Testing - Renaat ND filter kits, stock etc.
1577 13 2015-5-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
PureSQNut
lvl.4

United States

I took delivery on my backup sets of the Renaat ND filtersfor the I1 and wanted to do some comparisons on the different levels andquality of results between each filter. Let me first state that I am not aprofessional in any way and strictly a hobbyists so my methods of evaluatingmay be a bit odd vs that of a professional.

My tests include the following –

• Single setting daytime altitude test with all lenseswith same angle, time, altitude and physical position without change of any camera settings. Image optomized from stock ND4 filter.(Completed 5-26) (No postwork on images)

(Time of test 6:45pm, Sun was just out ofthe North West at about 10 o’clock from my position with an elevation of 24.24°with the I1 shooting to the south.
    Sunset on day of test at 8:15 at Azimuth 279.9° at an elevation of -.83°,  Golden hour was estimated at 6:46 p.m. – 7:46p.m.,)

• Single setting daytime altitude test with all lenseswith same angle, time, altitude and physical position without change of anycamera settings. Image optomized at best possible on ND16 filter to allow noticable images on the higher level filters. (No post work on images)
  • Variable setting test of each filters with samerespective physical position, altitude and image (snapshot) being shot howevermaking adjustments to shutter speed, exposure settings etc (all documented) toachieve the same settings on the histogram.
  • Variable setting test of each filters with similar respectivephysical flight pattern, altitude, etc (video) being shot however makingadjustments to shutter speed, exposure settings etc (all documented) to achievethe same settings on the histogram. (Right before golden hour so that a shot inthe direction of the sun is accomplished in the flight loop.

I had originally thought I was going to have some more timeto get a full comparison done on the Renaat ND filters over the Memorial Day weekendthat I purchased but even with the long weekend I found myself with very littleflight time.

I will finish the tests this weekend over the next couple ofdays including. After all I will post my opinions and personal findings afterALL of the tests are done this week and post each of the test updates on thisoriginal post.

NF Filter single setting comparison.jpg
2015-5-26
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

What were the ISO and shutter speed settings?
2015-5-26
Use props
PureSQNut
lvl.4

United States

PeteGould Posted at 2015-5-27 02:10
What were the ISO and shutter speed settings?

Sorry, forgot to include it in the stuff I brought to the office with me I have it written down at home on the test results notes.

Ill post that for this test as soon as I get home this evening.  

The next tests will have ISO, shutter speed and exposure documented individually for each lens

I will have test #2 results and possibly test #3 posted tomorrow.
2015-5-26
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

PureSQNut Posted at 2015-5-27 02:23
Sorry, forgot to include it in the stuff I brought to the office with me I have it written down at  ...

Also if you don't mind a suggestion - I would recommend setting ISO and shutter speed so that the image is significantly overexposed with the original DJI ND filter, thus allowing viewers to see more of the range of capabilities with the filters under test.  Then use that same ISO and shutter speed for all the other filters.  Once a filter takes the image effectively to black, there's nothing to evaluate.  We all know we can usually get a decent shot with the stock filter with a very low ISO and fast shutter speed, so shooting so the image is overexposed with that filter isn't a problem (we all know it works if set up properly).  Hope that makes sense.
2015-5-26
Use props
PureSQNut
lvl.4

United States

PeteGould Posted at 2015-5-27 02:38
Also if you don't mind a suggestion - I would recommend setting ISO and shutter speed so that the  ...

Well on this test the same iso and shutter speed was used for all of the images, I simply changed lenses. Also all other shot settings were set to "0" for this test. I only wanted this test to be a change of lens with no other changes made. sitting back part of my almost wishes I added the clear lens to this test as well.

Also no post work has been done to these images either.

Im thinking on tonights continuination of these test I will do the stand still images again but with correction in shutter, ISO etc for each one prior to the moving video shots and add it to the list.  Weather for tonight is dead on to last night so results should be consistant enough as long as I test at the same time as last night.
2015-5-26
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

PureSQNut Posted at 2015-5-27 02:50
Well on this test the same iso and shutter speed was used for all of the images, I simply changed l ...

I agree with using the same ISO and shutter for all tests.  The issue I am seeing with the current images is that the exposure is set so it looks right with the stock filter, too dark with the ND8 filter, and so dark with the others that they can't be evaluated at all.  The ideal test would be to set it so the exposure looks right with the middle filter in the range so one can take in what the filters are doing as you go darker or lighter from ideal.  Obviously it's your test so if you want to do it this way it's your business.  Just making the suggestion.
2015-5-26
Use props
PureSQNut
lvl.4

United States

PeteGould Posted at 2015-5-27 03:01
I agree with using the same ISO and shutter for all tests.  The issue I am seeing with the current ...

Awe, gotcha. Yeah I could do that as well as that would be easy enough to do.  Unfortunately as I found out with the 64 messing around its going to take a LOT of light to get images clearly thru that. Thinking next time Im shooting a solar eclipse ill be set.   j/k ...  ill get some more done tonight.      I think my goal was trying to set the stock one to a good setting that were all used to and going form there with the same settign and different lenses so they can see the extend of the higher value lens vs the stock ones they are used to.  But then again both of these tests would compliment each other so Ill knock it out tonight when I do the others.
2015-5-26
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

Cool!   
2015-5-26
Use props
PureSQNut
lvl.4

United States

Updated test list on original post
2015-5-26
Use props
PureSQNut
lvl.4

United States

Yeah I failed. Left the memory card at work. Doh....
2015-5-26
Use props
PureSQNut
lvl.4

United States

Here is a video of the comparison of the different filters. Still over exposed but I think I clearly note in the video the parameters of what I was doing and why. But at least for me being a novice to aerial photography looking at the results based on a matching 360 degree flight pattern with bright sun attached the camera from all different angles it give me (A rookie to aerial video) a lot to think about when doing any aerial work.

----  Ignore this as the video needs to be re-uploaded.  Sorry.--------------

2015-5-29
Use props
PureSQNut
lvl.4

United States

........ Sorry gotta fix the link

2015-5-29
Use props
PureSQNut
lvl.4

United States

Fixed----

Here is a video of the comparison of the different filters. Still over exposed but I think I clearly note in the video the parameters of what I was doing and why. But at least for me being a novice to aerial photography looking at the results based on a matching 360 degree flight pattern with bright sun attached the camera from all different angles it give me (A rookie to aerial video) a lot to think about when doing any aerial work.

2015-5-29
Use props
JCD
lvl.1

United States

PureSQNut Posted at 2015-5-30 05:35
Fixed----

Here is a video of the comparison of the different filters. Still over exposed but I thin ...

Thanks, nice comparison and work
2015-5-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules