Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Shooting Real Estate and Recreation Ideas
12Next >
15846 42 2014-9-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bpatty
lvl.1

United States

I am using the Phantom 2 with the H3-3D and have just begun to shoot photos/videos of real estate and places of interest.  I have worked with a few realtors and private individuals, but am at a loss as to what to begin charging if I decide to go after that business possibility.  The ones that I have done so far have been for no charge as I was learning on the job as to how to frame shots/angles/heights, etc.  I was ljust earning and didn't feel right by charging them for something I couldn't guarantee would come out right.  Has anyone done aerial work for a fee, and if so what were your rates?  I am attaching a link to some of the photo shoots that I have done so far.  Would appreciate it if someone would give me feedback on the photos and how to improve on them.  Thanks..

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124238654@N03/sets/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124238654@N03/sets/

2014-9-18
Use props
T J Gilbert
lvl.4
Flight distance : 74659 ft
United States

I shoot AV/AP for fun and don't fly commercially due to the FAA.
A poster over on RCGroups recently said that the competitive prices in the LA area are down now to about $175 per shoot for real estate video.
It's coming down fast because everyone can do it now.
I'd suggest that you start learning photo and video editing.
Get the fish eye under control on your pics.
Good, edited video can set you apart from the competition.
Be prepared to satisfy picky customers who suddenly become film ctitics...
2014-9-18
Use props
bpatty
lvl.1

United States

Thanks TJ  Appreciate the advice.  What tips would you recommend to help with the fish eye effect?  What settings do you use?  Am still trying to figure out the various photo/video options on the GoPro Black 3+ and am still experimenting.  I am beginning to get some editing help and know that it will just take time working on the program to see better results.  filters,, etc..  
2014-9-18
Use props
tony
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2856060 ft
  • >>>
United States

I am flying for my business, but I am not charging yet due to the FAA guidelines. Don't want to risk any legal actions, although I am sure this is unlikely.

I have seen $200 for adding aerial to an existing real estate photo or video job. I think this is fair in my market. But again, you can't charge. It is against the law.

As far as fisheye. PTLens plugin works great in Aperture for photos. And if you're using FCP X for editing video CoreMelt has a FREE plugin filter for GoPros that does the job perfectly. I have the P2V+ and the go pro plugin works flawlessly on that as well. Just remember the fisheye plugins will crop the image or video in most cases.

Here's one of your images with a quick pass through PT Lens. Great shots by the way! Good luck.
fisheye (1).jpg
2014-9-18
Use props
bpatty
lvl.1

United States

tony@capturevid Posted at 2014-9-19 04:45
I am flying for my business, but I am not charging yet due to the FAA guidelines. Don't want to risk ...

Thanks Tony, I will take a look at the PTLens, appreciate the help and the kind words.
2014-9-18
Use props
labratlobert
New

United States

FAA seems to be erring on the side of caution. They go too far.

You cant charge for the filming. But you could charge for the subsequent editing.
2014-9-18
Use props
eesjacky
lvl.1

China

Is that true? that would be some way that people can live a life with aerial photographing,
2014-9-18
Use props
Dragonrider
lvl.2

United States

What??  Why can't you take video and pictures and sell them to whoever you want to??  What does the FAA have to do with it?  I don't understand??
2014-9-25
Use props
hd_ultra
lvl.3

United States

You all need to read this. http://dronelawjournal.com
2014-9-25
Use props
Tony
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

We must keep in mind that this is one man's perspective on the matter and does not mean it is guaranteed you will not be liable for a fine if the FAA, for some reason, decides to go after you. He makes it very clear that he is not giving legal advice. But, again, is the FAA concerned with us little guys who are flying responsibly and charging for our services when working for realtors, for example? Probably not... yet. I like the example HD gives in another thread about breaking the law while speeding. It fits.
2014-9-26
Use props
TioGallo
lvl.1

United States

bpatty,

What you charge is directly related to the quality of your work.  I have seen some videos out there  that no one would pay money for.  Think about this a real estate agent will make $90,000 on a property that sells for $3.5m.  Would that real estate agent spend a $1000 for a video that sets his property apart?  YOU BET!  And not bat an eye.  Don't let your videos be ordinary or worse, unacceptable to your client.  Listen to what they want and give them more.  The agent I did this for was charged $750 by someone else for an unacceptable video.  When I find the link I will post it here.
What's your time worth?  How long are you willing to spend on a quality video?  Can you make a living on $200 videos?  I can't.  

This is my video of a 40 acre horse ranch listed for $3.5   
I did it just to get a marketing piece for myself to show clients.   I made some rookie mistakes, learned some lessons, but my next videos will be easier and better.  I am also striving to be a better videographer.
2014-9-28
Use props
readysetclickap
New

United States

TioGallo Posted at 2014-9-29 15:27
bpatty,

What you charge is directly related to the quality of your work.  I have seen some videos o ...

TioGallo I 100% agree! Nice video by the way!

I've done a couple of properties at no charge with the understanding that I'm getting great practice, and product to show potential clients.

Here is one of those free videos I did recently for a local golf course. http://youtu.be/Rh_zO_pnNsE
2014-9-29
Use props
T J Gilbert
lvl.4
Flight distance : 74659 ft
United States

bpatty Posted at 2014-9-19 02:19
Thanks TJ  Appreciate the advice.  What tips would you recommend to help with the fish eye effect?   ...

Sorry for the late reply...
I missed this post when I checked the threads.
I use the Narrow FOV on the GoPro (& the P2V+).
I understand that it's really just a crop of the total FOV, but for my purposes, it makes the fisheye nearly unnoticeable.
There are some videos over on my blog at RCG all shot with Narrow FOV...

2014-9-29
Use props
hd_ultra
lvl.3

United States

Tony@CVP Posted at 2014-9-26 22:08
We must keep in mind that this is one man's perspective on the matter and does not mean it is guara ...

I hear ya my friend,
2014-9-29
Use props
Tony
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

bpatty,

What you charge is directly related to the quality of your work.  I have seen some videos o ...

You definitely need to know your market too, sure it's one thing to say you offer a better quality product than the next guy. But if the market rate is $200 to add aerial to an already $500 video tour or $750 video/photo package, and you try to charge $500 for just aerial you may be doing yourself an injustice. Don't get me wrong, if you can get away with charging an extra $500 for just aerial than that's awesome! Do it while you can. I'm afraid it won't last long. There are already national chain that offer aerial add-on nationwide for $200.
2014-9-29
Use props
Tony
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Dragonrider Posted at 2014-9-26 11:30
What??  Why can't you take video and pictures and sell them to whoever you want to??  What does the  ...

Not sure if you've found your answer yet or not. But there are two (or more) views on this topic.
The FAA has put in place temporary guidelineshttp://www.faa.gov/uas/publications/model_aircraft_operators/) and have until September of 2015 to come up with a more concise set, from what I understand.

But there are attorneys and hobbyists that ascert that because there are no laws to support the FAA's guidelines there is nothing anyone can do to prevent you from violating the "no commercial flights" bullet point of their guidelines. (http://dronelawjournal.com).

So, it is "fly at your own risk" until more to the point laws are created. From what I understand, there is a lawsuit that was thrown out, and the FAA has appealed, and there is no ruling yet. The outcome of which will be a huge precedent.

We must all stay informed and involved and do what we can to protect what we do. And that's all I have to say about that. Haha
2014-9-29
Use props
Dragonrider
lvl.2

United States

WOW, I had no idea.  I want to purchase a vision 2+.  I ride a motorcycle and enjoy using my GoPro.  There have been several times I have thought that it would be nice to be able to get a different perspective on riding and that is what started my interest in the Vision 2+.  I am sure I will be an owner by Christmas.  In the meantime I have been doing a lot of "research" and have watched hours of videos.  In doing so the idea of using the Phantom for real-estate and other type ideas ran though my mind.  Then I saw a gentleman at a marina where I keep my boat was just getting back from taking pictures and video with his Phantom......more ideas abound..
Thank you for giving me the current information.  I will endeavor to continue to learn.  This forum is great for that!!  Thanks again!!
2014-9-29
Use props
TioGallo
lvl.1

United States

readysetclickap Posted at 2014-9-30 04:49
TioGallo I 100% agree! Nice video by the way!

I've done a couple of properties at no charge with  ...

Nice video Readysetclickap!
2014-9-30
Use props
readysetclickap
New

United States

TioGallo Posted at 2014-9-30 23:52
Nice video Readysetclickap!

Thanks, I was happy with my first official video!
2014-9-30
Use props
DWA
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3176083 ft
  • >>>
United States

bpatty,

I agree. No way I can make a living on $200 videos. But then again I do not need to make a living on it. For me it is just a hobby business.
But my time is valuable to me, so I would not do a job for $200! No way, too much time editing!
I also live in an area in California where everything is expensive so I can charge more.
The last 3 jobs I did were $700, $450 and $600 for aerial video only.  My standard price in $500 for aerial videos and $350 for aerial pictures. The last 3 jobs had variations in price for various reasons.

Dave
2014-9-30
Use props
stryjek
lvl.3
United Kingdom

T J Gilbert Posted at 2014-9-30 04:55
Sorry for the late reply...
I missed this post when I checked the threads.
I use the Narrow FOV on  ...

There is an easy way to work on it in Photoshop - 1. adoptive wide angle , 2. perspective wrap
2014-10-4
Use props
Gamecatcher
lvl.1

United States

What if you are a licensed commercial pilot?  Then can you charge for your services?
2014-10-6
Use props
bpatty
lvl.1

United States

stryjek Posted at 2014-10-4 23:30
There is an easy way to work on it in Photoshop - 1. adoptive wide angle , 2. perspective wrap

Thanks stryjek..  I'll give those two items a look.  Appreciate the advice.
2014-10-9
Use props
stryjek
lvl.3
United Kingdom

no probs
2014-10-10
Use props
IndianaDronez
New

United States

Dragonrider Posted at 2014-9-30 10:24
WOW, I had no idea.  I want to purchase a vision 2+.  I ride a motorcycle and enjoy using my GoPro.  ...

Hey I found some pretty good deals on the Phantom 2 recently if you are still interested: http://dronelifestyle.com/best-dji-phantom-2-drone-deals-2014/
2014-12-3
Use props
Anthony Delon
New

Sri Lanka

Gamecatcher Posted at 2014-10-7 07:38
What if you are a licensed commercial pilot?  Then can you charge for your services?

The Federal Aviation Administration rules and legislation are strict in administrating the commercial use of drone for a specific reason. There might be a restriction probability from flying a Quadcopter at a restricted zone, regardless of your commercial pilot license. An person can charge for the subsequent editing, but it should alert the erring on the FAA Caution. Filming for commercial purpose is strictly prohibited.

I do not fly a drone for commercial purpose, but for a recreational purpose (yes I will). I prefer everyone to buy Dji line of quadcopters if want to enjoy high-quality aerial video-graphy and photography. I own both Phantom 2 and Dji Phantom Fc40, but prefer Phantom 2 vision+. I just wrote my personal experience on the Dji Phantom Vision 2 Quadcopter, if you are interested: http://www.bestquadcoptersreviews.com/dji-phantom-vision-review/
2015-1-20
Use props
kjkisatsky.emai
lvl.3

United States

Gamecatcher, if you are already a licensed pilot, the most expensive part of the commercial exemption is done for you!  Now you just have to apply for the FAA exemption!
2015-1-20
Use props
talk2t_c
lvl.4

France

I just don't get this and I've heard it loads of times.  If you have a pilots licence you can fly a quadcopter WTF.  How does flying a 747 or 380  equate to flying a quadcopter?
2015-1-20
Use props
HermosaDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3160344 ft
  • >>>
United States

It will be interesting to see how this plays out
2015-1-20
Use props
anthony
lvl.2
United States

talk2t_c Posted at 2015-1-20 19:28
I just don't get this and I've heard it loads of times.  If you have a pilots licence you can fly a  ...

I believe that their assertion is that, once in the air, you are in the same space as pilots.  But it is akin to requiring a drivers license to ride a bicycle.
2015-1-20
Use props
oakspi
lvl.4

United States

hd_ultra@msn.co Posted at 2014-9-26 12:16
You all need to read this. http://dronelawjournal.com

I saw a post somewhere recently indicating that a court ruled that the FAA did not have jurisdiction related to drones.  Can someone charge a fee for aerial real estate video now using a Phantom 2?
2015-1-28
Use props
HermosaDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3160344 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for the photoshop tips.  I needed them!
Photoshop - 1. adoptive wide angle , 2. perspective wrap
2015-1-29
Use props
JATO
lvl.4

United States

oakspi Posted at 2015-1-29 06:21
I saw a post somewhere recently indicating that a court ruled that the FAA did not have jurisdicti ...

The ruling was overturned. The FAA does have jurisdiction:
NTSB overturns Judges Ruling

2015-1-29
Use props
manny
lvl.1

Norway

Ok, so I don't have any idea what the laws are like in the US, as I am based in Norway. Anyway, I have been photographing some real estate previously, and see my P2V+ as a addition to my "camera kit", which I with time and training will be using to photograph real estate commercially.

Being able to shoot from the air is a great addition to any real estate photographers kit, as most photographers usually use long poles with a MFT camera (or equivalent) on top. Having shots like this can really put you ahead of other photographers as well, and many steps ahead of a happy hobbyist photographer. The more you can deliver, the more you can charge. I never had any pole or aerial camera, so I am really eager to use this new tool and see the world of new perspectives it opens.

Today I actually did my first "trial shoot" of my parents house, just to try it out and see how I'm doing.
Here is the RAW photo (taken in Adobes .DNG raw format) from the DJI P2V+:

RAW: Aerial Real Estate by MNYFOTO, on Flickr

And here is the edited photo, which I would consider as "done" and ready to deliver to a potential customer:

EDIT: Aerial Real Estate by MNYFOTO, on Flickr

As you can see, there has been done quite a bit with the image afterwards. I first took it through Lightroom, which is by far the best organizing and light editing tool available, and then I took it through Photoshop. I use Lightrooom to keep track of my entire video and photo-library.
What have been done:
- Defishing
- Sharpening and lightning adjustments
- White balance and color correction
- Straightening and correcting lines
- Swapped the sky
- Retouched away things I didn't want to have in the shot (myself included)- Cropping

All in all, the retouching and editing on this photo was approx. 45 mins to an hour.
IF this was a actual shoot for a customer, I would have walked around the property at least a couple of times to hide away stuff rather than having to remove it in post. If I had done that on this image, I'm pretty sure I'd be down to 10-15 minutes of post work. Another nifty thing Lightroom does is to automatically defish and adjust exposure of the photos to a preset I've created for all photos from the DJI.

2015-2-9
Use props
My Drone Choice
New

Sri Lanka

DJI drones are a game changer when it comes to recreational ideas and shooting real estate. From the evergreen DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ to all-new DJI Phantom 4 to foldable DJI Mavic Pro their innovations are set at a high standard.

The restriction of drones for commercial applications is no longer a significant setback as the thread creator "bpatty" was claiming. It is because of the recent amendments FAA has made for commercial drone use. However, a pilot must pass a drone-oriented test to meet their eligibility criteria. There are several online courses and videos available on how to pass these tests on the first attempt.

Whether it is a DJI Phantom 4 or DJI Mavic Pro you can charge a fee for your aerial work provided that you understand, apply, and acknowledge certain guidelines imposed by FAA.

We could not provide you info on rates because it depends on the requirements of the client and complexity of aerial work. The photos you captured with the drone looks bright and beautiful but could improve with a bit of fine-tuning using Photoshop or other image editing software. Thanks and feeling great to take part in this conversation.

2017-4-18
Use props
mediossehd
lvl.4

Turkey

5 Flying Hover Bike Inventions YOU SHOULD SEE
2017-7-18
Use props
Philippe Allair
New
Canada

I'm going to be following this post!
2017-11-18
Use props
woorymo
lvl.1

France

goleroapp.com adidas pas cher 2018
http://www.goleroapp.com/adidas-48953-sneakers-femme-homme-pas-cher-soldes-2018-2017-2016
adidas pas cher 2017
2018-3-7
Use props
OliverMcClintok
New

Sri Lanka

There is no denying the fact the commercial application of drones is on the rise. I own both the DJI Phantom 4 Pro and DJI Mavic Pro. The latter is foldable and compact, so I prefer to take it with me while traveling outdoors.

I have not thought about using either for commercial uses. However, I feel you can make a decent amount of money with aerial photography (real estate), surveying, and inspection.

Going through your photo shoots gallery, it seems your photos are not as bad as some other amateurs. A little more adjustments and tweaks may make them justifiable for a fee.

You could find this drone uses list interesting if looking to explore other business possibilities as well. The rates will differ for each job but always quote a price based on the complexity of a project, equipment used, deadline, and experience required rather than a default number.
2018-4-19
Use props
woorymo
lvl.1

China

wholesalereclinersfurniture
If you are on the lookout for a classic recliner to complete your living decor, then look no further than the Waldo recliner club chair. One (1) recliner club chair. Upholstered in bonded leather with wood frame. Top Rated Plus. Free shipping.
2018-5-24
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules