Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Installation of PolarPro ND filters and Polarizer on Phantom 3 Camera Lens
19317 38 2015-6-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
david.p.mann
Captain
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>
United States

I just received Polar Pro Phantom 3 Edition Filter Pack with Screw-on Polarizer Filter, ND 4 Filter, and ND 8 ND Filter.

I first removed original DJI factory-installed UV Filter from the camera lens by wrapping a single wrap of black electrical tape around the 1/8-inch width of the aluminum filter body.  The electrical tape provided sufficient grip on the filter and for my stubby engineer fingers, and I was able to unscrew the UV filter without too much difficulty. As shown in the pictures below, there is a fine machine thread on the Phantom 3 and I was able to unscrew the UV filter without too much difficulty. Other photos show the Polar Pro circular Polarizer Filter, ND 4 Filter, and in the ND 8 Filter.

The Polar Pro Filters do weigh about twice as much (est.) as the original UV Filter, but under power the gimbal can handle this tiny extra weight just fine. Each filter comes with its own storage pouch and a string for - I think - removing the filter if it gets stuck.  There is another post on this forum that describes the string method of removing a stuck filter.  I don't think this will be a problem going forward. The black Polar Pro Filter bodies are a little thicker and easier to grip than the very smooth silver body on the original DJI UV Filter.

I have not yet tested these filters while flying and recording video.  I'll update this post in a few days with a report.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
2015-6-12
Use props
FantomDK
Second Officer

Denmark

Very cool.

The ND-filter set from www.phantomfilters.com is a lot more lightweight and does not (potentially) hurt the gimbal. And it is a much cheaper solution. This is what I use.
2015-6-12
Use props
PhantomHelp.com
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

FantomDK, is that your website?

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)
2015-6-12
Use props
FantomDK
Second Officer

Denmark

PhantomHelp.com Posted at 2015-6-13 09:44
FantomDK, is that your website?

Yes, full disclosure
2015-6-12
Use props
PhantomHelp.com
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

Can you share some before and after photos -- so, we can see how well your product works?

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)
2015-6-12
Use props
FantomDK
Second Officer

Denmark

PhantomHelp.com Posted at 2015-6-13 10:17
Can you share some before and after photos -- so, we can see how well your product works?

Yes, I will add examples as soon as possible.

The thing is, the effect of ND-filters (see why ND-filters are a idea here) are not really meant to show in still photos. It does not change the image much but rather it changes how the camera works by allowing it to run at a much lower shutter speed - which is important when shooting video. Lower shutter speed gives a more filmic look by creating a natural motion blur. It also helps with the jello-problem that some people experience in bright daylight (= high shutter speed).

The filters install like this:

2015-6-12
Use props
shaneappelbaum
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2820945 ft
United States

FantomDK Posted at 2015-6-13 10:55

The thing is, the effect of ND-filters (see why ND ...

Really looking forward to some comparison pictures!
2015-6-13
Use props
shaneappelbaum
lvl.1
United States

Thanks guys
2015-6-13
Use props
shaneappelbaum
lvl.1
United States

FantomDK Posted at 2015-6-13 09:33
Very cool.

The ND-filter set from www.phantomfilters.com is a lot more lightweight and does not (po ...

Looking forward to seeing the results! Deciding between these and the cheaper option someone posted below.

Thanks!
2015-6-13
Use props
gregl This user has been deleted
Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-6-13
Use props
wordsaremything
lvl.4

United States

Ordered a set from FantomDK. Will post more info once I try them out.
2015-6-13
Use props
FantomDK
Second Officer

Denmark

gregl Posted at 2015-6-14 04:02
Yes if I can see a comparison before/after video using your filters I would be very interested.  I  ...

Greg, there will be examples, not sure when though.

The material is brand-name filter-material made of polyethylene (sometimes referred to as "gel"-filter) which the dye is bonded to.

2015-6-13
Use props
Tom Adamec
lvl.1

Czechia

FantomDK Posted at 2015-6-14 08:04

The material is brand-name filter-material m ...

FantomDK - examples or comparison, please!
2015-6-18
Use props
hugochesnel
New

France

Very cool.

The ND-filter set from www.phantomfilters.com is a lot more lightweight and does not (po ...

Great FantomDK ! I just purchased a set from your website, thanks for making those.

I hope to receive them soon, can't wait to start shooting decently in bright day light !

Cheers,

Hugo.P
2015-6-27
Use props
FantomDK
Second Officer

Denmark

Tom Adamec Posted at 2015-6-19 06:37
FantomDK - examples or comparison, please!

Tom, fhagan02 made a video with the filters:

2015-6-27
Use props
arives
Second Officer
Flight distance : 453684 ft
  • >>>
United States

FantomDK Posted at 2015-6-28 00:00
Tom, fhagan02 made a video with the filters:

Nice Video, but most of the shots were dark, with the shadows mostly without detail. Perhaps that is because the sun was setting.
I ordered the filters anyway. Post processing can fix the darkness.
2015-6-27
Use props
Fulgerite
First Officer

United States

FantomDK Posted at 2015-6-14 08:04

The material is brand-name filter-material m ...

Probably NOT polyethylene.  Polyethylene is not clear.  It's whitish like a polyethylene milk  bottle.

Most filter media is polyester based or polycarbonate.
2015-6-27
Use props
jason.sforza

United States

FantomDK Posted at 2015-6-13 10:55

The thing is, the effect of ND-filters (see why ND ...

Does this type of filter impede the functionality of the o-ring on the inside of the lens cap?
2015-7-3
Use props
FantomDK
Second Officer

Denmark

jason.sforza@gm Posted at 2015-7-4 05:30
Does this type of filter impede the functionality of the o-ring on the inside of the lens cap?

Hi Jason

Nope, the black o-ring is kept inside the UV-filter. If it falls out when changing the ND-filters or the Polarizer-filter (POL-filter) just put it back.

Thanks.
2015-7-10
Use props
victordp.drawbr
lvl.1

United States

I believe though that "Color grading" the footage defeats the whole purpose of seeing the ND and POL in action.
Which one is closer to the lens ND or POL...?
2015-7-20
Use props
sunsurfh2o
lvl.1
United States

victordp.drawbr Posted at 2015-7-21 06:58
I believe though that "Color grading" the footage defeats the whole purpose of seeing the ND and POL ...

so here is original footage shot in 3840p30 (4K) with ND32, ISO 100 & shutter 1/60, no color grading added. settings 0,0,-1 with first clip set to "normal" color space and subsequent footage (i left in the transition) in s-log.

http://youtu.be/Sa_yzBiqjjI

this is the ND32 from Taco RC. I bought the set (4, 8, 16, 32) and it came with a handy camera/gimbal transport support that is vastly better than OEM version.

this footage was around 6 pm with low sun angle. I don't get why anyone would buy a set with anything less than 16 and 32 as you won't be using anything less 80% of the time for early morning and midday shooting. 4 and 8 only get used at sunset/sunrise or very overcast.

I like that they come as 4 separate filters/caps (not re-using DJI UV cap) and the overall weight is negligible.
2015-7-21
Use props
Eagle-ONE
lvl.4
Flight distance : 495869 ft
United States

Here Is a very cheap and simple option. I sell it on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252010293286?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

IMG_1642-WEB.jpg
2015-7-22
Use props
HermosaDrones
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3160344 ft
  • >>>
United States

do you have them for the inspire yet?
2015-7-26
Use props
dji.blitzk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1752986 ft
  • >>>
United States

I bought the 6 filter kit from polar pro and I'm loving them.  I'd like to compare them to the filter insert types.... but I don't see a reason for me to buy them.
2015-7-28
Use props
CaveDrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11549 ft
United States

Very cool.

Just purchased.... getting them tomorrow right?   LOL
2015-7-28
Use props
imdjay
Flight distance : 194541 ft
  • >>>
United States

CaveDrone Posted at 2015-7-29 07:46

interested to know the optical quality of those plastic filters
2015-7-28
Use props
FantomDK
Second Officer

Denmark

CaveDrone Posted at 2015-7-29 07:46

I can certainly promise you they have been shipped!

Then it is up to the Postal Gods

Thanks again, CaveDrone!
2015-7-28
Use props
timswimm
DJI team

Hong Kong

i love the way sunset looks through the filter
2015-7-28
Use props
greenbean
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84783 ft
United States

The 'gel' lenses are adequate, great if needed stacking and have helped greatly,   but I've found the curling, rippling when screwing on (but has not effected footage), and constant fingerprints which need cleaning and have caused scratches (thou they occured when in the field)…..frustrating.      Anybody try TACO's double-sided coated 'glass' lenses??
2015-7-28
Use props
Fulgerite
First Officer

United States

I just put my PolarPro 3 filter set up for sale on eBay.  Good chance to get a set for a bargain:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/151777614761?
2015-8-12
Use props
bradneal24
lvl.4
United States

these are the ones that I use. I really like the ease of on/off. You don't have to unscrew the cap. Also, you can stack the gels very easily to get different combinations of density.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271930297304
2015-8-12
Use props
Stefan.forsberg
lvl.1

Sweden

Fulgerite Posted at 2015-8-13 03:07
I just put my PolarPro 3 filter set up for sale on eBay.  Good chance to get a set for a bargain:  h ...

Slightly off topic, but how much extra weight can the gimbal handle?
2015-8-12
Use props
Fulgerite
First Officer

United States

The PolarPro filters work fine.  I just prefer the silver color that matches the camera.
2015-8-13
Use props
Zeigler Earl
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2791296 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just received my Polar Pro 3 Pack of Filters but for the life of me I can't get off the factory filter from DJI. It's so tight I'm afraid I'll damage the camera. Any suggestion to get the factory filter to release?
2015-9-5
Use props
-=RaM=-
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Zeigler Earl Posted at 2015-9-6 01:56
Just received my Polar Pro 3 Pack of Filters but for the life of me I can't get off the factory filt ...

I used this method which worked for me

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=14931
2015-9-6
Use props
Zeigler Earl
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2791296 ft
  • >>>
United States

I found that if I place black electrical tape on the Lens and just "cupped" my thumb and index finger around the lens and apply equal pressure around the outside it came off rather easily. I think I was applying too much pressure in just "two Points. The copping method worked fine for me.
2015-9-6
Use props
flydodom
lvl.4
Flight distance : 321857 ft
United Kingdom

Hi All

I got the DK (Denmark made resin filters - called in photographic terms). I used them in my trip to Finland. Okay to use one filter on its own, results are good, however if you want to add two on top of each other then problems begin. You get moist in between and became useless also distorts the image quality.  I couldn't get the polariser filter to stay in position due to rotating ring it moves.  So I ended up using only x16 ND, which wasn't enough in bright snowy conditions for video.  My shutter speed was still around 1/400 sec. (4k 30 fps ), should be 1/60 sec.  

It is worth the price but useless in other sense...  :/  I wonder DK store has anything to add or explain how to get around these issues.

Many Thanks!

Here is a video with x16 ND

.........and some photos, one of them raw, the other two after post-production.

Raw Photo

Raw Photo

After Post-Production

After Post-Production

After Post-Production

After Post-Production
2016-4-5
Use props
lheft
Second Officer
United States

Which one of these filters will allow the camera to see in the water better? Do these block out the back shine from the sun?
2016-4-5
Use props
phinchman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120994 ft
United States

David, I also got that same PolarPro set and love it.  On Amazon, I got a small zipper case that fits all 3.  I like it much better than storing them in those little bags.  Also, the vinyl prop wrench works great for removing the stock lens cover/filter.
2016-4-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules