Fixable - Glueable, tapeable, bendable or just Screwed?
4169 12 2015-5-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
club411
lvl.2
United States

Mine had a slight argument with a post and I have a openeing and bend in it.

2015-5-25
Use props
gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking.  Are you talking about a case that stores the Phantom or do you mean the plastic shell that houses all the components of the Phantom?

If it's the shell then your out of luck.  The closest thing to a repair parts is limited to the battery and props.  The Phantom 2 series shells are readily available but I'm not sure if the Phantom 3 uses that same shell.  

Maybe Tahoe_Ed has some insight if he's reading.
2015-5-26
Use props
club411
lvl.2
United States

gil Posted at 2015-5-26 18:22
I'm not sure I understand what you're asking.  Are you talking about a case that stores the Phantom  ...

Fixable - Glueable or just Screwed?

2015-5-26
Use props
jacmac64
lvl.3

United States

I would just bend it back into shape as mush as possible. I don't see anything that needs glued.

You don't want to glue the top arm to the bottom arm. If you ever need to open it, you wouldn't be able to.
2015-5-26
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

club411 Posted at 2015-5-26 21:01
Fixable - Glueable or just Screwed?

Ouch! That was a pretty hard smack.

By the time you strip the quad down to be able to straighten the plastic shell, your half way there on the replacement. No idea when replacement parts will be available.

Don't try this at home disclaimer:

I'd take the motor, the led light and speed controller out of that "wing". Then use a heat gun to soften up the plastic to see if I could reshape it. If you leave the motor and other components in place the heat might damage them beyond their design temperature and end up trashing your $1200 purchase.

Some of the quad sellers also do repairs. Contact them as they probably know if the Phantom 2 parts will fit. Since your asking the question on repairs, I take it that you don't have the skill set for the repair, so off to the professionals it goes.
2015-5-26
Use props
aroca1978
lvl.1
Flight distance : 639613 ft
Netherlands

Try to bend it back by applying some heat on it, maybe with a hair dryer. But be sure after that, motor keeps in its original position, otherwise it can't lead to problems. I had a similar accident with a P2 and although I was able to fly it again it was not until I replaced the shell that It started flying without any problems again.
2015-5-26
Use props
gil
Second Officer
United States

Well, there's ALWAYS duct tape...

Actually I've fixed a couple of Phantom that had a similar "pucker" in the shell with some very judicious use of a heat gun immediately after the impact to persuade it back into shape.  The top shell actually had a crack at the bend so it was replaced.  Has been flying fine since.

Now, as to whether or not a Phantom 2 shell will fit the Phantom 3.  Ahhhh... sorta.  I know a guy who took the top off his Phantom 3 to look around and I had the chance to take some photos and test fit the top part of the Phantom 2 shell to the bottom of the Phantom 3.  Yes, it will fit (with several disclaimers!)  Not all the screw locations align and the Phantom 2 shell does not have the new locking tabs that have been added to the Phantom 3 shell.  

I'm going through the photos now and I will post some of the significant differences and findings later.  Of course you would need to have a replacement Phantom 2 body and this would only be replacing the top portion of the shell to help brace damage to the bottom.  Please understand this would only be suggested as a workaround and the effectiveness of the repair is highly dependant on the how much damage there is in the lower portion of the airframe.

Standard disclaimers about voiding your warranty, taken at your own risk, yada, yada, yada...
2015-5-27
Use props
bactrimforte
lvl.2

Italy

"Standard disclaimers about voiding your warranty, taken at your own risk, yada, yada, yada..."
ROTFL
2015-5-27
Use props
solsystem7
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6550331 ft
  • >>>
United States

Inside Phantom 3, no separate speed controllers
2015-5-27
Use props
gil
Second Officer
United States

Edited some photos to try and show the differences between the Phantom 2 and Phantom 3 shells.  While the Phantom 2 shell was relatively easy to take apart the Phantom 3 has the addition of 12 locking tabs to deal with.
SUPPLIMENTAL INFO:  Thought it would be nice to include some of the locations where you can now get repair parts:  * http://extremeuas.com/products/phantom-3-parts/
  * https://www.rcdepothobbies.com/category_s/1820.htm

There are three of these locking tabs one each side.
P3_01-TopBottom-LockingTabs.jpg

The tabs located in the center between the arms are probably the most difficult to deal with.
P3_02-BottomShell-LockingTabs.jpg

This photo shows the changes in some of the screw locations, addition of the locking tabs as well as the difference between self tapping and machine screws.
P3_03-TopShellCompared.jpg

This oblique view shows the tabs a little better.
P3_04-TopBottom-LockingTabs.jpg

2015-5-27
Use props
club411
lvl.2
United States

I used a heat gun ( very carefully) and looks like I have it most back in place. I had some successful test flights yesterday. The red light is however not working. Is there a way to order a new one? I assume not.
2015-5-31
Use props
isaache
lvl.3
Spain

gil Posted at 2015-5-28 11:55
Edited some photos to try and show the differences between the Phantom 2 and Phantom 3 shells.  Whil ...

Thanks for the pictures and video, it comes really handy, hopefully we will see ofitial replacement parts from DJI sooner rather than latter...
2015-5-31
Use props
JtrJr-Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

gil Posted at 2015-5-28 11:55
Edited some photos to try and show the differences between the Phantom 2 and Phantom 3 shells.  Whil ...

Great info Gil! Thanks for gathering and sharing. I'm in no hurry to pull my P3 shell but it's nice to know what it looks like in there.

Jerry
2015-5-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules