Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Phantom 3 Lag / Pause Android in FPV
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
info.blumcomput
lvl.1
United States

ronnydsosa@gmai Posted at 2015-6-13 22:45
And tooth fairies are real... I am on a iPad Air 2 and having some serious lags.

Works on my test setup, no lag at all:

-Ipad Air (1), Phantom 3 (arrived Friday pre-installed with 1.1.9)
-Video Caching ON
-Hardware Decoding ON
-Firmware 1.1.9
-WIFI ON (connected to my home WiFi)
-Cellular OFF
-Do not disturb mode ON
-Bluetooth OFF
-Airplane Mode ON
-DJI Pilot app default settings (except for settings above)
-Ipad Air 1 got rebooted before flights
-64 GB Sandisk SD card UHC1

Maybe if we all compare settings it might help DJI figuring out the issue, or at least find a pattern behind it.
I have seen no stuttering in the last outdoor flights I did, smooth as butter.
2015-6-13
Use props
mtnmaddman
Second Officer
United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-6-13 10:19
Did you turn off video caching?  That will help as well.  My iPad mini get very hot.  Last summer  ...

Tahoe Ed  blade strike and I discussed this problem last week blade strike relayed to dji what I found dji knows what the problem is I found it the moment the latest software came out in android the java is looping no settings no amount of cooling your processors will cure this dji will fix the app. There are tentacles to the problem that I hope they find and cure also ie: wifi direct. please check dji data from barometric sensor I have also been working with samsung on lollipop issues. I have a samsung tab s on 4.4.2 with no samsung software in it running perfectly smooth no delay no heating no java looping 20 min. flights I have also another tab s on lollipop that displays all the  problems listed in this thread wont work at all I can fix but I am waiting till dji releases new pilot
2015-6-13
Use props
lnwpower
New

Thailand

2 weeks later but DJI still can't fix this problem.

{:3_42:} {:2_34:}    
2015-6-13
Use props
mtnmaddman
Second Officer
United States

Tyge Posted at 2015-6-14 04:42
Phantom 3 Lag / Pause Android in FPV

I think the headline and all the replays says it all. DJI!!!!  ...

Tyge  may I ask if you are running 4.42 kit kat or 5.01 lollipop please read my posts regarding tab s's Dji will address the java looping , as much info that we can get is helpful
2015-6-13
Use props
droneflyers.com
First Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

mtnmaddman Posted at 2015-6-14 10:31
Tyge  may I ask if you are running 4.42 kit kat or 5.01 lollipop please read my posts regarding ta ...

It's not just Lollipop - although you seem to have discovered that made things much worse!
And it's not all DJI problems either.

The problem is a lot of users are jumping up and down and piling on without even doing a bit of homework on their android (or even IOS) devices.

I use KitKat and had lag problems until I used Zapper and turned off and removed all the bloatware.

Some here are complaining about their 2012 non-approved tablets.

I think DJI will constantly be able to improve the software, but that's not going to help the thousands of new quad users who are not approaching this pursuit from the "hobbyist" angle that longer term R/C pilots are accustomed to.

On one hand we have the most advanced and reliable machine - by far - than most of us have ever seen. On the other we seem to have a new class of buyers who not only expect everything to work like military-spec equipment, but aren't ready to put in time and energy to help solve their own problem.

The same people then demand that DJI fix complex problems - many involved Android itself - in a couple of days.

New buyers should know this. The Phantom 3 will be perfected in about 6-8 months....about 3-4 months before the Phantom 4 comes out. That's the way the evolution of aerial robotics has been happening.

DJI could instead  - like some other makers - release machines that are a year behind the market instead of a year ahead. But they push the envelope....so their quads are more powerful than many tablets and phones can handle.
2015-6-13
Use props
gregg1r
First Officer

United States

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-6-14 10:53
It's not just Lollipop - although you seem to have discovered that made things much worse!
And it' ...

I do design on medical devices. Frequently we have to also supply the computer to run the analytic software on, however the computer needs to be hardened due to the environment its used in. Purchasing a cutting edge toughened laptop computer is an oxymoron.

For DJI to spec out a ultra high end FPV devise for use on the Phantom would have been counterproductive as a large segment of the prospective purchasers would pass on the sale.

DJI has a list of recommended phones and tablets for use as FPV devises. Are the higher powered units going to operate better? Probably, however all of the recommended devises worked on both the firmware and the FPV OS that was offered at the time of design.

For now, DJI Has a lot of software de complication to perform to debugg their code to find the offending line or lines. The Android system doesn't help as there are over fourty versions of KitKat, all custom modified by the various tablet manufacturers. Contrast this with the Apple IOS only having three versions of IOS 8 including the security updates to 8.3.
2015-6-13
Use props
Willie Wonka
First Officer

United States

And it' ...

Please don't bash other users as we are all CUSTOMERS and we had a working app on firmware 1.1.8 and now not working on 1.1.9 so go figure.

We do not need to do homework, the thing has to work as advertised thats why we freaking paid this lump sum.

on my iPhone 6 plus i can't do more than 10 minutes or it starts to lag and phone overheats.
on my nexus 7 2013, i had deleted the rom and reinstalled a stripped down rom with no google services and used the freaking zapper and still lagging on kitkat.

Most of us are educated people not fly boys wana play the thing in the air, so please don't waste our time with this non constructive talk.
2015-6-13
Use props
DVD Mansion
lvl.3
Canada

mtnmaddman Posted at 2015-6-13 22:14
Hey Dvd Mansion do you have lollipop on your tab s or kit kat  do not upgrade to lollipop if you h ...

I have Lolipop
2015-6-13
Use props
lnwpower
New

Thailand

my device is Sony z3 tablet

with inspire1 = no lag, no issue, no freeze, no jerky

with phantom 3 = lag, freeze, jerky

it's same device but different air craft

why ?
2015-6-13
Use props
DVD Mansion
lvl.3
Canada

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-6-13 22:56
Have you turned off bluetooth, cellular and wireless and quit all other programs?
Enabled hardware ...

Yes I've turned off bluetooth, cellular and wireless and quit all other programs indeed, I'm not a novice at tablets or computers I do my own encoding for a living and write programs so I'm sure I'm better at it than 99% of the people on here, it's how I make my living for decades, I know it's the firmware trust me 1.1.8 is perfect regardless of how hot the tablets ran & yes I enabled hardware decoding too..

We are beating a dead horse on the head with a stick every time someone posts, the temporary solution to all this is to roll back to 1.1.8 until they have a permanent fix end of story. Just cause your IOS works great and his Android works great it will NOT BE THE CASE with everyone as proven by many.
2015-6-13
Use props
Willie Wonka
First Officer

United States

lnwpower Posted at 2015-6-14 14:17
my device is Sony z3 tablet

with inspire1 = no lag, no issue, no freeze, no jerky

I will tell you why since you mentioned it, the flight controller on the phantom 3 is not as powerful as the one on the inspire and with the firmware 1.1.9 is taxing the phantom more and i felt heat coming out of the phantom even if not flying just sitting on my table, so it is not the tablet problem, it the firmware 1.1.9 is buggy on the phantom.
2015-6-13
Use props
m.vos2

Netherlands

i have to agree that the phantom does get prety warm even when just sitting on my desk powerd on
sadly i cant confirm that with 1.1.8 this was not the case

but 1.1.8 did  work a lot beter
2015-6-14
Use props
chrisclaydon
lvl.4

Australia

mtnmaddman Posted at 2015-6-13 23:59
I believe the pilot app has lots of problems shows up more in lollipop, add that to lollipops prob ...

Mmmmm ! Odd., i have tested the death out of my new S6 ... IT runs lollipop.

No problems at all ..

Cpu runing around 16%

I even mirror my epson bt 200 off the S6 without any problems.

TAB S diffrent story... lag city unless i kill everything on it..

Regs chris
2015-6-14
Use props
Kyokushin
Captain
Flight distance : 296381 ft
Poland

And it' ...

And one thing about task killers software.

In some cases they can do more bad than good, because they will killing apps in some interval and these apps will try to start in some interval and this may cause unpredictable CPU overload and video lag or freez when you are not expecting that, and you may crash drone finally.

It is good not to kill processes in interval but remove and turn OFF application which are responsible for those processes.
2015-6-14
Use props
Tyge
lvl.1
Norway

mtnmaddman Posted at 2015-6-14 10:31
Tyge  may I ask if you are running 4.42 kit kat or 5.01 lollipop please read my posts regarding ta ...

I use 4.4.2!
2015-6-14
Use props
Tyge
lvl.1
Norway

christianjouvea Posted at 2015-6-13 03:56
On Monday will be a Firmware release.....wait and see

How do you know this???
2015-6-14
Use props
DVD Mansion
lvl.3
Canada

Tyge Posted at 2015-6-14 21:15
How do you know this???

Because he knows what next weeks lottery numbers are too.
2015-6-14
Use props
droneflyers.com
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Kyokushin Posted at 2015-6-14 18:01
And one thing about task killers software.

In some cases they can do more bad than good, because t ...

Yes, true!
I did go into the settings and tried to completely remove or disable as many apps as possible.

It's probably advisable to sign out of google -if signed in - because that definitely uses a lot of cycles.
People can turn off the "update apps" in the google play store settings and other stuff like that.

I knew I had a problem when I saw 7 icons up in the upper left of the screen. If the device is fairly well stripped you'd only see one or two.
2015-6-14
Use props
droneflyers.com
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Willie Wonka Posted at 2015-6-14 14:54
I will tell you why since you mentioned it, the flight controller on the phantom 3 is not as power ...

Makes perfect sense.
You can't expect the same product for $1K that you can for 3K.
That extra money buys a lot of RAM and CPU cycles, etc......

It makes sense that a lot of tasks would be offloaded to the smart device....even if we all had to go out and buy a $200 newer device, that's much cheaper than spending an extra $500-$2500 on a quadcopter.

My wife has an iphone 6 and ipad air 2, but I haven't the heart to steal either when I fly so I bought the moto-g and now have a 2013 Nexus on the way - both are dedicated. My phone is the iphone 5, which won't do the job. Maybe I should trade it in for a 5s just to experiment....
2015-6-14
Use props
jayson
lvl.1

United States

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-6-14 23:48
Makes perfect sense.
You can't expect the same product for $1K that you can for 3K.
That extra mon ...

"even if we all had to go out and buy a $200 newer device, that's much cheaper than spending an extra $500-$2500 on a quadcopter."

um no not really. Now we are approaching 3DR solo price range. And if the best in Apple hardware is still having issues (ipads overheating, rebooting, app disconnects) a $200 device aint going to cut it you need the new Air 3 or Mini 4 which is going to be $500 - $700 range if you want GPS and follow me. I am waiting for a newer device if I even stay with DJI.

I am really interested to see how they deal with this issue, tax the craft too much and it will have issues, tax the device too much and you get lag and crashes. Quite the bind to be in...
2015-6-14
Use props
Kyokushin
Captain
Poland

jayson Posted at 2015-6-15 00:35
"even if we all had to go out and buy a $200 newer device, that's much cheaper than spending an ex ...

I am sure they deal, because problem was appeared in 1.1.9 in most, so dji cpu power is not  responsible for that.
People, espesially with Galaxy Tab S tablets, reported it works fine on 1.1.8.
2015-6-14
Use props
Kyokushin
Captain
Poland

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-6-14 23:44
Yes, true!
I did go into the settings and tried to completely remove or disable as many apps as po ...

Yes, and of course every auto update features should be always disabled on hardware used to operate mechanical devices such as cars, drones, planes, boats. Updates of course should be made, but in controlled environment.
2015-6-14
Use props
leon
lvl.1

United States

info.blumcomput Posted at 2015-6-14 07:34
Works on my test setup, no lag at all:

-Ipad Air (1), Phantom 3 (arrived Friday pre-installed with ...

That's because it's not the Apple platform that is the problem, it's the Android Platform!
2015-6-14
Use props
cegio
lvl.4
Flight distance : 671257 ft
  • >>>
Spain

I would like to ask one thing, I don´t know if someone can help me, I have 1.1.8 firmware , and I use galaxy tab s 10.5, when I turn on the DJI PILOT, and go to about in the app ,I can see the version of the app, and the version of the firmware ,there is 1.1.9  firmware, and that is not true, I never updated to that firm.  this happens to someone more?
2015-6-14
Use props
Kyokushin
Captain
Poland

cegio Posted at 2015-6-15 01:35
I would like to ask one thing, I don´t know if someone can help me, I have 1.1.8 firmware , and I u ...

I bought mine with 1.1.9 firmware. Maybe you yoo?
2015-6-14
Use props
cegio
lvl.4
  • >>>
Spain

Kyokushin Posted at 2015-6-15 03:07
I bought mine with 1.1.9 firmware. Maybe you yoo?

Nop, i bought it with 1.1.5 , then I did update to 1.1.8 and fortunately the weekend that DJI release 1.1.9 I was too busy XD
2015-6-14
Use props
alessio.pac
lvl.3
Italy

cegio Posted at 2015-6-15 03:16
Nop, i bought it with 1.1.5 , then I did update to 1.1.8 and fortunately the weekend that DJI rele ...

Hi, may I ask if you are still on kit kat? and what about your lag? you are lucky busy 1.1.8! and I suppose you can fly fine. A little video lag but acceptable I think.
Any case I did a kit kat downgrade on my tab S 8.4, it's better than Lollipop but unfortunately I'm on 1.1.9 now. With the 1.1.8 and kit kat was good. Not perfect but good.
2015-6-14
Use props
cegio
lvl.4
  • >>>
Spain

alessio.pac@gma Posted at 2015-6-15 03:59
Hi, may I ask if you are still on kit kat? and what about your lag? you are lucky busy 1.1.8! and  ...

yes I´m still on kit kat , I have the tab with 4g and there is not lolli pop still for me.
2015-6-14
Use props
tag666_demon
lvl.1

Canada

I noticed that even after a reboot, Zapper, etc, everything disabled, blablabla, if the weather is any hot, CPU start throttling nexus 7 2013, also even in cold weather if i land and go access the pictures to look the shots i took, when i come back to the main screen, i lag again...

2015-6-14
Use props
bluemagic
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1129629 ft
United States

I do not think this is going to get fixed easily or quickly.
I am pretty upset about the whole thing. No Youtube streaming on Android or the Training app. Not deal killers but we didnt know these would be possibly added later for android users.
And the whole lagging issue has kept me from doing anything serious with my p3. How can I line up shots when the video is freezing and lagging?
I think I truly want a refund. Product rushed out the door before it was ready.
2015-6-14
Use props
lnwpower
New

Thailand

Please read this
Dji need video clip for judge

( sorry for my english)
me : lag,stutter,jerky issue with android device
When is this going to be fixed ?
when do you expect a fix to be ready ?

DJI : Hello, please try to do the IMU calibration

me : no it's not help

DJI : Had you updated the video to youtube?
if you have video link of youtube, that will be helpful

me : in here http://forum.dji.com/thread-16777-12-1.html
did you ever go to that link?

DJI : Hello, we really need video link for judge

me : what kind of test do you need ?

DJI : which show the issue.

Screenshot_2015-06-15-14-35-44~01.png

Screenshot_2015-06-15-14-35-55~01.png      

2015-6-14
Use props
leand70
lvl.1

Italy

P3, I have performed several tests, with tablet samsung galaxy tab s 10.5.
Mode P-GPS =  lag and freeze.
Mode P-ATTI = no lag, no freeze.

Fly in these conditions is really depressing!

2015-6-15
Use props
Kyokushin
Captain
Poland

Maybe somebody with supported device and lags will collect the videos with lags  and stuttering from this topic, into one post, and send it to DJI.
Proofs collected in one place will be also good for us.
2015-6-15
Use props
m.vos2

Ireland

lnwpower Posted at 2015-6-15 15:39
Please read this
Dji need video clip for judge

jesus  and that guy does tech support your joking lol
2015-6-15
Use props
Kyokushin
Captain
Poland

There is crisis situation, a huge BUG in FLAGSHIP product. I am sure devs are working on it, but above message from support? ....

There should be:
- progress report from DJI to Community here in 2-3days interval about problem resolving
- 2 weeks beta (open or for chosen customers), after solving a problem.
- after beta and debugging, final release to others.
2015-6-15
Use props
leand70
lvl.1

Italy

Question for DJI on the problem of lag Phantom 3:
We can at least know the progress of bug fixing?
The cause has been identified?
Estimated time for the solution?
2015-6-15
Use props
nikpepa
lvl.1

Greece

leand70 Posted at 2015-6-15 17:12
Question for DJI on the problem of lag Phantom 3:
We can at least know the progress of bug fixing?
T ...

hello.me 2 i have a huge problem with android device and phantom 3 pro.huge lag in 4 mbps and custom channel and many crashes on the dji pilot app.please fix the problem we cant fly the drone with these problemsssss....................................
2015-6-15
Use props
saniwoj
lvl.1

Poland

My conversation with DJI...
I wrote: (12.06.2015)
As in one of the topic on DJI's forum: http://forum.dji.com/thread-16777-10-1.html
My question is: when the problem will be solved and how Your company will re compensate all the time i was unable to shoot professional video.
Best regards

They wrote: (15.06.2015)
Dear Saniwoj,
Thank you for contacting DJI Technical Support.

The DJI Pilot app is only compatible with devices running iOS 8.0 or later or Android v4.1.2 or later.

The following devices are recommended:
*iOS: iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi
+ Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, and iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular. This app is
optimized for iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus

*Android: Samsung S5, Note 3, Sony Z3 EXPERIA, Google Nexus 7 II, Google Nexus 9, Mi 3, Nubia Z7 mini
Support for additional Android devices will become available as testing and development continues.

Would you please tell me the mobile device you used and the system version?
Also,please try a device that in the above supported list.
Would you please tell me your current location?

Thank you for choosing DJI.

Best Regards,

DJI Product Application Technical Support
2015-6-15
Use props
Fingerlaker
lvl.1

United States

V1.2.6 now released.http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-3/download
I do not see any announcement from DJI. Is this our fix?
2015-6-15
Use props
petter
First Officer
Flight distance : 663179 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

Fingerlaker Posted at 2015-6-15 20:07
V1.2.6 now released.http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-3/download
I do not see any announcement from ...

The guy who said Monday was right... ;)
2015-6-15