6593 20 2015-5-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dlew21
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3963865 ft
  • >>>
United States

I wanted to share this as it is a critical matter that could literally hurt people if not known about. We were shooting with the inspire on a fully charged battery that was new (we had 3 flights already finished).  After flying for a bit the battery went from 60% charged to 5% in one second. From there all hell broke loose.  Critical battery warnings, critical failure warnings etc.  The bird probably would've gone down HARD, however it was not very high up and I was able to situate it right over me as it came straight down in a "death" spiral (5 percent!!!).  If the bird was literally anywhere else but where it was I would be having a different conversation and a different post.  We will be contatctkng DJi.   As for those who buy new batteries....???  I guess we've come to the point where we have to test them before EVERY flight? I'm starting to think these are a great concept yet horrible in delivery.   It's too much, issue after issue,  I'm sick of it.   As a side note.  Firmware was up to date on everything (again).

2015-5-10
Use props
Boogieman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5611893 ft
  • >>>
United States

Does the battery show any cell errors in its history?
2015-5-10
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

Boogieman Posted at 2015-5-10 22:02
Does the battery show any cell errors in its history?

Yet another report of the same thing ...

GPS loss and things like that I can handle ... but when the battery goes dead on you no experience in the world will help you ... !

I am not surprised that a lot of forum users are having problems with their Inspire 1 ...
This is the place I would go if I had problems with mine!
I am sure a lot of birds are working just fine all over the world ...

This new battery related problem is making me think twice before taking of ... and at the moment I will try to fly as safe as possible (not to far away and over open spaces) ...

I assume that DJI would like to get their hands on these faulty batteries to test if it is a hardware or a software problem we are looking at!
2015-5-10
Use props
dundee
First Officer
Flight distance : 33550 ft

Thailand

Of all the news i gadered on this issue, i think you must (after latest FW update) deplete each battery down to 5% and the fully charge again.

Also you said that 3th battery was new. Was this battery updated ?
2015-5-10
Use props
Boogieman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5611893 ft
  • >>>
United States

Also on a new battery I always fly it the first 2-3 times at least near the ground and kinda break it in.  I know it sounds lame but that way the battery and you will know whats going on.  Better safe than sorry.
2015-5-10
Use props
roy
lvl.2

United States

DJI Inspire 1 = Russian Roulette
2015-5-10
Use props
dlew21
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

roy@netraction. Posted at 2015-5-11 04:18
DJI Inspire 1 = Russian Roulette

I totally agree.  I am so pissed offbeat this..  This happens if front of client and you look so stupid.  I mean how fuckin$ hard is it to get a new battery to work??

As well, the cameras need improvement.  I've been getting ALL types of distortion on the DJI.  The horizons are horrible.   I have a feeling there is a lot of dissension in the ranks at DJI among those who know that the product could be a lot better.  Hell, the Phantom 3 in my eyes is a superior product..  
2015-5-10
Use props
dlew21
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Of course DJI sent me through the phone loop!   I am honestly thinking about legal action.   2 months and counting for my camera repair!!!!  Nobody is talking with me about my damn battery failing, nobody is being straight with me about repairs.   This is a joke!!!!   WTF??
2015-5-12
Use props
jhogge
lvl.2

United States

This has been reported many times and DJI has offered no solution. Losing your investment due to this would be terrible. Even worse, your Inspire coming down and seriously injuring someone due to this would be absolutely tragic. One day DJI could face a massive lawsuit due to this serious negligence. There is plenty of documented cases where very serious issues are being reported with no fixes in sight. Just read these forums that DJI owns and you will find many examples that should scare the crap out of anyone who owns one of these disasters waiting to happen.

Be safe as possible people. I simply do not fly anywhere near other people or in a place where the Inspire could fall out of the sky and injure someone. I have lost all confidence in this company.
2015-5-12
Use props
Rbimd
lvl.3
Flight distance : 407710 ft
United States

I have actually been trying to study this very problem ( look up "Understanding Battery Suddden Drop Phenomenon") but i cannot replicate the problem with my batteries. I have asked those who experience this to send battery logs to me but apparently there is a lack of interest. At any rate, the most consistent associations with this problem are:
(1) flying with a battery which has recently or is currently undergoing a "self-discharge"
(2) flying with a battery that has been partially discharged, then turned off, but not recharged fully before another flight
(3) flying with a battery which has a damaged cell (from info on the battery stays screen ( significant cell-voltage anomaly compared to the rest of the cells in the pack)

The issue MAY be with the smart battery chip not being able to properly calculate the true voltage state of the pack unless it has been fully discharged, then fully recharged, thus, calibrated. I have noted significant battery life is degradation if you DEEP discharge ( I was going down to 1-2% ) so I recommend not going below 6-7%. This is accomplished by flying a battery down to " critical low- Battery" warning then overriding the RTH and maintaining a low-hover in a safe location until battery is at your desired level.

I cannot comment on the new firmware because I haven't upgraded yet ;) I have learned to wait a few weeks to read the forums about the latest round of bugs......
2015-5-13
Use props
delas
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1372287 ft
Greece

This is what happened to me yesterday.
i was shooting in nature with a fully charged battery.
it was 84% when suddenly went down to 20% and warned me that within 10 seconds will automatically go back to home point. i was very lucky because it was very close to me and i had the time to bring it back sooner AND SAFE. after that incident the battery is DEAD. . . . COMPLETELY DEAD.
2015-5-13
Use props
pb05life
lvl.2

United States

Rbimd Posted at 2015-5-13 18:31
I have actually been trying to study this very problem ( look up "Understanding Battery Suddden Drop ...

How do I give you battery logs? All 3 of my batteries work perfect until they hit 25% then almost instantly go to 5%. started as soon as I did the last firmware update. does it every time. about 15 times for me since firmware upgrade.

I have been trying to downgrade my firmware but can't figure that out.

The batteries work perfect in my friends.
2015-5-15
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

Guys curious what have you all set the discharge cycle too?
how many days ?
I set all mine for 10 days and no issues to date and will hover test each battery this week All 7..

Curious what default you all have yours set to?
2015-5-15
Use props
dlew21
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Colonel Angus Posted at 2015-5-16 14:20
Guys curious what have you all set the discharge cycle too?
how many days ?
I set all mine for 10 d ...

Ok I have done some research on this and here is what I have found from personal experience.

1.  When using a brand new battery you cannot simply charge it all of the way up.  You have to burn the battery down as low as possible, recharge and update firmware.   One reason that these are happening with new batteries is because they have been on the shelves awhile now, and it seems that they are not able to decipher how fast the charge is actually dropping.  For example, the battery doesn't seem to see a difference in a battery going below the storage threshold  as opposed to when first turned on.   Therefore a battery will, and does, and has, simply passed what I will call the long "storage"  threshold and simply discharge thinking it is actually doing something good for the battery by keeping it discharged in order to give it longer life in the long run.
NOTE+++  
This week I noticed something new (Of course DJI is not allowed to admit it, as I am sure this has class action lawsuit written all over it) as the batteries are now "upgrading" before flight.  I imagine this "upgrade" (that I have never seen previously) is voiding the batteries ability for automatic discharge or at least telling it of the proper time to do so.   Also I have seen, again for the very first time,  that a "battery" power cycle warning is coming up when a new battery is being used and it will indiscriminately lock up you r unit..   This notice is literally BRAND new (5/16).  I'm talking in the last few days new in my experience and I am very happy DJI is doing this.  Rather safe then sorry.  However, for many people it is too late, as this was a huge issue and it was never publicly acknowledged.   
Lastly, here is the ball breaker.   Lets say you are on a shoot and DJI decides you have to upgrade your firmware because of a faulty something or another.... Well guess what..... FREEZE.  You just got locked out and you are 2 hours from the nearest computer in order to upgrade your Inspire1.   Ya that just happened.  

2015-5-17
Use props
TuonoV4
lvl.2

South Africa

First test flight since firmware update lasted all of 2mins when at 52% (no the battery wasn't fully charged) I see a "critical electrical failure" warning and the bird started to land itself. In my rush to retrieve her and get her low to the ground, she just kept going down. Did a head over heals twice but, luckily, nothing broken. Boy I would have been pissed if I'd broken my new props!
2015-5-21
Use props
dlew21
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

TuonoV4 Posted at 2015-5-21 21:20
First test flight since firmware update lasted all of 2mins when at 52% (no the battery wasn't fully ...

What!??? Are you serious?  This is crazy.  We all need to document this as this problem may not have anything to do with firmware... Is it a bigger issue?
2015-5-24
Use props
3talbs
lvl.1

United States

i also had a similar issue when about 30 sec after liftoff with a 50% charge, "warning critically low battery, landing" WTF?? It descended quickly and i almost got it to open ground but clipped a sage and broke 2 props. This thread has shed light on what likely happened. Thanks! Now my I1 is w/ DJI as it wouldn't accept the last update. when i get it back i will see about retrieving bat logs.  Sounds like you need an upper degree for battery operation these days.
2015-5-24
Use props
russell
lvl.1
Flight distance : 24259 ft

United States

how does one test a battery for failure.  had a new battery in and my p3p unexpectedly landed in water after warning, landing  landing,  landing.   thought the water had something to do with it, issues maybe battery issues   
2015-6-5
Use props
dlew21
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

russell Posted at 2015-6-6 08:10
how does one test a battery for failure.  had a new battery in and my p3p unexpectedly landed in wat ...

That was most likely you hitting the home button.  Red warning on screen, and lots of them would indicate battery failure.
2015-6-10
Use props
quasimodo
lvl.1

Malaysia

im a p3A user. i also have the same problem. batt 70% suddenly screams critical low battery. at that time i was 300m away from me...so i immediately turn back safely landed. really frustrating as i was about to make a long distance flight as i was in at the right place to do it. after give it a while i try the battery again this time i fly harder. nothing happened. i tested again the battery the next week by hovering it at 1 spot...nothing happened.
2015-10-1
Use props
quasimodo
lvl.1

Malaysia

russell Posted at 2015-6-6 08:10
how does one test a battery for failure.  had a new battery in and my p3p unexpectedly landed in wat ...

i formatted my sdcard after that...all seems ok so far....coz previously the firmware was in the sdcard when the problem happened...i dont know maybe it related.
2015-10-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules