Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Cliffs of Bondi - Inspire 1 X3
1234Next >
30204 147 2015-4-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jimhare
Captain
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

Hi All,

I snuck off during Easter lunch yesterday to grab some quick footage of the cliffs near Bondi Beach Australia.   Was actually Dover Heights but don't want anyone to think this is Ireland!  

I usually like to go back to a location two or three times before editing something, but even though I can now see a bunch of shots I would love to have gotten, it still turned out okay.

Comments appreicated!

Jim
2015-4-5
Use props
mbeyer27
lvl.1

United States

That was awesome Jim!
2015-4-5
Use props
jimhare
Captain
Australia

mbeyer27 Posted at 2015-4-6 09:14
That was awesome Jim!

Thanks!   Was fun but also pretty scary knowing at any moment my Inspire could be gone forever!

Took me a few minutes to work up the guts to fly out over the cliffs!   At one point I thought I was going to chicken out.   Glad I didn't!
2015-4-5
Use props
genettico
lvl.4

United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-4-6 09:35
Thanks!   Was fun but also pretty scary knowing at any moment my Inspire could be gone forever!

T ...

It does take lots of bravery to do those shots when the penalty for failure can be fatal to our awesome birds.. I applaud you and all those who risk in the name of that perfect shot... It does pay off... I'm trying to build that courage... It payed you as well Jim...Outstanding job...

I would love to see a shot coming from the  park you were flying from...  passing overhead of you  towards the ocean and not making it apparent until the last possible moment that there is this huge drop...it opens up to the ocean and then turns down to reveal the far distance below...

I tell you what though, it is easier said than done... I know I would not have the guts right now to pull the great shots you got!

Thank you for sharing!
2015-4-5
Use props
jimhare
Captain
Australia

genettico@hotma Posted at 2015-4-6 10:15
It does take lots of bravery to do those shots when the penalty for failure can be fatal to our aw ...

Thanks genettico.

Totally agree.  When editing I noticed about 5 shots that would have made it perfect, but I didn't think of at the time as I was mainly exploring the environment rather than achieving a shot list.

This is why I like to return to the same spot a couple of times.   

As soon as I started putting the clips together I instantly wanted a shot across the ground, rising just enough to clear the picket fence, then the camera tilts down as it goes over the cliff to reveal the drop.

One day I'll complete it!
2015-4-5
Use props
nilsblix
First Officer
Flight distance : 23047543 ft
  • >>>
Spain

This was so nice - I can see you are a pro and I am a amateur . I was on a beach yesterday filming some cliffs and birds - come home - editing - . You get it crystal clear - I get it grainy. Practice Practice Practice
Nice to see that it is possible - gives hope
Thanks
2015-4-5
Use props
jimhare
Captain
Australia

nilsblix@gmail. Posted at 2015-4-6 14:40
This was so nice - I can see you are a pro and I am a amateur . I was on a beach yesterday filming s ...

It's all good, takes a while to get it right and I've come home with some shocking footage in the past!

Keep the histogram and overexposure warning on and get it as bright as you can without blowing out the whites.  That's the best you can do really.  If it still comes out bad then it's more about the limitations of the camera than you.
2015-4-5
Use props
nilsblix
First Officer
  • >>>
Spain

Yes I think I have seen that if I try to lighten a footage to much post - it easily get grainy.
And my footage is of course just for fun and hobby - so I have to relax a bit on the quality. ( My wife and family think the footages I have done is greate ) So basically its a lot about preserving memories and have fun. ( But you know when you get obsessed of something - you want to get it right - or best possible )
2015-4-5
Use props
jimhare
Captain
Australia

nilsblix@gmail. Posted at 2015-4-6 15:06
Yes I think I have seen that if I try to lighten a footage to much post - it easily get grainy.
And  ...

Exactly!  It's all about having a great time and coming home with footage that you're happy with.

If you find yourself having to lighten footage that's the first clue that you're underexposing.   If anything it should almost be too bright (though not overexposed) and you have to bring it down a bit.

Shoot in LOG and as bright as you can, then bring the footage into the free version of DaVinci or use your editor to bring the color and contrast back.   Should look great!
Here's a before and after of how the footage should look in its raw state and then after color correction:

before after.jpg
2015-4-5
Use props
nilsblix
First Officer
  • >>>
Spain

Thanks for the instant lesson - you bet I will have that in mind !!
I shoot in log - Sharpness 0 , Contrast - 2, Saturation - 2
4 K 24 FPS

Editing FCP X - Color Finale
2015-4-5
Use props
jimhare
Captain
Australia

nilsblix@gmail. Posted at 2015-4-6 15:19
Thanks for the instant lesson - you bet I will have that in mind !!
I shoot in log - Sharpness 0 ,  ...

That's perfect, I guess the thing to focus on now is getting the best exposure you can while shooting.   Do some tests when you aren't documenting important family milestones.   Shoot the same subject using your current methods, then try exposing as high as you can without going over, then go over a bit on purpose and check out the results.   
2015-4-5
Use props
nilsblix
First Officer
  • >>>
Spain

I will - thanks for help - I really appreciate it.
2015-4-6
Use props
tim.durham00
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Great footage Jim, thanks for posting. I was in the Blue Mountains a couple of weeks ago and loved shooting there. Your tutorials are excellent, keep em coming
2015-4-7
Use props
garethgr
lvl.1
Flight distance : 366201 ft
United Kingdom

Wow, that is amazing. Keep them coming Jim!
2015-4-7
Use props
delas
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1372287 ft
Greece

very nice video, professionally graded, beautiful place. i have one question though! where this bokeh comes from? thanks for sharing your knowledge.  
2015-4-7
Use props
GB44
Captain
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

Jim,

I reckon you need to tweek some of that footage, its way too awesome.

Update on My aircraft:
Went out this evening to take some more footage whilst in flight and couldn't even get the aircraft off the ground.

Get a message on  the screen that says "Deserialiser disconnected"  "Solution:  Hardware malfunction, please contact customer service for repairing"

How much bad luck can I get !!

2015-4-7
Use props
Bobbybee
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Jim,
That footage is awesome, your also very brave thanks for sharing with us.
2015-4-7
Use props
rodger
Captain
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Gorgeous Jim! You are he man. Jim, are you using a Meter for your exposure or the Histogram in the Pilot Program? Your Exposure and Saturation is spot on. Are you doing much in Post?
Rodger
2015-4-7
Use props
rodger
Captain
  • >>>
United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-4-6 09:35

T ...

Jim, on this Post, are you still unsure on the Firmware? You have had the Inspire in the air now for quite a while, still uncomfortable with it?
2015-4-7
Use props
Karman
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1972 ft
Canada

Hi Jim - great footage! Like yourself I flew out over water the other day, I used one battery for a test flight (over land) and then the second battery for its maiden flight.(Over water)  I have a group of narrow trees leading out into the lake so I chose to fly out in Atti mode, even so I was very anxious about the Inspires flight so I know how you must have felt!   

Have you seen the Inspire sea landing video - his safety feature to avoid sinking is a great idea - here is the link:-

http://youtu.be/B3b-OwnEJ4E

Comments appreciated... I think you call it vegimite in Aus - I'm from the UK so our version is Marmite.  It's marketing strap is "Love it or Hate it" my point is that whilst I don't hate vignette or Marmite I think it can be over used (too much vignette in a scene or Marmite on your bread/toast) for me less is more, with your short video my attention was drawn to each corner and not the main subject. Just my taste no offense meant.
2015-4-7
Use props
jimhare
Captain
Australia

rodger Posted at 2015-4-8 02:37
Jim, on this Post, are you still unsure on the Firmware? You have had the Inspire in the air now f ...

Hi Rodger,

No, my experience has been 100% positive with the firmware.   

The fear comes from other posts where people say they flew 200 times perfectly and in the 201st it flew away and ignored commands from the remote.

But for me the Inspire has not given me any reasons to not trust it.
2015-4-7
Use props
jimhare
Captain
Australia

delas Posted at 2015-4-8 00:43
very nice video, professionally graded, beautiful place. i have one question though! where this boke ...

Hey Delas, thanks for that!   Yeah, bokeh artificiality added in post.   I needed a couple of time fillers that didn't show the ocean so had to dress up some otherwise uninspiring shots!   
2015-4-7
Use props
rjs21989
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2858701 ft
  • >>>
United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-4-6 15:12
Exactly!  It's all about having a great time and coming home with footage that you're happy with.

What settings did you have when you flew over the cliffs???
2015-4-7
Use props
jimhare
Captain
Australia

rodger Posted at 2015-4-8 02:35
Gorgeous Jim! You are he man. Jim, are you using a Meter for your exposure or the Histogram in the P ...

Thanks Rodger.   Not using anything other than the histogram and overexposure warning in the IOS app.   

My main tool is the overexposure meter, I adjust the shutter so a couple of the brightest spots in the image are barely overexposing and that way I know I'm good.   But make sure it's only a couple of small spots, not a lot.
2015-4-7
Use props
jimhare
Captain
Australia

rjs21989 Posted at 2015-4-8 05:15
What settings did you have when you flew over the cliffs???

Used my standard settings,  0 sharpness, -1 contrast -1 saturation.

ISO 100 with ND and then adjust shutter speed to whatever it has to be to not overexpose.
2015-4-7
Use props
rodger
Captain
  • >>>
United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-4-8 05:15
Thanks Rodger.   Not using anything other than the histogram and overexposure warning in the IOS ap ...

Thanks my friend., It must take a bit of time on the ground making the settings before you fly?
2015-4-7
Use props
rodger
Captain
  • >>>
United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-4-8 05:19
Used my standard settings,  0 sharpness, -1 contrast -1 saturation.

ISO 100 with ND and then adj ...

Sounds good, finally have weather here in New England so I can get flying again.
2015-4-7
Use props
jimhare
Captain
Australia

rodger Posted at 2015-4-8 05:34
Thanks my friend., It must take a bit of time on the ground making the settings before you fly?

Actually my entire process from car to air is about 6 minutes.   I bring the Inspire fully built and ready to fly.   I do my compass calibration and quick pre checks and I'm off.

You can only get a general idea of shutter speed from the ground, you have to get out to where you want to film, hover, and adjust as needed.   My standard settings all seem to stick fine from day to day so i just confirm they're still there in the pre check.
2015-4-7
Use props
lee.brannon
lvl.1

United States

I really enjoyed that. Man you have a beautiful place to fly and film. I downloaded DaVinci today. I edit with FCPx so I hoping I can learn DaVinci and camera settings from you videos.
2015-4-7
Use props
jimhare
Captain
Australia

rodger Posted at 2015-4-8 05:35
Sounds good, finally have weather here in New England so I can get flying again.

Guessing you'll get some stunning footage come the fall colors later in the year!   That will be spectacular!
2015-4-7
Use props
jimhare
Captain
Australia

Karman Posted at 2015-4-8 04:11
Hi Jim - great footage! Like yourself I flew out over water the other day, I used one battery for a  ...

Hey Karman,

Those landing floaties are cute!    Can't imagine they would have helped me though, I'd just see my baby floating out to sea from the cliffs rather than just see it plunge!

Yeah, vignettes polarize viewers!   I would never ever use them in drama, would be way too much like a soap opera,  but am very fond of them in art and music videos.

I'm the only one in my family that can't stand Vegemite too!   

Absolutely no offense taken, I knew when I put them in I would be splitting taste right down the middle!  
2015-4-7
Use props
Skippyo
lvl.4

Australia

Hi Jim, Helen and I used to scuba dive off Sydney and I never saw water that blue, you must have given a touch in post? All the same great, inspiring footage (no pun intended). I filmed from the lighthouse at Byron bay this morning so hopefully Helen will get that edited and we can post it up some time soon.
2015-4-7
Use props
jimhare
Captain
Australia

darmino Posted at 2015-4-8 09:58
Beautiful,  maybe a little to much contrast,  looks surreal but maybe thats the look you were going  ...

Thanks Darmino, it's an art piece so that's exactly what I was going for, contrasty and surreal!   Glad it translates that way.
2015-4-7
Use props
jimhare
Captain
Australia

Skippyo Posted at 2015-4-8 12:00
Hi Jim, Helen and I used to scuba dive off Sydney and I never saw water that blue, you must have giv ...

Awesome, love to see some footage when it's ready!
2015-4-7
Use props
rodger
Captain
  • >>>
United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-4-8 05:07
Hi Rodger,

No, my experience has been 100% positive with the firmware.   

I totally understand Jim. Same thoughts here! With the issues that have been posted it does make one uncomfortable and not at ease.I feel that the incidents reported are very minute compared to the amount of Inspires that are in the field.     i am along with you I don't to see mine say happy trails an go off into the sunset.
2015-4-8
Use props
rodger
Captain
  • >>>
United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-4-8 05:15
Thanks Rodger.   Not using anything other than the histogram and overexposure warning in the IOS ap ...

Jim, you are my Hero, love your style and really appreciate your insight. You are open to the community. Most Photographers will not share anything. Very jealous community1 You stand out from the crowd!
2015-4-8
Use props
rodger
Captain
  • >>>
United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-4-8 05:39
Actually my entire process from car to air is about 6 minutes.   I bring the Inspire fully built a ...

Thanks, viewing your work one would think that you spent a ton of time and battery life getting ready. I suppose that once you are familiar with the results it becomes second nature from past experience. I am that way with my Nikons, only takes a second or two to decide what I want for the end result and I usually nail it on the first shot. Everything comes with time and you have to shoot on a regular basis or the old computer in the coconut doesn't kick in until you look at what you have done. That is Photography
2015-4-8
Use props
jimhare
Captain
Australia

rodger Posted at 2015-4-9 09:41
Thanks, viewing your work one would think that you spent a ton of time and battery life getting re ...

Absolutely.   It's actually quite simple in the end.  ISO locked at 100, ND on, use shutter to go just below overexposed and you're ready to shoot!    On a more advanced system you'd have to balance aperture then consider what depth of field you want.   Kind of glad it's not an option, makes things really quick.
2015-4-8
Use props
Aerographis
lvl.1

United States

Nice presentation. I really prefer Vimeo to YouTube for ease of viewing. I also like the fact that Vimeo goes to Native Resolution and mattes out the rest of the screen in black. Really makes good work stand out.
2015-4-8
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-4-6 15:12

Hi Jim,
How large are your LOG files as compared to other formats? just wondering about how much space it takes on the mSD chip.  is it like RAW files?  I have not had a chance to try this yet, but I get the free version of the DaVinci program.... wow...

Rich
2015-4-8
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules