Bad Robot! Second Inspire 1 goes haywire
2083 12 2015-5-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
iamintricate
lvl.1

United States

After a bird clipped my I1 a few days ago, that I previously posted video about, I drove through Salt Lake City where it was originally purchased, and I picked up a new one. And it was a disaster the very first flight! Watch my attempt to narrate while freaking out that I'm immediately losing yet another, when it decides to frantically fly around on its own.

There has been a very noticeable difference in how this one flies vs my first I1, and no adjustment I've been able to make to controls have gotten it to where I'm used to it.

Given that DJi knows about flyaway issues, what does the warranty cover?
2015-5-19
Use props
justin.mah
lvl.2

Canada

Not sure if this may have affected it, since you seemed to be able to fly a second time without issue, but I couldn't help noticing that you were flying around a lot of power lines....
2015-5-19
Use props
howie121218
lvl.3

United States

very cool video, the fly away part is really get me so nervous..........
2015-5-19
Use props
SAFAERIALS
lvl.4
Flight distance : 93146 ft
Dominican Republic

It's weird what happend, but maybe the powerlines could have help that it went crazy
2015-5-19
Use props
iamintricate
lvl.1

United States

While I understand powerlines are known to cause issues, you can see in the very first clip, the second it lifted off, the shadow of the copter flails left. When I saw it in the sky, very far away from any powerlines, it was constantly leaning to one side, as if one propeller wasn't spinning as fast, or the balance was completely off. Getting it back was figuring out how to steer against the imbalance.

I'm going to go ahead and say it was not powerlines, especially because I ended up flying from the same spot the second time and it had zero issue.
2015-5-19
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

iamintricate@gm Posted at 2015-5-20 04:37
While I understand powerlines are known to cause issues, you can see in the very first clip, the sec ...

Did you try to initiate RTH?    Scary stuff, glad you were able to land!  
2015-5-19
Use props
whill11
lvl.2

United States

I had the same thing happen on Sunday but I was too low to let it run free.  So I tried to bring it down and ended up in a skid landing because it would not stop it's horizontal movement.  Unfortunately it wasn't in landing mode and it nearly ripped the gimbal off.  I remounted the gimbal and checked all the connections, but there is still an issue with receiving the signal.  No video on the iPad App and it reads No Signal.  The craft still responds to the remote and can record images, but I still can't fly the thing.  Going in for repair as soon as i get an RMA.
2015-5-19
Use props
gixxertaylor
lvl.1

United States

iamintricate@gm Posted at 2015-5-20 04:37
While I understand powerlines are known to cause issues, you can see in the very first clip, the sec ...

Is DJI going to cover this? No invoice I mean?
2015-5-19
Use props
caddwizard
lvl.2
Flight distance : 453788780 ft
Australia

Switching to ATTI may have helped gain control back.
2015-5-20
Use props
Acidsnow
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13 ft
Canada

I'm glad you didn't loose it, thank you for sharing, your videos are nicely put together and a pleasure to watch.
2015-5-20
Use props
HFI
lvl.4
Flight distance : 904990 ft
  • >>>
United States

I noticed that you flying in mode 1 on the TX. Not sure it has anything to do with some of the problems some people are having with there I1s but it might be good to take a survey...
2015-5-20
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

The power lines were not the problem. I have flown RC aircraft and the Inspire all around Transmission lines with no effect whatsoever. That was most likely a bad calibration.
2015-5-21
Use props
iamintricate
lvl.1

United States

caddwizard Posted at 2015-5-20 19:46
Switching to ATTI may have helped gain control back.

Definitely tried the different modes and none seemed to work properly. I do think it was a compass issue.
2015-5-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules