Phantom 2 - Phantom 3 Propellers
19971 29 2015-5-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jdeiwert
lvl.1

United States

Do the Phantom 2 propellers fit the Phantom 3?
2015-5-9
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Yes they fit - but they are not suitable and could come off in flight.
2015-5-9
Use props
Cacc
lvl.3

Canada

While the v3 Phantom 2 propellers are the same size and pitch (9450), they are made of a slightly different material and could snap because of the active breaking. It is recommended that you don't use them, but they will work.
2015-5-9
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

Would absolutely not risk it.

The new ones fit a lot more snugly, which is likely needed for the active braking which as already been mentioned.

You have an extra set coming with the P3. Knock on wood, I've never damaged a propeller (not yet) so I've been flying with the same original set on my P2V+ - and I've flown that hundreds of times. And 12 times with the P3P.
2015-5-9
Use props
jonnied2010
lvl.3

United States

Will the P3 props work on the P2Vision + V3. I think it would be a good idea for DJI to Make one prop work on both.
2015-5-9
Use props
Cacc
lvl.3

Canada

jonnied2010 Posted at 2015-5-10 01:13
Will the P3 props work on the P2Vision + V3. I think it would be a good idea for DJI to Make one pro ...

The Phantom 3 props work on the Phantom 2 without problem and supposedly will be more efficient.
2015-5-9
Use props
jdeiwert
lvl.1

United States

Cacc Posted at 2015-5-9 22:06
While the v3 Phantom 2 propellers are the same size and pitch (9450), they are made of a slightly di ...

Thank you for the information.  I will sell my extra Phantom 2 props with my Phantom 2 and order some extra Phantom 3 props.
2015-5-9
Use props
andreas
lvl.2
Flight distance : 28442 ft
Germany

jdeiwert@indy.n Posted at 2015-5-10 05:42
Thank you for the information.  I will sell my extra Phantom 2 props with my Phantom 2 and order s ...

Um.. where will you order Phantom 3 props? I wasn't able to find them here in the dji store or anywhere else, would be thankful for hints as I broke my first pair. :-/

Best,
Andreas
2015-5-9
Use props
Cacc
lvl.3

Canada

andreas@gehret. Posted at 2015-5-10 07:16
Um.. where will you order Phantom 3 props? I wasn't able to find them here in the dji store or any ...

You can't get them YET, just like you can't get spare batteries, chargers, or any accessories YET. They are coming. If you need extra props NOW then you could use Phantom 2 props, just make sure they are the newer versions with the deeper pitch -- the 9450 instead of the 9443 -- and do not fly aggressively at all.
2015-5-9
Use props
PaulOTron
lvl.2

United States

Dear readers of this thread: There are times when people say "It's not recommended" and it's okay to ignore it because the risk is negligible.

This is not such a scenario.  Trying this will probably make your quad die.
2015-5-9
Use props
Cacc
lvl.3

Canada

PaulOTron Posted at 2015-5-10 10:30
Dear readers of this thread: There are times when people say "It's not recommended" and it's okay to ...

The official stance of DJI is that using Phantom 2 props on the Phantom 3 WILL snap your props in flight because of the active braking. Standard props are designed to take airflow in one direction and severe stress is put on them if you try to force it back the other way. Until there is a way to turn off active braking it is a matter of WHEN your props will snap, not IF. If you do use Phantom 2 props, just don't take it on a long journey or higher than you are comfortable with your quad falling from.
2015-5-9
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Snapping props?    The risk is that the props loosen in flight - not snap.
Composite hubs would have no effect in preventing snapping but they will help keep your props on.
2015-5-9
Use props
PaulOTron
lvl.2

United States

Cacc Posted at 2015-5-10 11:31
The official stance of DJI is that using Phantom 2 props on the Phantom 3 WILL snap your props in  ...

I think you missed the second paragraph of the post to which you are replying.
2015-5-9
Use props
thedjiguy
lvl.1

United States

They do not work together as confirmed by multiple sources:  http://www.phantompilots.com/thr ... work-with-p3.39697/
2015-5-10
Use props
Jshearin
lvl.2

United States

BHphotoVideo is claiming the 9450 is compatible and selling as an accessory to the P3, I stripped the thread in one prop of my new P3 not realizing the hub changed.
I'm an early adopter of DJI so I do have a level of trust but definately eyes open since I've never stripped the inside of a hub before.  I guess it can be a bit confusing and should be suggested to hand tighten and use the prop wrench to remove the prop if that is the intended method.  
2015-5-10
Use props
Cacc
lvl.3

Canada

The P2 props have the metal hub verses the new ones of the P3 which have the nylon hub, so it is very likely that the metal puts undue pressure (and weight) on the motor shafts and thread. It is not worth the potential serious issues going with the old-style...even though the new ones are not available to purchase yet. With none of the market yet from DJI, I am a little surprised that people haven't started selling their spare sets for a premium price yet. Hell, you can sell both sets and a battery to those who don't want to wait for the retail market to catch up and consider it a rebate for keeping grounded. There are people who want an extra battery NOW and more props NOW and are willing to pay more to not have to wait...just saying.
2015-5-10
Use props
estacionsj
lvl.1

United States

The official stance of DJI is that using Phantom 2 props on the Phantom 3 WILL snap your props in  ...

what is active braking, what does it actually do. is there some were i can find what it is and what i does
2015-5-11
Use props
mike
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

Active braking is where the motors are physically stopped -- as opposed to cutting the power and letting them freely stop.

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)
2015-5-11
Use props
Cacc
lvl.3

Canada

It is braking that physically stops the propellers instead of a spin-down. This allows for immediate stops. With the Phantom 2, when you push the right stick all the way to the right and then release, it will gently glide into a stop which could be many meters from where you let go. With active braking it will stop almost right away making it much more precise.
2015-5-11
Use props
Abe
lvl.4
Flight distance : 524032 ft
  • >>>
United States

The real problem was first "discovered" with the Inspire 1. Some Inspire pilots began reporting that propellers were flying off, crashing their $3K aircraft. After much finger pointing, mostly claiming that people were not tightening the propellers properly, DJI realized that they really were flying off. Initially that made no sense. They are self-tightening, after all. But the braking system on the motors combined with the mass of the spinning propellers were together enough to loosen and even unscrew the propellers from the motors and fall off, particularly in windy conditions or aggressive flights.

On the Inspire, DJI designed and began offering free propeller locks that you attached to each propeller. Later they came out with self locking propellers (also sent out for free to us Inspire customers) that you no longer screw on, but rather push down and turn to install. Much like child proof medicine bottles.

I've not yet received my P3P (arriving on Thursday), but I am interested in understanding what's different about screw-on P3 propellers that will make them stay on better than screw-on P2 propellers. If they both screw on with no locking mechanism, then the only thing that keeps them on is making sure you tighten them enough. Also, because the P2/P3 propellers are smaller and lighter than the Inspire propellers, maybe it's really not that much of an issue, such that either the P2 or P3 propeller should work equally well. Those of you with both a P2 and a P3 care to comment about specifically what makes a P3 propeller stay on better than a P2 propeller?
2015-5-11
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You can get props here ( the composite ones ) - http://click.dji.com/K8hsNp6ZbqFYWjCT - Yeah they don't have the plain white ones bit who cares, just get blue ones - I have compare these to the ones that come with the P3 and they are the same.. Dont be a fool and pay $30+ or whatever P3 props are being advertised for pre-sale here and get these whilst they are £4 or $6 a pair before DJI realise and bump the price
2015-5-11
Use props
candubob
lvl.1

Canada

Hi sploodge,
have you tried the E310 prop on the p3.  What  about weight and shape.
if it works, it will allow me to do a lot more testing on P3 without running out of prop.
2015-5-12
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

candubob Posted at 2015-5-12 20:11
Hi sploodge,
have you tried the E310 prop on the p3.  What  about weight and shape.
if it works, it  ...

I will get the info later tonight ( weight, shape ). Will also take photos. Not flown with them yet as its crap weather where I live..
2015-5-12
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

See this thread for comparison of the E310 props to stock P3 ones - http://forum.dji.com/thread-14938-1-1.html
2015-5-12
Use props
myth55au
lvl.1

Australia

I to have just managed to strip the thread on a prop .. I didn't feel i was tightening to hard just a a little nip .. but i was using the prop spanner on the motor .. there doesn't appear to be much thread and feels like very soft cheap plastic/nylon  ..  I do like to make sure they are snug but i must admit to feeling like these things will be very easy to strip as its hard to get a sense of the things being on tight enough . I have never felt that about other props i have used , although most of the props I've used have a metal hub
2015-6-10
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

"I have just managed to strip the thread on a prop .. I didn't feel i was tightening to hard just a a little nip .. but i was using the prop spanner on the motor"
DJI's instructions as per the manual are:
Hand tighten each of the propellers on the corresponding motors to ensure it is attached firmly.
The composite hub is designed to grip the motor but it has plastic threads.
If you use the wrench (which is for undoing tight props) you are likely to strip more plastic threads.
Sending up a Phantom with weakened prop threads isn't going to enhance flight safety.
2015-6-10
Use props
clkilljoy1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15207 ft
United States

Cacc Posted at 2015-5-9 22:06
While the v3 Phantom 2 propellers are the same size and pitch (9450), they are made of a slightly di ...

Glad to see you corrected this in later posts. Is "active breaking" like when you hit a tree?? Sorry could not resist.  
2015-6-10
Use props
Iflewbyyou
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1066076 ft
  • >>>
United States

mike@singerscre Posted at 2015-5-11 21:43
Active braking is where the motors are physically stopped -- as opposed to cutting the power and let ...

Active breaking  doesn't stop the motors, it stops the aircraft in space right where you take your hands off the sticks, by locking onto that GPS point in space.  It achieves this by tilting the aircraft and actually speeding-up the props until the drone comes to a stop and hovers right where you stopped giving it instructions.
2015-9-2
Use props
pierre_truchon
New

Looks the same as per photos, embossed part id on both is 9450.
2016-5-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules