City of Austin lifts ban on drones.
1954 8 2015-4-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Raybro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11099 ft
United States

A few weeks ago I was on my way home and had the radio on. It was right before SXSW in Austin. The chief of police made an announcement stating anyone operating a drone in the city will be arrested on site. Being the liberal town that it is with a theme like "keep Austin weird", I think that peed some people off.

http://www.myfoxaustin.com/story ... ess-owner-speak-out

2015-4-17
Use props
Barney Rubbel
Second Officer
United States

Wow! I never heard anyone mention that. I fly around in the city limits often and have never had an issue. Of course if someone were to fly over SXSW while in full swing, they SHOULD have their drone taken from them. After that idiot ran down all those folks at ACL, they are pretty on edge about safety downtown.    Barney
2015-4-17
Use props
tonyray955
lvl.3

United States

I have a friend who was told by the Carson City Sheriff he can't fly his phantom in the city park yet people that have the small park size RC planes can and do.
2015-4-17
Use props
Raybro
lvl.4
United States

Barney Rubbel Posted at 2015-4-18 07:24
Wow! I never heard anyone mention that. I fly around in the city limits often and have never had an  ...

Yes, that was terrible. They need to focus on the DUI problem more than worry about someone flying a little quad around.
2015-4-17
Use props
bahamasboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13845 ft
United States

Way to go Austin!!!  All you "weird people".....ENJOY YOUR FLYING AND SEND US VIDEOS!!!!
2015-4-17
Use props
jonathan
lvl.2

United States

Wow! I had no idea about that warning until I heard that our city council fixed it.  I can understand not flying around lots of people in case one of these were to fall out of sky . . . even in the huge Zilker Park, on a nice weekend, it's too packed to be safe flying.

I have seen some of those planes that fly out there, many are really light weight (at least the ones I saw were styrofoam and/or lightweight plastic).  I would be less concerned about those doing much damage when compared to my P2V+.

I need to look for that threat the chief made about flying and being arrested! Insane.

2015-4-17
Use props
don
lvl.3
Flight distance : 26821 ft

United States

I would like to fly in Austin tomorrow and get some images of the skyline.
2015-4-17
Use props
Raybro
lvl.4
United States

jonathan@gatehe Posted at 2015-4-18 11:10
Wow! I had no idea about that warning until I heard that our city council fixed it.  I can understan ...

I was listening to 590KLBJ....Jeff Ward show when it came on. It was just a day or 2 before SXSW.
2015-4-18
Use props
jonathan
lvl.2

United States

Ah! I listen to Jeff all the time. I think he has his shows someplace online. Thanks!
2015-4-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules