Prop guard binding motor on phantom 3.
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
whernst
lvl.1

United States

I installed the Summitlink quick disconnect prop guards so I could feel safer flying indoors.  After install, I noticed that one of the props had less lift and would stop spinning quicker than the others after powering the Phantom off.  Spinning the props by hand confirmed that one of the props had some sort of a bind while the guard was installed.  I lossened the screws on the prop and the full rotation returned.   
I was wondering has anyone else experienced this?  Maybe the replacement screws are too long and placing a bind on the motor?  Anyway, guess props weren't such a good idea after all..
2015-5-19
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

Yes.  The screws you are using are a bit too long.
2015-5-19
Use props
whernst
lvl.1

United States

Fulgerite Posted at 2015-5-20 00:56
Yes.  The screws you are using are a bit too long.

Well I used the ones that they sent with the props.. Any particular length you could suggest, or should I try a small washer.?   
2015-5-19
Use props
cascadeflyer
lvl.2

United States

May have just been over torqued. I have heard you can cause same issue with stock screw's and no guards.
2015-5-19
Use props
mike
First Officer
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

The P3 motors screws are bit shorter than the P2 motor screws.

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)
2015-5-19
Use props
earle
lvl.1
Flight distance : 410115 ft
United States

I spoke to a DJI online sales rep this morning and found out that the prop guards are actually not compatible with the Phantom 3 because they have found that the screws are too long and could potentially damage the motors. I mentioned that I ordered the prop guards with the hardshell backpack and he apologized and instructed me to file a return request once it arrives.
2015-5-19
Use props
jobes
lvl.2
Flight distance : 25446 ft
United States

If its just a correction of screw size does anyone have the proper size to use?
2015-5-20
Use props
ritcheypac
lvl.1

United States

I assume that everone received this - but a mass email this morning confirms that the previous guards are not compatible with the P3 and it has been recommended to stop using them immediately.
2015-5-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules