a new shell I just do not have the technical expertise to tackle such a job. Any help would be appreciated

One last thing I have been told that the Phantom Version 2+  is not compatible with the Lightbridge I've also been told that it is compatible with the Lightbridge I am confused and would like an answer from the people who developed it. I never got to fly my phantom but I am looking forward to it in the future.

Than you

Rob Bailey

2014-10-18
Use props
n2stuff
lvl.3

United States

On the kits the screws have small dab of blue locktite on them. It's look more like a dot of blue paste not the runny liquid type we normally use. DJI should know better than to use liquid type on plastic. Hopefully one of the mods will chime in and take care of your problem.
2014-10-18
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

rxb101 sorry that you have had issues with your Phantom.  It has been known for sometime that loctite and plastic can have issues.  Replacing the shell is not a difficult task and the shell itself is not expensive.  You just need to take your time and lots of photos of what you are doing so the parts go  back together correctly.  Post your email and I will have a shell sent to you.

The Lightbridge is not compatible with the Vision +.  
2014-10-19
Use props
DJK
New
Flight distance : 44154 ft
United States

I went through two shells before i figured this out, so it may not be well known to the average person making adding components.

I opened a support request about the blue loctite I was using, and kept getting a request to send the phantom 2 in for repair, but never received a response about what I suspected were known issues.

Would the solid blue loctite work? I don't want to buy new screws every time I open the shell or remove the prop guards. I do see the screws repeatedly coming loose that are not new.

Otherwise what is the recommended material to use?
2015-2-26
Use props
mike
First Officer
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

Here's a good video for instructions on replacing the shell:
2015-2-26
Use props
cayers13
lvl.3

United States

holy crap, a few hours ago my new prop guards came and I put a dab of blue loctite on each screw....some tutorial I looked at said to use friggin loctite, I didn't even think about the plastic in the screw holes. I've wiped most of it off and have the screws soaking in alcohol. There is still some blue stain on the plastic that won't come off. Anything else I can do?
2015-2-26
Use props
jim
New

United States

I just got really burnt by this mistake...  I had put a set of prop guards on my P2V+, and put a slight (really) amount of blue Loctite on each of the screws.  Having just purchased a new P3P, I took the prop guards off of my P2V+ and placed them on my P3P (with more blue Loctite of course).  After I removed the prop guards, I did notice cracking between the motor mounting screws of my P2V+, but did not realize that the damage was caused at first by the Loctite.  When I learn of the issue, I checked my P3P, and sure enough, I ruined it as well.  Long story short, I took out both of my P2V+ and P3P drones thinking that I was doing the right thing.  Is there anything DJI can do to help me out with this stupid mistake?  -Jim  (jim@hunt-consulting.com)
2015-9-5
Use props
SpunOne69
lvl.3

United States

It's NOT the lock-tite that caused the cracks...it's the prop guards!!  I did the same thing, put NEW, DJI approved "PhantomGuard" quick release prop guards on my P3P and the holes just before the motor mounts cracked.  I think the amount of resistance created by the prop guards (especially when descending straight down for landing) is causing the stress cracks...
2015-9-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules