Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
johnwarr
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

Firmware Updates on April 27, 2015
Overview:
a) Flight controller firmware has been updated to v3.14.
Major New Features
a) No-Fly Zones have been updated to include a 1.2 km radius centered on the Imperial Palace and a 1 km radius centered on the Prime Minister's Official Residence, both in Tokyo, Japan.

Just a heads up for those, like me, that want to keep updated...
2015-4-27
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
United Kingdom

2015-4-27
Use props
Yug
lvl.4

Australia

Thanks John

Drat too late to do the palace from above!!

Are you waiting or diving in? I will look but can you tell us is that all they have said is included?

EDIT: Yes the release notes confirm that is all.

Yug
2015-4-27
Use props
stock12to32
lvl.3

United States

I can't afford my phantom to be buggy right now as I have big plans with it this week and next so I will not be one of the testers this time around. Good luck to the front runners trying the new update and please report all findings good and bad.
2015-4-27
Use props
Yug
lvl.4

Australia

stock12to32 Posted at 2015-4-27 19:57
I can't afford my phantom to be buggy right now as I have big plans with it this week and next so I  ...

If the release notes are the truth the whole truth then there is no hurry to update.

Yug
2015-4-27
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
United Kingdom

Living in the UK it is highly unlikely that I will be able to test the new no-fly zone anytime soon...
I update for the things they don't tell us about....lol

Edit
That pic Is my phantom, already updated...
2015-4-27
Use props
Larry L
lvl.3

United States

Why a firmware update for this? No offense but I do not plan to travel to Tokyo or anywhere out of USA any time in the near or distant future.  What about the battery issues that there was a update for & then pulled it. They have been saying since December that they will have a update soon!
2015-4-27
Use props
Yug
lvl.4

Australia

Larry L Posted at 2015-4-27 22:22
Why a firmware update for this? No offense but I do not plan to travel to Tokyo or anywhere out of U ...

Yes the battery firmware thing is odd. I have 3 batteries and all three have different firmware!

Yug
2015-4-27
Use props
Raybro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11099 ft
United States

johnwarr@live.c Posted at 2015-4-27 20:03
Living in the UK it is highly unlikely that I will be able to test the new no-fly zone anytime soon. ...

You're right. I keep track of a few hundred PCs, laptops, tablets, servers. Firmware updates often contain other fixes they don't tell you about.

Ray
2015-4-27
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
United Kingdom

Yug Posted at 2015-4-27 22:27
Yes the battery firmware thing is odd. I have 3 batteries and all three have different firmware!

As you can see, my batteries are all 2.6.0.0. with auto-discharge.
I always update as its released and have never had any issues.
2015-4-27
Use props
Yug
lvl.4

Australia

johnwarr@live.c Posted at 2015-4-27 22:32
As you can see, my batteries are all 2.6.0.0. with auto-discharge.
I always update as its released ...

Yes you are lucky but there are many who have been caught with not being able to upgrade their battery firmware. I have one that is ok but two not. DJI support advised me it will be fixed some time.

Yug
2015-4-27
Use props
smee56
lvl.3
Flight distance : 18655 ft
Australia

After the 3.10 issues I no longer want to update on release day, plus I do not think that I can fly to Japan on a single battery from where I am.
2015-4-27
Use props
JtrJr-Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

Raybro Posted at 2015-4-27 22:29
You're right. I keep track of a few hundred PCs, laptops, tablets, servers. Firmware updates often ...

I guess it shouldn't be a surprise that DJI doesn't do it but most companies these days provide pretty good detail on new firmware updates. With most of my hardware related, computer oriented devices, I do the updates as soon as they become available. Particularly, when they provide detailed information regarding the update. I'm not satisfied with the possible lack of information provided by DJI at the corporate level. I did receive a sales email from DJI promoting the Inspire updates the morning  but I have yet to receive any type of technical, service related or informational emails from the company. Like others here, I think I'll do a wait and see before doing this one for these reasons alone.

Jerry
2015-4-27
Use props
HermosaDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3160344 ft
  • >>>
United States

i will delay for a week or more to see if issues come up.
2015-4-27
Use props
Raybro
lvl.4
United States

JtrJr-Droner Posted at 2015-4-27 23:27
I guess it shouldn't be a surprise that DJI doesn't do it but most companies these days provide pr ...

Yes, example 3.10.
What are the PMs for? I thought maybe they were used to notify you if there was an update or advisory. My Phantom is associated with my account, I thought it was anyway.
I guess you read about the former CEO of US based DJI and his move to 3DR?
2015-4-27
Use props
JtrJr-Droner
Second Officer
United States

Raybro Posted at 2015-4-27 23:39
Yes, example 3.10.
What are the PMs for? I thought maybe they were used to notify you if there was  ...

Yes, I did. I got those notes. Check you stuff this morning.

Jerry
2015-4-27
Use props
Larry L
lvl.3

United States

Yug Posted at 2015-4-27 22:27

Yep, I have 5 batteries. 2 have one firmware & 2 have another. I haven't checked the 5th one yet to see what it has on it
2015-4-27
Use props
grangerfx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 817713 ft
United States

The largest need for updates currently are for the SDK. They promised a lot of new features for the Phantom 3 in the SDK but all of them should work with the Phantom 2. DJI needs to keep the SDK up to date on all compatible drones if they really want third party app developers to add the kind of features that 3DR has in its drones.
2015-4-27
Use props
JtrJr-Droner
Second Officer
United States

grangerfx@gmail Posted at 2015-4-28 00:00
The largest need for updates currently are for the SDK. They promised a lot of new features for the  ...

Based on some of the issues that the developers have been having and continue to have, I don't see it in the cards. If you listen to the developers, just about all of the issues that keep arising (ever since I first got my Phantom) are due to unresolved issues with the SDK. Unfortunately for us, I think sales for DJI are such that there is little time for anything other than selling units. No parts, no service, no enhancements...units, units, units! JMHO, of course.

Jerry
2015-4-27
Use props
Raybro
lvl.4
United States

grangerfx@gmail Posted at 2015-4-28 00:00
The largest need for updates currently are for the SDK. They promised a lot of new features for the  ...

Funny you mention that. I contacted a developer at 3DR about their current software and the new Solo. He stated all their software will be compatible with it as well as all previous 3DR products.
2015-4-27
Use props
parrish
lvl.1

United States

I'm pretty disappointed in my experience with Phantoms. I was hoping to do some great photography and after almost two months and two phantoms that do not work, I'm frustrated. Had to send first back to dealer because the RC seemed to have died. Tech support couldn't help. Now my camera will go up and down but will not stay where I want it. As soon as I let go of left wheel camera returns to horizontal.

I've tried a manual recall of the RC. No petunias. I called TEch Support. Upgraded firmware and then did recal using the tools in the Desktop App. Still not petunias. I told them if I had to send this one back, I wanted a Phantom 3. I purchased on April 3, rec'd on april 13 and the first responder says I had to return within 7 days. Given the Phantom 3 came out just days after I bought the Phantom 3 (something I did not know about) and it is now listed for less than my 2, They owe me.  If these things had not come so highly recommended, I'd never have bought one.

Sorry for the rant guys and hope you will forgive me for venting.
2015-4-27
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Now my camera will go up and down but will not stay where I want it. As soon as I let go of left wheel camera returns to horizontal.

Do the X1 calibration first in the PT2 setup, then do the calibration of the transmitter on the page lower in the post.  Have your Phantom powered up with the props off and follow the instructions to the letter from the post.  
093139rmq5ycusimuss1yb.gif
2015-4-27
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
United Kingdom

I bet Gerry wished he got 1$ for every time he has to post that fix...
2015-4-27
Use props
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

Right now my quad is flying and performing beautifully.  I can wait to do any updates.
2015-4-27
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

johnwarr@live.c Posted at 2015-4-28 04:03

I think I could afford a couple of Inspire 1's by now.
2015-4-27
Use props
Raybro
lvl.4
United States

JtrJr-Droner Posted at 2015-4-28 00:08
Based on some of the issues that the developers have been having and continue to have, I don't see ...

Right....their business model is sell, sell, sell.......no fix side of it.
2015-4-27
Use props
Raybro
lvl.4
United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-4-28 04:14
I think I could afford a couple of Inspire 1's by now.

Gerry, you run into any waitresses lately?
2015-4-27
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Raybro Posted at 2015-4-28 04:25
Gerry, you run into any waitresses lately?

Every day I  see them.
2015-4-27
Use props
danrok
lvl.1

Jersey

Well, I am emailed them 3 days ago regarding a no-fly zone which is in the wrong place.

No sign of that correction in this firmware, there again all I got was an automated reply to my email.
2015-4-27
Use props
danrok
lvl.1

Jersey

Raybro Posted at 2015-4-28 04:24
Right....their business model is sell, sell, sell.......no fix side of it.

About right for a Chinese company.
2015-4-27
Use props
grangerfx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 817713 ft
United States

danrok Posted at 2015-4-28 05:46
About right for a Chinese company.

I have many months before I pull the trigger on the P3. If I do, it will come down to how well they continue to support the P2. If there is no continued P2 support (SDK improvements, new features, a new app, etc.) I will presume that the same will be true of the P3 when the P4 comes out. That will greatly influence my decision as to what drone to buy.
2015-4-27
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

johnwarr@live.c Posted at 2015-4-28 04:03

Yes,
And if it were done via a Pyramid scheme a few more would make a penny or two as well...
I was suspect of this as a procedure though must say it works freakin awesome!..
My Gimbal is nimble and my camera responds quicker, I can now take a photo without any risk of a flicker...
2015-4-27
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Northofthe49th Posted at 2015-4-28 08:14
Yes,
And if it were done via a Pyramid scheme a few more would make a penny or two as well...
I was ...

The more people that save the instructions, the more people that make money.  I got this from Gil and he got it from someone else that I can't remember.  Al Heimer was visiting me today.
2015-4-27
Use props
roy
Second Officer

United States

Did the 3.14 update, tested and flew 2 batteries with no issues. Tested the RTH, Failsafe and all controls I could. Still solid. Hope this helps.
2015-4-27
Use props
gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-4-28 08:17
The more people that save the instructions, the more people that make money.  I got this from Gil  ...

Huh?!?  I'm supposed to be making some money off of this?  Curses, I forgot to patent, copyright, watermark and trademark it!
Ah well, I eventually found out the original source is on page 7 of the "PHANTOM_Advanced_Manual_en.pdf"  (dated 2013-03-22).  I used that as a starting point when I updated it to include the wheel on the new gimbal (just a quickie cut and paste in paint)  I did my version as a PNG file but since it was about 175kb I also converted it to a gif so it would be smaller at 52kb.  The smaller version is what I've seen most often reposted but I went back and added the PNG version if anyone is interested.

When I posted the new thread TRANSMITTER CALIBRATION WITHOUT SOFTWARE as sort of a reference I gave credit to "w-nils" for initially posting this gem to the DJI forum! (now that I bring it up I haven't seen any posts from him lately!)

2015-4-27
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

gil Posted at 2015-4-28 09:29
Huh?!?  I'm supposed to be making some money off of this?  Curses, I forgot to patent, copyright, w ...

That's the guy, I remember you saying that now.
2015-4-27
Use props
Axeman This user has been deleted
Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-4-27
Use props
HermosaDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3160344 ft
  • >>>
United States

just staying current with this post.
2015-4-28
Use props
parrish
lvl.1

United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-4-28 04:00
Now my camera will go up and down but will not stay where I want it. As soon as I let go of left whe ...

Hi Gerry,
I do not think you ever said before that the Phantom had to be on during this process nor that we should calibrate in PT2 software and then do this. Nevertheless, I at first was doing this moving S1 to middle position but these instructions make sure the full down. I had set my RC to do GPS/ATTI/Fail Safe.

Still I did as instructed here and still no petunias. Camera will not stay in pitch but returns to horizontal once the wheel is released. I assume there is not point checking the iphone app on this issue until the left wheel works.

I'm still wondering why the PT2 software has different channel settings next to the X1 calibration if they have no purpose or are there other machines that do have a purpose?
2015-4-28
Use props
Raybro
lvl.4
United States

parrish@parrish Posted at 2015-4-28 03:49
I'm pretty disappointed in my experience with Phantoms. I was hoping to do some great photography an ...

Don't blame you a bit. This is the only place where you can vent because nobody else is listening. I have not had an issue with mine yet (knock on wood). I've had it since the end of Feb. I've enjoyed it immensely but I am starting to see some other companies that are coming online with some better products with better support and wish I had held off buying mine. Good luck.
2015-4-28
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules