Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Inspire 1 looses all power and falls to the ground
1857 12 2015-5-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
zeffa
lvl.1
Flight distance : 775308 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

On 5th May 2015 I upgraded to firmware 1.2.1.0
Later that day I was descending to land, after a 3 minute flight on a fully charged battery.
It was a calm day sunny day, with no wind.
At about 8m above the ground the Inspire 1 lost all power and crashed.

There is an Incredibly dangerous and potentially fatal floor in this firmware.

Up until this point the performance of the Inspire 1 had been floor less, with multiple firmware upgrades and flights with no problems what so ever.

I am a trained professional and have clocked 170+ hours on my Inspire, and use it commercially to produce aerial video content.

On the 6th May version 1.2.1.03 came out.

Am I the most unlucky SOB ?
Would this crash had happened if I hadent flowen on the 5th and upgraded on the 6th ? lol

I have since heard of 4 other craft that have suffer the same fate on 1.2.1.0

If you havent upgraded to 1.2.1.03, I would highly recomend it !

2015-5-10
Use props
Boogieman
First Officer
Flight distance : 5611893 ft
  • >>>
United States

What does the battery show in its history?
2015-5-10
Use props
GB44
Captain
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

I wonder if this is the issues I have experienced whilst in simulator mode also.    Weak Transmission Signal, then out of no way controller disconnects altogether.  If this happened in mid flight it should in theory activate a return to home, but this has never happened yet in the simulator.  It simply disconnects from the aircraft and the aircraft is left hovering in the simulator.  So I am presuming if this can happen in the simulator it could also happen in actual flight, which is a serious safety issue especially if it fails to return home.
2015-5-10
Use props
TravisSRT
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18326348 ft
  • >>>
United States

Same thing happened to me except I was flying straight ahead and mine fell ~230 into a river to be swept away forever...
2015-5-10
Use props
tpallai
Second Officer

United States

I had a similar experience as far as firmware realeased on the day of my accident. I was using the firmware where GPS drops out of no where. I flew it, the GPS dropped not, bird crashed. The SAME DAY the firmware came out that fixed it. Talk about unlucky. And now it's in repair with a broken camera and gimbal, one side of carbon fiber arms broken, and probably a bit more.....
2015-5-10
Use props
rbaaij
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73871 ft
United States

On April 17 I submitted a thread how perfect my Inspire-1 was functioning while generating video for a movie about Foz do Iguacu in Brasil. Unfortunately yesterday My Inspire-1 just crashed. Before flying I performed all the pre-flight requirements and everything seems perfect. Aircraft and TX have latest firmware. After the crash the logfile told me the following: Inspire-1 height 50 feet, I had a visual, distance was 150 feet, GPS full bars, aircraft battery 98%. At the moment of the crash NO trottle activity and a very slight rudder activity.The Inspire-1 fell first on a roof of a house and ended up in the front yard. Front right arm broken, gimble broken in pieces. several propellers broken and some scratches on the top housing.   Before flying I checked the 4 motors for any abnormalities but they were fine. After the crash, the front right motor is having some problem, it could be a bearing (could that be the reason of the crash) or the motor got damaged due to the crash.
As soon as I am back in the USA the Inspire-1 goes to DJI for repair.  
My Inspire-1 was received on May 4th by DJI.
2015-5-10
Use props
roy
lvl.1

United States

This is f'ing ridiculous.

Get your shit together DJI!

This thing is not fit for flight since the latest app and firmware updates. I can't get my money back from the dealer I bought it from at this point but I'd like to send this back to DJI for a refund. Legally, you could make an argument that you should  get your money back under the implied warranty of merchantability.

I can't fly this thing in good conscience anywhere near people or property. And even flying in a completely barren area I risk losing the bird from a crash or flyaway.

2015-5-10
Use props
zeffa
lvl.1
  • >>>
New Zealand

Boogieman Posted at 2015-5-10 22:03
What does the battery show in its history?

I checked that and it was all ok. I know there has been an issue with the lights not showing the correct charge.
2015-5-10
Use props
zeffa
lvl.1
  • >>>
New Zealand

rbaaij Posted at 2015-5-11 01:43
On April 17 I submitted a thread how perfect my Inspire-1 was functioning while generating video fo ...

How did you extract the log file ? I tried by connecting to the rear usb, but my mac would not see the Inspire as a external drive.
2015-5-10
Use props
rbaaij
Second Officer
United States

The log file is inside your iPad or whatever device you use with your TX. You can use the IFunbox software to extract log file from your TX device (iPad or iPhone)
2015-5-10
Use props
PeteGould
Second Officer

United States

rbaaij Posted at 2015-5-11 05:47
The log file is inside your iPad or whatever device you use with your TX. You can use the IFunbox so ...

That is not correct.  While there is a rudimentary flight record on the mobile device that was connected to the controller, the detailed flight record is contained on a separate built-in SD card within the bird (NOT the one user-installed in the camera).  This flight log is in a proprietary format that only DJI can read and is accessed via a USB connector on the bird itself.  This should be accessed while communicating with DJI tech support.
2015-5-10
Use props
rbaaij
Second Officer
United States

Hi Pete,
Thanks for this info. Any idea what info is in the txt file in the iPad?
2015-5-10
Use props
jimhare
Captain
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

zeffa@outlook.c Posted at 2015-5-11 04:25
How did you extract the log file ? I tried by connecting to the rear usb, but my mac would not see ...

I got stuck by this as well.  You need to open the APP and push Enter Flight Data Mode.   Then the Mac will see it.    Took me a long time to figure this out!
2015-5-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules