Crux decision time
1556 15 2015-5-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
skyvideoct
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1136230 ft
United States

Well, it has finally come to the point of considering the next flying asset to add to my business. In part, this is due to the previous purchase of the Inspire 1 based upon the listed feature set when I placed the order back in February. I based that purchase on a couple of key criteria that would produce marketable results and products for my intended marketplace. These are listed below from my original business plan:
1.      Stable flying platform with proven flight control system.
2.      Ability to capture video in 4K resolution.
         a.      Even though the standard output will be in1080p, the capture of raw footage will have a longer useful life than native 1080p
         b.     Narrower FOV to eliminate distortion.
         c.      Modular payload for possible upgrade paths of camera and other sensor types (FLIR, etc.)
3.       Sizable company with infrastructure to support the purchase and service of the AV andsytems.
4.      Progressive software platform able to adapt to evolving standards and regulatory changes.
5.      Adaptable controls for team photography and autonomous flights when required for mapping and/or safety of flight missions.

I chose the Inspire 1 as my first sUAV based on the above. Some were listed, and some were assumed by me in my choice process. Here’s theresult of the performance in each list item:
1.      The Inspire 1 is a very stable AV and pleasant to pilot. The flight control system has some downside in that is NOT the A2 proven module, but a hybrid that is having growing                  pains. As I write this, I have logged over 125 flights and >150,000m and >80% over water. When it’s in the air and flying as directed, it’s awesome. I do let a sigh of relief after                each landing.
2.      The camera is OK, but there is as yet no upgrade or alternate modules available either by DJI or other vendors. This is disappointing. I want a FLIR module.
3.      As it turns out, the only attribute for #3 is that the company is a sizable failure in support in any way, shape, or manner. They don’t get it.
4.      The software platform is lurchy in nature and the long awaited benefits of the SDK release give no fruit as of yet. DJI started as a flight control software company and they don’t listen to their customers or keep them informed as to the direction of the platform or company. I’m planning on a rapid depreciation path for the Inspire 1 as a result.
5.      I bought the 2 controller version and am nothing but disappointed. And, finally, no Ground Station cripples me for mapping.This is a hybrid A2 controller not capable of being controlled by the DJI Ground Station. All in all, flunk on #5.

My original business plan AND my section 333 Exemption filing included the Inspire 1 and a S900. I am now at the point that I need to move forward on the purchase of an alternate system for mapping. The Inspire 1 can’t do it due to no Ground Station / autonomous flight. I look at the above lists and realize I would be foolish to consider buying another product from DJI.
So, I don’t know if there are any pilots out there who would like to try and convince me that I should stick with my plan and get the S900 and be patient with DJI in rectifying the long list of issues with the Inspire1. I’m all ears….

2015-5-27
Use props
flydronefly
lvl.3

United States

Not sure the extent of mapping you are doing, but have a look at 3DR, they have dedicated platforms for that
2015-5-27
Use props
info
lvl.3
Flight distance : 647034 ft
United States

If you are going to purchase something larger, go for the S1000. Trust me, I have hundreds of hours of experience flying S1000's and have never had an issue. I used to own two S900's and could not wait to get rid of them. They oscillated like mad, flew like trash in the cold, could not carry batteries large enough to meet the flight times we needed for given payloads, and honestly, the S900 does not save you much (if any) space for transporting it. The S1000 with A2 has been a complete work horse for us. Parts have been available for routine maintenance and here is something really strange, DJI support for the S1000 has been absolutely amazing. I encountered a few problems along the way, and each time I had to send in a unit, it was with DJI in LA for less than 2 weeks before I had it back in my hands! This alone makes the platform worth it. The payloads of the S1000 are extremely flexible/expandable, which is important for the type of work that you mentioned in your post. I wish DJI could figure out how to get the Inspire 1 to the point in development where the S1000 is, as it is a truly amazing piece of technology. That said, I have always purchased the S1000 Premium editions, never the S1000+, because I believe the aluminum vs. plastic parts and single-piece frame plates are definitely the way to go. Good luck with making your decision.
2015-5-27
Use props
skyvideoct
lvl.4
United States

info@thepixelbu Posted at 2015-5-28 06:32
If you are going to purchase something larger, go for the S1000. Trust me, I have hundreds of hours  ...

Thank you very much for the informative reply and your experiences. As I indicated, I'm all ears on this next chapter. I still hope that the Inspire gets to where it should have been months ago. That said I need to continue my planning and home work.
Again, thanks.
2015-5-27
Use props
skyvideoct
lvl.4
United States

info@thepixelbu Posted at 2015-5-28 06:32
If you are going to purchase something larger, go for the S1000. Trust me, I have hundreds of hours  ...

Thank you very much for the informative reply and your experiences. As I indicated, I'm all ears on this next chapter. I still hope that the Inspire gets to where it should have been months ago. That said I need to continue my planning and home work.
Again, thanks.
2015-5-27
Use props
skyvideoct
lvl.4
United States

Resolved. Due to the non delivery of certain advertised functions (ground station/autonomous flight), and the requirements of certain engagements, I was on the fence with continuing to purchase from DJI. Well, the wait is over. My $ just went to 3DR for an X8-M rather than a DJI product. It won't even be noticed by DJI because they are clueless in satisfying their customers and obviously in retention of customers. The purchase is >$5K and should underline my dissatisfaction with unfulfilled functionality statements.
I still love my Inspire 1. I initially hoped it would be sufficient for more work based on the marketing materials touting the extended functionalities that never materialized.
At this point, I had to amend my section 333 Waiver application to replace the planned S900 with the 3DR X8-M. I'm still pretty sure I may revisit a 3rd AC and will axplore with Aerial Media Pros their S1000 premium Pro package when the time comes. Key word = "may".
In the meantime, I will wait for the evolution of the Inspire 1 platform to it's promised potential and functionality.
Best regards to those that read this.
2015-6-1
Use props
smcbrearty
lvl.3

Canada

skyvideoct Posted at 2015-6-2 03:50
Resolved. Due to the non delivery of certain advertised functions (ground station/autonomous flight) ...

Skyvideoct,  Thanks for posting your finding.  I am surprised it did not get banned as AD/SPAM mentioning a competitors product.  I to am real close to purchasing the X-8 as well, quick question for you.  Do you know if you will have full control over the camera settings as you do with the x-3 inspire camera?  Or will you have to land a manually set the camera as desired every time you want to change a setting?
2015-6-1
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
Flight distance : 234590 ft
United States

skyvideoct Posted at 2015-6-2 03:50
Resolved. Due to the non delivery of certain advertised functions (ground station/autonomous flight) ...
New post from Tahoe Ed on sdk testing and release, looks like loads of features after reading the post which also includes a link to the sdk subcontracted developers site...DJI has another platform releasing soon called the (matrix 100) which is made for people that want the ability to change and modify the bird for several commercial uses and to carry whatever data gathering gadgets you can think of and infrared cameras , search and rescue, mapping, crop data, etc....Can carry one or two tb48-D batteries extending flight times to 40 minutes. Looks like dji saw their need to develop a more solid built package for some of the other commercial uses besides photo hobbyists ,one you can work on with replaceable parts too !

2015-6-1
Use props
Sky Ninja
lvl.3

United States

daver/m Posted at 2015-6-2 06:37
FYI. New post from Tahoe Ed on sdk testing and release, looks like loads of features after reading  ...

In my humble opinion, the Matrix 100 looks and sounds a lot like DJIs bigger and hopeful answer to 3DRs new product....shhhhhh, I'm not supposed to say SOLO on the forum.

By the way, good luck to you, skyvideoct.

Well wishes of great flying,

-S.N.
2015-6-1
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
United States

Sky Ninja Posted at 2015-6-2 10:31
In my humble opinion, the Matrix 100 looks and sounds a lot like DJIs bigger and hopeful answer to  ...

Lots of different hardware available can't see why dji would be upset with talk about other models ,  lots of guys here run other craft as well as DJIs equipment ...
2015-6-1
Use props
Sky Ninja
lvl.3

United States

daver/m Posted at 2015-6-2 11:19
Lots of different hardware available can't see why dji would be upset with talk about other models ...
daver/m- I couldn't agree more, sir.

It was meant as an attempt at a light humored joke with consideration to those who have been reprimanded for speaking too highly of competitors products, such as 3DRs SOLO.

In all fairness it is a DJI forum, but...it's just so fun to say SOLO, SOLO, SOLO!!!!

I'm bad, please forgive me,

-S.N.
2015-6-1
Use props
Rockeyes
lvl.3

United Kingdom

A fair and constructive post. You are not alone in your opinions and I am also busy looking into the alternatives you mention. The next firmware update could well be the true deciding factor for me. Fingers crossed that its a solid and a worthwhile wait.
2015-6-2
Use props
skyvideoct
lvl.4
United States

smcbrearty@roge Posted at 2015-6-2 05:30
Skyvideoct,  Thanks for posting your finding.  I am surprised it did not get banned as AD/SPAM men ...

The work flow will have to be worked through regarding camera, etc., but basically the camera is down pointed without a gimbal. This serves well for the purpose / flight plan. That is not to say that I will not be installing a gimbal, just not right away since I have the Inspire.
As I said before, the Inspire does very well for me, except for precision autonomous flights for mapping. The discussion is more centered on the non-delivery of promised/promoted functionality. I looked at the matrix specs, but again, that promotional rhetoric made me balk due to my experiences thus far with DJI.
I would say that the "other company" also has some learning curves in that it is much more based on finding your own way in the myriad of their technology and self service delivery of an AC that will meet the criteria. In the DJI world, we have companies like Aerial Media Pros that can deliver an AC that does any project out of the case.
2015-6-2
Use props
arunmehta
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120909757 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Apart from the customer service fiasco  and parts non supply DJI Inspire One has been a wonderful product for me .
when i needed repairs i did them myself and voided the warranty. I can see a business not relying on DIY repairs. But i found Inspire extremely easy to repair (Caveat i did not need any electronic parts only carbon fiber tube which i bought easily from e-bay)
2015-6-2
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
United States

Sky Ninja Posted at 2015-6-2 11:41

It was meant as an attempt at a light humored joke with consi ...

Hey i thought it funny too ! no big deal , dji shouldn't be so sensitive about other products being mentioned and I think this forum is also ours in more ways than not .. We are part of DJIs customer base
and dji uses us for feedback too so mentioning other brands or thier newest features I doubt is going to shift the masses away from DJI whom already has a huge part of the market and decent track record , not perfect but doing quite well so far.  
2015-6-2
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
United States

Sky Ninja Posted at 2015-6-2 11:41

It was meant as an attempt at a light humored joke with consi ...

Dude it's all good with me , too funny ... Gee I thought I was the bad one ....
2015-6-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules