123Next >
25456 114 2015-6-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

xaq7@hotmail.co Posted at 2015-6-25 23:37
Thread lock into plastic? With rc cars I've used drops of CA glue on the threads, then screw in qu ...

No...  

The motor screws drive into the aluminum motor frames.  Lockite would be OK for aluminum.

The other self tapping screws should just be loosened by hand and lightly re-tourqued to prevent stress cracks.
2015-7-2
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

gregg1r Posted at 2015-6-25 23:38
If you plan on using a thread locking type of product, you would be better off using a torque stri ...

Like you...  I have been using locktite and similar threadlock on 4-40 screws for years.  It works fine for metal screws threading into metal.

Self tapping screws are a very different issue.  I would not recommend any threadlock on a self tapping screw going into plastic.  Just don't over tighten it.
2015-7-2
Use props
druiz100
lvl.2

United States

Yea I looked at my P3P.  Yea I got a small crack and a tiny hole where everyone else has one.  I only flew in 4 times.  I only did training flights.  I would have flown it more but its been raining all the dam time here. So most likely this hole was made when they put it together.    Its a hard crack to see but its there.   I love my P3P but why is there a crack?

So now what do i do, since DJI is not going to admit that there is a problem since it would cost them money replacing all these shells.    I am really surprised DJI hasn't deleted this thread for the own protection on this issue.
2015-7-2
Use props
InspirelessAggi
lvl.4

United States

I have the cracks on my P3.   Normal flight.   No crashes.  Noticed it around 50 flights.  Added some CA glue. ~115 flights now and one is getting worse.   And you guys are probably right.   Nothing will be said about it by DJI
2015-7-2
Use props
edbighi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 47455053 ft
  • >>>
Italy

This is the absolute last subject that DJI wants to comment on. They would rather comment on solvable issues like firmware, non level gimbal, etc... But this here is like discussing hull cracks im a boat forum. You won't hear a peep from DJI. It was present on the phantom 1 and 2, and now on the 3. The only solution we owners have is to super glue the top to bottom seam from screw hole to screw hole. Apply and wipe with paper towel within a few seconds. Once completely dry, buff any glue marks sway with a Mr Clean dry erase pad. The resulting strength in that area will far surpass what was present even when the phantom was zero flight new. Since I first did this repair mod, I have put in about four hours and over twenty flights. None of the flights were tree top in nature but 120 agl, 2 km distance away flights over salt water. There are no signs of cracking any more and the seams still look solidly bonded. Perhaps this is the low cost path DJI should take if they have no interest in adding further strength inside the shells in that area. Further strength which would make too tight screws a non issue. After all, the shells never Crack around the inner screws because that area is far stronger. If the shells came glued the problem would go away.
2015-7-2
Use props
ScottyT
lvl.4

Australia

edbighi@gmail.c Posted at 2015-7-3 15:25
This is the absolute last subject that DJI wants to comment on. They would rather comment on solvabl ...

Not sure many would want to glue the seams...makes it impossible to get inside if needed. Each to their own.

I have cracks on the inside two screws closest to the battery mount, so take it it's because of the stress when initiating forward lateral movement.

Epoxy on the inside here seems to be the way to go I assume?
2015-7-2
Use props
edbighi
lvl.4
  • >>>
Italy

Getting inside a phantom would only be for the installation of a tracking device. Anything else other than that, or maybe the GPS unit, would mean a new main board since ESC and everything else is integrated there. The light bridge is external,
2015-7-3
Use props
edbighi
lvl.4
  • >>>
Italy

Getting inside a phantom would only be for the installation of a tracking device. Anything else other than that, or maybe the GPS unit, would mean a new main board since ESC and everything else is integrated there. The light bridge is external,
2015-7-3
Use props
ian.mcleanspruc
lvl.1

United Kingdom

mtnmaddman Posted at 2015-6-26 01:37
I totally agree with this, I really cant bring myself though ,to glue the halves together, until I ...

Maybe a 3mm wide plastic cable tie around each leg would secure further and have the additional benefit of flexing a tad!
2015-7-3
Use props
mtnmaddman
lvl.4
United States

ScottyT Posted at 2015-7-3 15:38
Not sure many would want to glue the seams...makes it impossible to get inside if needed. Each to  ...

chop up some graphite hair and mix in with epoxy much stronger
2015-7-3
Use props
InspirelessAggi
lvl.4

United States

Here's mine. I've only put some glue around the screw hole.  Nothing at the crack in the middle.   Think it ok to fly?

http://youtu.be/g7XAWYQ2kKk

2015-7-3
Use props
mtnmaddman
lvl.4
United States

InspirelessAggi Posted at 2015-7-4 03:17
Here's mine. I've only put some glue around the screw hole.  Nothing at the crack in the middle.   T ...

I don't think that will hold very well,  If you don't want to glue the halves together, and I don't blame you,  I wont glue mine . You have cracking around the motor mount bolts, glueing shell halves together will not address that issue anyway.

I had cracks on my p2, I took apart and super glued cracks,  then I cut up some graphite hair and mixed with epoxy.  Scuff around on the inside around the ferrells, then apply the carbon fiber mix around the ferrells,  does not take much very strong if done correctly it will not crack out again.

Be careful if you apply anything between the four motor mount screw holes. the motor shaft may rub. Use a thin coat and grind for shaft clearance if necessary.  When you super glue cracks together with thin super glue, before you repair on the inside, you can rub a little bit of baking soda in large cracks or gaps, and small  holes and then apply super glue sand off, polish, done.  

If done correctly this should keep you from having to send in.  This is a huge problem, with safety implications again. They have no choice but to address this issue openly and quickly.
2015-7-3
Use props
InspirelessAggi
lvl.4

United States

I purchased bondic last night.  It's a catch 22. Opening the case voids your warranty.  Leaving the crack, you are at risk of full fracture.   Poor design.  What happens when the motor cracks and the phantom falls from the sky and causes damage to something else?  I'll call,DJI on Monday.   I don't expect much from them.  Won't hurt to try but there's no way I'll send it off for 6-8 weeks. Unfortunately with their responses to their customers, you just have to live with it.
2015-7-4
Use props
crlondonltd
lvl.2

United Kingdom

What about this ????? I have 21.5 hours of flight 90 flights in total 247.231 meters and today this appear.Anyone have explanation.Many thanks in advance .P3 cracks
2015-7-5
Use props
InspirelessAggi
lvl.4

United States

crlondonltd Posted at 2015-7-6 05:21
What about this ????? I have 21.5 hours of flight 90 flights in total 247.231 meters and today this  ...

that's probably because the upper shell torques on the lower and sheared off a piece.  They tried to reinforce the connection by making tabs on the inside to stop this.  But I see it's not helping in your case.   
2015-7-5
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

What about this ????? I have 21.5 hours of flight 90 flights in total 247.231 meters and today this  ...

The cracks on either side of the main body almost appear that you suspended the quad off the arms and applied a lot of force on the center attempting to break the arms off.

Are there any cracks on the non battery side?

Hoping this isn't a harbinger of things to come.

Cracking the main box takes a bit of force. Ever had a series of hard landings?
2015-7-5
Use props
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14495 ft
Denmark

Don´t you guys have a 1 year warranty in the US - If mine P3 gets these i will return it and get a new or a 100% refund ???
2015-7-5
Use props
crlondonltd
lvl.2

United Kingdom

No hard landings every flight is inspected before and after thats all I can say ?????
2015-7-5
Use props
Rnfaust
lvl.4
Flight distance : 734938 ft
United States

I don't see cracks in your pictures. Those are the seams of separate pieces. There is one small chip at a corner, but it doesn't look bad. FYI: I crashed mine and bent the frame at one motor. I took the upper frame off and bent upper and lower frames into shape - they are surprisingly flexible. I did not glue anything. It flies fine now. Good thing because DJI does not sell the frames yet.
2015-7-5
Use props
mtnmaddman
lvl.4
United States

InspirelessAggi Posted at 2015-7-3 08:53
I have the cracks on my P3.   Normal flight.   No crashes.  Noticed it around 50 flights.  Added som ...

Mine is starting to crack also at about 50 flights, same place I might offer you all a fix that I would use until dji replaces bottom shell,  You dont have to glue the halves together , or even take apart, I do not believe this would destroy the warranty either.

you could remove the screw fasteners that hold the halves together, super glue cracks, put super glue on cracks with a pin if necessary to avoid getting it all over and glueing halves together.  Get longer bolt's find a carbon fiber or brass tube that fits over the screw and that slips into the lower shell ferrell.  Brass tube preffered carbon fiber does not like to be squezzed to tight. Set tube length to bottom of lower shell bolt tubes, and cut off flush with the surface of bottom shell.

Do this with all eight problem screws, Epoxy (not superglue) in place inside of the bolt ferrrell tubes, The bolt heads now stick out below the lower shell surface, and can be seen.   This I do not like, it messes with my ocd.  I would prefer not to do this, But you do not have to open the case, or super glue halves together to regain integrity  of the parabolic torsion box that forms the arm ends motor mount.

This fix will fully restore the structural integrity of the ferrell, but further it will take the forces that are causing this. to be distributed equally into the shell halves at that point.  reason:  you now have a solid structure from top to bottom of both shells equal in strength at both attachment points.

The cracking is very serious, and you must deal with it. The integrity of the arm end torsion box must be restored, or you could have a catastrophic failure. with those ferrells cracked out you have lost 90% of the intended strength ,required to hold those motors . With the ferrels cracked out all forces are restricted to the lower shell half.  The shell will begin to crack around the motor bolts next, and likely will anyway Like the P2 It did it just takes a bit longer.

It is the shape that is maintained by the halves held together under compression (the screws)  to maintain strength and integrity .  This design overall is somewhat minimal and without the torsion box functioning as designed it is a real problem.  The halves must be held together fairly tight to absorb the forces and to maintain structural integrity.

Dji should have foreseen this  This could be corrected with a small plate between the motor and lower shell half that arms out and clamps in between the shell half ferrels, at the 3 connection points, the forces would equal out into both the upper and lower shell much better then,  and would not be being transferred directly through the ferrell to the upper case half.
2015-7-5
Use props
mtnmaddman
lvl.4
United States

gregg1r Posted at 2015-6-25 10:32
Thank you.

After a quick review, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the removable prop g ...

Gregg
here is a simple design that will work if you are going to make something consider this, look at the post above this one. A donut like ring around the bottom to inset the longer screws into to hide the heads would be nice, It could look like it was a part of the P3 . It could fit to the contours perfectly and add support This piece could be made on a 3d printer it could contain the ferrell sheathes for all three screws on each arm, and could be epoxied in place, including the sheath shims and then the longer screws inserted. Perfect, cheapest, quickest best external fix possible.
2015-7-5
Use props
phresh_5
lvl.2

Canada

After reading this thread I just checked mine. I've got two cracks. One black one silver, both are on either closest side of the battery compartment (tail end).
2015-7-5
Use props
mtnmaddman
lvl.4
United States

phresh_5 Posted at 2015-7-6 14:26
After reading this thread I just checked mine. I've got two cracks. One black one silver, both are o ...

Everyone needs to check theirs right now and after every flight.  Mine had no cracks I was checking after every flight ,  the crack developed around one ferrell during a single flight the crack was not there before the flight and it was there after a short gentle  flight.

I do not believe the phantom is safe to fly if the ferrells are cracked.  hold the arm and twist the motor a bit at the shaft,  you will see the crack open and close,  the motor will feel as though it is a bit loose. severe or sudden braking could result in a catastrophic  failure of the arm.

Dji's engineer's could correct this overnight, with a bolt on doughnut type ring on the bottom when redesigned as I described, above would eliminate any forces on the ferrell.  The bottom shell would no longer ,just be hanging on the ferrell, off of the top shell.  The  shell halves would be essentially clamped together. The ferrell liners protruding off of the flat side of the doughnut that would slip down into the ferrel,  would not even have to be glued to restore integrity.

This would only add a gram and a half or two of weight to each arm,  The donut ring could be designed as a small fairing it could sweep back into the arm on each side of the led, stamp your logo in it ,make it look like it came on the P3, very easy.

Now what about the cracking that is likely to develop around the  motor mount bolts.  They could be repaired in the same matter.  They might have to be glued though, but this could be done superficially. and then the bolt on repair applied. imagine a marble cut in half that would fit inside of the donut ring the dome shape would contain the countersunk bolt heads, with the same type of liner extending into the lower shell bolt recesses, same as the doughnut repair,  the motor would then be clamped to the bottom shell instead of essentially protruding from the lower shell.

If you can picture what the bottom of the arms would then look like, I think you would agree that they would look very nice, maybe even better that they do now.  If anyone is feeling creative with a 3d printer, using the design I described, could possibly create a viable product, while we are waiting on DJi
2015-7-6
Use props
InspirelessAggi
lvl.4

United States

I emailed DJI support.   It doesn't sit right with me having to augment my phantom.   I paid a pretty penny for it.   And will be the last phantom I own as I see that it has happened to previous phantoms and they didn't address the issue.     I'll see what support does for me but I'm not at all hopefull that they will make it right other than tell me to send it in.  Which I won't do.   I have little faith in their customer service.   I ordered Bondic.   If I have to do anything, I will be to take off the upper shell and repair what I can.   I also plan on seeing how tight the exiting screws are.
2015-7-6
Use props
azdevv
lvl.2
Flight distance : 171 ft
United States

phresh_5 Posted at 2015-7-6 14:26
After reading this thread I just checked mine. I've got two cracks. One black one silver, both are o ...

Mine is exactly like yours, on both battery side motors.
P3-shell-motor-screw-crack-01.jpg
P3-shell-motor-screw-crack-03.jpg
2015-7-6
Use props
InspirelessAggi
lvl.4

United States

I just got off the phone with tech support.  I have to send it in.   6 weeks wait for a defect in manufacturing.    Should I send it in or just do the repairs myself.  It means probably more like 8 weeks and there goes the summer of use.   I'm on the fence.    What would you guys do?   No more DJI products for me.  I've had a sour experience.
2015-7-6
Use props
azdevv
lvl.2
Flight distance : 171 ft
United States

InspirelessAggi Posted at 2015-7-7 02:57
I just got off the phone with tech support.  I have to send it in.   6 weeks wait for a defect in ma ...

I agree.  Drones Etc, their major authorized dealer, pretty much told me after 14 days, I can't return so I should contact DJI.  I know what they're gonna say.  So I have decided to just fasten these as best as I can and never buy from DJI again...or until the P4 comes out.  I'm a sucker
2015-7-6
Use props
InspirelessAggi
lvl.4

United States

we are all suckers.   
2015-7-6
Use props
mtnmaddman
lvl.4
United States

InspirelessAggi Posted at 2015-7-6 21:43
I emailed DJI support.   It doesn't sit right with me having to augment my phantom.   I paid a prett ...

Hi inspirelessaggi
May I ask what is bondic ,  I dont like supplementing or repairing my p3 already either, opening it up or not.  I just boxed mine up and shipped it back, along with 1500 additional bucks to buy an Inspire.  I cant deal with it, Every one of these p3's are going to fail, even Sploodges ,  They have no choice.

The only thing that may save some is a change in plastic formulation, but I doubt it, this is going to require an aftermarket fix, a home fix, or shell replacement by DJI, This is by far the most serious and inclusive problem on the P3 yet.  Over the next couple of months as more people accumulate flights they all will crack, You all better watch this real close.

2015-7-6
Use props
mtnmaddman
lvl.4
United States

azdevv@gmail.co Posted at 2015-7-7 03:03
I agree.  Drones Etc, their major authorized dealer, pretty much told me after 14 days, I can't ret ...

I bought mine from the camera box in new york, It was a couple of weeks over the 30 day return. They are allowing me to return it in an exchange for an Inspire, full return price of my original purchase against the Inspire, I have boxed it and sent it, turn around by end of week I hope.  I did file a claim with pay pal first, The camera box people seem to be amiable and willing to resolve.
2015-7-6
Use props
InspirelessAggi
lvl.4

United States

mtnmaddman Posted at 2015-7-7 05:05
Hi inspirelessaggi
May I ask what is bondic ,  I dont like supplementing or repairing my p3 alread ...

http://www.bondicusa.com     Watch the videos. I haven't gotten mine yet
2015-7-6
Use props
phresh_5
lvl.2

Canada

How is DJI suppose expecting fix this while you wait for 6 weeks?

I say someone with a 3D printer start making some pieces we can bolt on to help spread the stress on the frame etc.

mtnmaddman, why not make something out of paper or what not to show exactly how your fix would work and look like.
2015-7-6
Use props
mtnmaddman
lvl.4
United States

InspirelessAggi Posted at 2015-7-6 21:43
I emailed DJI support.   It doesn't sit right with me having to augment my phantom.   I paid a prett ...

Looked at the bondic, interesting I will probably order one,  I would suggest that in addition to the bondic I would super glue the cracks as the bondic doesn't look like it would penetrate the crack as well I would build up on the inside be careful under motors the shaft sticks down, let us know what you decide to do, I sent mine back bought an inspire.
2015-7-6
Use props
DJI-Autumn
Second Officer

Hong Kong

Hey guys, apologize for keeping you waiting for our solution. After investigation now we already got one.
Please get back to support with a detailed description, we will deal with it as soon as possible.
Sorry again for the inconvience caused.

2015-7-6
Use props
sns
lvl.2

Ukraine

For me - the best way to fix it - introduce reinforced bottom shell part that will be replaced for those, who sent it for RMA and make it available for those, who would like to do it themselfes since 6 months of waiting and, in some cases, very expensive shipping would apply. Might be, the second one, with full written disclosure of warranty on self-fix procedure. Oh, hell, if the bottom shell would cost some resonable amount like $50 - many would not even care that much and buy it would that be available. Or even, a carbon fiber one.
In other case it would never end with these cracks, P3 will be known to be a bad product and it would cost a company not only money, but its name and reputation. Replacing with the same shell will not help - it is a design flaw for sure.
2015-7-7
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70203 ft
Germany

sns Posted at 2015-7-7 16:14
For me - the best way to fix it - introduce reinforced bottom shell part that will be replaced for t ...

yes i think thats the only solution for this, a new designed shell made of a different kind of plastics. I think the chemicals in this plastic need to be changed. As you could see on the pictures above there was even a crack near the battery which is concerning me, i thought this problem was only around the motors screws but its everyhwere. I will definately not repair my cracks by myself when they start to occur. This can maybe void the warranty as well
2015-7-7
Use props
InspirelessAggi
lvl.4

United States

DJI-Autumn Posted at 2015-7-7 15:24
Hey guys, apologize for keeping you waiting for our solution. After investigation now we already got ...

Please describe what will be done.  I have an RMA started but I'm probably not going to send it in and wait 6-8 weeks for a repair.   That's just too long.   What sort of Fix is DJI going to accomplish here?
edit:

after sending a few emails back to DJI support on this issue, the reply I get is to send it in for repair, but doesn't delineate any sort of fix...other than they will look at it.   So, my hopes of any sort of replacment shell sent to me are diminishing.   From my perspective, I don't see any sort of difference in the RMA from the time I requested it and from what Autumn posted.   Anyone else call to see what they can do?  Being at work, I can't hang out on the phone for half an hour.

edit again:

I called.  Waited 25 minutes.  The techs in LA have no idea what this is about.  They just tell you to send it in.  Same old same. 6-8 weeks yada yada...  Disappointing.
2015-7-7
Use props
venomx15301
lvl.3

United States

Has anyone got to talk to anyone that knows what is up?
2015-7-7
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

InspirelessAggi Posted at 2015-7-7 23:49
Please describe what will be done.  I have an RMA started but I'm probably not going to send it in  ...

If all of these issues keep popping up, DJI is going to lose it's market dominance.

DJI can't produce the Phantom 3 and end up covering the cost of shell replacements and labor without reaching the point that it costs them more to sell you a quad than they charged for the sale.

The cost of an injection mold tool is probably in the $60K cost per. You need 10-12 molds to make any kind of production scale.  It's possible that the tools could be reworked.

If it were me, I'd build an inner sleeve and bond them into place for a long term fix. Next version, if they're still around, is to thicken the shell and possibly a material change.

If you run the numbers, 250,000 Phantom 3 units. Shells for the P2 sell for $55, DJI cost is probably $12-15. Labor to switch shells is probably an hour and then the return shipping costs.

This is a big deal. No wonder Frank Wang skipped the New York unveiling of the Phantom 3.
2015-7-7
Use props
InspirelessAggi
lvl.4

United States

venomx15301 Posted at 2015-7-8 03:14
Has anyone got to talk to anyone that knows what is up?

Only support in LA.  They don't have a clue.    Even a few of the techs that hang out in the forums haven't gotten any word.  The "fix" is either send it in or word hasn't reached the US from Hong Kong.  There's a 9 hour difference from China and it's sleep time there.  So, I'm waiting for Autumn to show again.   If it's worth while, I'll wait.  if it's send it in, no thank you.  I'll fix it myself.  And If I have to fix it myself for a manufacturing defect.  I'll think hard before buying any more cheap plastic products.
2015-7-7
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules