Is heat a concern when sitting idle?
1208 2 2015-5-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

In the process of trying to learn about all the bells, whistles and flashing lights of the DJI Pilot app it requires the Phantom just sitting for long periods of time without the props running.  Normally, this is what would provide the airflow to keep everything cool.  But I've noticed both the body of the Phantom and especially the upper plate of the gimbal assembly can get quite warm, even with the small fan that is in the gibbal running.  I don't know if the heat buildup is really an issue but out of an abundance of caution I rummaged around and found a little USB powered fan that I can put next to the Phantom while it's just simmering.  
It would be nice to get some kind of feedback from DJI on whether or not heat is an issue during long periods of idling.  Or any other useful comments.

FanForPhantom.JPG
2015-5-11
Use props
DJI-Autumn
Second Officer

Hong Kong

I think it's normal.
Since the video transmission exist during the long priods of idling, the gimble, main controller or other components will heat up because of the data processing.
2015-5-12
Use props
gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

DJI-Autumn Posted at 2015-5-12 17:39
I think it's normal.
Since the video transmission exist during the long priods of idling, the gimble ...

Ok, so uhhh... does that mean yes or no?

Is heat a concern?  Would you recommend an alternative means like a fan to provide airflow when it is sitting idle for extended periods?
2015-5-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules