H3-2d Gimbal with GoPro 2
1332 3 2014-11-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
philip
New

United States

I managed to pick up a lightly used Phantom 1 for a good price and a friend that upgraded to the Zenmuse 3D gimbal gave me his old 2D gimbal complete with the Phantom update board.  All I need is the 8pin cable and mounting bracket which I can find and I will be good to go.

Problem is I don't have a GoPro3.  I only have the GoPro2 and I know the website says it's not compatible with the GoPro2.  What is the issue. The GoPro 2 fits nicely on the mount and the plug on the back even fits in nicely.  Is that plug wired completely different between the 2 and 3 versions of the camera.  Am I going to toast the camera or gimbal if I use the GoPro2 on it?  Not worried about the video downlink as I have my own 900 MHz system I may use if I decide I want to do FPV. The camera is only a tiny bit heavier than the version 3 camera.  I can fabricate my own system to hold the camera on the plate.  

What's the scoop here.  Is this going to work?
2014-11-22
Use props
philip
New

United States

I well also add that I have done some digging online.   I found out the pin outs on the back plug of both cameras where it plugs into the final plate are identical.   The cameras both have the same signals on the plug in the back.   The Hero2 snaps in the final nicely.   Someone tell me why this will not work with a Hero2.   Other than the bracket that holds the cam on the gimbal seems like it should work fine.   
2014-11-23
Use props
DJI-Autumn
Second Officer

China

Sorry we have not tested the H3-2D Gimbal with Gopro2 yet.
In my opinion, for safety reasons you'd better not to use it now.....
2014-11-25
Use props
philip
New

United States

DJI-Autumn Posted at 2014-11-25 20:41
Sorry we have not tested the H3-2D Gimbal with Gopro2 yet.
In my opinion, for safety reasons you'd ...

Pin outs are the same and it snaps in just fine.  Is DJI doing something unusual and proprietary with those signals that would mess things up?  I have no desire to use it for the FPV functionality so what is that plug even doing for the camera.  Supplying power maybe?  The camera battery works just fine.  I just want to put it on the gimbal and go flying.  No FPV.  Of course finding the dampening bracket and 8pin cable has been a big challenge so far as well.
2014-11-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules