DJI, man up & fix the crooked gimbal issue.
11941 38 2015-5-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mr. Clear
lvl.2
Flight distance : 232566 ft
United States

The crooked horizon issue is pervasive and can no longer be ignored by DJI. Let's see a bug fix ASAP.
2015-5-23
Use props
paul
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1276532 ft
  • >>>
United States

agreed, please fix!
2015-5-23
Use props
droneflyers.com
lvl.4
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

Have you tried the fixes which have been mentioned?http://www.droneflyers.com/talk/ ... ixes.969/#post-3011

2015-5-23
Use props
Total
lvl.4
Flight distance : 336480 ft
Canada

Or this from this forum  HERE
2015-5-23
Use props
gil
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

To borrow a phrase, there's an app for that (already):
GimbalRollAdjust_screens.png
2015-5-23
Use props
julius717
lvl.2
Flight distance : 939951 ft
United States

gil Posted at 2015-5-24 13:46

the point is its a issue that needs to be addressed.  gimball roll is a bandaide.   p2v+ didn't have that issue so why should this one?
2015-5-23
Use props
Mr. Clear
lvl.2
United States

Tried it all more than once and it still tilts. Let's face it people, it's a Bug. Get on it, DJI !
2015-5-24
Use props
edbighi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 47455053 ft
  • >>>
Austria

Mr. Clear Posted at 2015-5-25 01:48
Tried it all more than once and it still tilts. Let's face it people, it's a Bug. Get on it, DJI !

It's a bug.
2015-5-24
Use props
digitaldave
lvl.2
Flight distance : 752917 ft
United States

Mr. Clear Posted at 2015-5-25 01:48

My gimbal was crooked at first as well. I did a gimbal calibration on a leveled work bench and it cleared up. But if it didn't I would be pretty mad too.

Question, the gimbal roll thing in the App, is that adjustment permanent or does it reset every time you relaunch the bird. Because if that is the case, it isn't really a fix either.
2015-5-24
Use props
DJI-Autumn
lvl.4

Hong Kong

You can try the method below:
1)  Plug out the battery and wait for 30 minutes to cool it down.
2)  Put the aircraft on a horizontal surface (need to be completely level, very important), calibrate IMU after powering on the aircraft immediately.
3)  Calibrate Gimbal after IMU calibration.
2015-5-24
Use props
Mr. Clear
lvl.2
United States

Done that more than once. Then it happens again. It's a Bug that is quite common on the P3 and needs to be addressed by DJI.
2015-5-26
Use props
lebed73
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2922999 ft
  • >>>
Germany

digitaldave Posted at 2015-5-25 06:54
My gimbal was crooked at first as well. I did a gimbal calibration on a leveled work bench and it  ...

Same thing.
it crooked around 1-3 degree,
gimbal adjustment is not permanent.
issue for DJI.
2015-5-26
Use props
Paniza
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1411801 ft
Canada

After updating to the lasted .9 firmware, IMU calibration (twice) and gimbal calibration, my issue is gone.

At least I haven't noticed on the past 2 flights.
2015-5-26
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

This has been reported to DJI several times.  They are aware and will address the issue.
2015-5-26
Use props
paul
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1276532 ft
  • >>>
United States

The gimbal roll adjustment only works for a short amount of time. It seems that once you start yawing, the gimbal re-acquires that drunken tilt. I have calibrated the IMU and gimbal many times, but it's still a problem, so until the official fix, i will fix it post-processing. I use Pinnacle Studio Ultimate. In there, i enter the effects menu for the clip, then rotate the video -3 degrees. Then, to cover the newly vacant corners, i scale the video in both axes to 113 percent. That fixes it for me! I actually created a preset for this, and can achieve this in two or 3 clicks now.
2015-5-26
Use props
bebbi
lvl.2

Monaco

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-5-27 02:48
This has been reported to DJI several times.  They are aware and will address the issue.

Hi,

would be respectful to the customers who have spend serious cash, if DJI publishes the list of known issues, so ye can avoid a couple of threads here.

Regards
2015-5-26
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

I calibrated my IMU and then performed the automatic gimbal calibration.  Now it's fixed.  (Level now.)  However it does tend to drift over time.  So I have to auto cal frequently.
2015-5-26
Use props
shayd93
lvl.3
Flight distance : 247306 ft
  • >>>
United States

gil Posted at 2015-5-24 13:46

That option is GONE for the latest Android release which pissed me off beyond limits.
2015-5-26
Use props
gil
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

shayd93@gmail.c Posted at 2015-5-27 09:16
That option is GONE for the latest Android release which pissed me off beyond limits.

Gone?!? What are you talking about?  I did that screen capture AFTER the v1.1.9 firmware release and I'm using a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 with Android 4.4
2015-5-27
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Have you tried doing a cold calibration of the IMU.  Remove the battery and stick it in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.  Immediately do a IMU calibration on a level, the more level the better, and then follow with a compass calibration.  Several users have found this to cure the horizon issue.  
2015-5-27
Use props
1337brian
lvl.1

United States

Done all the recommend fixes and still have the tilted horizon. I have around 2 hours of beach footage and the horizon isn't level in any of it. Done IMU more than once (in fact was getting errors out there) and calibrated gimbal many times. Luckily it's a fairly easy fix in post for me, but not everyone has that ability. I've flown more than 30 miles with the phantom 3 and don't really have any complaints other than this.
2015-5-27
Use props
mark97564
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2067749 ft
United States

We first buyers are the beta testers, duh. If we didn't post here in this forum they wouldn't know about half the issues...  It's a new product so give it time to get ironed out. Now if there are big issues in 6 months to maybe a year then I think we have a gripe.
2015-5-27
Use props
digitaldave
lvl.2
Flight distance : 752917 ft
United States

Follow up FYI. Noticed today my Gimbal was crooked. Its has been about 8 flights since the last time I did a gimbal correction so it does seem to drift over time.
2015-5-27
Use props
Arct1C0n
New

United States

For $1300, I expect better then this.

2015-5-27
Use props
Arct1C0n
New

United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-5-28 02:40
Have you tried doing a cold calibration of the IMU.  Remove the battery and stick it in the refriger ...

You mean gimbal adjustment? Does this really work? won't cold temp damage the phantom?
2015-5-27
Use props
iSky Shots
lvl.2
United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-5-28 02:40
Have you tried doing a cold calibration of the IMU.  Remove the battery and stick it in the refriger ...

Really, Ed? Should I also shake salt behind the right props for good luck? With batteries, accessories and case, this a $2,000 investment that merits a far better solution for a factory defect than the one that you propose.
2015-5-27
Use props
fhagan02
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1854908 ft
United States

iSky Shots Posted at 2015-5-28 15:41
Really, Ed? Should I also shake salt behind the right props for good luck? With batteries, accessor ...

There is a fix to this if it's not remedied soon. Luckily, If you buy from a reputable dealer, you can just pack it up and send it back to them for a full refund....defective merchandise. No questions within 14 days. B&H even pays for the return shipping. We'll see after I receive my P3P tomorrow. I sure hope is doesn't come to that but man.... $1800 spent so far.
2015-5-28
Use props
kcmoore11
lvl.1

United States

Gimbal test

Gimbal test
2015-5-29
Use props
kcmoore11
lvl.1

United States

Finally was able to attach a pic (used Chrome...but certainly not easy).  As you can see the horizon is about as level as it can be.
2015-5-29
Use props
rivera_albert
lvl.3
Flight distance : 377966 ft
United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-5-27 02:48

I'm also having the issue with gimbal tilted, after imu and gimbal calibration, it comes back sometimes, my phantom 3 is only 2 weeks old no crashes or hard landing, I don't want to send it in and wait for several weeks and then find out that a new firmware can take care of it, so I need a little help to determine if I have other option, wait a bit for a fix or send it in.
Thank you
2015-6-3
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I would wait a bit.  DJI is trying to find a solution.  Understand that you can adjust the horizon in the App.  The only problem is that it will only hold for a single flight.  You have to reset it at the beginning of each flight.  It may be worth a try.
2015-6-4
Use props
desertstormarti
lvl.2
Flight distance : 710587 ft
United States

UGH!  So I'm not the only one.  I'm getting all the bugs... Ultrasonic System error, crooked horizon, and my  Phantom won't fly straight.
2015-6-23
Use props
BMWKante
lvl.2

Austria

desertstormarti Posted at 2015-6-24 03:19
UGH!  So I'm not the only one.  I'm getting all the bugs... Ultrasonic System error, crooked horizon ...

hope there will be a solution soon for this titlted horizon
2015-6-24
Use props
desertstormarti
lvl.2
Flight distance : 710587 ft
United States

BMWKante Posted at 2015-6-24 17:25
hope there will be a solution soon for this titlted horizon

Me too, BMW.  I know a guy in Wisconsin through Facebook that got his P3 not too long ago.  His gimbal takes crooked pictures as well.
2015-6-27
Use props
azhomecollectio
lvl.1

United States

Same issue here, even after flat surface calibration. I use the gimball roll but that is just a ban aide...def a bug. Obviously though crooked pictures are not that big of a problem because they can be fixed in post production but crooked video is a pain in the a$$.
2015-6-27
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

I think I can hold off a bit longer.  Hope they get all this straightened out.
2015-6-27
Use props
Arvasquez
New
Flight distance : 26637 ft
United States

digitaldave Posted at 2015-5-24 17:54
My gimbal was crooked at first as well. I did a gimbal calibration on a leveled work bench and it  ...

resets every time
2015-10-18
Use props
rick.rickdoyle
New

United States

MY PHANTOM 3 PRO had a tilted horizon right out of the box. I tried all the IMU calibrations numerous times on flat level surfaces. Still no luck.

So I returned it to Drone Fly LA wishing the 10 day period they gave for returns.

They took it up for a test flight however, they did the test in a mountainous area with no clear horizon line. They returned the drone telling me they could not replicate the problem. Gee I wonder why when you did the test with no clear horizon line. So I've been stuck with this Phantom 3 Pro crooked horizon line since I day one. I was considering upgrading to the Phantom 4 Pro but I see that the Phantom 4 Pro has the same gimbal issues and the Phantom 4 Pro has crooked tilted Horizon lines.

I'm going to hold off buying the Phantom 4 until they fix the tilted horizon. Video footage is useless with a tilted horizon. I've had to stop shooting the videos since it's a waste of time.

I just use the Phantom 3 Pro for stills and fix the tilted horizons in Post.

It's too bad since they are great little drones. You'd think DJI would have fixed the issues by now instead of denying there's a problem with the tilted horizon lines.  
Drone Fly LA and DJI both told me they's never heard of anybody experiencing a crooked horizon line other than me. I sent them still photos as proof along with You Tube links to others that are experiencing the tilted horizons. I told them to google it and they'd see all the customers like me that were having problems. As far as I know they are still denying any tilted horizon line issues.

You;d think they would have upgraded the gimbal on the Phantom 4 Pro to solve the problems.
2016-11-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules