Inspire 1 Fail Prop flew off 5-13-15
3691 10 2015-5-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
oceanbrobert
New

United States

I just wanted to share my experience with my Inspire 1 for anyone looking to buy one. It is only supposed to do 2 things, fly and do photography. Not the case with mine. I was flying along Sunset Cliffs in San Diego. I was in GPS mode(safest easiest setting) when one of the propellers came off. I was unable to regain control of the craft. All I could do is watch it spiral into the ocean. I did call the hotline the day it happened but I haven't heard anything back. All I can do is hope they will help out but still no word. I have already spent more time trying to get help with my issue than I have flying the Inspire 1. I have been depressed for days trying to get a hold of someone for answers. It's supposed to be a 24 hour Customer Service. From what I was told that is down(broken) too. I believe it because it has been almost a week and all I have heard is an apology.  I am looking to get some answers today hopefully. For now I am going to post my story on every forum I find until DJI takes responsibility.
What really makes me mad is I sold a perfectly good 3d robotics iris+ to help buy my own birthday present (Inspire 1). Now this 3000 dollar machine is at the bottom fo the Pacific Ocean and DJI wont even give me a curtesy call back. The only reason I had a 3d Robotics was because I had a Phantom 2 try and fly away with my go pro. Right now I just wish I had my money back and have kept my iris+. Reviews compared the inspire to a Ferarri. I have never seen the wheels fall off a Ferarri and they don't make Ferarris in China.

:@
2015-5-18
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

Sorry to hear about your loss ...

If a propeller comes off it´s kinda "game over" no matter what mode you are flying in ...

What kind of propellers where you using ... the old "with propeller locks" or the new ones?
2015-5-18
Use props
bmancan.sympati
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2085810 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Sorry to hear about the loss.
Which props were you using (self tightening or quick release)?  If self tightening, did you have the prop locks installed to prevent the prop  from loosening?
2015-5-18
Use props
sbarryjackson
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18931532 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes...please share which props you are using. I am still using the prop locks, I do not trust the quick release props at all.
The sad thing is, with prop locks, there is minimal chance of this ever happening, with the quick release props, they can blame you all day long.
DJI is a joke.
2015-5-18
Use props
foxpop
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

sbarryjackson@s Posted at 2015-5-19 08:55
Yes...please share which props you are using. I am still using the prop locks, I do not trust the qu ...

I had a prop come off my Inspire in flight coincidentally first flight after firmware upgrade.  DJI insinuated that I was flying in excessive wind (15 gust 20)k.  Since the aircraft was only ten feet in the air in a hover I am inclined to disagree.  Sent back for repair.  I got a notice that it was received but would not be examined for some weeks.
2015-5-18
Use props
michaelanthony.
lvl.2

United States

I too am dubious of the quick release props. I see no reason to switch from the self tightened ones with prop locks, it seems like a fool proof design to me. I see it as a necessary step to ensure I've done my pre-flight due diligence, one of many necessary steps that is.

I am eager to hear what type of prop, but I am truly disheartened for your loss.
2015-5-18
Use props
DJI-Autumn
lvl.4

Hong Kong

Truly sorry for that...
Can you export the flight log now? I'll get my LA collegue reach you as soon as possible.
2015-5-19
Use props
KnightOwl
lvl.3

United States

michaelanthony. Posted at 2015-5-19 12:09
I too am dubious of the quick release props. I see no reason to switch from the self tightened ones  ...

Just yesterday as I was conducting my pre-flight checks when a bystander started talking to me as I was securing the QR props.  I remember giving all four the 1/4 turn to lock but low and behold once I finished the entire checklist and powered up (I tend to let her idle for a few secs then I'll typically hover at 6ft or so for a few more secs) a prop from one of the rear engines flew right off.  I'll take full responsibility because I wasn't 100% focused but the main lesson for me is that you have to be certain the locking mechanism is fully engaged (just turning the QR props is not enough).  If I had been a hotdog and given her some generous throttle at lift off  I'd be writing on this forum how my bird dropped from the sky just after lift-off.  Man do I miss the prop locks....
2015-5-20
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

What props were you using?  Were they the quick release or the self-tightening, if the self-tightening were prop locks installed?  I will send you an email with my contact information.
2015-5-26
Use props
rwt0227
lvl.2

United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-5-27 10:27
What props were you using?  Were they the quick release or the self-tightening, if the self-tighteni ...

How the hell does this guy post this warning/incident but FAIL to say which F'ing propellers he was using? Also, how the hell has he not responded to requests for said info for more than 6 DAYS!??!!
2015-5-26
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

rwt0227 Posted at 2015-5-27 11:56
How the hell does this guy post this warning/incident but FAIL to say which F'ing propellers he wa ...

I received an email from him and he stated he was using the self-tightening props with prop locks.  I am unsure how one prop could have flown off when secured with a prop lock, but we are going to look at his flight log from the App.
2015-5-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules