Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
loss of signal at about 300 feet
1337 9 2015-4-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
practisenjoy
New

United Kingdom

HI,
I have a 2+ and on a few occations I have lost signal at about 300 feet, I get the icon on my iphone saying lost signal. As far as i know everything is set up correctly.
please help
Johnathan Lewis

thank you
2015-4-13
Use props
johnwarr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

Its all about the flight environment, maintaining line of sight, and antenna orientation.
With so many variables every flight can be different.
2015-4-13
Use props
jtrjr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

Jonathan,

As Johnwarr stated, there are a lot of variables that could be limiting your range. One of the things that I learned from this forum is antenna orientation can have a big impact. Your video signal is coming from the range extender, the small white box on the front of the transmitter. Make sure the flat surface is pointing toward your Phantom. The small, white antenna is for craft control. That one got me when I first started flying. I was pointing the tip of the antenna at the Phantom when I should have been pointing the flat (side) of the antenna at the bird. Try those things first. Also, I found that I wasn't always pointing the transmitter towards the Phantom as I was flying it. I had to start paying more attention to make sure that I was keeping a clear path from the antennas to the bird, not just my eyes. Those few things helped me get better range, maybe they'll help you as well.

Jerry
2015-4-13
Use props
nrgwise
lvl.4

United States

jtrjr@yahoo.com Posted at 2015-4-13 20:54
Jonathan,

As Johnwarr stated, there are a lot of variables that could be limiting your range. One o ...

Off topic, sorry, but Jerry when you are looking at your email, Jake Malone is me. (A pseudonym I used years ago when I wrote a sometimes column for the Washington Star)
2015-4-13
Use props
jtrjr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

Nrg,

Got it. Haven't got to mail yet. I'm drinking my morning Joe getting caught up here, mail is next. Schedule is a little slower since retirement!

Jerry
2015-4-13
Use props
neil
lvl.1

United States

Concerning Range - I had the scariest experience ever with my Phantom2 Vision today. Using the Vision App in Android. DJI-mode, not NAZA,  Set home position in Google maps, verified that position in the "Find My Drone" section of the App, ran the compass calibration successfully and went to the map section of the App to set my waypoints for an autonomous mission. The mission was to fly from one end of a grass strip runway at an elevation of 200 ft. to the other end and return to a homepoint somewhere close to the middle of the runway. ( Did I mention, a private airstrip with permission?, Yes, with permission. ) So,  before I set my 4 waypoints, I pressed the button in the App to bring up the "radar" showing the coverage extent and set my waypoints within the blue circle. Satisfied with home being set and batteries being charged, somewhat, (key word) I went to the camera section of the App and started the video rolling, went to the mission page in the App and hit GO!. This, is where things begin to get scary, not that I wasn't trembling enough while programming the App. My partner with the binoculars said to take a deep breath, and lets go...so we did....and it took off and raised to the elevation of the first waypoint out in front of HOME point. I observed the craft head towards the end of the runway,( this is a 3/4mi runway ) approx.600 feet out, I see the message, CONNECTION BROKEN in the App...Great!, I thought, I am about to lose my Phantom, my Partner, who has sight of it in his binoculars, called out that it had stopped moving and was hovering, I began to walk towards the craft, It began to change course and head for Waypoint 3 at the opposite end of the runway. I had a long walk ahead and as I reached the halfway point of the runway, the craft passed overhead towards Waypoint 3. At about this time, the transmitter begins to beep, and the (1) green light (thanks dji) began to blink. The App screen is still displaying Connection Broken, the transmitter is beeping and flashing, and all I could think of was how to abort the mission with no wifi connection. I watched the screen display- Downloading Waypoints - AGAIN, so, I knew that the Wi-Fi had reconnected and I hit the return home button in the App where the craft went to the Home Point and I saw Landing appear in the App as the craft lowered. I needed a shot of Crown Royal at about this time and I suppose the craft did what it was supposed to do. I am practicing for my first Phantom gig...tomorrow...next to and alongside above (not directly) High Tension Power Wires and I am now concerned how the GPS or the Wi-Fi signal will react being that close to the Electromagnetic field surrounding the wires and what a safe altitude would be? Any suggestions will be appreciated. Peace
2015-4-16
Use props
davidw1963
lvl.2

United States

Once the info is "uploaded" into the Phantom, it will fly that mission despite loosing the wi fi signal or not. Only way to cancel the mission or fly normal is flip the RH switch up and down or turn the radio off.. I had to restart my app (Ultimate Flight) once after my bird took off and was already 300 ft up. It was already halfway through its route by time I got my phone restarted and app running again. It continued its "mission" without issue.
2015-4-17
Use props
neil.printmaxx
lvl.1

United States

davidw1963@att. Posted at 2015-4-17 19:27
Once the info is "uploaded" into the Phantom, it will fly that mission despite loosing the wi fi sig ...

Thanks for reiterating that to me, I am sure I had read it also, which was why I was surprised when I saw the app upload the waypoints at least a second time. Speaking of waypoints in the DJI Android Phantom2 Vision app, I noticed that the App will allow you to manually input an exact coordinate. I was given an exact coordinate set of LONG LAT numbers that had to be flown over and to at a second set of coordinates. Sounds easy right? I verified the exact coordinates with a separate GPS device and marked the spots, approximately 50 yards apart from each other,  I connected Wi-Fi with the Vision, I went into the App and set the compass then verified my HOME position in googmaps, went to the find my Phantom and verified that it too know where HOME was, I made my camera settings, swiped over to the mission planner screen, and set two waypoints in the general area of where the exact GPS coordinates were located. I tapped on one waypoint to see its details and manually inserted the GPS coordinates for both Lat. and Long. While editing these waypoint coordinates,  I noticed that after I had backspaced through all of the existing numbers that displayed, There was no negative symbol to preceed the digits causing me to cancel my editing and bring up the editing screen a second time to backspace through the digits only and leaving the "minus" since there was none in the editing screen to replace it with. Minor workaround to get the coordinates in, but it may be connected to this mission failure. I think the altitude was editable on that screen, nevertheless, I set all of my altitudes to 150ft. Mission Ready, I hit GO. The Vision lifted to the proper altitude and flew 90degrees opposite of the direction of the programmed waypoint, between 2 sets,  of high tension power transmission wires. While this was NOT its intended flightpath, I quickly realized I had to regain or try to regain control of the craft. I was in DJI mode, as opposed to Naza mode, so I flipped S-1 from GPS mode to the middle position and this apparently stopped the mission. I learned that it had passed basically unaffected through the wires at that altitude and was holding altitude. I oriented the craft back in my direction and brought it back and landed it manually. We decided not to try an autonomous flightpath and manually flew the craft and followed it on foot to its pre-marked GPS destination.
I learned that the stabilization of the P2vision was seemingly unaffected flying between those wires. It flew stable. I would never recommend anyone to fly between or that close to power transmission lines. This could have turned out so much worse than it did. The QuadGods must have been on my side.
I have flown autonomous missions successfully in the past. This was the first time I had manually tried to input the coordinates into the Android vision app. I suppose another thread should be started to address this tech issue as well.....Peace
2015-4-17
Use props
davidw1963
lvl.2

United States

neil.printmaxx Posted at 2015-4-18 09:02
Thanks for reiterating that to me, I am sure I had read it also, which was why I was surprised whe ...

I normally zoom the map real close then drag the waypoint to where I want it on the map from looking at the map photo, save it then zoom out.
2015-4-18
Use props
neil.printmaxx
lvl.1

United States

Hi David, thanks for the response. When I said I had to manually input the coordinates, I meant to convey that it was not a workaround causing me to input manually, the client was there and insisted that I input the coordinates, to 6 decimals as it was furnished by the surveyors....Peace
2015-4-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules