Beaver Pond video
1790 24 2015-4-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

Nothing fancy, a quick edit - literally like 10 minutes - and let it process as I went out for food.  I am all charged up and ready to fly tonight.  Going back to Lower Pond to actually get beaver in the video and then on to chase freight trains.  When it gets dark I plan on trying a flight at a spot where I can get the lights of the village or better yet, North Adams as that is bigger than Williamstown and almost looks like a city.

The geese at Beaver Pond were not happy with me being there.  They squawked and squawked and scrambled away so there is not much of them actually on cam and when there is they are in the distance mostly and hard to pick out.  I really am not into disturbing the wildlife just for the benefit of a video.  So when you see me hovering, if you watch, seemingly looking at nothing but a pine tree with a hump next to it in it's shadow, the hump is the beaver hut and I can't believe I never thought about the shadow and the time of day I was there.  I have been there thousands of times.  And actually that hut is the new one.  The old one is in the middle of the pond and is what the geese were standing on on the left of the frame (the little island to the left of the ice with two geese on it).

So I have a digital recorder for natural sound at Lower Pond tonight.  The peepers and frogs are singing like there is no tomorrow.

Again, nothing fancy.  

I would say 'next up Jiminy Peak' but it all depends on if I get anything useful tonight.

ETA: I got a lot of useful stuff.

Cheers!

2015-4-16
Use props
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

As this is such an interesting topic, I will update:

1.  Went back to Lower Pond and I think I can safely say the beavers like the Phantom even less than the geese did at Beaver Pond.  There were three active when I arrived.  I started the recorder, placed it, watched the pond for about 5 minutes.  They were all over the place.  I went back and set up, then walked over to the same spot in the road as before, took off and went at it.  As soon as Dozbot was over the water (and anyone who doesn't think the rotor wash from this quad is not a factor, it was looking like that show in the 70's where they always drove those air boats...Dennis Weaver perhaps?  Jeez, I am showing my age, any time I was less than two feet over the water.  I need a separate video camera!)   Anyway, as soon as it was over the water, all beaver disappeared.  No matter the altitude, they did not show.  {video here}

2. I missed the freight train by 5 minutes.  I heard it and decided on a different location on the fly - like I was driving to the crossing, heard the whistle, knew I missed it, made a right instead of going straight at the light.  I went to a place known as Henderson Hill.  It is on the north east side of Williamstown.  I decided that since I missed the train and I am winging it, let's do a GS flight.  So I set the flight up at random points with altitudes slightly higher than I was (no way to hit a tree that way, I was already @75 above everything below me) and let her rip.  The farthest point I set was 3500 feet.  I never lost contact and always had video.  At no point after the first 20 seconds or before the last 20 seconds could I see the quad.  The mountains are brutal for visuals when in open space. {video here}

3.  Last stop was the same location in general as I would have gone for the train.  On the road to Transfer Pond is the train crossing, transfer station (where you take your garbage), water treatment plant (if you have Town water - I don't), and in the surrounding area is the Hoosic River, the Town Hwy. Dept., the largest landscaping company in the area, one of the oldest farms in the town.  I did another GS flight here and when done and saw the battery was not even close to where I wanted it, did some more flying.  {video here}

All in all, I don't care if the video I got is all crap.  I had a great night of flying.
2015-4-16
Use props
jtrjr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

Good for you Chris! Me too! Read your notes but don't have time for anything else right now. Wife is waiting for me! Glad you had a good time! Catch up later.

Jerry
2015-4-16
Use props
iracer99
lvl.2
Flight distance : 74780 ft
United States

Hey Chris,
Enjoy hearing your stories! Looking forward to more vids.

Trains no longer run where I live, but I flew down a section of track in the hills close to where I live last weekend, very overgrown with brush, and a couple of places where the track was hanging in mid air. Kinda cool vid, but needs to be sped up so it won't be so boring. What editor would you recommend? I have access to WinXP, Win7, and Win8.

Thanks.
Happy flying,
Tommy
2015-4-16
Use props
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

iracer99@gmail. Posted at 2015-4-17 11:03
Hey Chris,
Enjoy hearing your stories! Looking forward to more vids.

I have only used two  - GoPro studio - free and not bad and Final Cut Pro X - costs and is excellent.  I use FCP.  THere are lots of threads here where people discuss their editors.  A search might give you a better recommendation.
2015-4-17
Use props
birdfolk5555
lvl.3

United States

'Ere ya go. (Dennis Weaver---McCloud)
2015-4-17
Use props
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

birdfolk5555 Posted at 2015-4-17 21:03
'Ere ya go. (Dennis Weaver---McCloud)

McCloud - Thank you.  I could picture it perfectly just could not remember the name.
2015-4-17
Use props
jtrjr
Second Officer
United States

nrgwise Posted at 2015-4-17 09:05

1.  Went back to Lower Pond and I think I can  ...

Chris,

So thankful that we got to have some fun yesterday! Seems like I spend all of my time these days tinkering with things, posting here, getting a little flight in every now and again. Then whammo! A single day of nothing but flying! (I know you had to work part of the day) I just got to watch "The Beaver Pond". Cool video! You're right about the prop wash on the water. I did some close stuff on the river and was surprised at how high the bird can be and you can still see the ripples in the water. I've got more video from yesterday than I know what to do with. I'll have to start looking it over today to see what I got. I see your ice still isn't all gone, nice flying over it! Ice is out here but might not be at the lake. I'll find that out on Sunday. Loved seeing the Geese in the video, for some reason I really like seeing the wildlife. I love your stories as well. That's the only reason I did it in my last videos. Gives the viewer something to tie into the video. Sound like you had a plan, didn't go quite the way you wanted but you had a great time! (Bad plan well executed better than no plan at all!) I've got some clips of the "evergreens" we spoke about, I'll post them up later. A lot harder than I thought but I'm getting there. Bird would flip itself between GPS and ATTI the lower I got. Really good practice. I really like your stories and your videos. I know some may get bored with this kind of stuff but I love it! Kind of like a payoff for all of the studying and work. Keep 'em comin', I'll keep watchin' 'em!

(BTW, how do you change the video link name? Ie, "Beaver Pond")

Jerry
2015-4-17
Use props
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

jtrjr@yahoo.com Posted at 2015-4-17 21:52
Chris,

So thankful that we got to have some fun yesterday! Seems like I spend all of my time these ...
Jerry,

When you hit the insert link button (chain links with green plus sign on it in the message header) it opens an input box - link goes in top line, text you want associated with link in lower box and press done.

Okay, evergreen flight - did you get all the way through?  I am anxious to see your vids, especially from the river.  I am sure you have a lot to go through.  I have three long videos to edit down from yesterday.  Will try to get to them today.  I have rain here today so no go for flying so might as well do the video work.  The pond I flew myself, the other two are GS flights with some added footage at the end to discharge batteries.  Beaver Pond is the only one with ice still.  It is in shadow all morning.

Enjoy the day!

Chris

2015-4-17
Use props
i_anderson
lvl.2

United States

nrgwise Posted at 2015-4-17 09:05

1.  Went back to Lower Pond and I think I can  ...

Hey Chris,

You  (& Jerrys 16 batteries!) ) are positively 'inspirational'.

You're using DJI's 'standard' Vision app right? 3500ft distance without losing either feed? Wow! ("We don't need no stinkin' long range antennas!) What speed did you set her at?

I know I don't (yet anyway) have the cojones to launch her into the darkness like that - congrats!

Cheers,
Ian
2015-4-17
Use props
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

i_anderson@iclo Posted at 2015-4-17 22:20
Hey Chris,

You  (& Jerrys 16 batteries!) ) are positively 'inspirational'.

Ian,
Yes, standard app and equipment.  I think I got that because when I flew from Henderson Hill, I was already above everything so there was absolutely nothing between me and the bird.  Of course I could not see it against the mountains, but Dozbot came home.

All my GS flights have been at the MID speed setting.

Chris
2015-4-17
Use props
Raybro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11099 ft
United States

nrgwise Posted at 2015-4-17 22:31
Ian,
Yes, standard app and equipment.  I think I got that because when I flew from Henderson Hill, ...

Chris,
Question about what you are using for Vision app and GS. Are you using an IPad or Android?
2015-4-17
Use props
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

Raybro Posted at 2015-4-17 23:14
Chris,
Question about what you are using for Vision app and GS. Are you using an IPad or Android?

Ray,
Right now I am using an iPhone 5s.  I will be getting an iPad mini at some point.  But as long as I have glasses with me I don't have a problem with the iPhone.  I just have to decide if I am going to be looking at the screen (need the glasses) or the quad (don't need glasses).  I use the DJI Vision app (only one I have).
Chris
2015-4-17
Use props
Raybro
lvl.4
United States

nrgwise Posted at 2015-4-17 23:34
Ray,
Right now I am using an iPhone 5s.  I will be getting an iPad mini at some point.  But as long ...

Ok, thanks. Are you using IOS 8.3? Just wondering because there is another thread on the GroundStation side that talks about having some issues with 8.3, GS, and maps. Haven't upgraded to 8.3 yet because I am afraid of losing my GS capability which I like very much.
Great video....still looks a little chilly up there. We are having thunderstorms starting up, about the time I get home from work so I have been missing out on flight time recently.
Ray
2015-4-17
Use props
jtrjr
Second Officer
United States

nrgwise Posted at 2015-4-17 22:19
Jerry,

When you hit the insert link button (chain links with green plus sign on it in the message h ...

Chris,

Thanks for the info. Okay, Evergreens-I'll let you be the judge. I'm uploading some to YouTube as I write. Remember, it is boring. I really just did it because of our previous discussion. I'm sure there are much better pilots who will think this is childish. It's not for me. Some thoughts: It is a great way to practice. The bird goes in an out of GPS/ATTI by itself as the trees block and regain the signal. Makes for tricky flying for me. I can definitely feel the improvement the more I practice. I think it's going to help with future videos. I plan to continue using this as a way to improve my flying skills. I'm no where near putting up any actual "River" videos yet. I got more video in a day than I've every had before. It's going to take a while just to get through it. Then I've got to edit it way down or it'll just bore people. Anyway, I don't expect anyone to watch the "practice" video all the way through except for you! It's only about 4 minutes so you'll survive.

Jerry
2015-4-17
Use props
jtrjr
Second Officer
United States

Chris,

Where's the other video that Ian is talking about? All I saw was Beaver Pond?

Jerry
2015-4-17
Use props
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

Raybro Posted at 2015-4-17 23:44
Ok, thanks. Are you using IOS 8.3? Just wondering because there is another thread on the GroundSta ...
Ray,

Yes, iOS 8.3.  The only problem I have had is the map doesn't show right away.  Sometimes I have to switch back and forth between screens to get the map.  Last night, it showed up right away both times I used GS.  Beaver Pond is in shadow all morning.  It is the only pond around that still has ice.

Chris
2015-4-17
Use props
Raybro
lvl.4
United States

nrgwise Posted at 2015-4-18 00:13
Ray,

Yes, iOS 8.3.  The only problem I have had is the map doesn't show right away.  Sometimes I ha ...

Ok, well I just checked my email and finally got an answer from them:

Dear Ray,
Thank you for contacting DJI Technical Support.

It seems there is some compatible issue between IOS 8.3&vision app.
I have reported this info to our R&D department .
Any further update, i will inform you immediately.

Thank you for choosing DJI.

Best Regards,

2015-4-17
Use props
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

jtrjr@yahoo.com Posted at 2015-4-18 00:05
Chris,

Where's the other video that Ian is talking about? All I saw was Beaver Pond?

Jerry,
I didn't see Ian mention another video.  Did I miss something?  I installed the FCPX software on my MacBook so today, while I wait for the phone company to come and our phone lines here in the office, I am editing video.  I can't process and upload until I get home.  But when I do, this afternoon I will have at least 4 videos to upload.  

I figured you had a lot of video and would not expect to see all of it in one day.  As long as you post links, I will watch!

Chris

ETA: I see what you are reading now...he mentions the 3500 feet from my description.  I haven't posted that video yet.  It is the next one to get processed and will be up after work.
2015-4-17
Use props
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

Raybro Posted at 2015-4-18 00:18
Ok, well I just checked my email and finally got an answer from them:

Dear Ray,

Ray,

Well I don't seem to have any problems.  Maybe it is specific to certain devices?  All works well for me so far.  I can understand your trepidation though.

Chris
2015-4-17
Use props
Raybro
lvl.4
United States

nrgwise Posted at 2015-4-18 00:29
Ray,

Well I don't seem to have any problems.  Maybe it is specific to certain devices?  All works  ...

Right. I am mainly concerned about the GS for Ipad since I don't have the Vision+ model. But there was a post in the GS thread about someone having an issue with the Vision+ app after updating to IOS 8.3 which I think they got worked out. Thanks Chris.
Ray
2015-4-17
Use props
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

Okay, very productive day at the office today.  I have 5 videos ready for music and the processing to upload.  Can't do that until I am home.
2015-4-17
Use props
oakspi
lvl.4

United States

Energy, I'm not used to seeing everything so brown. Here is what I see.....http://youtu.be/jYb7OBKP6Qo
2015-4-18
Use props
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

oakspi Posted at 2015-4-19 00:56
Energy, I'm not used to seeing everything so brown. Here is what I see.....Green in image

Very nice location and nice video.  Nice maneuvering around the house and trees.

Give me a couple more weeks and everything will be green here as well.
2015-4-18
Use props
oakspi
lvl.4

United States

I'll be looking forward to your next video....Thanks
2015-4-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules