Inspire drifting out of control.
2107 10 2015-5-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
arq.kamal
lvl.1

Mexico

I had many test flights before my first malfunction it all went well, untill one day as i was traveling shooting a t.v show i went out to test the drone
at the new location and test the extra controller and new battery, we had fairly stong winds around 15mph with some stronger gusts, i'm pretty sure i failed
to calibrate the compas since i was racing the sunset, i went up for the first flight went perfectly got some nice video of the sunset the inspire was managing the wind
flawlessly and i got confident, i then ran out of battery came in for a landing changed the battery and went up for flight number 2,, again i'm pretty sure i did not calibrate
the compas, to my suprise has soon as i took off the drone started drifting at full speed to the right on the pilot app it said i was going 20m/s!!! with no input what so ever
and the drone was not going down wind, i managed to keep the drone flying in circles around my area but i was very nervous and was not thinking to clearly... my precious new
bird was flying out of control at full speed.... there was a light house nearby. it crashed into the building and by a miracle the drone was barely damaged just some scraches on the
the gimbal and camera nothing serious at all, since i was in the middle of nowhere ( with no power lines or cell towers ) i decided to ground the aircraft, after many days of frustration
i decided to take a chance and fly it again this time i calibrated the compass every time, i was sure that was causing the drone to fly erraticly, ohh joy first flight went perfectly and i was flying in a oasis with thousands of trees the drone was working as i wanted it to, this time i never forgot to calibrate the compass i made a habit of doing it every time, so i thought that that was causing the drifting, my hope was restored and i thought i had a working drone,,, nope...
got up early in the morning to do some test flights they went perfectly once we had the set going with the production team it was my turn to get the shots,
took of did acouple of passes around the area and about 4 minutes into the flight the drone started drifting again this time it was not windy at all ( maybe 2mph) i managed to clear all the trees  it was drifting to the right, i finnaly got the drone to hover by pushing the stick to the oposide side to where it was drifting i got really luck and managed to land it safely,
i am very disapointed with the performance and do not know what to do.... anyone one out there with similar problems????
i have not tryed to do IMU calibration, i dont even know what that means it says nothing on it in the manual...
thanks and sorry for the bad english..
2015-5-23
Use props
akgldminer
lvl.1

United States

I have had many flights with the inspire one. Most go flawlessly, the bird acts like it's on rails and hardly moves.  I calibrate my compass every time before flight, and I've checked the IMU and nothing looks out of the ordinary.  However on certain flights, the bird will take off and then act like it has a mind of its own.  It is all you can do to barely control it as it pitches and yaws violently.  There is very little warning before the the bird takes off as it looks like a normal flight.  At all times I have safe for flight GPS on and I am seeing between 14 to 20 satellites.  Today was a very calm day, there was no winds and yet the drone still took off on me. When looking at the video footage the drone says that it was taken on 12 31 2013 for the video that the drone took when it freaked out.  It had correct time and dates for the nine other videos and eight pictures that were taken.  I am guessing that it is a GPS issue but be careful I am opening up a support ticket with DJI to see what they say.  At this point I am pretty scared to fly the drone as I don't have a clue when the problem will come.  I have barely gotten it back on the ground once this problem starts.
2015-5-23
Use props
arq.kamal
lvl.1

Mexico

akgldminer Posted at 2015-5-24 14:00
I have had many flights with the inspire one. Most go flawlessly, the bird acts like it's on rails a ...

i have noticed the same problem with the flight date it says december 31 2013 and i forgot to mention that the last flights did not record on to my memory card........
2015-5-23
Use props
aknauer
lvl.2
Flight distance : 793041 ft
New Zealand

The wrong flight date could indicate a problem with the GPS Almanac. GPS receivers rely on the Almanac, basically a table of GPS Satellite positions on any given date, to establish the satellites to lock onto and get a fix.
If they are looking at the wrong date, all subsequent information can't be correct either.
2015-5-23
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

Yes ... some correct info from DJI would be much appreciated on this matter ... As we are only second guessing on this forum so far ...

I believe that IMU calibration is more important than compass calibration, although both is important.
According to the manual you only need to do an IMU cal when you unbox your bird and after firmware updates.
It´s important to do the IMU cal on a flat surface ... I did mine on the living room table.
If your bird is "solid" no need to mess with new calibrations of the IMU.
(A new calibration could actually cause a problem if it is less successful then the previous one and it´s hard to find a perfectly flat surface on location.)

If you have a good compass calibration on the first flight there is no need to do a new calibration on the second flight on the same location ...

First thing to do when this (what you described) happens is to flick over to atti mode to see if it is the GPS that is causing this.  
Going in to atti mode should solve the problem if it is GPS related.

How ever ... I would be concerned about using my bird if it did this without having consulted DJI support about what to do with it.
Maybe it´s a defect (not software related).  

2015-5-24
Use props
arunmehta
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120909757 ft
  • >>>
Canada

ARC.Kamal wrote >>" i never forgot to calibrate the compass i made a habit of doing it every time, so i thought that that was causing the drifting, my hope was restored and i thought i had a working drone,,, nope..."

Dear arc.Kamal,
You dont need to calibrate compass or IMU each time!!
i know because of lack of communication from DJI earlier advice was NOT right!  
Each time you calibrate you maybe introducing the unique magnetic signature of the location !!

Looks like what happened to you (without knowing further details) is you lost the GPS connection. I bet you are NOT on the latest firmware!

arun mehta

PS  Many sensitive locations in US, Canada  and other countries have GPS scrambelling by local governments Remember you are borrowing the data that was originally meant for US MIlitary!

2015-5-24
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

arunmehta Posted at 2015-5-24 18:26
ARC.Kamal wrote >>" i never forgot to calibrate the compass i made a habit of doing it every time, s ...

Wow ...

"S  Many sensitive locations in US, Canada  and other countries have GPS scrambelling by local governments Remember you are borrowing the data that was originally meant for US MIlitary! "

I did not know this ...
That could explain why the bird behaves like this ... because if it was only loss of GPS signal it would automatically switch to atti mode.
A "scrambled" signal could be devastating for this type of equipment!

Wasn´t the GPS system invented by a Swedish guy? ...
2015-5-24
Use props
arunmehta
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120909757 ft
  • >>>
Canada

w1der Posted at 2015-5-24 18:55
Wow ...

"PS  Many sensitive locations in US, Canada  and other countries have GPS scrambelling b ...

"Wasn´t the GPS system invented by a Swedish guy? ... "

GPS was invented by Roger Easton an American who was working for US Navy!

http://techcrunch.com/2014/05/29 ... -of-gps-dies-at-93/
Vanguard Project was by US Navy  >>>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Vanguard
2015-5-24
Use props
arq.kamal
lvl.1

Mexico

w1der Posted at 2015-5-24 18:55
Wow ...

"PS  Many sensitive locations in US, Canada  and other countries have GPS scrambelling b ...

it happend in two different locations and both very remote parts of Mexico with no cell service, so i highly doubt its from signal scrambling unless there is some top secret military base i dont know about ( sarcasm) i think its from a defective hardware myself i still have not tried IMU calibration,  but why would it have a succefull flight and then not in the same day does not make any sence...  i did notice that the date was incorrect on the video files i dont know if it reads it of the drone or the mobile device conected to the controller.... i'm goin to try and send it back to the dealer hopefully get replaced..
2015-5-24
Use props
arq.kamal
lvl.1

Mexico

arunmehta Posted at 2015-5-24 18:26
ARC.Kamal wrote >>" i never forgot to calibrate the compass i made a habit of doing it every time, s ...

i am on current firmware... i have been reading it seems to be a very common problem this is very dangerous especially in the city..
2015-5-24
Use props
akgldminer
lvl.1

United States

Sent it into DJI and was surprised when I got the following email this morning:

Your Inspire has been inspected by the repair department. As a one time courtesy to expedite the repair process your craft has been replaced with a new unit. Any miscellaneous items like extra batteries, straps, SD cards or other personal items will be returned to you along with the new craft.
If you sent the unit without a transmitter please refer to pages 24-33 of the user manual for instructions on rebinding. Please update the firmware of the craft prior to flight. Any questions follow the link to the user manual.

Never said what was wrong, though!
2015-6-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules