Important information for Canadians
12Next >
20743 51 2015-6-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rob88
lvl.3

Canada

If you live in Canada and are thinking about buying a Phantom, pay attention.  I recently bought two Phantoms and here is what I learned (the hard way) . . .

Lesson #1 - You can save $300 or more if you buy directly from DJI.

If you have a relationship with an authorized Canadian dealer in the city where you live, you can decide for yourself if you want to pay hundreds of dollars extra for that convenience.  But if you are buying on the internet anyway, you can save a lot of money -- enough for a free backpack and extra battery -- by dealing directly with DJI.

The reason for the difference is taxes and exchange rates.  I will use the Phantom 3 Pro as an example . . .

ThePhantom 3 Pro at DJI cost $1259 USD, with all taxes and duty included.  At today's exchange rate, that's $1,554 Canadian.  The same model retails in Canada for $1,637, PLUS TAXES.  So if you live in Alberta, where taxes are only 5%, the total price would be $1,719 and you would save $165 if you buy direct from DJI.  But if you live in Nova Scotia, where taxes are 15%, the total price would be $1,883 and you would save $329 if you buy direct from DJI.  I live in BC and saved about $300 on my DJI order.  That was almost enough for a free backpack and a spare battery.

Lesson #2 - If you use PayPal, converting currency through PayPal instead of your credit card can save you $75 or more.

If you order with PayPal, you have a choice of converting currency with PayPal or converting with the credit card company.  There are advantages to converting with PayPal, because if you cancel the order the full amount is refunded to your linked credit card.  However, if you choose to let the credit card company convert, and then need to cancel or return, you will get dinged twice for the conversion.  Basically, they charge 3% commission each way.  So, with the credit card conversion spread, a $100 transaction will cost you $103, but if you ask for a refund or cancellation, you only get $97 back.  That 6% on USD $1259 adds up to USD $75.00!  You can avoid this double transaction cost by using PayPal and choosing to pay in Canadian dollars.  I learned this the hard way when I cancelled my UV Filter . . . see this thread for why: http://forum.dji.com/thread-18021-1-1.html

UPDATE . . . September 1, 2015 . . .

Since this post the Canadian dollar has nose-dived and DJI has introduced new products.  Depending on the product and province of residence, Canadians can now save up to $439 by purchasing directly from DJI.  Here are some examples . . .

P3 Standard                    DJI: $799USD = $1052CDN            Price in Canada w taxes = $1177               DJI savings = $125
P3 Advanced                     DJI: $999USD = $1314CDN            Price in Canada w taxes = $1511               DJI savings = $197
P3 Professional                   DJI: $1259USD = $1657CDN          Price in Canada w taxes = $1905               DJI savings = $248
P3 Standard Combo             DJI: $1059USD = $1393CDN         Price in Canada w taxes = $1623                DJI savings = $230
P3 Advanced Combo            DJI: $1678USD = $2208CDN          Price in Canada w taxes = $2519                DJI savings = $311
P3 Professional Combo         DJI: $1938USD = $2550CDN          Price in Canada w taxes = $2911                DJI savings = $361

These calculations assume a 12% tax rate in BC.  In Alberta and the Territories your tax rate is lower, but in many other provinces the tax rate is higher than BC and your savings will be more substantial (e.g. save up to $439 in Nova Scotia and Quebec).

As stated in my original post, it is not my intention to discourage anyone from purchasing from a local dealer, if you are lucky enough to have access to one.  But if you are buying online anyway, the savings from DJI can be substantial, because the taxes and duties are included in the price.  This is confirmed by DJI at https://store.dji.com/help/shipping/faq (see the answer to question #5).

2015-6-9
Use props
Victor7k
lvl.2

Canada

Thank you very very much!
2015-6-9
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Thanks indeed!!
Although, That system wouldn't work all that well for me.
You see, I shop at my local Great Hobbies, and their customer service is by far greater than anywhere else, I could buy the same models and its peripherals.
When I walked into, Hobby Wholesale, and asked the salesperson about some RC model's  functionality,  
I was told to go online, google it. Yeah, or check out the specific forums. No customer service. None, what so ever. Not even a friendly smile.
Great Hobbies kindly invited me to attend the local DJI First Pilot experience, which was also sponsored by them, here in the capital city.
Near the end of the awesome event, we were all given $50 gift certificate towards the Phantom 3 purchase, or off any Phantom  bought.
Also  Joe, their store manager, told use that a first spare Phantom 3 battery we purchased from them, would be sold to us, at 1/2 retail price.
Well that's like getting 2 for 1. So I have just ordered two more, but depending how many they eventually and actually receive from DJI.
My chief concern of being conservative, is of another customer, who may not be able to have spare smart batteries.
So If they have lots, I'll grab four, if not only two. Anyway, I just called, & had them put two more on order for myself, totalling four.
They have on back order, 100 batteries. 52 are spoken for already, from four stores and mail order, of those, 2 are for me.
So I just called them back and bumped up my order, and requested two more. Totally 4 smart batteries.
Whoops, there goes another stack of my money. If 5 smart batteries aren't enough, I don't know what would be considered plenty.

RedHotPoker
2015-6-10
Use props
Rob88
lvl.3

Canada

RedHotPoker Posted at 2015-6-11 05:59
Thanks indeed!!
You see, I shop at my loc ...

I don't have an authorized dealer anywhere near where I live, so I have no choice but to order by internet.  Like I said in my post, if you are lucky enough to have a dealer nearby, then you have to decide for yourself the value of that convenience.  Sounds like for you, they are treating you well and earning your business.  Glad to hear it.  I wish I had a dealer like that within driving distance.
2015-6-10
Use props
Rob88
lvl.3

Canada

P.S.  I don't know why my icon sometime says United States.  I can see the USA from my living room window, but that's a long swim from here
2015-6-10
Use props
Total
lvl.4
Flight distance : 336480 ft
Canada

I ordered my Phantom 3 pro from Calgary on 5-1-2015 and I received it on the 5th . Been really happy with the service . My extra battery showed up 6-2-2015 . Might of paid a little more then from DJI , but I had it now for 1 month and now on my 30 Th flight and 100,000 FT (no crashes) .   My experience buying anything that has to go across the border has been hit and miss , and since I only have a p.o box , many companies will not ship to that  ... Rant done ...   

DJI rocks ...
2015-6-10
Use props
jmhirtle
lvl.2
Flight distance : 118845 ft

Canada

I'm from Nova Scotia and everything you say is as I experienced it. It's nice to have a break once in a while.
2015-6-10
Use props
leoamartinez
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1602986 ft
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

Thank you for your concern
2015-6-11
Use props
Michael M
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1984898 ft
Canada

Great info thanks!
2015-6-11
Use props
kalin2011
lvl.2

Canada

jmhirtle@gmail. Posted at 2015-6-11 09:57
I'm from Nova Scotia and everything you say is as I experienced it. It's nice to have a break once i ...

I'm in Nova Scotia as well.  Bought direct from DJI and am happy with my purchase and the price (4 day shipping all inclusive).however, not with their 2nd battery shipping.  Waiting 1 month!.    If the weather here will clear, maybe I could get a little flight time.
2015-6-13
Use props
The Phantom 2
lvl.3
Flight distance : 22890 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

So just to confirm, if i live in Sweden and i order directly from the DJI website the taxes and custom charges are included in the price that is showed on the DJI website?
In that case it explains why its such a big difference between the US prices and the European prices.

Does anybody know how long the shipping time is when shipped internationally from DJI?
2015-6-14
Use props
Rob88
lvl.3

Canada

The Phantom 2 Posted at 2015-6-14 19:44
So just to confirm, if i live in Sweden and i order directly from the DJI website the taxes and cust ...

When my Phantom arrived, the invoice said "taxes prepaid by shipper".  As for shipping times, the Phantoms seem to be arriving fairly quickly now (less than a week), but the extra batteries are anybody's guess.
2015-6-14
Use props
cbcnamja
New

Canada

Rob88 Posted at 2015-6-15 06:04
Yes, that's what DJI says here: dji.shipping.faq.  If the courier tries to charge you taxes, you're ...

Rob88, I live in BC as well. Did you have to pay for GST? I would think  Canadian customs will charge GST on all imports.  Taxes and duty are two different things from my understanding.  I have bought non-duty products online from the US before, but I always have to pay the GST.
2015-6-18
Use props
Rob88
lvl.3

Canada

No duty, no GST, no PST.  Seriously . . . It really is a great deal for Canadians.  The DHL statement said taxes were prepaid by the shipper.  I have had the same experience as you . . . always charged GST . . . but not this time.  

Edit . . . here is a scan of my invoice.  Notice the two highlighted parts . . .

1. It says delivery duty paid, but they paid duty and GST and PST . . . basically, all taxes were paid and all I did was sign for the box.  Other Canadians on this forum can confirm.

2. They declared the full amount of $1359 USD.  I have had other stuff come from China where they declare a low amount and basically cheat on the taxes . . . but DJI isn't cheating . . . they are declaring the full value, and paying your taxes on the full amount.  That's why the DJI website has higher prices in Europe, because they are including higher taxes in the price.

P3P invoice.jpg
2015-6-18
Use props
Jack57
lvl.3

Canada

Rob88 Posted at 2015-6-19 07:34
No duty, no GST, no PST.  The DHL statement said they were prepaid by the shipper.  I have had the s ...

Hey if I order from your link you provided do I also get some kind of discount or credit? Or do you only get the credit/discount...etc thx
2015-6-18
Use props
Rob88
lvl.3

Canada

Jack57 Posted at 2015-6-19 07:44
Hey if I order from your link you provided do I also get some kind of discount or credit? Or do yo ...

I don't know exactly how it works . . .
2015-6-18
Use props
Goodwill
lvl.2
  • >>>
Canada

Hey Rob, thanks for this. How long did it take to ship to you? I'll order from your link.
2015-6-19
Use props
Rob88
lvl.3

Canada

Goodwill Posted at 2015-6-20 06:31
Hey Rob, thanks for this. How long did it take to ship to you? I'll order from your link.

The Phantom shipped in two business days and arrived three days later.  Still waiting for the extra battery though.  Happy flying !!!
2015-6-19
Use props
cbcnamja
New

Canada

Rob88 Posted at 2015-6-19 07:34
No duty, no GST, no PST.  Seriously . . . It really is a great deal for Canadians.  The DHL statemen ...

Thanks for the info Rob88!!  If I buy, I will use your link.

I'm still debating if I should buy direct.  I will save $212.78 CAD if I buy direct and use Paypal (currently Paypal does have a better exchange rate. A $70 savings).  But I'm just worried about the customer service if there's something wrong with the phantom.  There's so much horror stories going around with their customer service.

BTW, where do you fly in the metro Vancouver area?.... assuming that you live around here.
2015-6-19
Use props
The Phantom 2
lvl.3
  • >>>
Sweden

Tip: The post by the administrator or moderators shield
2015-6-19
Use props
The Phantom 2
lvl.3
  • >>>
Sweden

Tip: The post by the administrator or moderators shield
2015-6-19
Use props
The Phantom 2
lvl.3
  • >>>
Sweden

Did they ship with DHL EXPRESS or some of the other DHL shipping types?
And so they are shipped directly from the factory in China, i thought that they were shipped from the US?
2015-6-20
Use props
Rob88
lvl.3

United States

The Phantom 2 Posted at 2015-6-20 16:18
Did they ship with DHL EXPRESS or some of the other DHL shipping types?
And so they are shipped dire ...

Mine shipped with DHL Express.  The tracking link confirmed the route . . . Shenzhen, Hong Kong, Los Angeles, Vancouver, Victoria.
2015-6-20
Use props
Rob88
lvl.3

United States

cbcnamja Posted at 2015-6-20 12:06
Thanks for the info Rob88!!  If I buy, I will use your link.

I'm still debating if I should buy  ...

I'm in Victoria. What part of the Vancouver area are you in?  Re the horror stories, I haven't had any problems, so for me, the savings were well worth it.
2015-6-20
Use props
cbcnamja
New

Canada

Rob88 Posted at 2015-6-20 20:16
I'm in Victoria. What part of the Vancouver area are you in?  Re the horror stories, I haven't had  ...

I'm in Richmond.  DJi put a height restriction where I live, but I guess it's not too bad because I live in the south end of Richmond away from the airport.  What bothers me is my city might ban all RC planes in the city parks.  That will suck if that happens.

I assume there's lot of places to fly in Victoria.

2015-6-21
Use props
Jack57
lvl.3

Canada

cbcnamja Posted at 2015-6-22 09:12
I'm in Richmond.  DJi put a height restriction where I live, but I guess it's not too bad because  ...

You can still go to 1600 feet high, but it's not really recommended.
2015-6-21
Use props
Rigworker
lvl.4
Flight distance : 52303 ft
Canada

Thanks indeed!!

I use Great Hobbies in Edmonton as well. Great service and the guys can actually help you. Worth a few bucks just for that.
2015-6-21
Use props
Rigworker
lvl.4
Canada

Thanks indeed!!

Where is your Great Hobbies dealer? Tried to PM you but I am not sure how to do that.
2015-6-21
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Hi,
Yeah, just saw your thread post now. Not sure we have PM ability here yet? Atleast not on a tablet, perhaps with a computer...?
Which Great Hobbies? Same one as you, here in the capital. There is but four stores across Canada.
Wish we could get some much needed intelligent batteries, as the prices here can't be beaten... ;-)

I didn't like the longer than anticipated expected wait, on the Phantom 3 Pro's shipment either, but that price was worth it for me, too.
Sooner or later, DJI will ship a sh!t load of Intelligent Batteries up to Great Hobbies in Mississauga Ont. and a few will trickle their way out to Alberta...

RedHotPoker
2015-6-21
Use props
Rob88
lvl.3

Canada

The batteries are on the way . . . mine shipped today!
2015-6-22
Use props
Rigworker
lvl.4
Canada

RedHotPoker Posted at 2015-6-22 12:13
Hi,
Yeah, just saw your thread post now. Not sure we have PM ability here yet? Atleast not on a tabl ...

Is that battery offer for anyone that bought a phantom from GH or just for you guys that Took the pilot experience?
2015-6-22
Use props
Victor7k
lvl.2

Canada

Hey, so I'm going to purchase the phantom 3 pro with the extra battery and case bundle soon, and just to confirm I should purchase the p3 from dji directly, and use PayPal. And just to clarify I should not pay in USD but in Canadian dollars? If I use PayPal to buy it, PayPal will convert it automatically to Canadian dollars right?
I want the best deal for myself, and I do not want to pay for a double transaction... Etc
Thank you.

I live in Toronto, Ontario.
Ps I'll be using your link to order so u can perhaps get some credit ;)
2015-6-22
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Rigworker Posted at 2015-6-23 00:06
Is that battery offer for anyone that bought a phantom from GH or just for you guys that Took the  ...

As far as I know, it should be for all of us Great Hobbies Phantom 3 customers.
But please don't quote me on this, phone in and ask, before you place an order...

Pretty sure you are included... ;-)

RedHotPoker
2015-6-22
Use props
Rigworker
lvl.4
Canada

RedHotPoker Posted at 2015-6-23 10:43
As far as I know, it should be for all of us Great Hobbies Phantom 3 customers.
But please don't q ...

I will call tomorrow and order a couple. Probably will order 2 even if there is no deal.

What did you say to them when you ordered? Did they just offer the deal when they knew you bought the drone from them? I have bought a lot of stuff from them. I may try begging ;-)
2015-6-22
Use props
Rob88
lvl.3

Canada

Victor7k Posted at 2015-6-23 05:13
Hey, so I'm going to purchase the phantom 3 pro with the extra battery and case bundle soon, and jus ...

All correct except for one thing . . . PayPal does not automatically convert it, they give you an option.  You can pay in $US and your credit card will convert it, or you can pay in $CDN and PayPal will convert it.  If you choose the option to let PayPal convert it, you pay in $CDN and any refund, credit or adjustment is exactly that amount.  But if you let the credit card convert the currency, they will charge you a fee on the purchase, and another fee on any exchange, refund or amendment to the order.  You might think this doesn't matter, because you don't plan to return your purchase.  But it has made a big difference to me already.  In one case, I ordered a backpack with DJI, but then later the prop guards were announced, so I cancelled the original order and re-ordered the same thing with the addition of the prop guards.  The second time, I ordered an extra battery but got tired of waiting for it, LOL   Both times it was me who changed my mind and it didn't cost me a penny through PayPal conversion, but would have cost me a fortune through credit card conversion.  I hope I explained this clearly and it helps you.  Any questions . . . just ask
2015-6-22
Use props
Rob88
lvl.3

Canada

cbcnamja Posted at 2015-6-22 09:12
I'm in Richmond.  DJi put a height restriction where I live, but I guess it's not too bad because  ...

Yes, lots of room to fly in Victoria.  But not anywhere near downtown, because of the Seaplane base.
2015-6-22
Use props
cbcnamja
New

Canada

Any Canadians here experienced a fly-away with the Phantom 3?
2015-6-22
Use props
Rigworker
lvl.4
Canada

cbcnamja Posted at 2015-6-23 12:31
Any Canadians here experienced a fly-away with the Phantom 3?

OK here so far. Updated firmware as well. Solid hover and no control issues.  I always check the IMU and compass values before each liftoff just in case something went weird. Not recalibrate, just check.
2015-6-22
Use props
cbcnamja
New

Canada

Rigworker Posted at 2015-6-23 13:53
OK here so far. Updated firmware as well. Solid hover and no control issues.  I always check the I ...

How many flights did you have with your P3?
2015-6-23
Use props
Rigworker
lvl.4
Canada

cbcnamja Posted at 2015-6-24 06:57
How many flights did you have with your P3?

Half a dozen batteries with the new firmware. The only issue I see is that the distance measurement on the app seems wrong. The altitude is OK but the distance to the bird seems off. Doesn't really make any difference though as I keep it in sight.
2015-6-23
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules