Phantom 3 battery does not automatically discharge
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
marcel.heemsker
lvl.1

Netherlands

The Phantom 3 intelligent battery should discharge by itself after a programmable time span of a few days.

I set the number to 4 days, default was 7 days, but today (9 days after last charge) the battery is still 100% (4 lights).

I have crashed my phantom in the trees so I am in the progress of opening the body to make it beautiful again... and i trusted the battery will discharge by itself. But it doesn't..?

Any help?
2015-6-16
Use props
venomx15301
lvl.3

United States

I noticed this too. I set both of mine for one day as a test. It has been three days and one was 98% and the newer battery was still 100%.
2015-6-16
Use props
Rimas_M
lvl.2

Lithuania

I'm interested in this also. My P3P is at the DJI support department, and the battery I have still shows 100% charge :/ 3 weeks have passed. I was expected that it will discharge by itself after like 10 days.
2015-6-16
Use props
robvelez
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1057844 ft
  • >>>
United States

Out of curiosity, and I know we test the discharge function to work from the battery itself, but is it because the battery is LiPo?? Does this type of battery hold it's charge longer compared to Li-Ion, NiMH, etc?

From the DJI advanced user manual (pg. 21), they state to (slow) discharge it by leaving the aircraft by leaving it on. Rapid discharge is obvious by flying it.
2015-6-16
Use props
david.p.mann
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>
United States

CAUTION: Every time you press the battery button once to check the charge status you will RESET the automatic discharge counter!  So, if you set the discharge timer to 5 days, for example, you must not check the battery status for 8 days - five to start the discharge and another 3 to complete the discharge once it starts.  If you are pressing the battery status button every day or even every few days, it will never discharge.  In my experience, the battery only discharges to 50-60%.  So, even after discharge cycle completes, you will still have 2 or 3 LEDs lighting up.
2015-6-16
Use props
chris
lvl.2
Flight distance : 240135 ft
United States

Good to know David.  Thank you!
2015-6-16
Use props
clkilljoy1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15207 ft
United States

david.p.mann@ea Posted at 2015-6-17 00:12
CAUTION: Every time you press the battery button once to check the charge status you will RESET the  ...

All of these little secrets keep coming to the light of day. (Was/is this in the manual??)
2015-6-16
Use props
david.p.mann
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>
United States

clkilljoy1@nets Posted at 2015-6-17 00:49
All of these little secrets keep coming to the light of day. (Was/is this in the manual??)

Nope - learned the hard way after waiting three weeks for my four Inspire 1 batteries to start discharging after sending in my Inspire 1 in for repair.  I kept checking the battery levels every few days and they stayed at 100%.  Finally found a post in the Inspire forum that mentioned this behavior - so I stopped checking the battery levels for 13 days (my discharge cycle was set to 10 days).  I have since learned that the Phantom 2 and Phantom 3 batteries behave the same way.
2015-6-16
Use props
Rimas_M
lvl.2

Lithuania

david.p.mann@ea Posted at 2015-6-17 00:55
Nope - learned the hard way after waiting three weeks for my four Inspire 1 batteries to start dis ...

Thank you for this info.
2015-6-16
Use props
robvelez
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1057844 ft
  • >>>
United States

Good to know this little bit of info. But honestly, it's still a bug in the battery system if you check it, then it resets the counter. Not sure if this can be fixed in a firmware update, but hopefully in the next version they fix this.
2015-6-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules