Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
How to quickly discharge the batteries?
17546 37 2015-4-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
crossfittb
lvl.4

United States

I got a message for one of my batteries saying it needed to be completely discharged and recharged before the next flight. I kept the battery in the bird and left it on to run the battery down. So far it's be running for 4 hours and still has not fully discharged. I have 6 total batteries. I know there must be a faster way to discharge them instead of waiting 4-5 hours for each battery.

Anyone have any suggestions for faster discharges?
2015-4-15
Use props
mitchell.lee.ap
lvl.1

United States

Just keep flying! To be honest I haven't done it yet, but on the DJI inspire 1 owners page on facebook a guy just posted a picture of him flying down to 8%
2015-4-15
Use props
fullyestablishe
lvl.3

United States

That is how I do it, fly it until it gives me the return to home message that I cancel. I keep it hovering until 8% then I put it down. I leave it switched on until it is at 0% and can no longer be switched on.
2015-4-15
Use props
crossfittb
lvl.4

United States

WOW! Not sure I want to try that with mine. Can't afford to spend another $3000 if it crashes.

I realize I can fly and drain the battery but for the times when I can't get out to fly it would be nice to have a way to discharge it faster.
2015-4-15
Use props
joekeantang
Second Officer

United States

Fly very low and have the bird near you at one point it will just land slowly,
2015-4-15
Use props
crossfittb
lvl.4

United States

Yeah I do that when I'm out flying but when I'm at home or at the office I don't have the time to set up the bird to fly. I was just looking for an easier and faster way to discharge the batteries and not have to wait 4-5 hours.
2015-4-15
Use props
Bkackman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3445020 ft
United States

Well don't try what I did....

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... age%3D1&lang=en
2015-4-15
Use props
fullyestablishe
lvl.3

United States

crossfittb@yaho Posted at 2015-4-16 08:07
WOW! Not sure I want to try that with mine. Can't afford to spend another $3000 if it crashes.

I re ...

I should have been clearer, from 18% to 8% I keep it only just above the ground with the landing gear down and stop just before a forced landing.
2015-4-16
Use props
Acidsnow
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13 ft
Canada

putting it into ATTI mode should prevent it from attempting to go home right? maybe that is an option? I attempted to cancel RTH but it still got jump start on me and started darting forward instead of up like it is supposed to . . . so that was dangerous . . . there has to be a better way . . .
2015-4-16
Use props
Acidsnow
Second Officer
Canada

fullyestablishe Posted at 2015-4-16 08:05
That is how I do it, fly it until it gives me the return to home message that I cancel. I keep it ho ...

I'm not sure draining a lipo completely to 0% is good, I read somewhere once if you do that it could kill it permanently . . . . have you done it already? what is the life meter say for your battery, are you still at 100%?
2015-4-16
Use props
fullyestablishe
lvl.3

United States

Acidsnow Posted at 2015-4-17 01:15
I'm not sure draining a lipo completely to 0% is good, I read somewhere once if you do that it cou ...

Yes I am at 100%, I followed the instructions in the manual that advised to discharge battery until it will no longer turn on. All batteries have been done and all responded perfectly. I am sure that the controller does not really flatten it to 0% but to a logical voltage floor with 0% being the lowest safe level.
2015-4-16
Use props
justin.mah
lvl.1

Canada

To drain the batteries, why don't you use the CSC to turn on the props while it is grounded? The inspire doesn't take off unless you increase the thrust and you'll use up battery faster that way.
2015-4-16
Use props
Sky High Aerial
lvl.4

Canada

fullyestablishe Posted at 2015-4-17 02:34
Yes I am at 100%, I followed the instructions in the manual that advised to discharge battery unti ...

I always fly my bird down to 8%.
How often do I discharge to 0% - how many cycles?
Do you just wait until the machine turns itself off?
2015-4-16
Use props
Acidsnow
Second Officer
Canada

fullyestablishe Posted at 2015-4-17 02:34
Yes I am at 100%, I followed the instructions in the manual that advised to discharge battery unti ...

ok, I believe the point of no return is if you get below 3v per cell - if that happens apparently its toast . . . I'll have to check what the readings are per cell next time I get it low . . . .
2015-4-16
Use props
markjacobs.talk
First Officer
Flight distance : 120784 ft
United Kingdom

Acidsnow Posted at 2015-4-17 03:13
ok, I believe the point of no return is if you get below 3v per cell - if that happens apparently  ...

0% on the Inspire equates to 3.50v per cell. (Cell graphics turn red)
2015-4-16
Use props
Bkackman
lvl.4
United States

justin.mah Posted at 2015-4-17 02:54
To drain the batteries, why don't you use the CSC to turn on the props while it is grounded? The ins ...

Justin, I did just what you suggest and it did try to take off when it reached about 30 percent...

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... lang=en&lang=en
2015-4-16
Use props
Abe
Second Officer
Flight distance : 524032 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bkackman Posted at 2015-4-17 04:45
Justin, I did just what you suggest and it did try to take off when it reached about 30 percent... ...

I'm guessing that what caused it to take off was that at 30% it triggered RTH (return to home), and tried to lift to the preset RTH altitude. If you were indoors with no GPS when you started the Inspire, it may have thought that the home point was at the last place you flew it.
2015-4-16
Use props
Bob Marley
Second Officer

United States

Paper clip -
2015-4-16
Use props
justin.mah
lvl.1

Canada

Bkackman Posted at 2015-4-17 04:45
Justin, I did just what you suggest and it did try to take off when it reached about 30 percent... ...

Crap, I'm sorry to hear that. Others seemed to have done it without issue. Did the DJI pilot app warn you of RTH? I thought that the Inspire wouldn't attempt to RTH if the home point was not successfully recorded (because of no GPS signals indoors).
2015-4-17
Use props
Bkackman
lvl.4
United States

justin.mah Posted at 2015-4-17 23:20
Crap, I'm sorry to hear that. Others seemed to have done it without issue. Did the DJI pilot app wa ...

I actually think it might have tried to warn me. I was doing a couple of other things, but kind of remember the "voice" before the event.
2015-4-17
Use props
John Anderson
lvl.1

South Africa

crossfittb@yaho Posted at 2015-4-16 02:07

I re ...

I crashed yesterday. It was horrific to watch. I started up as normal, only for some reason the controller paddle jammed full throttle reverse.. so when I lifted. Let's just say I flew at 50km/h into a cement wall mere inches off the ground. Turns out any particles that your case picks up etc. can become lodged in the controler and you too could watch your investment obliterate before your very eyes.
2016-3-2
Use props
GiacApp
lvl.1
Flight distance : 559301 ft
Italy

John Anderson Posted at 2016-3-2 21:20
I crashed yesterday. It was horrific to watch. I started up as normal, only for some reason the co ...

Same thing happened to me!
Some days ago after carrying out all normal procedures before take-off I switched the engines on, took the bird at 1,5mt and suddenly the aircraft moved backwars at full speed.
It stroke my leg with one propeller and then a plant behinde me. It twisted 2 seconds within the plant, then suddenly came out fast and stopped in hovering at 5mt from me... At that point I made it land normally!
My inspire is not damaged, props and landing gears are ok (but not my leg).
After a check I tried another take-off and all worked properly.
Looking at the flight log, it seems that the remote controller sent the input "backwards" for a few seconds (whereas I am sure I didn't!)...
2016-5-22
Use props
Tharg (from the
First Officer
Flight distance : 120784 ft
United Kingdom

John Anderson Posted at 2016-3-2 20:20
I crashed yesterday. It was horrific to watch. I started up as normal, only for some reason the co ...

So you applied throttle without being cognisant of your cyclic not being at zero? Brilliant!
Or did you use that idiotic auto take off thing? Again, not the brightest thing to do without confirming your sticks are at neutral.
2016-5-22
Use props
RearViewMirror
lvl.4

I pretty much do the same as the others. I have my low battery set to 30% so I start to bring it back home. 15% activates the RTH which I cancel. I fly it around close until it drops to 10% then let it hover until 5% and put her down. I do that every time with each battery unless I know I'm going to be flying at a different location with enough juice to get the shot I want. I've got the standard TB47 battery that came with it and four TB48 batteries.
2016-5-22
Use props
garethdclarke
New
Flight distance : 28176 ft
United Kingdom

Is it advisable to discharge the battery fully if I am not going to be using the dron e for 3 weeks!?! I'm traveling to Bali, from the UK, and although I've still not decided if I'm going to take it with me I just want to be prepared........ I've already contacted the CAA equivalent in Indonesia and as long as it's kept with 250mtrs of the ground they appear to not be bothered?!?! Just need to confirm the flight requirements for the drone :-)
2016-8-3
Use props
R&L Aerial
Captain
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Fly till it crashes, best way.
2016-8-3
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

garethdclarke Posted at 2016-8-4 05:20
Is it advisable to discharge the battery fully if I am not going to be using the dron e for 3 weeks! ...

If you're not going to take the aircraft with you and they're pretty full, you would want to discharge them to the 50% range. If you do plan to take it, you would want to follow your airline's requirements for LiPo batteries. If there is no charge requirement, then you could leave them at that percentage.
2016-8-3
Use props
nadim
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2859921 ft
  • >>>
Jordan

I'll give you the fast but idont know if it's a good way but this is what I do , it takes only between 5-7 minutes to discharge each battery

I start up the aircraft and hold it with one hand from the top and throttle it up and in same time keep it on the ground
2016-8-3
Use props
dickfantastic
lvl.1
Flight distance : 584829 ft
United States

Build a simple DIY battery discharger with some light bulbs.  I googled this, DJI Inspire 1 Battery Discharger, got links to a good youtube video or two about the process.  Definitely better than flying until its really low.  
2016-8-3
Use props
Aeromirage
Captain
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>

Another benefit of having the smart power charger.
Fly battery down to 15% and it will discharge the remainder and recharge automatically. Plus it will do this on any of the 4 stations independent of the others.
See: http://forum.dji.com/thread-52117-1-1.html

2016-8-4
Use props
aknauer
lvl.1
Flight distance : 793041 ft
New Zealand

I'm using the additional remote controller charge cable with an added XT60 plug pair inserted.
To discharge I connect this cable to a standard RC Lipo charger from HobbyKing and use the Lipo Discharge program down to 3.5V.
Re-charging with the DJI charger, or a PD charging program in the RC Lipo charger.
The DJI Charger only supplies a voltage to the battery - so any other source with the right voltage selected will do. The balancing and charging logic happens in the battery.
This seems to work well and will get rid of the repeated discharge warning in the GoApp.
2016-8-4
Use props
cazinoaz6
lvl.1

United States

mitchell.lee.ap Posted at 2015-4-15 15:57
Just keep flying! To be honest I haven't done it yet, but on the DJI inspire 1 owners page on facebook a guy just posted a picture of him flying down to 8%

Why doesn't setting the discharge setting in the GO app. work for me? I set it to one day and days later it's still charged.
2017-2-24
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

cazinoaz6 Posted at 2017-2-24 13:42
Why doesn't setting the discharge setting in the GO app. work for me? I set it to one day and days later it's still charged.

Did you at any point check to see if it was going down by hitting the power button once? If so, the activity does reset the timer for discharge. If you did so once a day, for instance, the timer would be reset to another full day before attempting to discharge.
2017-2-24
Use props
protocrash
lvl.1
Greece

Hey guys, didn't see it mentioned here so thought I'd point it out...

You may want to check out the Phantom Angel dedicated discharger/calibrator (http://phantomangel.rocks). Mainly used by professional operators but could still be useful for people who need to take care of multiple batteries...

2017-5-28
Use props
Nick 603
lvl.1
Flight distance : 149587 ft
United Arab Emirates

Hello Gentlemen, i got a message before flying my inspire 1 : "Battery Cycling required,  Fully Charge then Fully Discharge then Fully Charge  i am actually a bit worried of flying it afraid of a sudden stop of the battery, . i already discharged the batter to 0% by keeping it on and not flying it, second I'm flowing the instruction and charging it to 50% only, can any one give me an advice if faced this message before "
2018-7-23
Use props
Drones Toronto
lvl.3
Flight distance : 953596 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Acidsnow Posted at 2015-4-16 09:15
I'm not sure draining a lipo completely to 0% is good, I read somewhere once if you do that it could kill it permanently . . . . have you done it already? what is the life meter say for your battery, are you still at 100%?

I have drained the batteries to zero several times when required to reset the algorithm.   It even flies for a few seconds below zero, sometimes one minute or more.  No harm done.  Keep it low with camera off.
2018-7-24
Use props
fansf77370fb
First Officer
Flight distance : 1008924 ft

I find the easiest way to discharge her battery is over at a few inches off the ground till the battery is dead in the drawing lands.  I discharge my batteries every 10 cycles and bring them back up to hundred %. Never had an issue.
2018-7-25
Use props
vodkanetmsn.com
lvl.4
Flight distance : 364856 ft
Canada

Need faster way ,got 60 batteries.
2023-8-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules