Tilted Horizon issues on Phantom 3 pro
12Next >
22977 52 2015-5-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
radmjk
lvl.1

United States

Still having issues with a tilted horizon during first few flights. I have updated latest software and I am running ios.

I have performed IMU calibration and the gimbal/camera calibration.

It seems to come and go throughout the flights. I did not have these issues with the Phantom +vision 2 V3.

Not sure what else to do. My copter did come with the camera mount dislodged in shipping.

Any further thoughts would be appreciated.

2015-5-15
Use props
jeff.wyman.mac
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3194669 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Try turning  off FPV in camera settings.
2015-5-15
Use props
radmjk
lvl.1

United States

I do fly in Follow mode. I have noticed several videos online with the same issue I am having.  Seems to be pretty universal. Again, I did not experience this with my previous Phantom 2+visionV3.
2015-5-15
Use props
raiedzeidan
lvl.3
Flight distance : 755033 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI will have you send pictures for examples dont bother wasting your time with the chat. Send email to the US support. Waiting to see what they suggest. You can do a gimbal offset to correct it just doesn't save.
2015-5-15
Use props
espinosa.josero
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8320 ft
Mexico

radmjk@yahoo.co Posted at 2015-5-16 02:03
I do fly in Follow mode. I have noticed several videos online with the same issue I am having.  Seem ...

I had the same problem at my first flight then I realized that the foam on the gimbal was not removed... Today I took it and I did not have that problem anymore... Did you take the foam from the gimbal?
2015-5-15
Use props
scott7161
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

espinosa.josero Posted at 2015-5-16 12:05
I had the same problem at my first flight then I realized that the foam on the gimbal was not rem ...

I'm still having problems with the horizon not being level after IMU recalibration and removing the packing materials.  It's not as pronounced after the recalibration but it's still there...

Scott
2015-5-15
Use props
david.p.mann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>
United States

I agree. I thought I had corrected this "tilted horizon" problem via multiple IMU calibrations - including the refrigerator chilling prior to IMU calibration (boy did my wife give me funny looks when I did that) an multple Gimbal auto calibrations befofore and immediately after IMU calibration on a firm absolutely level surface.  BUT THE TILTED HORIZON ISSUE WILL NOT PERMANENTLY GO AWAY!  Sometimes its gone for one flight, but comes back the next flight or during the same flight. And yes - iRemoved the foam piece behind the gimbal immediately after unboxing. I have also tried adjusting the gimbal roll to get the camera level BEFORE performing an IMU calibration, but that didn't fix the tilted horizon permanently either. And the horizon is ALWAYS higher on the right-hand side of recorded videos.  Since this is prevalent in most of the first flight videoes and many 2nd, 3rd, . . . videoes posted on YouTube by Phantom 3 owner's, it is obvious this is a pervasive problem affecting many, if not all, Phantom 3s out of the box.  It appears some P3 owners either got a level camera out of the box, or the IMU/gimbal calibration permanently fixed their tilted horizon problem.

I certainly hope that DJI is able to release a firmware fix SOON that addresses the tilted horizon issue.  However, I'm beginning to suspect this is a due to a bad factory calibration on out-of-calibration factory equipment.  If so, the only permanent fix may require returning the P3 to DJI, or exchanging it for another if your vendor allows this.

If anyone has a permanent, reliable fix for the tilted horizon issue that survives multiple power on-off cycles and camera tilts and aircraft yaws, then please post it for the rest of us.  THANKS.
2015-5-31
Use props
pjw2565
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1598881 ft
United States

david.p.mann@ea Posted at 2015-6-1 06:38
I agree. I thought I had corrected this "tilted horizon" problem via multiple IMU calibrations - inc ...

Hi David, did you ever get your issue corrected?  I just received my P3 A on friday, and I noticed yesterday that I have a tilted horizon issue with my phantom as well.  It straightens out as rotate and pan the image, but as soon as I start moving forward it tilts again.  My gimbal guard had also fallen off during shipping. I haven't done a gimbal or a IMU calibration yet, and I plan to do that tonight.  But it sounds like it may be a common issue with the P3 and that it probably won't solve the issue.

I was just wondering if you found the fix?
2015-6-9
Use props
bretlucas
lvl.1

New Zealand

It appears to be a universal problem with the horizon showing an uphill slope from left to right. Easy fix though. Get airborne, climb to a height that gives you a clean horizon and then manually change the gimbal roll in the DJI Pilot settings. The setting won't stick but this is an easy adjustment to make, just make it part of your work flow. The setting will hold for the duration of your flight. Job done. :-)
2015-6-19
Use props
bahamasboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13845 ft
United States

I too, after two IMU (cold bird) calibrations, followed by gimbal calibrations, still have the dreaded left to right uphill slant.   If I level it out using the app adjustment, it goes in and out of level while flying!   Usually in forward for backward flight I can watch the low side become the high side.   I meant to check this theory today but totally forgot.....  does the camera hold its level better once adjusted via the app while in the straight forward , no tilt position and NEVER tilted down?   OR phrased another way... do you see more horizon issues after tilting your camera?    I fly only in FOLLOW mode.  

What's your experience?  Has anyone ever tried these types of experiments??  
2015-6-20
Use props
justinlitt
New

United States

I'm just jumping on the band wagon here. I hate having to level my horizon all the time. Hoping for a fix soon.
2015-6-24
Use props
BMWKante
lvl.2

Austria

justinlitt Posted at 2015-6-25 10:29
I'm just jumping on the band wagon here. I hate having to level my horizon all the time. Hoping for  ...

yes I would like also to have a fix for this problem
2015-6-25
Use props
david.p.mann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>
United States

pjw2565@gmail.c Posted at 2015-6-9 22:27
Hi David, did you ever get your issue corrected?  I just received my P3 A on friday, and I noticed ...

YES - I finally resolved my tilted horizon problem - thus far, it's lasted through six flights over a week's time.  Here's a link to my post describing what I did. Your experience may vary.  Basically, I chilled my P3 in the fridge for an hour, then performed an immediate IMU on a perfectly level surface on power-up.  I still get a little tilt after a yaw maneuver, but the camera level usually corrects within 10-20 seconds.  I can live with that.  Note that the first time I performed an IMU calibration after updating to firmware 1.2.6, and only chilled the P3 for 30 minutes in the fridge, it didn't correct my tilted gimbal.  Can't say for certain it was the extra long chilling for one hour, or just dumb luck, that resulted in a perfectly level camera after the second attempt.

Tilted Horizon Fix Post:  http://forum.dji.com/thread-22338-1-1.html

Note: another poster has suggested that using the gimbal wheel to tilt the camera straight down pointing at ground BEFORE starting the auto gimbal calibration (with P3 sitting on a perfectly level surface) did the trick for him.  You might try that simple technique first, before putting your P3 in the fridge for an hour (and dealing with a spouse that questions your intelligence/sanity ).
2015-6-25
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

I did a cold IMU calibration and perform the gimbal cal before each flight.  I don't have any issue.

If the Quad takes off from an un level surface the horizon will be tilted.  Make sure the ground is level when you take off.  Your camera will only be as level as the ground you take off from.
2015-6-25
Use props
luv2drum
New

United States

Just adding another P3A user that has experienced the tilted horizon issue.  In fact today, during my first few flights, the gimbal didn't "swing" horizontally at all when I banked the quad.  It corrected itself after a few shutdowns and take offs, but was a definite issue during the first few flights today.  I'll have to try the fix idea above.  
2015-6-25
Use props
marceloeng
New
Flight distance : 428904 ft
United States

So I thought I was the only one with the issue! Now I find everyone is experiencing the same. We spent so much $$$ for this to happen to us all. I am a P3P user.
2015-7-8
Use props
brycerichert
lvl.3
United States

marceloeng Posted at 2015-7-8 16:22
So I thought I was the only one with the issue! Now I find everyone is experiencing the same. We spe ...

I have this same issue. I need to adjust between 1.2 and 1.8 degrees left at every start up. They tell me to do the 1.2.6 update on the professional  but I'm afraid of what else the update does to me or how south it might all go with no DJI support to roll back updates.
2015-7-8
Use props
skoday
lvl.1

United States

I have the same issue as well
2015-7-9
Use props
ja.tavara
lvl.1

Peru

I have the same issue. From bottom left to top it. I will test IMU calibration next week.
2015-7-10
Use props
dlongcamp
lvl.4
Flight distance : 755988 ft
  • >>>
United States

ja.tavara Posted at 2015-7-11 09:05
I have the same issue. From bottom left to top it. I will test IMU calibration next week.

try a gimble calibration while its in the air on a calm day with little wind.  That has worked for some.  
2015-7-14
Use props
dewulf.harry
lvl.1
Flight distance : 86348 ft
France

my "horizon" isn't level on my p3 , i use adjust gimbal roll to fix it, only problem is that it doesn't save it for future flights
2015-7-15
Use props
princetonking
lvl.1

United States

Woah...are you all saying your gimbal is slightly tilted? SO IS MINE!

I thought its because my Phantom fell about 2 feet...and I fked it up...but guess not!
2015-8-6
Use props
princetonking
lvl.1

United States

BUMP!PPPPPPPPPPPPPPP
2015-8-6
Use props
webjockey503
lvl.1
Flight distance : 97480 ft
United States

My Phantom 3 Pro sometimes starts tilted and at others ends up tilted.  I've even noticed how it can get level on its own too.  Nothing seems to be consistent.  Very frustrating!  When it starts tilted, I've been able to correct that by power cycling the Phantom so its camera does it's twist and turn bit.

Some folks here have talked about performing an IMU calibration.  Mine asks for this more frequently than seems reasonable.  Could this have something to do with it?

Later in flight - somewhat corrected - tilted a little clockwise.jpg
Start of flight - tilted counter clockwise.jpg
2015-8-12
Use props
Patinito
lvl.2

United States

webjockey503 Posted at 2015-8-13 06:45
My Phantom 3 Pro sometimes starts tilted and at others ends up tilted.  I've even noticed how it can ...

Same tilt issue after update to 1.3.20. Performed 2 cold IMU and gimbal calibrations. Video below. Question, when setting up prior to launch does the gimbal perform a gimbal calibration on startup? Hoping its just because it's on the ground that is not 100% level.

2015-8-12
Use props
leonidasyopan
New
Flight distance : 146296 ft
Brazil

Has anyone tried to cheat the camera? Instead of doing a Camera (not IMU) calibration with a leveled surface do it with the degrees your camera is off corrected. I haven't but I am thinking of trying.
2015-8-13
Use props
UKPhantom 3
New

United Kingdom

leonidasyopan Posted at 2015-8-13 18:51
Has anyone tried to cheat the camera? Instead of doing a Camera (not IMU) calibration with a leveled ...

I've had my Phantom about 2 weeks now, and experienced tilted horizon on its first flights. Did the normal IMU re-calibration process. Now realise that the horizon tilts when I pan/yaw the Phantom, it is fine when I am flying straight and level. Not good for those panning 360deg shots, have to pan VERY slowly or correct it in flight. I am hoping DJI fix it in a firmware update at some time.
2015-8-17
Use props
ssellars
New

United States

When I first started using my P3 I noticed the same tilt problem as most others have mentioned here in this forum. It was not my 1st priority to correct it as I was still learning more important things about piloting my drone.

Then I had a crash and the gimbal took a beating. I noticed some separation between the tilt motor and its base. I gently squeezed it back together by hand and all seemed well at first. However the tilt was not leveling out and it was much worse than in the original problem. I tried all of the fixes suggested here and I did not get any lasting results. Everything would return to it's bad tilt after each shut down and battery change out.

After gathering my courage I opened up the back cover on the tilt motor's support base. This exposed the circuit board with the controller's electronic sensor in the middle. At the very center is the motor's drive shaft. The shaft's end with a machined alignment flat on the end can be seen nested in the black electronic sensor. Now gently pull the circuit board away from it's base and the drive shaft will slip out of the back of the sensor and circuit board, remaining attached to the motor's amature. This leaves the shaft traveling through motor's amature and on into the outside mounting plate of the front side. Here the shaft is "press" fit into the front face plate. This is where my "separation" had occured. If you were to have total separation here, as in the camera is dangleing off it's mount, you might have suffered damage to the ribbon wire requiring it's replacement. Thats another project.

During my initial re-assembly, this is where my tilt problem occured. If the shaft, with it's machined flat, is not pressed into the front face plate in perfect alignment (the front face plate is ultimately connected to the camera thus controlling the camera's tilt) the the camera will be locked into a permanent tilt.

To correct the tilt, assemble the amature's drive shaft into the front face plate. It requires a gentle press fit. I used a pair of small, precise channels locks. Do not damage the ends of the drive shaft or the face plate! The end of the shaft will end up even with the outside face of the front face plate. Up to this point I have ignored the shaft/face plate axial alignment.

To adjust the tilt now requires a level surface, a good eye, and some trial and error. View the camera from the back so you can see both the drive shaft's machined flat and the tilt position of the camera at the same time. Using a soft touch and your pliers, align the drive shaft's flat with the levelness of the camera body. I believe the flat faces down. Now assemble the circuit board onto the shaft by aligning the shaft's flat with the circuit boards sensor. Seat the circuit board back into the base and replace the back cover and screws.

Power up your Phantom and let the camera power up. When it's finished, check the camera to see if it is level with the level surface you are working on. If not, disassemble the gimbal back to the point which you can realign the camera to the drive shaft. This adjustment may require an extremly soft touch. I went through 6 tries before I was satisfied. Keep checking that the drive shaft does not start to slip out of the press fit in the face plate during your adjustments.

2015-9-26
Use props
ssellars
New

United States

ssellars Posted at 2015-9-27 09:07
When I first started using my P3 I noticed the same tilt problem as most others have mentioned here  ...

To clarify; in the alignment process the shaft is being twisted within the press fit between the shaft and the front face plate.
2015-9-26
Use props
greg copeland
New

South Africa

on my P3 pro shortcut to level horizon
hold C1 and C2, turn right thumbwheel
2015-11-3
Use props
k.kavelaars
lvl.2

Netherlands

You can adjust the tilt problem in de gimball settings and than it will stay away
2015-11-3
Use props
antonio.talaric
New

United States

k.kavelaars@qui Posted at 2015-11-3 06:25
You can adjust the tilt problem in de gimball settings and than it will stay away

Could you please explain me how? Thank you
2015-11-25
Use props
The Drone Wande
New

United States

antonio.talaric Posted at 2015-11-25 17:15
Could you please explain me how? Thank you

Under "Gimbal Param Settings" in the latest DJI Go App there is a option to "Adjust Gimbal Roll".
It lets you adjust the camera roll in 0.2 degree increments.
If you don't see it, you might need to update to the latest firmware.
2015-12-4
Use props
f33dback
lvl.2
  • >>>
Canada

Old post but here's what I did.
First, I don't put it in the fridge just the fact someone mentions "condensation" on the camera tells you that's going with the electronics too.
water + electronics = dismay

1: Level surface,  turn it all on, controller and drone.
2: Turn on grid for camera (you will see grid lines in your camera view) these are too help orient you.
3: Do IMU calibration.
4: When it's done go to gimbal roll adjust (because IMU calibration alone does not fix it) adjust the gimbal roll so that the grid lines in your camera are horizontal and match something level in the view.
5: Do gimbal calibration.
6: Done, at least for me, the camera now stays level.

Your mileage may vary, but keep at it and you will find that one of the combinations of things here will fix it.
2016-2-6
Use props
MrWho
lvl.2

Denmark

I too have problems with a titled horizon on my Phantom 3 Advanced. (Uphill from left to right). It also seems like the camera is not pointing straight either.
If you put something dead center in your viewfinder, hand press forward only on the controller, the object you centered on will always pass the drone on the right.
It seems like the camera is pointing slightly to the left of center/forward of the drones shell and orientation.
No calibration has been able to fix the problems.
The Phantom itself however, is a delight to fly.
2016-2-20
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

MrWho Posted at 2016-2-21 08:34
I too have problems with a titled horizon on my Phantom 3 Advanced. (Uphill from left to right). It  ...

The camera is attached to the gimbal unit and secured by a small set screw. It is possible to loosen the screw and rotate the camera assembly slightly to correct this condition.
2016-2-20
Use props
MrWho
lvl.2

Denmark

Geebax Posted at 2016-2-20 23:20
The camera is attached to the gimbal unit and secured by a small set screw. It is possible to loos ...

Your explanation seems possible.
The gimbal where hanging freely in the package when I've got my Phantom (yes, I have removed the piece of foame). I guess the shipping where rough since the piece of plastic that secures the camera where fallen of. It is possible that the gimbal might have loosened a bit.

However on the viewfinder, I've sort of noticed that the gimbal/camera will drift/sailing slowly to the side while the drone is stationary inside. It's doing it slowly, but it's noticeable and it always return to where it started. The side it drifts to is the same side as the camera is permanently pointing of center to.
2016-2-20
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

MrWho Posted at 2016-2-21 11:03
Your explanation seems possible.
The gimbal where hanging freely in the package when I've got my Ph ...

In that case performing an IMU then compass calibration should get it straight again.
2016-2-20
Use props
MrWho
lvl.2

Denmark

Geebax Posted at 2016-2-21 01:41
In that case performing an IMU then compass calibration should get it straight again.

As I said, No calibration have fixed any of the issues I have. Not even a IMU calibration, followed by a gimbal calibration.
2016-2-20
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

MrWho Posted at 2016-2-21 11:46
As I said, No calibration have fixed any of the issues I have. Not even a IMU calibration, followe ...

So, let me get this straight. If you power up the aircraft sitting on a bench, without running the motors, the camera slowly swings to one side then returns to the centre again?
2016-2-20
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules