Ipad Ground Station does not reflects the right position of "me"
1929 9 2014-11-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AIRvision
lvl.1
Flight distance : 42949 ft
Colombia

I just got the iPad Ground Station installed on my Phantom 2. I am in the learning phase and have only used in simulation mode. Although everything seems to work properly, when I Click the Compass function to look for the position of "me" it shows a remote location in the Atlantic sea near Africa. I am (my iPad) few meters away from my Phantom in Colombia (Bogota). Although the location of the Phantom is accurately indicated, it seems that the "me" location is not working properly. I am using Wi-Fi and 3G connections on my iPad (iPad AIR 2) with the Location Services "ON". All this is causing that the "From me" distance indication that appears in the screen is completely wrong.

I will appreciate any hint/explanation on this regard. Thanks.
2014-11-11
Use props
DJI-Rodimus Pri
lvl.2

China

Is the issue still there?
2014-11-17
Use props
mcveighbroadcas
lvl.1
Flight distance : 740666 ft
Ireland

My experience is that once you go out of Simulator Mode and connect up, it will show your true location and function properly.
2014-11-18
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

I agree.  Sim does not represent the real world of flight.  Make sure you calibrate your compass before you fly.
2014-11-18
Use props
AIRvision
lvl.1
Colombia

mcveighbroadcas Posted at 2014-11-19 04:02
My experience is that once you go out of Simulator Mode and connect up, it will show your true locat ...

I found out that the problem appears when I do the tryouts indoors in my apartment (a third floor flat of a residential building), of course I just tried in simulation mode but also with everything connected ready to fly my iPad position would be wrongly located. When I did it outdoors at ground level the iPad location was shown correctly and the iPad Ground Station worked properly in Simulation Mode as well as y Fly mode.
Still I have doubts about the iPad “location” and “search” functions since the indoor problem represent a limitation to make a fly plan beforehand...
Thanks for your help.
2014-11-20
Use props
AIRvision
lvl.1
Colombia

Yes but only when indoors in my apartment doing some tryouts in simulation mode. Also in ready to fly mode, if I am indoors in the apartment the iPad location is wrongly shown.
2014-11-20
Use props
Blade_Strike
Second Officer
Flight distance : 872694 ft
  • >>>
United States

Are you on wifi when this happens?
2014-11-21
Use props
AIRvision
lvl.1
Colombia

Blade_Strike Posted at 2014-11-22 00:15
Are you on wifi when this happens?

Yes, I am on WiFi. I have also tried when connected to 3G and the different combinations: 3G alone, WiFi alone, 3G and WiFi both on... It happens all the time when indoors.
2014-11-21
Use props
Blade_Strike
Second Officer
Flight distance : 872694 ft
  • >>>
United States

The reason for this is because you have no gps signal in doors. It's is trying to get your position via network which isn't as accurate.  You will need to go outside and disable wifi to get a valid gps signal.
2014-11-22
Use props
AIRvision
lvl.1
Colombia

Blade_Strike Posted at 2014-11-22 22:57
The reason for this is because you have no gps signal in doors. It's is trying to get your position  ...

Thanks!
I tried outdoors and worked perfectly without disabling Wi-Fi or G3 connections.
2014-11-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules