DJI Phantom 2 GPS Disconnected (no Satellites)
2145978313 2145978313 2015-5-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
eggerjan
lvl.2

Italy

Hello!

I recentlyhad a crash with my Phantom 2 and had to exchange the gray 4 pin connector goinginto the Gimbal, like here:

I ordered anew connector and exchanged the broken one and now the SD Card Symbol isactivated again in the iPhone App from DJI (this was grayed out with the broken4 pin connector). Also the other symbols in the App are fine, e.g. Battery, etc.However, the GPS Symbol stays gray and the satellites are always zero (but Ican perform a compass calibration and also the Attitude and Speed values in theApp look reasonable). In addition to the gray GPS symbol, the App displaysat the top: GPS is disconnected. I thought maybe the GPS module is damaged andordered a new one and exchanged it, but it did not fix the issue. Also, when Iconnect the Phantom to the PC and start the DJI software, and switch to the tabupgrades, the GPS Hardware and Firmware is 0.0.0.0 (all other parts look fine,e.g. Main Controller, Receiver, Battery, etc.). Has anyone any advice for me,what I can check to fix the problem?

Best wishes,
Jan

2015-5-20
Use props
BazzaVMC
lvl.2

Australia

Have you tried an advanced calibration?

I was reading on another forum:
"This type of error is caused by the NAZA inside being subject to a crash or a shipping handle jarring - sudden G
The fix involves removing the NAZA from the Phantom ; disconnecting all wiring - apply a sharp G force to it (tapping it once briskly against a table top) - re-install and fly"

Other comment:
[size=14.6666669845581px]"The tapp need to by very positive - roll it on it side with the NAZA writing (text up) on the right - run your index finger along the top - then lift it to 200mm and strike it down very fast - (crack) - onto the desktop - just once"
2015-5-20
Use props
BazzaVMC
lvl.2

Australia

I hope this helps?
2015-5-20
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Are you sure you plugged the GPS antenna in to the right plug when you put the top back on?
2015-5-20
Use props
eggerjan
lvl.2

Italy

First of all, thanks for the fast replies here!

@BazzaVMC
I will remove the NAZA now and put it back to see if that fix the issue. I will post the result later…

@Gerry1124
Are there several plug options for the GPS module on the mainboard? I plugged it in at the side of the mainboard that is also the side where you move the battery into the Phantom. There is also written “GPS” on the mainboard at this position (next to the plug), same like here:

Best wishes,
Jan
2015-5-20
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

eggerjan@yahoo. Posted at 2015-5-21 14:55
First of all, thanks for the fast replies here!

@BazzaVMC

You got the right place.
2015-5-20
Use props
roy
Second Officer

United States

With the assistant showing the GPS firmware at 0.0.0.0 it is not communicating with it. If you tried a second module and you have the same result then this problem is most likely in the NAza module or the main board. Naza would be my first look see. Good luck and let us know what you find.
2015-5-21
Use props
eggerjan
lvl.2

Italy

Dear all,

Thanks again for all the feedback and suggestions!
I removed the NAZA and tapped it once briskly against a table and put it back in (I made step-by-step photos of every cable I removed from the NAZA module and double checked with a YouTube-Video to make sure the NAZA module is correct connected again). Unfortunately, that did not fix the issue. In addition, I performed a calibration but not yet the advanced calibration. Also someone else suggested me to reset everything (whatever that means). However, before I continue with the advanced calibration and the resetting I would like to ask if someone can take a look at the fixed gray 4 pin connection and if it is correct. For me it is not 100% clear after reading this previous post how the four cables are ordered (because I read and saw several posts about a broken gray 4 pin connector it might also be helpful for other people):
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=1693

I try to post here a photo how I connected the 4 cables. I would need to know if there is any “crossing” among the 4 cables going into the 4 pin connector housing. As you hopefully can see in the photo, the first gray cable wire is connected with a brown, second with the red, third with the next brown and fourth gray with yellow. If there is no crossing amongst the cables, there would be only one more option to connect them (just revered):
1. gray -> yellow
2. gray -> brown
3. gray -> red
4. gray -> next brown

Could someone check if I am right and if there is no “crossing” among the 4 cables?

Best wishes,
Jan

2015-5-21
Use props
eggerjan
lvl.2

Italy

Dear Roy,

Yes, I also have the feeling it’s the Naza module or the Main Board (what else is left^^). I removed the Naza module twice and put it back in again (it looks good to me, at least from the outside). The Main Board looks also fine for me, but it’s also impossible for me tell if there is anything wrong/broken (but I will post later a photo from the Main Board, maybe someone sees something).
Any suggestions what I can do or look for at the Naza module or the Main Board?

Best wishes,
Jan
2015-5-26
Use props
mateuszstokowie
lvl.1

Poland

Hi!

Did you repair this? I have the same problem Hardware and software stil 0.0.0.0. But when i plug the GPS directly to the Phantom FC i see correct the GPS hardware and software but the compass dont work.
Try it in your Phantom. I try the GPS in my second phantom and its work corectly
2015-6-2
Use props
roy
Second Officer

United States

Jan, why are you splicing the cable to another connector? Is that the GPS cable?
2015-6-2
Use props
eggerjan
lvl.2

Belgium

Dear all,
I ordered a new NAZA module, but it did not arrive yet…

@mateuszstokowie
Thanks for you suggesting! I am right now on a business trip, but I will try this next week when I am back home and report the result here.

@roy
My 4 pin connector housing broke after a crash, like here (please see first photo):
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=1693

So I ordered this replacement:
http://www.amazon.de/DJI-Origina ... undle/dp/B00KYR0FUO

I am not 100% sure if this cable does not affect also the GPS connection, that’s why I wanted to double check the exact wire order. But I found out that this cable definitely affects the Battery Symbol and the Attitude and Speed values in the App. These look fine if I connect the single wires like shown in my last photo. If I connect the single wires another way or disconnect them, the Battery Symbol is gray in the App and Attitude and Speed values are N/A.

However, I wait now for the new NAZA module and will replace it, to see if this is maybe broken. And I will plug the GPS directly to the Phantom FC…

Thanks again for your replies and suggestions!

Best wishes,
Jan
2015-6-2
Use props
acenothing
lvl.4
Flight distance : 112185 ft
United States

I just solved this problem too, with help from people on here.  Connect to computer and run phantom assistant.  Go to IMU  calibration, regardless of it telling you the the calibration is not needed, run advance.  I actually got an error the first time but let it run through.  Run it again, should be no errors.

Try it now.  Hope this helps
2015-6-2
Use props
StoQ
lvl.1

Poland

that solve problem with no GPS hardware and software number?

edit. not work for me. Still the same problem ;(
2015-6-2
Use props
eggerjan
lvl.2

Luxembourg

Dear Acenothing,

I tried this already, form me it did not solve the problem

Best wishes,
Jan
2015-6-3
Use props
roy
Second Officer

United States

Jan the connector cable is a flat cable and all are straight threw. Your look correct. I didn't see any crossings in the leads.
2015-6-3
Use props
eggerjan
lvl.2

Belgium

Dear Roy,

Thanks a lot for checking that!!
Still waiting for the new NAZA module to arrive…

Best wishes,
Jan
2015-6-4
Use props
Humberto
New

Mexico

Hi Jan, I have the same problem and I could not figure it out, but the phantom even fly because it indicates GPS disconnected.
A few nights ago I opened it and I was disconnecting and connecting some cables, I turned on and worked all right, turned the rotors and shows connection with GPS, but not flown, but was glad and went to sleep, when I got up and try flying, found no satellite signal again, but worked the rotors, I went to open it to move the same cables, I went to turn it on and was like as when I started, indicates GPS disconnected and not start the rotors. and I have not been able to make it work.
I have another phantom but without camera, I would take the naza module and try the other but do not know how, could you tell me with the photos you took or wich youtube video see? because I have not found.

Thanks,
Humberto

Note: sorry because I don't know the english language like I want, and its possible that I have errors
2015-6-7
Use props
eggerjan
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Hi Humberto,

Unfortunately, I don’t find the YouTube video anymore… However, I just unplugged cable by cable and made a photo with my smartphone every time I disconnected one. Later I just went through the photos in reverse order and connected the cables again. That worked fine for me. The Naza module was glued to the mainboard, so I needed a slotted screw driver and some force to get it off the main board. Hope that helps!

Best wishes,
Jan
2015-6-7
Use props
eggerjan
lvl.2

China

Dear all,

I am still in China, but the NAZA module seems to have arrived at home in Austria. So next week when I am back, I can replace it and will post if it fixed the issue…

Best,
Jan
2015-6-26
Use props
eggerjan
lvl.2

Hong Kong

Dear all,

I am still in China, but the NAZA module seems to have arrived at home in Austria. So next week when I am back, I can replace it and will post if it fixed the issue…

Best,
Jan
2015-6-27
Use props
etirado
lvl.1

Puerto Rico

Right now Im having this issue with a P2 v+ from a client. I already tested a new GPS module. Now I will try the Compass to see if the problem persist. Any suggestion?
2015-6-28
Use props
Jason WAI
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3136201 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

The GPS antenna may be broken after crash......
2015-6-28
Use props
eggerjan
lvl.2

Austria

Hi Jason,

I also tested a new GPS module which did not fix the issue. But what you mean by GPS antenna (is that not included in the GPS module)?

BW
Jan
2015-6-29
Use props
eggerjan
lvl.2

Austria

I finally exchanged the NAZA module, but it did not fix the problem… so, still showing zero satellites in the iPhone app (grayed out) and still showing the GPS firmware at 0.0.0.0 under the DJI Assistant software on the PC…
2015-7-25
Use props
eggerjan
lvl.2

Austria

@mateuszstokowie
As you suggested, I plugged the GPS directly to the Phantom FC (Naza module) and you are right, then it shows the GPS Hardware (6.1.1.2) and Firmware (6.0.1.4) under the DJI Assistant software on the PC!
But what does it mean, is the mainboard broken then? Can I fly with this direct connection?

Best,
Jan
2015-7-25
Use props
frosty3907
lvl.1

Australia

What pins did you connect the gps to on the naza?  I'd like to try this too as I also have gps 0.0.0.0
2015-7-31
Use props
eggerjan
lvl.2

Austria

@frosty3907
Here a photo (but in the iPhone app it’s still showing zero satellites, so I cannot fly with this direct connection):

2015-8-1
Use props
quanthonytrang
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Um ok..
Can you plug the GPS back into the main board. Turn on phantom and try to start the motors.
If the motors spin, this means your GPS is working and detected. It is known that the motors will not fire up if NO GPS is plugged in.
If the motors spin, then check the GPS antenna puck and make sure its not cracked. Even a small crack will compromise GPS reception.
I still suspect you have messed your wires and there fore the count status is NOT showing in the app. Check the wiring again and triple check that they are seated firmly.
2015-8-2
Use props
eggerjan
lvl.2

Austria

@quanthonytrang
In between I always tried to start the motors but they never spun. Instead it blinks several times red. But calibrating works fine.
Maybe it’s the mainboard. If I plug the GPS direct into the NAZA module I can read out the firmware, if I plug the GPS into the mainboard it shows 0.0.0.0
2015-8-2
Use props
frosty3907
lvl.1

Australia

Hmmm, plugging in there doesn't change the 0.0.0.0 for me but also gets an abnormal compass data message and additionally I've lost the P330CB and Battery in the Upgrade tab when connected like that.
My case is a bit different I suspect since I've actually tried replacing the GPS chip on the Phantom 2 GPS board with another UBLOX Neo IC since I had assumed that the GPS was at fault.

It's now looking like I might have been a bit hasty if replacing the whole GPS board didn't change the situation of the 0.0.0.0 for you... I've probably ruined a perfectly good GPS board.

nuts.
also @ eggerjan: it might be worth tracing where the connection goes from the PCB to the NAZA since it seems the fault lies between those two places in your case?

I'll update if I find anything but I'm starting to lose hope.
2015-8-2
Use props
eggerjan
lvl.2

Austria

@frosty3907
I will try to check the connections from PCB to the NAZA, but I guess I have to bring the drone to some experts then. Or I try to exchange the whole mainboard, it seems not so expensive…
2015-8-2
Use props
frosty3907
lvl.1

Australia

@eggerjan: I just had a quick look and there is no dirrect connection from the naza EXP connections to the GPS header (other than ground obviously) so I'll maybe take the whole thing apart later and see if I can trace where exactly the GPS header goes to.. I think it's probably too late for my phantom due to my overly eager blame on the GPS module and replacing the UBLOX chip but we should be able to work your one out.
So you now have two (presumably) working GPS pucks? Care to sell one?

Cheers
2015-8-4
Use props
eggerjan
lvl.2

Austria

@frosty3907
I am not sure if it’s worth it to send the GPS module all the way from Austria to Australia^^ It seems also be cheaper in Australia…
2015-8-5
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

Several months and you still have not resolved this?

You tried....

1). IMU recalibration (several times)
2). Replace Naza
3). Replace GPS module

You have re-checked the connectors several tims to ensure everything is connected properly?

Is this correct?

Is there anything else you tried that  I missed?
2015-8-8
Use props
eggerjan
lvl.2

Austria

@Cessna172
Yes, this sums it pretty much up^^ And I found out this:
"If I plug the GPS direct into the NAZA module I can read out the firmware, if I plug the GPS into the mainboard it shows 0.0.0.0"
2015-8-8
Use props
eggerjan
lvl.2

Austria

same here (but no solution so far):
http://www.phantompilots.com/thr ... rand-new-one.43971/

P.s.: The hard reset video from post #8 is useless in my case, because 1. I tried a brand new Naza module and 2. at minute 5:12 it shows for him still the Hardware and Firmware for the GPS

2015-8-8
Use props
eggerjan
lvl.2

Austria

Same here (in German). Several people had the problem, all exchanged their drone to a new one:
http://www.kopterforum.de/topic/10319-vision-plus-gps-defekt/
2015-8-9
Use props
eggerjan
lvl.2

Germany

Dear all,

So, the drone is now at DJI and the PCB is broken (and has to be exchanged).

Best wishes,
Jan
2015-9-24
Use props
eggerjan
lvl.2

China

So, the drone is back from DJI and working again. It cost about 100 Euro to fix it, but it was done directly here at DJI in China…
2015-10-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules