2723 15 2015-4-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mani
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2233904 ft
  • >>>
Romania

Hope somebody here has an answer to my problem, as I noticed something which looks like a serious threat to the safely of my Inspire.
As we all know, the engines of the Inspire are slightly inclined to exterior, also the landing gear on the right and left side.

Today I noticed that my right carbon fiber boom (I hope this is the correct title, the carbon arm that support the right side engines) has a slight move, being loose.
And that seems to be a serious problem, as it changes the position of the engines, as you can observe in the photos attached.
Today I noticed the right boom is not inclined to exterior and I move it very slowly in the correct position, using as example the position of the left carbon fiber boom, and I had no problem flying.
But this seems a serious problem and I don't want to check the positions of the booms every flight, as we're talking of only few milimeters of difference.
Also I believe the angle of this booms should be calculated precisely, by a computer, not just fixed by hand.
The Left Carbon Fiber Boom doesn't move at all, also the seal of the Right Carbon Fiber Boom presents sings of usage, as the boom is slowly turning left and right.

How can I fix this problem ? Do I need to contact DJI Service ?
Hopefully there is a way to fix this without having to send my bird to DJI Support Europe, as it will keep me off flying for at least 4 weeks.
Otherwise my Inspire flies great, no problem so far, please have a look at the photos and let me know if you have a solution to fix this problem.
Thanks.

p.s I tried several times to attach the photos, all I get is ''upload error:500''. Does anyone else knows another way to upload photos on this forum ?
2015-4-25
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
Flight distance : 234590 ft
United States

This thing where the booms are getting loose i thought might happen because each boom is always pulling in opposite directions, and I also believe the canted position is why the bird when in atti with any wind will drift very quickly picking up speed as she goes , wind getting under the props wash and kicking  her in the direction of the wind now tilting with the wind and moving out even faster , if you don't take action ! There is a post on YouTube of the inspire vibration fix installing thicker rubber shims ...
2015-4-25
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

Link please?

I'm coming up on 100 flights and I want to take her apart and check everything, make sure everything is copacetic for the next 100

Bob
2015-4-25
Use props
mani
lvl.4
  • >>>
Romania

Can't find a way to upload the photos, I receive constantly a notification ''upload error : 500'' so I created a new thread on InspirePilots forum, please have a look and let me know if you have a solution to my problem, thanks.

http://www.inspirepilots.com/thr ... -boom-problem.2488/
2015-4-26
Use props
mani
lvl.4
  • >>>
Romania

Finally i can upload photos, maybe some one can help.
Right Carbon Fiber Boom Correct Position.jpg
Right Carbon Fiber Boom Incorrect Position.jpg
2015-4-27
Use props
mani
lvl.4
  • >>>
Romania

You can see how the slight twist of the carbon fiber boom affects the quality of the warranty seal, altough it was never removed.
Left Carbon Fiber Seal.jpg
Right Carbon Fiber Seal .JPG
2015-4-27
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

Check the tightness of the positioning arm below the main boom.  It may have come loose.  Also when you move from travel mode to flight mode make sure that you are on a smooth surface where the arms can move freely.  The angle is specified to be between 4-5 degrees.  
2015-4-27
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-4-28 03:53
Check the tightness of the positioning arm below the main boom.  It may have come loose.  Also when  ...

It would be LOVELY to have a maintenance manual that has that content IN it ("the angle is specified to be between 4 and 5 degrees") - think how many other things the more technically inclined, advanced users can check for in preflight to avoid Bad Outcomes.  It doesn't mean anyone would be doing component-level repair to circuit boards but knowing exactly that to look for (rather than "anything unusual") would be a huge help.  We work in high-end corporate video and broadcast, and with ALL our other equipment we have volumes of tech guides so we know if something's not quite right - but this bird is completely opaque.
2015-4-27
Use props
mani
lvl.4
  • >>>
Romania

Check the tightness of the positioning arm below the main boom.  It may have come loose.  Also when  ...

Thank you very much Ed, meanwhile I talked today with people from DJI Support Europe in Germany, and I have to say I was pleasant surprised with their service, very nice people, wonderful conversation, they were really trying to help me with this matter in a very professional way.

However the news are not so great for me, as they told me that they have a special calibration machine, for aligning the carbon fiber booms, so the position of the engines is accurate.
I sned them also photos and a description of my problem, but maybe they were afraid that i would  overtighten those screws.

It would be great for me do this on my own, it will save me a lot of time, as I am located in Romania and it will take minimum 2 weeks to have my bird back, for a repair procedure they told me it will take maximum 1 hour.

So my question for you is : when you're saying ''check tightness of the positioning arm below the main boom'' you refer to the 2 silver screws located above the warranty seal ?
It will be safe to try to adjust the arm by myself, using as example the left arm, and tighten those screws myself ?
That would be really great, please clarify that for me.
2015-4-27
Use props
Ph02on
lvl.3
Flight distance : 75673 ft
United Kingdom

I saw a similar issue from another I1 owner on FB.  He fixed his by removing the 2 part plastic cover surrounding the centre of the boom  (doing this will obviously void your warranty).  Removing the cover and possible rubber shims (it seems not all models have them) exposes 2 metal compression collars that locate into a formed groove on the plastic covers.  He fixed his by adding a single layer of insulation electrical tape to the exposed half of the collar to pad it out and then re assembled the cover.  I notice from the CF pattern on yours, that your model is the same and may actually lack the rubber shims that are definitely fitted to the later versions.
I am guessing that adding the tape or installing the shims has the effect of increasing the compression on the collars. This will raise  the frictional load and thus help prevent any unwanted, excess rotation of the boom.  I have a couple of pictures, but I too was having problems uploading, so apologies if they do not upload.

Jason

compression collar.jpg
taped collar.jpg
2015-4-27
Use props
mani
lvl.4
  • >>>
Romania

Ph02on Posted at 2015-4-28 04:39
I saw a similar issue from another I1 owner on FB.  He fixed his by removing the 2 part plastic cove ...

Thank you very much Jason, but I think the solution above is addressed to vibration of the carbon fiber boom.
I checked his videos, and the symptoms are different.
His carbon fiber boom vibrates very clearly, mine doesn't vibrate at all, it is just slightly twisting from left to right, only when you apply gentle pressure on it.
Hope you understand my explanation, sorry, english is not my first language.
In his case, when he moves the carbon fiber arm from left to right, it moves a little bit independently from the aircraft, like the entire joint is loose.
In my case, when I move the carbon fiber arm from lef tto right, it moves togehter with the aircraft and it seems very rigid, well connected with the arm.
Only when I twisted gently it moves from left to right, around 1-2 mm, not much, but enought to change the angle of the engines.
Hope I clarified my issue, thank you once again for help.
2015-4-27
Use props
mani
lvl.4
  • >>>
Romania

Please let me know what do you mean by "positioning arm below the main boom." Thank you
2015-4-28
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

There is a link that aligns the arms as they move.  DJI Germany is correct.  There is a jig that allows for precise adjustment of the arms after any repair.  It does require that the unit be returned to DJI however.
2015-4-28
Use props
arunmehta
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120909757 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-4-28 20:50
There is a link that aligns the arms as they move.  DJI Germany is correct.  There is a jig that all ...

Tahoe Ed could you explain what you mean by:
{ "link"  that aligns the arms as they move..}

Thanks i really appreciate your answer
For us in Canada it is very expensive just to send the inspire to LA for diagnosis ($200 each way=$400)
2015-4-28
Use props
kingwaisze
lvl.1

United States

So what is the outcome? Send back to DJI for service?
2015-10-3
Use props
mani
lvl.4
  • >>>
Romania

kingwaisze Posted at 2015-10-3 21:04
So what is the outcome? Send back to DJI for service?

Yes, you have to send it back to DJI for service, as they have a special machine which calibrates the carbon fiber booms at the correct angle.
2015-10-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules