Winter Fun with Phantom 2
1554 1 2014-9-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
1nsp3ct0r
New

Canada

Hey all,

First post, and just received my phantom this week, haven't even flown it yet. Software, hardware, familiarization and watching lots of videos on Youtube on what NOT to do.  lol

My question though, as indicated in the title is:

Has anyone used one of these in the winter time?
I realize that the specified operating temps for the unit are 0 degrees F to 40 degrees F.

I live in Northern Ontario, Canada, and winter is almost upon us.  Winter carnivals, snowmobile races, ice skating, etc, all good things to film and shoot.

How susceptible is the unit to cold (it's very dry up here), but "dew" may still be an issue when going from indoors with the unit to a cold -10C or worse outdoors.

Any perspectives on this would be greatly appreciated, as I enjoy winter and hopefully anticipate utilizing this unit for these purposes.

Appreciate any and all feed back.

2014-9-20
Use props
josephbobowicz
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Here is a video of someone flying while it was snowing: http://youtu.be/X705y9AQzi0 I certainly would not fly while it is actually snowing. I would not want to run the risk of snow getting blown into my motors. If you are flying with a camera also keep in mind from going from indoors / a warm vehicle to outdoors you may get condensation on your camera lens. I recently came across a post that someone was complaining there photographs looked smudged. Turned out to be a bit of moisture on the inside of the camera lens. He solved the problem by just leaving his Phantom out in his living room for a day or so at room temperature. Landing wise I am a fan of hand catch landings or landing on a landing pad. I would never want to set my camera / gimbal down directly in snow.
2014-10-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules