Phantom 3 Landing Crashes
14192 39 2015-5-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bob.mimlitch
lvl.2

United States

The Quick Start Guide states:
"To land, gently pull the left stick (throttle stick) down to lower the aircraft until it touches the ground.  Then pull both sticks to the bottom inside corners to stop the motors."

This worked great on the Phantom 2 Vision, but pulling the right stick back after touch down on the Phantom 3 causes the forward engines to speed up and flip the aircraft on its tail.  Instead of the listed instructions, after touchdown, pull the left stick (throttle stick) all the way down and hold it till the motors stop.  No crash.
P3P Users Manual page 46, item 7 & 8 state:

7.  To land, hover over a level surface and gently pull down on the throttle to descend.
8.  After landing, execute the CSC command or hold the throttle at its lowest position until the motors stop.

Method 2, hold the throttle all the way down till the motors stop (about 3 seconds) works, but method 1, the CSC command, flipped it on it on its tail.
2015-5-6
Use props
CapitAn
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Or hand-catch then throttle down. l'll never land on the ground again unless there are conditions in which l have to. They're way too tippy and unpredictable (by all accounts).
l hope your copter's okay.
2015-5-6
Use props
alex
lvl.1
Flight distance : 342759 ft
United States

I had this issue yesterday and mine flipped over and temporarily disable a motor. Thankfully I was able to take the four screws out, loosen the motors, blow it out with some air, and upon start up again it appears to be working.

The auto landing stops the motors automatically now. I just leave the sticks alone and it turns itself off after a second or two after landing.
2015-5-6
Use props
ntfa
lvl.4

United States

this is the only way Ill land it.   I might practice grabbing it from  the air and turning off the blades with the remote.
2015-5-6
Use props
bob.mimlitch
lvl.2

United States

CapitAn Posted at 2015-5-7 00:23
Or hand-catch then throttle down. l'll never land on the ground again unless there are conditions in ...

I have well over 50 landings with my Phantom 2 Vision and never tipped over, but the Phantom 3 is a different animal.  the flip just slightly scratched my two aft props.  Other users have broken props.
2015-5-6
Use props
nurimanizam
lvl.1

Singapore

CapitAn Posted at 2015-5-7 00:23
Or hand-catch then throttle down. l'll never land on the ground again unless there are conditions in ...

I've gone for more than 10 flights with the P3 and it's my first phantom.

I'm new to flying but I always landed fine by just hovering near the ground to stabilise it before slowly throttle down further by holding down the left stick. Never needed to touch the right stick at all.

I've heard the landing gear for P3 is much wider which is probably why I never toppled before with it.
2015-5-6
Use props
buzzcbr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 316545 ft
United Kingdom

This is repeaed in so many posts. Doing a csc to shut down very often causes a flip. If both sticks arent done at the same time then they are out of sync and one has more input than the other, hence loss of control in one movement or another.

Best way to shut down is just use the left stick to the botton and leave it. Motors shut down after 3 seconds.

However - i NEVER use either of these, i ALWAYS catch mine and hold in my right hand while I shut down with the left on the stick as mentioned above.

NEVER crashed and always got it so it cant fly off or tip over.

But thats just my two penneth.

Buzz
2015-5-6
Use props
tchavalas
lvl.4

United States

Never had any issue with my Phantom 2 just holding the throttle stick down.  (Shuts off after a few seconds.)  Never flipped.
2015-5-6
Use props
bob.mimlitch
lvl.2

United States

tchavalas@panos Posted at 2015-5-7 02:24
Never had any issue with my Phantom 2 just holding the throttle stick down.  (Shuts off after a few  ...

Yes, but a newbie reading and following the instructions shouldn't crash.  The dual stick instructions cane with my Phantom 2 Vision and worked perfectly for well over 50 landings.  The same instruction come with the Phantom 3, but they don't work.
2015-5-6
Use props
neilkarunatilak
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

I just pull down on the left stick slowly, it lands, hold down on the left stick till the engines stop.
Been doing that on my Phantom 1 and now my Phantom 3 and no problems at all.
2015-5-6
Use props
bob.mimlitch
lvl.2

United States

neilkarunatilak Posted at 2015-5-7 04:35
I just pull down on the left stick slowly, it lands, hold down on the left stick till the engines st ...

I agree, left stick landings work perfectly, the question is why do the DJI instructions tell newbies to shut down the motors using both sticks.  The instructions need to change and I don't know how to make that happen but use this forum.
2015-5-6
Use props
bob.mimlitch
lvl.2

United States

neilkarunatilak Posted at 2015-5-7 04:35
I just pull down on the left stick slowly, it lands, hold down on the left stick till the engines st ...

I agree, left stick landings work perfectly, the question is why do the DJI instructions tell newbies to shut down the motors using both sticks.  The instructions need to change and I don't know how to make that happen but use this forum.
2015-5-6
Use props
DJI-Autumn
lvl.4

Hong Kong

bob.mimlitch@me Posted at 2015-5-7 10:26
I agree, left stick landings work perfectly, the question is why do the DJI instructions tell newb ...

Left stick landing is more stable. If you land on a uneven ground surface, it can tip over.I'll report it to manual folks.
2015-5-7
Use props
ams4900
lvl.2

United States

Above are all good answers. But with Newbies I would suggest NOT Catching knives in the air until they learn proper procedures for landing. To many functions and dynamics at play that could cause injury. I know catching one is needed if your on a pitched ski slope etc. But it should never be a one handed grab.....ever!!!!
2015-5-7
Use props
ams4900
lvl.2

United States

Above are all good answers. But with Newbies I would suggest NOT Catching knives in the air until they learn proper procedures for landing. To many functions and dynamics at play that could cause injury. I know catching one is needed if your on a pitched ski slope etc. But it should never be a one handed grab.....ever!!!!
2015-5-7
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

Learning to hand-land (catch) is a good idea. Just don't rush it - and don't try the first time on an empty battery so you feel rushed.
2015-5-7
Use props
tchavalas
lvl.4

United States

bob.mimlitch@me Posted at 2015-5-7 04:00
Yes, but a newbie reading and following the instructions shouldn't crash.  The dual stick instruct ...

When you follow the instructions and pull both control sticks down & center the quad sometimes flips over.

If you just pull the throttle stick straight down it does NOT flip over.

You can keep following the faulty instruction that flips your quad over and crashes it.  Or you can just pull the throttle down.  Your choice.
2015-5-8
Use props
bob.mimlitch
lvl.2

United States

tchavalas@panos Posted at 2015-5-9 01:02
When you follow the instructions and pull both control sticks down & center the quad sometimes flip ...

The point is, all the newbie has are the instructions.  How does the newbie know to only use the left stick?  The instructions don't tell him about left stick landings.  The instructions need to be corrected and If you read DJI's response above, they are working on it.
2015-5-8
Use props
tchavalas
lvl.4

United States

bob.mimlitch@me Posted at 2015-5-9 01:17
The point is, all the newbie has are the instructions.  How does the newbie know to only use the l ...

That has been an issue with Phantom 1.  Phantom 2 and now Phantom 3.  I agree the instructions should be changed.  But this is not a new issue.  The instructions have been a problem for over two years now.
2015-5-8
Use props
bob.mimlitch
lvl.2

United States

tchavalas@panos Posted at 2015-5-9 01:25
That has been an issue with Phantom 1.  Phantom 2 and now Phantom 3.  I agree the instructions shou ...

The two stick instructions worked perfectly with my Phantom 2 Vision for well over 50 landings, so something has changed in the hardware or software and now the instructions don't work.
2015-5-8
Use props
spencerpearse
lvl.2

United Kingdom

CSC Power down does not work with the P3A/P. The manual (v1.0) needs to be updated. V1.01 needs to show only "Hold the Elevator stick in the down position for 3 seconds after landing". to complete landing.
2015-5-8
Use props
tchavalas
lvl.4

United States

bob.mimlitch@me Posted at 2015-5-9 07:36
The two stick instructions worked perfectly with my Phantom 2 Vision for well over 50 landings, so ...

Many people reported Phantom 2 flips using the two stick method.  So I can't agree that it worked perfectly.  Just look through the Phantom 2 forum threads.  Many flips using the two stick method.  The instructions should be changed.
2015-5-9
Use props
nathanstl
lvl.1

United States

May be a stupid question, but how does the quad know you have landed? If I'm at 400' and I'm holding down the throttle stick for more than 3 seconds what stops it from turning off the motors? I'm assuming an altimeter, but what if that fails or becomes uncalibrated? Seems like shutdown shouldn't be the same control input as descent. Has everyone had good luck with the auto land feature on the app?
2015-5-10
Use props
jon.jongodfrey
lvl.3

United Kingdom

it's decending but can't decend any further for 3 seconds I seem to recall.
2015-5-10
Use props
bob.mimlitch
lvl.2

United States

nathanstl@gmail Posted at 2015-5-11 01:17
May be a stupid question, but how does the quad know you have landed? If I'm at 400' and I'm holding ...

If you pull the left stick all the way down and the drone senses no decent, it must have landed and the motors shut down after 3 seconds.  If you pull the left stick max down and the drone is descending, the motors don't shut down.  I have read that pulling both sticks down and to the center (CSC), this action will shut down the motors while inflight and recovery is questionable.
2015-5-10
Use props
humanmale
New

United States

bob.mimlitch@me Posted at 2015-5-8 10:17
The point is, all the newbie has are the instructions.  How does the newbie know to only use the l ...

Bob,

You're 100% correct, I've had my drone on 10 flights now and wanted to try the manual shutdown.  I just crashed my Phantom 3 Pro and it looks like I have to pay for $539.00 for a new gimbal/camera.  Super disappointed but will replace because I've already sunk so much money into it already.  Will dji or sony do replacement repair work on it?  Its too late for me now but I hope someone else sees this before they fly their drone.

-Curtis
2015-9-6
Use props
paullindqvist
lvl.2

Sweden

So you totalled you'r camera/gimbal by killing the motors with csc (the P3 tipping over) !?!
2015-9-6
Use props
info
lvl.1

Netherlands

I wish i had seen this post before!
I'm a newbie and i did found out that the two stick way isn't the best way to land.
Luckily i only got a broken prop and scratches on the P3, but i'm going to contact DJI with this situation.

Now i've read this topic i just tested it and the first landing was flawless, i'm happy there is a forum which points to this very useful info but i have to agree that DJI has to change the instruction manuals because of many newbies are crashing phantom 3 models when follow the instruction manuals.
2016-3-10
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

info@theater-ef Posted at 2016-3-10 21:02
I wish i had seen this post before!
I'm a newbie and i did found out that the two stick way isn't th ...

Yes, they should change the manual, however I don't agree that "many newbies are crashing phantom 3 models when follow the instruction manuals.".

'Many' newbies don't even read the manuals.
2016-3-10
Use props
flormo2002
lvl.4
Flight distance : 12242710 ft
  • >>>

I find the P3P to be very stable at landing compared to the Phantom 1 or FC40 that I owned prior. I've always landed and never hand caught but it's obviously a personal choice.
2016-3-10
Use props
info
lvl.1

Netherlands

Geebax Posted at 2016-3-10 11:10
Yes, they should change the manual, however I don't agree that "many newbies are crashing phantom 3 ...

Your right with this, i presumed.
Like you said, it could be that most of them don't read it and just let it go or have had experience with friends and youtube.
For me it was a hard lesson

2016-3-10
Use props
thumb
lvl.4
United States

When I got my P3A my first two landings were perfect using the two stick method as the instructions said. My 3rd landing was scary for just a split second as when it touched the ground and started to tip forward I instantly let go of the sticks and it leveled out, then I did the CSC too stop the motors. Maybe it was my 35 years of flying RC aircraft to let go of the sticks but it seemed to be the right thing to do and it worked without any props hitting the ground. I now hand catch 99% of the time.
2016-3-10
Use props
snowsurferss
lvl.3

United States

I usually activate return to home before landing, it does a nice gentle auto landing every time.
2016-3-10
Use props
aeriALL.ro
lvl.1
Flight distance : 504984 ft
Romania

My first landing "by the manual" doing the CSC turned into a flip over . It's so bad DJI is telling us this in the manual as a first method, since the second one is the best to do in any scenario. Since then, I've never tried it again.
2016-3-10
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

aeriALL.ro Posted at 2016-3-11 08:34
My first landing "by the manual" doing the CSC turned into a flip over . It's so bad DJI is tellin ...

Yes, I agree. Left stick down is the most reliable and safest method. The manual should be revised.
2016-3-10
Use props
info
lvl.1

Netherlands

I'm in contact with the DJI technical support department about the CSC landing witch results in a tip over most of the time.
I agreed to do some test flights with a SCS landing for DJI support with my P3P, i've got prop guards which made it easier to not damage the drone.
They needed 10 flights so i made 12 or 13 this morning and i've uploaded the flight logs to them.
At least half the CSC landings resulted in a tip over, not all of them!

One thing which made me think could be on influence in the tip over is the indoor sensors which let the drone rise when it's nearly on the ground, maybe that system makes the drone in stable just after the touch down so it could tip over when pull both sticks down to the inner corners of the RC.
I also see that every landing is different, some landings the motors lower down the props when others keep up running a lot faster, it's like the drone doesn't recognize it's standing on the ground.

I'll keep up with you when i receive a response on the flight logs.
2016-3-17
Use props
levisfaustuss
lvl.1

Ukraine

First flight (phantom 3 professional) - try to stop motors according instructions - "THEN PULL BOTH STICKS TO THE BOTTOM INSIDE CORNERS TOP STOP THE MOTORS" - FLIP and crash!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DJI - according official instruction I damage drone after landing!!!!!
2017-3-18
Use props
Det
New
Flight distance : 13560 ft
United States

I wish I had read this the first time I crash landed. I thought it was just me and I wasn't performing the CSC correctly but now on my third set of props (and many ESC status error messages) I decided I had better seek advice because the instruction manual gave me no other option for shutdown.  The autoland option I haven't figured out but will.  Thanks for the advice, my next landing should be better!
2017-7-4
Use props
Duchunter
lvl.4
United States

CSC is no longer the recommended shut down procedure. and I believe the manual has been changed. CSC shut off does not work on the p4 and after. You either auto land or left stick down.
2017-7-4
Use props
Lowspark420
lvl.1
United States

I'm a newbie and I've only landed via the auto-land feature on the app...not sure why I would want to land manually with that feature available. I do see why a "catch" landing may be necessary in the future given certain terrain, but I haven't had to worry about that yet...I've only taken off and landed on flat, road surfaces.

That does bring up a question for ya'll...do you do take-off's from grassy areas? I haven't wanted to get my gimbal/camera near anything to keep it all pristine given the newness of my drone...but would love to hear from you all
2017-7-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules