OSD and telemetry in Inspire 1?
7247 35 2014-11-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SpreadingWings
lvl.2

Australia

Would like to know if the Inspire 1 is coming with iOSD Mark 2 where one can attach a CCD camera for dual camera setup . CCD camera is for pilot and Built-in 4k camera for camera operator, and this setup also create redundancy for FPV flights and also help understanding orientation at distance.

Are GPS co-ordinates to be shown in the OSD this time? Are there any telemetry recording feature on a SD card for logging purpose? If not, can we use Futaba or Frsky Teranis TX with the new flight controller and keep the stock transmitter for gimbal operation in HD.
2014-11-18
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

The Inspire comes with Flight Data Recording on the SD card.  You cannot attach a CCD camera for dual camera mode.  I don't think that the GPS coordinates are on the display.  You will only be able to use the supplied Tx for Control and other functions.  No 3rd party txs are supported at this time.
2014-11-18
Use props
SpreadingWings
lvl.2

Australia

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2014-11-19 08:45
The Inspire comes with Flight Data Recording on the SD card.  You cannot attach a CCD camera for dua ...

bummer.. till date i couldn't understand why DJI is so preserve and try to keep everything under their control. A $30 LIPO sitting inside a case and getting sold for $150, OSD that doesn't show GPS coords and makes users to learn formula to get GPS coords through Azimuth angle, D and H, why no provision for Dual camera in terms of redundancy.. it just cost $100 to fit one. Worst to know that one cannot add other TX and rely heavily on a $600+ TX which is expensive then 14SG Futaba and doesn't have the same functionality or reliability history. DJI.. "think advance and stop spoon feeding".
2014-11-18
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

SpreadingWings Posted at 2014-11-19 09:07
bummer.. till date i couldn't understand why DJI is so preserve and try to keep everything under t ...

SpreadingWings, I am sorry that we are not meeting your expectations.  This is the design of the product.  If you want a more customizable platform, DJI has those as will but it is not this one.
2014-11-18
Use props
SpreadingWings
lvl.2

Australia

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2014-11-19 09:19
SpreadingWings, I am sorry that we are not meeting your expectations.  This is the design of the p ...

Not really a customization which i am demanding , that will be open source platform . My S900 and S1000 are good with adding extra features.

I am expecting features, provision of video redundancy, GPS coords recorded in SD card for anyone to go find their lost aircraft + logging for maintaining aviation regulations. The features  requested are the simplest of ones and are also of significant  importance.. if DJI is thinking forward and advance, why it is lacking the simplest of feature which makes the product a lot better and simpler for end user .
2014-11-18
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

SpreadingWings Posted at 2014-11-19 09:43
Not really a customization which i am demanding , that will be open source platform . My S900 and S ...

Thank you.  I will forward your suggestions on to DJI HQ.
2014-11-18
Use props
SpreadingWings
lvl.2

Australia

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2014-11-19 09:57
Thank you.  I will forward your suggestions on to DJI HQ.

Thanks, appreciate it. As a student RPAS pilot, i would at least want to read the coords in my display to keep myself in check of entering restricted airspace. DJI restricted airspace is very minimum, it doesn't cover airfields, H and many others which are displayed in aviation charts and maps of a country. GPS coords helps one plan their flight path and keep themselves within their regulation + logging the same will help them during any incident + can also find a lost / crash at far sight aircraft.  DJI FC heavily works with GPS, it is a matter of writing 4-10 lines of codes calling the lat and long variables from FC and display it into the iOSD. Other features are secondary and have to do with hardware changes.
2014-11-18
Use props
pinpointmapping
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5345105 ft
  • >>>
United States

From the looks of the screenshot for the "Full Feature App", it seems to convey most everything you're asking for, but in a more intuitive graphical display rather than clunky text along the edge.... minus the redundant FPV, but it does provide a sharp google earth/mapbox  type view that seems to show heading of ship plus current direction of gimbal cam. And location, so coordinate of last link location should be able to easy to query. I would bet if not currently available, it wouldn't be hard to leverage the SDK that is available to add supplemental KML layers/files to represent any necessary ancillary data the pilot might wish (power lines, NoTAMs, TMK/parcel data etc..) Today is national GIS day, and any GIS data could likely be added.  Dream it, and you can likely build an APP for it.....
2014-11-18
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

pinpointmapping Posted at 2014-11-19 13:01
From the looks of the screenshot for the "Full Feature App", it seems to convey most everything you' ...

Pinpoint we like guys like you.  Nerds like the rest of us.  Stay around if you have questions that quiz you let me know.
2014-11-18
Use props
SpreadingWings
lvl.2

Australia

pinpointmapping Posted at 2014-11-19 13:01
From the looks of the screenshot for the "Full Feature App", it seems to convey most everything you' ...

agree... i will download the sdk for iOS and have a walkthrough of what extent it will allow to play with the functions and variables. I have both android and iOS developer subscription but not much into android at this stage.
2014-11-18
Use props
kosmas
lvl.2

Greece

The coordinate showing ...... plus the metric system.....plus the velocity showing......plus the smooth lost tilt of H3-2D gimbal.....plus....plus.....another sick story.....how many times and how many users complain about these SIMPLE TO ADD or to correct features.....but DJI seems one more time not mention about. Hopefully this will change in the NEAR future
2014-11-19
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

kosmas Posted at 2014-11-19 20:56
The coordinate showing ...... plus the metric system.....plus the velocity showing......plus the smo ...

Kosmas, this is not that craft.  It is what it is.  If it does not meet your needs then don't buy it.  If you complaint is about DJI in general, I cannot help you.
2014-11-19
Use props
SpreadingWings
lvl.2

Australia

Tahoe: You are bad in marketing... The rule of thumb of any business is "Customer is always right". For any technology, customer is the best "real-time testing setup" . There are gaps in the technology provided to the end user and are identified and reported , but if the business shows attitude of "i do not care", this will soon back fire when another player  equivalent start to hit the stock.
2014-11-19
Use props
kosmas
lvl.2

Greece

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2014-11-19 21:54
Kosmas, this is not that craft.  It is what it is.  If it does not meet your needs then don't buy  ...

Tahoe....I would say something bad about your reply but I leave this to the other users oppinion. Your very bad in comunication, marketing and after sales service. And be for sure if this forum was exist before my invest to your "goods" I have not been your customer now :@
2014-11-19
Use props
DJI-JS
lvl.3
Flight distance : 48940 ft
  • >>>
United States

SpreadingWings Posted at 2014-11-19 10:07
Thanks, appreciate it. As a student RPAS pilot, i would at least want to read the coords in my dis ...

Hi SpreadingWings,
Adding a GPS coordinates on the IOSD is not complicate, but the actual result ends the screen is full of texts. as the GPS coordinates takes up two lines. However, we can trim it down to a less accurate number, then we can fit GPS coordinates in one line to free up some screen space. See attached picture, that is an example we squeezed the GPS coordinates into 1 line.

GPS coords trial

GPS coords trial
2014-11-21
Use props
SpreadingWings
lvl.2

Australia

DJI-JS Posted at 2014-11-22 03:04
Hi SpreadingWings,
Adding a GPS coordinates on the IOSD is not complicate, but the actual result e ...

Thanks DJI, doesn't bother me to have telemetry which are critical to have. But, you can always add an option in iOSD or DJI assistance software for user to enable the GPS coords display or not. You can keep the GPS coords logged into the SD card of Inspire controller , so that even people don't want to see the coords in the screen knows that it has been recorded. IF you are thinking to make this feature available to all products, probably GPS data display on/off in the iosd assistant software is the way to go, and keen pilots can always use DVR to record the screen data.
2014-11-21
Use props
agpilot2b
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3852293 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Hi Tahoe_Ed and DJI-JS,

I completely agree with you regarding the fact that you buy the equipment as is, and anything else is a bonus. Personally, I actually think that the graphical map and parameters that you see within the Pilot app are actually perfect for defining and setting "Near Legal" boundaries.

I do however also see where Spreadwing is coming from too, as each user may want something different, but acknowledge that DJI cannot cater to EVERYONES individual preferences.
The one thing I am struggling with is that I am able to extract both the "DJIFlightRecord_XXXX-XX-XX_[XX-XX-XX].txt" file from the Pilot App, and log files from the SD card, but neither show up in an understandable format. I also understand that DJI would not want to open themselves up to some boffins tampering with Flight Records when sending units back for warranty purposes, but is there nothing DJI can programme up in a matter of minutes that can be released with the next Pilot App update or Firmware update that would create a "Replica" usable .csv type formatted file that could be extracted and used for GPS ref positions and subsequent incorporation into programmes like Dashware or photogrammetry and engineering programmes?

I mean the underlying data is surely there in order to make the beautiful Flight Log review, but please... I really don't want to stick on an aftermarket Flight Data Logger onto my Inspire that has more than enough capability to perform this function itself???

Hell... I'll even pay the DJI programmers time to alter the App API to facilitate my proposed Replica .csv file solution...???
2015-4-3
Use props
Wildcat Willie
lvl.3

Canada

Be careful about criticizing DJI to much...My posts over the last while seem to disappear or not show up...I guess it wasnt appreciated  reminding them that there were issues as well as solutions outside of DJI...My criticisms were constructive and respectful...Tahoe Ed I am one of the  customer groups  that DJI is focusing on and am one of the Pragmatists on the one hand and a first adopter on the other...Spanning the Chasm so to speak...In fact if you find me a problem wait until this product goes mainstream where an average customer in a niche market starts looking at something like the Inspire 1...If it starts dropping out of GPS over this customer base you may well be looking at the R word "RECALL" will start being used or the other R word "Regulators"..I have been involved on the corporate side of several recalls and for every dollar spent by a customer DJI will spend $100.00. Thats just the toll in dollars not including the toll its takes on your health and relationships..."Comments like It is what it is" , or "Go somewhere else" or "If your a Beginner any input would not be useful"  are not constructive and do not get you anywhere. We are not your enemies ...We are you customers and the reason you have a job...If you think I am exaggerating take a look at the auto industry and the "R" word... I haven't heard your type of comments coming out of Ford, GM or Toyota regarding criticisms of their products shortcoming...This is the time and place DJI and you need to be paying attention to criticism and not censoring it.
2015-4-4
Use props
SpreadingWings
lvl.2

Australia

DJI ban people who talks about other brands or share videos in their FB group:@
2015-4-8
Use props
bornish
lvl.3
Flight distance : 91447 ft
United Arab Emirates

agpilot2b@hotma Posted at 2015-4-3 18:51
Hi Tahoe_Ed and DJI-JS,

I completely agree with you regarding the fact that you buy the equipment a ...

I have also requested for a utility to extract non-sensitive telemetry data from the Flight Recorder log files (*.dat). I have even suggested to sign a confidentiality agreement and given the file format to develop such a utility for free. I1 has now the ability to save RAW data for both pictures and video and I assume this was requested by professionals using their products. Many other professionals need telemetry data to complement the data from the visual sensor. In fact, since all the live sensors readings from the I1 are being already recorded, I have no idea why this data is not provided to us.
The lack of Ground Station support was interpreted by EVERYONE as a delay! Be sure that everyone that has already purchased an I1 was SURE that this feature will be available soon after the product release. Same goes for IOC modes, and other features advertised when the product was released, thus weighting on our purchase decision.
Another aspect to mention here are a few misleading features as advertised. For example, timeline and burst capturing modes are software functions and not camera firmware ones. Another example is the confusing drawing on the map window, which has lead many to believe that will help (in the future at least) prevent the I1 reach unwanted territory when GPS signal is available.
I hope everyone reading my post will see it as constructive criticism since I am a happy owner which only regrets the inability to use all its capabilities. The I1 is not a toy thus should not be a matter of taste but functionality like any other tool. DJI may not see all the benefits to be gained from this requested support from its customers, but I can assure them and prove at any time of the day how the expertise and different background of each community member can help their success.
Best regards,
Bogdan
2015-4-8
Use props
markaguille
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Guernsey

Hi SpreadingWings,
Adding a GPS coordinates on the IOSD is not complicate, but the actual result e ...

hi js, what monitor is this?
2015-4-10
Use props
DJI-ytao
DJI R&D Squad
Flight distance : 1209413 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Hi SpreadWings.

1. osd data monitor is always with sdk. phantom sdk level 1 users call sdk api to collect osd data and save  telemetry data as the format they want.

inspire sdk is not released yet. so plz kindly wait.

2. dji-pilot app collects data and displays flight record in usercenter.

3. if u really want to play with these trajectory data your self. Plz use inspire sdk.
2015-4-12
Use props
SpreadingWings
lvl.2

Australia

DJI-ytao Posted at 2015-4-12 20:01
Hi SpreadWings.

1. osd data monitor is always with sdk. phantom sdk level 1 users call sdk api to c ...

Do you have update on GPS coords trial? Last time one of your team member shared the image but it is way long now.
2015-4-13
Use props
DJI-ytao
DJI R&D Squad
Flight distance : 1209413 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

SpreadingWings Posted at 2015-4-14 11:36
Do you have update on GPS coords trial? Last time one of your team member shared the image but it  ...

What is "GPS coords trial" ? Would u plz describe it in detail?

Or would u plz show me a link or sth?
2015-4-14
Use props
SpreadingWings
lvl.2

Australia

DJI-ytao Posted at 2015-4-15 10:48
What is "GPS coords trial" ? Would u plz describe it in detail?

Or would u plz show me a link or  ...

Check the post above by DJI-JS IMG_0038.JPG.
2015-4-30
Use props
SpreadingWings
lvl.2

Australia

Hi SpreadingWings,

Hi ,

Did you had any further progress on this?
2015-5-8
Use props
GB44
lvl.4
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

SpreadingWings Posted at 2014-11-19 10:07
Thanks, appreciate it. As a student RPAS pilot, i would at least want to read the coords in my dis ...

If you are studying towards commercial license in the UK, you will be flying maximum of 500m VLOS so why would you need coordinates to know if you are entering a restricted airspace.  In theory, you should have done your desk study before flying so you would know exactly where you are flying and where restricted airspace is within your range of operations.
2015-5-8
Use props
SpreadingWings
lvl.2

Australia

GB44 Posted at 2015-5-9 01:13
If you are studying towards commercial license in the UK, you will be flying maximum of 500m VLOS  ...

Hmm.. it seems you didn't understood the whole concept. When you loose control, there is no 500m limitation where the multicopter can fly away, if you are flying in a forest or bush area, like in Australia, a crashed aircraft can take days to find within 500m radius + add a rain overnight = forget about the search.
2015-5-9
Use props
lethbrp
lvl.4
United Kingdom

SpreadingWings Posted at 2015-5-10 15:16
Hmm.. it seems you didn't understood the whole concept. When you loose control, there is no 500m l ...

If thats you concern, add a gps tracker
2015-5-9
Use props
GB44
lvl.4
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

SpreadingWings Posted at 2015-5-10 15:16
Hmm.. it seems you didn't understood the whole concept. When you loose control, there is no 500m l ...

Ok,

I am sorry if I misinterpreted your posts.

As above, you will probably be looking add a small GPS tracker :
http://www.loc8tor.com/uk/everyday/loc8tor-gps.html/
http://www.gotek7.com/product/prime-lite/

http://www.traxfamily.com/shop.html

These sites should point you in the right direction.  I looked at the Trax unit and they confirmed it is fully supported and operations in Australia.  Unfortunately they won't deliver to UK.

Hope the above helps and addresses your concerns.  All the above will be easily attached to the Inspire.
2015-5-10
Use props
SpreadingWings
lvl.2

Australia

lethbrp Posted at 2015-5-10 15:39
If thats you concern, add a gps tracker

I already have Frysky Telemetry GPS module which send coords every 3 sec on my TX and it gets recorded in the built-in SD card.
2015-5-10
Use props
cravac
lvl.3
United States

I know nothing about the telemetry or coordinates you're looking for, but the 2nd camera for fpv is being offered by DSLRPros, you have to ship them your I1 and they add it
Not sure if this helps anyone
2015-5-10
Use props
SpreadingWings
lvl.2

Australia

cravac Posted at 2015-5-11 10:26
I know nothing about the telemetry or coordinates you're looking for, but the 2nd camera for fpv is  ...

The topic have slightly deviated from I1, although it can be applied to I1 as well, but I1 can be located through the app as long as it is within the range.

DJI engineer showed the image above about showing the GPS co-ords through iosd mark 2. They have released the firmware recently which records the co-ordinates, but that won't help in terms of recovery. The recorded co-ordinates will help dealing with legal issues , like proving to law officials that you were not flying within 3Nm of an airport, etc etc.
2015-5-10
Use props
cravac
lvl.3
United States

SpreadingWings Posted at 2015-5-11 10:40
The topic have slightly deviated from I1, although it can be applied to I1 as well, but I1 can be  ...

I understand what you're looking for, just can't comment on it with any knowledge
was just letting anyone that's looking for a 2nd camera for fpv during 2 operator know that it's out there
2015-5-10
Use props
lethbrp
lvl.4
United Kingdom

SpreadingWings Posted at 2015-5-11 10:40
The topic have slightly deviated from I1, although it can be applied to I1 as well, but I1 can be  ...

If you want coordinates for recovery, then use your GPS tracker. You would stand a far greater chance of recovering the bird using the tracker than trying to tap into the coordinates of the Inspire. There would be a greater likelihood that the Inspire battery/system would fail in the event of a crash than your tracker, which runs on a  separate power supply and is probably more crash resistant.
2015-5-10
Use props
kevw8504
lvl.1

United States

Hi SpreadingWings,

Could you give me some more detail on this?
I have a client I will be doing some survey work for and I would like to have the GPS coordinates on screen.
What I have done in the past for them is I record the live map from my iPad and sync it in a timeline with the actual footage PIP. The only thing I'm missing is the Coordinates. Any help would be appreciated
Thanks
Kevin Winkler
2015-7-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules