9284 54 2015-6-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sploodge
Second Officer
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI have released a new firmware for the two Phantom 3 models. Download form here - http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-3/download

Wonder what the "Anti-distortion feature added for images and non-4K videos." relares too?

REMEMBER TO UPDATE THE CONTROLLER TOO, DJI HAVE CORRECTED THE RELEASE NOTES TO REMOVE REFERENCE TO NOT UPDATING THE CONTROLLER!!

I would also think this update enabled the SDK support for the Advanced version.

Please update ths thread with any issues you discover related to this firmware version if any as it will probably help other users too

Fixes seems as below

P3P
Overview:
1. All-in-One Firmware version updated to:v1.2.6
Major Updates:
1. Anti-distortion feature added for images and non-4K videos.
2. Various bug fixes.

P3A
Overview:
1. All-in-One Firmware version updated to:v1.2.7
Major Updates:
1. Anti-distortion feature added for images and non-4K videos.
2. Various bug fixes.

2015-6-15
Use props
mark1975
lvl.3
Flight distance : 92454 ft
United Kingdom

mine was shipped from dji  with v 1.9 on the copter I take it the tx would also have 1.9 on it ?
2015-6-15
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

mark1975 Posted at 2015-6-15 20:46
mine was shipped from dji  with v 1.9 on the copter I take it the tx would also have 1.9 on it ?

Probably TX will have 1.1.8 as 1.1.9 was not needed on the controller either.
2015-6-15
Use props
Mr. Heinze
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1761270 ft
Germany

short report: P3P Installed ( 18minutes ), tested.. everything works well
2015-6-15
Use props
nikpepa
lvl.1

Greece

Mine has 1.1.9 on drone.do I have to update remote control too;;how can I check it to see remote control version;;also after drone update do I have to do anything else like gimbal or imu calibration or link the remote control again;;or I can fly after compass calibration;;
2015-6-15
Use props
fhagan02
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1854908 ft
United States

nikpepa Posted at 2015-6-15 21:13
Mine has 1.1.9 on drone.do I have to update remote control too;;how can I check it to see remote con ...

After any firmware update I would recalibrate everything. IMU, Gimbal, Compass the works. A firmware update isn't exactly a minor thing so best to be safe.

sploodge -  I've searched high and low and I can't find any more information regarding "bug fixes". Any more info on exactly what bugs this new firmware addressed?
2015-6-15
Use props
Philliplloyd20
lvl.3
Flight distance : 690607 ft
United Kingdom

nikpepa Posted at 2015-6-15 21:13
Mine has 1.1.9 on drone.do I have to update remote control too;;how can I check it to see remote con ...

Tx does not need updating. Definitely need to do a imu calibration after new firmware, also a gimbal calibration. Don't forget to calibrate the compass before you fly.
2015-6-15
Use props
mark1975
lvl.3
Flight distance : 92454 ft
United Kingdom

sploodge Posted at 2015-6-15 21:08

thanks mate
2015-6-15
Use props
GoDrone.me
lvl.2
Flight distance : 45928 ft
Malta

Anyone installed this yet?
2015-6-15
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

GoDrone.me Posted at 2015-6-15 22:04
Anyone installed this yet?

Yeah, I have.. No issues thus far. Although I was not having  issues with my working P3 anyway so not sure if anything  is fixed.
2015-6-15
Use props
clkilljoy1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15207 ft
United States

Philliplloyd20 Posted at 2015-6-15 21:18
Tx does not need updating. Definitely need to do a imu calibration after new firmware, also a gimb ...

I have not done an IMU or Calibrate the Gimbal, and Compass after each update. (of course I did the compass when I first got it) I have not had any problems. The general consensus seems to be to always to do this after updates.  I guess I will start, I have no problems yet, seems everyone has problems after an IMU calibration. Am I going to have to come back with problems later after an IMU update??
2015-6-15
Use props
ivan.tvrtko
lvl.3
Flight distance : 37740 ft
  • >>>
Croatia

Not yet, waiting for others to install
Sceptical with this one, I am on 1.1.9. with no issue.

I love when developers wrote "Various bug fixes"with no any details...
2015-6-15
Use props
Antti
lvl.1

Finland

Nevermind...
2015-6-15
Use props
arives
lvl.4
Flight distance : 453684 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just completed the firm wear up-date to My Phantom 3 Professional. It was a success according to the TXT file it wrote to the data card.
It went this way, for those who worry and want a road map
Insert the card into the copter, and turn it on WITHOUT PROPELLERS INSTALLED....
It immediately started the update process as explained in the directions that come with the .BIN file.
After about 5 minutes the lights on the arms go out but the green and red LED on the gimbal continues to blink, and the four beeps also continue.
After another five minutes, the lights on the arms go back on, with the front two solid red and the back two blinking yellow. The beeps continue.
After about 3 minutes the lights on the arms go off, the camera swings down then up and does a complete kind of reset the way it does when the copter starts.
Then the red and green LED stopped blinking and the beep went into the end sound which is beep ------- beep beep. It continues until you turn the copter off.
Then turn the copter battery off, remove the chip from the copter and check the new file in the root directory of the chip, and it will tell you if it was a successful up-load or not.
Easy Peasy.

OH Yes - erase the two files in the root directory of the chip, if the up-date was successful. Hopefully you have them on your computer in case you need them again.
2015-6-15
Use props
apocnz
lvl.3
Flight distance : 106588 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Yes, this update is for both the P3 and the Remote Control (even tho it says different at the top).

Only after updating the Controller did it report the correct firmware in the app.

Now just waiting for the glorious ANDROID APP UPDATE!!!!!  ;)
2015-6-15
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

V 1.2.6 - seems like kind of a big jump, doesn't it?
2015-6-15
Use props
apocnz
lvl.3
Flight distance : 106588 ft
  • >>>
Australia

They obviously have builds in between and when they get to a point where they have enough fixes and issues ironed out, test it (hopefully) and then release.

Interesting that the P3P and P3A are a build apart now.
2015-6-15
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
United States

You write that DJI has updated the release notes to reflect that the controller needs to be updated also. However, the version of the notes I'm seeing doesn't say anything about the controller at all. What I see on their site reflects what you're showing here for the Professional v 1.2.6

Where are you seeing this "corrected update?"

I don't think it really matters that much - if you attempt to update the controller (after having updated the Phantom) if it needs the update it will perform it, otherwise you'll just get notification that you've already got the latest version installed.

Regardless, thanks for calling this to attention.
2015-6-15
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
United States

apocnz@gmail.co Posted at 2015-6-15 22:47
They obviously have builds in between and when they get to a point where they have enough fixes and  ...

Yes and there's also a diff between the builds/version of the pilot app.

Saw a note here the other day where some developer working on the iOS version was looking for beta testers. The screenshots they posted have significant differences to what one sees on the Android version - getting kinda interesting! Hoping like all get out that we never see something like an apology that one version can fly to the moon but the other version is relegated to your back yard!
2015-6-15
Use props
Calvette
lvl.4
Flight distance : 103222 ft
United States

sploodge Posted at 2015-6-15 21:08
Is 1.1.9 the TX or P3A version?

TX or P3A version

2015-6-15
Use props
Calvette
lvl.4
Flight distance : 103222 ft
United States

Thank You sploodge for staying on top of this. "REMEMBER TO UPDATE THE CONTROLLER TOO, DJI HAVE CORRECTED THE RELEASE NOTES TO REMOVE REFERENCE TO NOT UPDATING THE CONTROLLER!!"
So you update the P3 and leave it turned on and update the controller?

"Updating the Remote Controller Firmware
Step 1- Check Battery and SD Card Capacity
Remote controller firmware is included in the aircraft firmware update package. Use the same update package file that is downloaded
from the DJI official website. Ensure that the remote controller battery level is above 50%.
Step 2- Prepare the Firmware Update Package
1. Extract all downloaded files into the root directory of an SD card or USB thumb drive.
2. Insert the SD card into a SD card reader or the USB thumdrive onto the remote controller USB port when remote controller powered off. If
you do not have a SD card reader, you may insert the SD card into the gimbal and connect the gimbal with remote controller to upgrade the
remote controller.
Step 3- Update the Remote Controller
1. Power on the remote controller and wait 60 seconds until the upgrade begins. Do not power off the remote controller during the update.
2. It will take approximately 10 minutes to complete the firmware update. The camera will sound a beeping sound and the Status LED on
the remote controller shows solid blue to indicate the update is in progress. The Status LED on remote controller shows solid green and
beeping sound will stop if the upgrade is completed with success. The Status LED on remote controller shows solid red if upgrade is failed.
Try upgrade again."

2015-6-15
Use props
Cacc
lvl.3

Canada

Is it not weird that there are two different firmware versions? I thought the Professional and Advanced were the exact same bird with just a different camera strapped on. Does that mean that there is an extra bug fix for the gimbal system in the Advanced that wasn't required for the Professional?
2015-6-15
Use props
kenmasters
lvl.1

Canada

Different models require different firmware.  Can't read into it any further unless you work for DJI.  

DJI needs better version control when releasing externally.  They can have as many internal releases they want, but when its ready for market, they should stick to a simple chronological naming convention.  
2015-6-15
Use props
GeneralToner
lvl.4

United States

I have always installed new firmware, that said, when installing this one to controller it did perform beeps and such as if updating.  Regardless of if DJI says to or not, I follow a complete process and this time appears I was right in doing so.

One big one that I didn't see mentioned above.  In addition to IMU, GImbal, and compass be sure to calibrate the remote as well after firmware updates.  Just to complete the loop.

Now to find time for a break to go out and test this new firmware.
2015-6-15
Use props
sermole
lvl.2

United States

firmware updated with no problems
2015-6-15
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

fhagan02@me.com Posted at 2015-6-15 21:17
After any firmware update I would recalibrate everything. IMU, Gimbal, Compass the works. A firmwa ...

And if calibrating the IMU, remember to use the "refrigerator-trick" :-)

If you put your P3 in the fridge before updating the IMU - letting it get nice and cool - and starting the IMU calibration right after you take it out, it seems to work better - and it will not need to sit and wait a minute or more every time you start up to "Warm Up".

After doing the refrigerator-trick, my P3 is ready to fly in seconds. And I have no bad sideeffects - in fact I feel it levels the horizon better (might be placebo).  
2015-6-15
Use props
Adamation
lvl.2

United Kingdom

FantomDK Posted at 2015-6-16 05:22
And if calibrating the IMU, remember to use the "refrigerator-trick" :-)

If you put your P3 in th ...

I certainly wouldn't use the "refrigerator trick" in fear of any condensation building up on the circuitry upon removal. Leaving mine in my car with Aircon on full whack did the trick for me - Adam
2015-6-15
Use props
leon
lvl.1

United States

OK, This thread is kind of stupid, It needs for each individual posts to state are you an Apple or Android Platform! Stating that FW upgrade went smooth and is ok, tells know one anything. GIve details on what Firmware, What OS Platform, and What Device. There are a lot of owners including my self that are having many issues with the  FW1.1.9, and it seems that might be the case with 1.2.6 and 1.2.7 Thank you!
2015-6-15
Use props
fhagan02
lvl.4
United States

leon Posted at 2015-6-16 06:22
OK, This thread is kind of stupid, It needs for each individual posts to state are you an Apple or A ...

Ok.... fair enough.

Just finished firmware updates and flight test...
• iPad Mini 2 WiFi only with the latest IOS
• Pilot App is the latest version

And in this order....
• Phantom 3P - updated firmware from .9 to 1.2.6 with ZERO problems (Took about 17 minutes)
• Controller - updated firmware with ZERO problems (Took about 3 minutes)
• All txt files confirmed success
• Cycled all batteries with latest .bin file still on the SD to be sure.
• Recalibrated sticks on RC
• Performed IMU Calibration
• Performed Compass Calibration
• Performed Gimbal Calibration
• Flew and maneuvered cautiously using 1/2 of a full battery.
   5 to 10 feet up and no more than 25 feet away.
• Flew out 350 feet out and 370 feet up for about 8 minutes.

Everything is fine. Warm up was quick. GPS lock was quick. Compass calibration successful on first try.
.....exhale.
2015-6-15
Use props
P4TRI0T
lvl.3
Flight distance : 53645 ft
United States

Update installed correctly, test flight was good.  
2015-6-15
Use props
ara9112003
lvl.3
Flight distance : 495869 ft
United States

Done! no issues .
now going to test

Phantom 3 Pro time 15:32
Remote about 04:00
Test with no issues

2015-6-15
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Update here was smooth going, I did the Phantom first, then the radio controller, it Flies Rock solid.
Very stable, I couldn't’t take it out to far, as my iPad mini was down to 10% battery life.
Charging everything right now, and hope to go back out soon.

RdHotPoker
2015-6-15
Use props
Total
Second Officer
Flight distance : 336480 ft
Canada

RedHotPoker Posted at 2015-6-16 09:03
Update here was smooth going, I did the Phantom first, then the radio controller, it Flies Rock soli ...

Great to see that you got your phantom ;) and all is well with it ...
2015-6-15
Use props
llll
lvl.2

United States

Okay, quick question for those of you have had successfully upgraded: I've tried twice now, same result: .txt file on SD card claims "success" but when I fire up the bird, I'm warned that it needs updating and that it's still running 1.1.9. The RC isn't updating, either.

Tried formatting fresh card in gimbal, fresh download + extract of files to root of SD, pop card in, turn on aircraft, things start happening and beeping and blinking as expected, but then just seem to hang. Two hours later, I shut things down, pop out the card -- find a .txt file that says all is well, but a bird that's still running 1.1.9.

Any suggestions as to how I might kick the process into gear?
2015-6-15
Use props
pbrown73
lvl.4
Flight distance : 964596 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hello- I've updated the firmware, and it appears to have worked fine, but now I have a battery that simply won't turn off. I hold the power button down and the four green lights cycle as if they are doing something, but the craft won't power down. The only thing I can do is pull the battery, but even when I do that the battery stays turned on! Any ideas??
2015-6-15
Use props
jack1144
lvl.3

Canada

When updating to 1.1.9 firmware,
I first tried to update firmware by following the directions I had read in the How to update on DJI site. "Extract all files to root of the SD card". It didn't work. It hung for an hour.
So , I extracted the firmware file  to a folder on the laptop, then copied the .bin file only to the SD card. It worked.
Wonder if this might be a problem
2015-6-15
Use props
carlos_sanchez7
New
Flight distance : 1270 ft
Puerto Rico

Done the update...everything running smooth.

Running in ios.

Performed the update in the following order:

1. Phantom 3 Professional
2. Controller
3. Extra battery
4. Calibrate the IMU (not necessary according to the App)
5. Calibrate the compass
6. Calibrate the gimbal.

Performed a test run and everything running smoth!!!

Some know when DJI is going to make the follow me option?
2015-6-15
Use props
fhagan02
lvl.4
United States

llll Posted at 2015-6-16 09:55
Okay, quick question for those of you have had successfully upgraded: I've tried twice now, same res ...

Can you still power up after canceling? Remote still sees the bird and everything is as if you never tried to update? Are you placing just the .bin file or ALL the extracted files? Some have had trouble until they only copied the .bin file to the card. Try the SD that came with the P3 or PA.
Just trying some quick guessing.
2015-6-15
Use props
S.Nyky
lvl.2

Canada

pbrown73 Posted at 2015-6-16 10:24
Hello- I've updated the firmware, and it appears to have worked fine, but now I have a battery that  ...

You say you hold the button down, but are you pushing the button once and then pushing again and holding? You have to do this technique to turn the power on and off.
2015-6-16
Use props
Shannon
lvl.1
Flight distance : 577241 ft
  • >>>
United States

llll Posted at 2015-6-16 09:55
Okay, quick question for those of you have had successfully upgraded: I've tried twice now, same res ...

The App will not show the update is complete until the RC is updated as well. The RC needs to be updated separate from the Phantom

Here is a link showing how to update the remote...

2015-6-16
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules