Active Braking? Propeller spin off danger?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fhagan02
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1854908 ft
United States

So there are apparently some issues with the Phantom 3. As with anything I'm sure time will resolve them. That said.....

I know there were quite a few issues with the Inspire 1's "active braking." Quads litteraly falling from the sky when prop(s) spun off. Apparently the momentum of the blade would case it to spin off when active braking occured. So many in fact that DJI quickly produced some type of prop lock and, to my understanding, started sending them out to Inspire customers. I'm now seeing advice from others to make sure you "hand tighten" the "self tightening" props when attaching to avoid this active braking spin off.

Im not seeing any prop locks on any Phantom 3's pics or videos. Man oh man...Is this something to be worried about or has this issue been completely resolved? Or perhaps I should just calm down and eat some friut or something?

2015-5-8
Use props
mmee1992
lvl.3
United States

The new P3 props have composite hubs which provides for much more grip on the propeller shaft. I wouldn't worry about it.
2015-5-8
Use props
foxpop
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

I actually had a prop spin off of the Inspire coincidentally after installing next to last firmware upgrade.  Have never had problem on P2 so I don't expect it on P3
2015-5-8
Use props
imwhitey
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1921493 ft
  • >>>
United States

I hand tightened my P3 props pretty good just to be on the safe side. I tried to loosen a couple of the propellors just for the heck of it earlier this evening and I don't think I could even get them off if I wanted to! Oops
2015-5-8
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

foxpop Posted at 2015-5-9 11:05
I actually had a prop spin off of the Inspire coincidentally after installing next to last firmware  ...

"Have never had problem on P2 so I don't expect it on P3"
The P2 never had active braking.

The word from Blade and Tahoe Ed is that the new props are fine and no additional tightening is needed.
2015-5-8
Use props
me4284
New

South Africa

Yesterday when I was flying my phantom 2 v+ all 4 props fell off at the same time. I don't kniow if it has anything to do with this?
2015-5-9
Use props
Two Snakes
lvl.2
Flight distance : 241457 ft
United States

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the manual says to hand tighten. (it also say they are self tightening)   ???
2015-5-9
Use props
tchavalas
lvl.4

United States

It's probably a good idea to "snug" the props down a bit when you put them on.
2015-5-9
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

me4284@live.com Posted at 2015-5-10 02:55
Yesterday when I was flying my phantom 2 v+ all 4 props fell off at the same time. I don't kniow if  ...

Oh really. Hahaha
That doesn't sound feasible, and with no active braking installed. . . Hmmm

RedHotPoker
2015-5-9
Use props
JKT
lvl.4

United States

imwhitey Posted at 2015-5-9 11:06
I hand tightened my P3 props pretty good just to be on the safe side. I tried to loosen a couple of  ...

i am an owner of an inspiere 1 and one of the things that we talked about over tightning props. we thought that over tightening the prop can potentially  in the long run affect the treads on the propellers or on the motors.  just my two cents.
2015-5-9
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

The Inspire weighs a lot more, so the props are doing a lot more work.

You can turn down the amount of active braking. I've done so for now - not for a fear of props spinning off, but because I thought it was a little too aggressive with the braking. I will test some more - but at least at lower setting for Active Braking, the risk of loosing a prop should also be less.
2015-5-9
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

There have been some isolated reports of props spinning off the P2 - very few! I have to assume these were not even snugged on by hand.
One forum member worked out the torque calculations and it is certainly possible - but only IF the user fails to snug them.

I don't think this is a problem with either the 2 or 3 - but put them on fairly hand tight to make sure!
2015-5-9
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Hi FantomDK,
Do you know whether the active braking on the new Phantom 3 is also adjustable?
That would be a great way to help prevent this disastrous rotor blade loss situation from taking place.

RedHotPoker

2015-5-9
Use props
dorn.michael10
lvl.3

United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2015-5-10 08:10
Hi FantomDK,
That wo ...

Yes, it is fully adjustable in the DJI Pilot App
2015-5-10
Use props
mmee1992
lvl.3
United States

Two Snakes Posted at 2015-5-10 03:02
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the manual says to hand tighten. (it also say they are self tigh ...

It also includes a prop wrench so who knows...
2015-5-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Using an included wrench, on those plastic threads, to tighten the rotor blades?
I wonder, just how tightened they must be, beyond firmly, turned down on the motor shafts?

I wouldn't want to strip anything, from twisting, being overcautious.

RedHotPoker
2015-5-11
Use props
estacionsj
lvl.1

United States

what is active braking, what does it actually do. is there some were i can find what it is and what i does
2015-5-11
Use props
BoostedPhantom
lvl.2

United States

estacionsj@hotm Posted at 2015-5-12 10:40
what is active braking, what does it actually do. is there some were i can find what it is and what  ...

I think this is referring to pulling back on the joystick for 'reverse' instead of just letting go of the sticks completely and letting the craft hover to a fixed position.  This active braking will obviously bring the craft to a stop faster.
2015-5-12
Use props
estacionsj
lvl.1

United States

BoostedPhantom Posted at 2015-5-13 01:29
I think this is referring to pulling back on the joystick for 'reverse' instead of just letting go  ...

The reason I ask is because I saw some were on the forum , that some people have had there phantom props fall out in mid air.
2015-5-12
Use props
BoostedPhantom
lvl.2

United States

I just hand tighten the props until the motor starts to turn and then hold the motor still with my fingers and slightly tighten the props further.  I never use the prop jamming tool for this.

Those users with the prop issues probably didn't get them tight and then did aggressive flight maneuvers, which led to the malfunction IMO.
2015-5-12
Use props
eughor
lvl.1

Australia

I have a Phantom 3 Pro..... the active braking is great... allows me stop the drone quickly for example trying to avoid an obstacle.
Loving the Phantom 3 Pro until.... the propeller flew off !!!!!!! So much for the self tightening prop...

I was already flying the drone a few minutes and it was doing fine... until I did a fast turn and braking at the same time... thats the I saw the prop flew off... and the horror started !!!

Not a pretty sight to cut the story short. Initially I was perplexed abt seeing the prop flying off and then the drone just went haywire and into a dive... couldn't do anything but watch.
And I have a little OCD as well... so i can tell you the prop was tight when i fastened them on.

The Phantom 3 needs a prop lock as well !!!

Please spread the word to DJI... if you guys experience any strange crashes or prop flying off... DJI needs to know abt them. The active braking on the Phantom is great but it is an accident waiting to happen.

2015-9-30
Use props
terrylewis
First Officer
Flight distance : 3517287 ft
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2015-5-10 08:10
Hi FantomDK,
That wo ...

Here's one pilots suggestions for adjusting the braking:

2015-9-30
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

@terrylewis,
Yeah, that's good to know. So thanks bud. That's an option that needs to be checked out, for sure.
I do spin my props on quite firmly though, so I am not too worried about losing one, while I'm still in flight.

Something to consider.

RedHotPoker

2015-9-30
Use props
snarlyoldman
lvl.1
Flight distance : 70568 ft
United States

eughor Posted at 2015-9-30 10:24
I have a Phantom 3 Pro..... the active braking is great... allows me stop the drone quickly for exam ...

I had a prop fly off yesterday.  I distinctly remember tightening the props prior to launching.  No Aggressive  maneuvers were performed.  Just flying straight and level at about 180 feet.  What a sick feeling watching it fall from the sky.  It's only about a month old.  Just shipped it off via FEDEX to the California repair facility today.
2016-2-5
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

It's a Good thing the rotor blades on my new Heli-Max Voltage 500 3D are held on to the motors with two screws each, which are thread locked...
These motors can actually change direction of spin, in mid flight. Never mind active braking, just to idle or hover speed. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2016-2-5
Use props
artworksmetal
lvl.1

United States

DJI should indicate an optimum torque setting. Of course, then we'd need a specialized torque wrench.
2016-2-6
Use props
WetDog
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1131886 ft
United States

FantomDK Posted at 2015-5-9 13:28
The Inspire weighs a lot more, so the props are doing a lot more work.

You can turn down the amount ...

I agree that the active braking defaults on the Phantom are too aggressive - especially for a photographic platform.  If you are prone to smacking into hard objects, by all means leave it up, otherwise dial it down.  The think slows down pretty fast with minimal braking.

I just spin the props down and snug them with my fingers.  
2016-2-6
Use props
snarlyoldman
lvl.1
Flight distance : 70568 ft
United States

Hersh Posted at 2015-9-30 16:14
I too had a prop spin off in flight. I had been in fast forward flight and lost a prop when I slowed ...

Did DJI fix it under warranty or did you have to pay for the repair?
2016-2-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules