12Next >
14538 50 2015-6-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ljwsteenbergen
lvl.3
Flight distance : 959783 ft
Netherlands

Yesterday I updated the firmware (Went immediately to 1.2.8) of my Phantom 3 Advanced (so the one with the 1080P cam). Today I wnet flyingg and with the VPS on the aircraft sometimes lost heigth, switched off the VPS and the issue was solved. However in flight I got messages that my Gimbal motors were overloaded. (Also after switching off the VPS). I flew however rather slow and also did not make wild maneuvers.
The message seem to come in randomly. When I put the aircraft in front of me I did not notice anything strange. But every now and then the message was shown. Anyone an idea Video looks fine (underexpsoed, but that is probably my own mistake), less jello.

Someone an idea of what is wrong and causing the Notification "GIMBAL MOTOR OVERLOADED" ?

N.B. Firmware is 1.2.8 used same package to update the RC and the aircraft.
IMU and Gimbal were calibrated indoors and Compass outdoors.
2015-6-20
Use props
arives
lvl.4
Flight distance : 453684 ft
  • >>>
United States

I had a similar experience. After the latest up-date, went to fly after doing IMU and Gimbal calibrations. The box at the top of my App said good to go, but was interrupted by a message that the gimbal was overheating. Flew and noticed jello, and broken  pages of videos. I have had a problem with horizon, so I had set the gimbal roll to 3 negative to correct for it. Further the system was set to "Follow". But never had a problem before the update. I  had an accident and some of my troubles are undoubtedly from that, but the gimbal overheat problem is new with the update. By the way, after flying I touched the gimbal all over and no heat.
2015-6-20
Use props
sblake
lvl.1
Flight distance : 39308 ft
United States

Upgraded P3A to latest firmware (1.28) with Note 3 Pilot app version 1.2.0 and now seeing 'Gimbal Overloaded' error message.  My note 3 worked perfectly until last two rounds of firmware update (1.27 and 1.28).  Wish I could go back to old firmware and old pilot app when things used to work?!?!?  
2015-6-20
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

Did you have (heavy) ND-filters installed?

Probably yet another Firmware issue? Ouch
2015-6-20
Use props
arives
lvl.4
Flight distance : 453684 ft
  • >>>
United States

FantomDK Posted at 2015-6-21 09:52
Did you have (heavy) ND-filters installed?

Probably yet another Firmware issue? Ouch

No filters. perhaps the roll adjustment caused a problem, although it hadn't in the past.
2015-6-20
Use props
lucas.higgins.m
lvl.1

United States

Could have been the aircraft banking so far over the gimbal ran out of room to correct.
2015-6-20
Use props
ljwsteenbergen
lvl.3
Netherlands

I flew very slow and did not bank excessievly, still got the error message, from looking at the videos it did not impact those.
I do not have filters, other than the one it was delivered with, mounted on my cam. So 100 pct standard ( wish I had filters, to improve shutter speed control).
By the way I did switch off VPS as that was causing error messages and  loss of height while flying. (Do not need VPS outdoors anyway). So I guess this is another FW issue, not dramatic, but not good.
2015-6-20
Use props
jetsfan799
New

United States

Ya I have the same issue except my camera seems to move around wildly
2015-6-21
Use props
ljwsteenbergen
lvl.3
Netherlands

....by the way occasionally when starting up the app indicates to me that I should update my Firmware. Checking the version it then indicates 1.1.5. WHilst in other start-uos (quite randomly or may be related to the sequence of swithcing on the RC and the app?) Everything is fine. However it indicates that I have FW 1.2.6 on  my P3A, I really used the 1.2.8 version. Also a bit strange........
I use the latest Android app on a Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4. This tablet should have enough oompf to drive the app (and it does).....
2015-6-21
Use props
Mooseshooz
lvl.1

United Kingdom

ljwsteenbergen@ Posted at 2015-6-22 00:02
....by the way occasionally when starting up the app indicates to me that I should update my Firmwar ...

Same issue here on my P3A on android. I havent updated the firmware to 1.2.6 but did the app. Looks like an app issue to me.
2015-6-23
Use props
Adamation
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Same issue on my P3P, FW 1.2.8 and the newest Pilot App - Adam
2015-6-23
Use props
romainw8@live.f This user has been deleted
Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-6-23
Use props
davidyork174
New

United States

arives@capecod. Posted at 2015-6-21 11:15
No filters. perhaps the roll adjustment caused a problem, although it hadn't in the past.

I have the Gimbal Overload problem, and I haven't even flown the thing yet! I may return it and buy a thousand sheets of dollar tree foam board instead, that'll work correctly I'm sure...
2015-6-26
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

What's the foam board USED for?
Are you building  A quad copter? ;-)
Pics and video please! Hahaha

I am still glitche free over here.
Updated to the new DJI Pilot App which was released upon us, this morning.
So far, flying thee marvelous Phantom 3, it's been like  a great dream of mine, which I am in...

Thrilled to be one of the lucky ones, who updated the Phantom 3 and it's only improved upon each new firmware release.
Couldn't be happier, unless it was an Inspire 1, with dual controllers...

RedHotPoker
2015-6-26
Use props
giant
lvl.4
Flight distance : 31565 ft
Netherlands

Here also, the gimbal motor overloaded message. Can't find anything unusual though. Video perfectly stable. Must be a typo in the software. Mine is a P3P with 1.26. No isues for the rest.
2015-6-27
Use props
phresh_5
lvl.2

Canada

I also got this gimbal overload error last night. First time using the new iOS update with the centre point.
It flew fine and the video looked normal. Nothing blocking the gimbal.  Maybe the error in the Android app was added to the iOS app?
2015-6-27
Use props
nickmedici
lvl.3
Flight distance : 88287 ft
United States

I have had the same problem too and mine just came in from repair and they just test flew it. It just pops in and out so my guess is it isn't a big deal as long as it's not affecting anything. Probably just a glitch that the message pops in and out. Will probably be removed in the next update.
2015-6-27
Use props
pete1144
lvl.3

United States

Also got it this morning on my first flight with the app update. Ignored it...but I am getting tired of these "do-nothing" upgrades that seem to benefit whatever DJI is pimping at the moment...Matrice, right now.
2015-6-27
Use props
js1
lvl.1

Austria

Same issue here.
With Gimbal motor overload "return to home" failed. Just landed at the current position which can be deadly.

2015-6-28
Use props
Dive-N-Dog
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1087028 ft
United States

js1@joopi.com Posted at 2015-6-29 14:06
Same issue here.
With Gimbal motor overload "return to home" failed. Just landed at the current pos ...

I think that your to close to the home point. When you are to close to the home point the RTH feature will just land.  Check your manual to see the distance you must be.

-Dog
2015-6-28
Use props
dirk.liesenfeld
lvl.2

Germany

ljwsteenbergen@ Posted at 2015-6-22 00:02
....by the way occasionally when starting up the app indicates to me that I should update my Firmwar ...

OT: Is your Tab S bright enough in direct sunlight? Does it work good with the PilotApp? (Stutters, crashes, anything?)
Love,
Dirk.
2015-6-28
Use props
Helios
lvl.2
United States

Dive-N-Dog Posted at 2015-6-29 14:43
I think that your to close to the home point. When you are to close to the home point the RTH feat ...

He doesn't seem too close to home point...
2015-6-28
Use props
Dive-N-Dog
lvl.3
United States

Helios Posted at 2015-6-29 14:56
He doesn't seem too close to home point...

From what I can find the P3 must be greater that 20 meters away from the home point for RTH to work correctly. In your second attempt to RTH your pilot app shows the distance at 11.5M. That would be to close. Try it at 50M or 60M out just to be sure. Read this post http://www.phantompilots.com/thr ... t-gps-signal.42991/

-Dog
2015-6-29
Use props
js1
lvl.1

United States

Dive-N-Dog Posted at 2015-6-29 16:28
From what I can find the P3 must be greater that 20 meters away from the home point for RTH to work ...

As I said, it worked fine in the past. Also I read the official P3 user manual v1.2. No evidence for any minimum distance. If this would be really the case it should be in the manual.
2015-6-29
Use props
Dive-N-Dog
lvl.3
United States

js1@joopi.com Posted at 2015-6-29 16:53
As I said, it worked fine in the past. Also I read the official P3 user manual v1.2. No evidence f ...

Just try it at 50 meters out, both of your attempts to RTH your distance shows no more than 11.5M. That's not that far just over 30ft.  I had the same problem when I first go mine and thought something was wrong and I read that it can't be to close to the home point.  I tried it further out  and it works perfect just not close to the home point. Sorry about the link it's off DJI's site so I guess it's un permitted. Try this post http://forum.dji.com/thread-18967-1-1.html

-Dog
2015-6-29
Use props
PATRICK BARRON
lvl.1
United States

Since yesterday I am getting the identical messages that did *not* coincide with the recent firmware upgrades - just started June 28th and continues on today, the 29th. Thinking the poor gimbal was complaining of being overworked, I wondered if the windy conditions where I live, over the last couple of days might be the cause. I did a small test in back yard  that is surrounded by trees. It was green all the way for this test. Now, reading the many messages here from people having the same problem, I suspect it's not high winds.

Has anyone found ANY documentation on this diagnostic message?
2015-6-29
Use props
paul.roebuck
lvl.2

United Kingdom

romainw8@live.f Posted at 2015-6-23 19:13
Hi there,

I also have this issue on my brand new Dji Phantom 3 Advanced :

I have the identical issues, and I also have an error related to retaining hover height, its drifts up and down.

I am also breaking in 2 new batteries, but dont think its that as others are reporting the Gimbal error
2015-7-1
Use props
DJI-Autumn
lvl.4

Hong Kong

It is caused by the application more sensitive to gimble current fluctuations. Will be optimized.
If you can normally take the video in the sky, you can not to focus on the error message.
2015-7-1
Use props
kriley50
lvl.2

United States

I've had my Phantom for 6 weeks and have NOT had 1 single issue.   I updated everything a few days ago.  Firmware to the latest... app updated... etc.    Now I'm getting Gimbal Motor Overloaded error messages constantly.    Please fix the Bug DJI!
2015-7-2
Use props
PBGixxer
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Autumn Posted at 2015-7-2 12:02
It is caused by the application more sensitive to gimble current fluctuations. Will be optimized.
If ...

When will this be "optimized"?  Are you referring to the iOS app being the software that needs optimized?  I am ok with trying to ignore the gimbal error messages, however my video completely crashes when the errors come back to back to back.  That is a problem being that once the video blanks out you can't restart it until you land and power off and back on, not to mention it sucks not being able to see where you're flying if you're too high or far.
2015-7-2
Use props
seemickeygriffi
New

United States

arives@capecod. Posted at 2015-6-21 00:18
I had a similar experience. After the latest up-date, went to fly after doing IMU and Gimbal calibra ...

Did this ever get fixed? I have the jello effect too.
2015-7-10
Use props
Grossi
lvl.2
Flight distance : 14199 ft
Germany

I'm another guy with overloaded gimbal information coming up. It also came up after last updates.
2015-7-10
Use props
k.kavelaars
lvl.2

Netherlands

I had a short chat session with DJI yesterday, and the are saying there will come a update soon to solve the problem,
2015-7-10
Use props
alex279
New

Germany

I got a new Phantom 3 Advanced, from 18. of July, latest firmware.
I have the same issue with the message "gimbal motor overload"!
What I can say is:
-it has nothing to do which OS you use, message comes on IOS (Ipad Air) and Android (Galaxy S4)!
-it has nothing to do with wind. I get the message indoors, too. It comes whenever I make the gimbal move (move the Copter left/right, tilt it up/down, or left/right).
-in my video I have a jello effect. It occurs every 2 seconds in the same amplitude, no matter how you fly, or even when hovering still.
.-I get a message that firmware need to be updated. Firmware is latest. Occurs only on Android. Didn´t see it on IOS yet.
And yes, of course I removed gimbal protections before flight! Calibration of it doesn´t work either. It can´t be propellers or wind or other external influence, because video is perfect, but every 2 seconds looks like you´re watching it through water for half a second.
I hope a new firmware comes out though to solve this problem!
2015-7-22
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70203 ft
Germany

alex279@gmx.de Posted at 2015-7-23 06:56
I got a new Phantom 3 Advanced, from 18. of July, latest firmware.
I have the same issue with the me ...

The fw will not solve your problem, you have a "pulsating jello gimbal"
2015-7-22
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70203 ft
Germany

js1@joopi.com Posted at 2015-6-29 16:53
As I said, it worked fine in the past. Also I read the official P3 user manual v1.2. No evidence f ...

There is a minimum distance, its perfectly normal to land when you closer than i think 30m which he was in the video
2015-7-22
Use props
ljwsteenbergen
lvl.3
Netherlands

dirk.liesenfeld Posted at 2015-6-29 14:55
OT: Is your Tab S bright enough in direct sunlight? Does it work good with the PilotApp? (Stutters ...

Hi Dick,

My apologies it is a Galaxy Tab Pro (the non Amoled version of the Tablet). Outdoors it is ok, but not great, really need a shade. By the way same issue with IPad Air. In full sun Always use...Sun screen.

Bert
2015-7-23
Use props
alex279
New

Germany

Daninho Posted at 2015-7-23 08:46
There is a minimum distance, its perfectly normal to land when you closer than i think 30m which h ...

See also users manual, page 14, Failsafe RTH
!Attention mark! "Aircraft automatically descends and lands if RTH is triggered when the aircraft flies within a 20 meters (65 feet) radius of the Home Point. (...)"
2015-7-23
Use props
frispete
lvl.1

Germany

P3P Out of the blue gimbal motor overload

I finally managed to catch two gimbal overload incidents in one flight session with a screen recording yesterday. I suffered from earlier incidents already, but wasn't prepared to document them. The screen recording isn't perfect either, but should be sufficent.

In the video, linked below, you will find an extended flight session over the rhine river as seen within the Pilot App, using two battery loads (one and a half exactly). The screen recording wasn't stopped in between, and is not touched in any other way.

Shortly after 10:00, the first gimbal motor overload warning appeared, but the gimbal stabilization and tilt function is still operational. Shortly after 16:00, a series of gimbal overload warning appeared, resulting in a dysfunctional tilt function (attempts to tilt down were refused). The rest of the recording nicely documents, that the motor overload state persists and stabilization wasn't operational anymore, resulting in very nervous and distorted pictures, unlike what we used to.

The whole session shows: gimbal motor overload appeared eventually without any external interference.
It happened out of the blue while flying above the river. Wind was rather low

I'm on the latest firmware (v1.2.6) and DJI Pilot App v1.2.0 (running on Samsungs Galaxy S5 with Android 4.4.2).

Gimbal motor overload screen recording

Cheers,
Pete
2015-7-27
Use props
timswimm
DJI team

Hong Kong

btotty Posted at 2015-7-29 13:21
Just for information, I just received a brand new Phantom 3 Pro today (july 28, 2015) and installed  ...

its just a software bug,  you can ignore it
2015-7-28
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules