Phantom 3 Advanced Hair Line Crack on gimbal
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BIGDZ
First Officer
Flight distance : 10255860 ft
  • >>>
United States

Phantom 3 advanced hair line crack on gimbal. Never crash, all hand catches, carried in DJI hard shell back pack

The dealer I purchased it from Expert Drones in Washington DC has given me a number to contact DJI. Seems product isn't covered by them now, I plan on calling Amazon to file a claim against them.
I sent DJI an email and will call and post on their another forums...unacceptable!

Video link

image.jpg
image.jpg
2015-7-3
Use props
edbighi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 47455053 ft
  • >>>
Italy

I guess you flew your phantom 3. If you fly it, it will Crack. I have two phantom 3 craft. One cracked, one not. The one without cracks is new in a box. I bought two since I expected cracks like the phantom 2 cracked. But with the phantom 3 it's not the classic phantom 2 location that begins at motor mount holes and going to the seam. It's on the two side by side screw holes between the light and motor area. I decided not to send it in and super glued the arms at the seam from top to bottom for extra strength. Not something one likes doing on a brand new phantom but what are the alternatives? Send it in, wait, then have the new crack as well? DJI has to improve the thickness on the arm ends to reflect the thickness in the middle of the craft which never cracks.
2015-7-3
Use props
gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

Took a gander at mine and it has an "appearance" similar to yours.  However, mine is not a crack -- to me it just looks like a tooling mark when it was made.  On mine the the lower portion below the line is slightly duller than the part above the line so I'm simply calling it a artifact from manufacturing.
2015-7-3
Use props
PhantomRider
lvl.1

Italy

Hi BIGDZ, what you see as crack... is actually a joint point, a welding point, painted on top.
I noticed those immediatelly after I received my P3, even before flying... it came out like that...from the box! I guess...we can call that on the gimbal a "poor joint"... poorly made. What we can do about it?!

I'm not trying to justify DJI...at all.... I just want to confirm you that what you observed is something which is not caused by you or by a number of flights done. But of course is good to let DJI notice these things for a better production in the future.

Cheers!
2015-7-4
Use props
BIGDZ
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for the heads up...seems to be the consensus on other forums as well
2015-7-4
Use props
tester1
lvl.1

Germany

Hello everybody

Thanks BIGDZ for the hint. The same on my Phantom 3 Pro.
I was also not sure whether this is just a poor seam or welding point.
It is very very difficult to verify. I tried it with different light sources, but I'm only 70% sure.
It seems to be a weak point, maybe a crack? Some Light comes through the weak point! (see image)
-> The only question is, does it have any impact in the future (crack propagation or not)?
Since I have not built it, the manufacturer should say something about it.

Regards

Day-Light

Day-Light

Soft-Light

Soft-Light

Back-Light

Back-Light
2015-7-5
Use props
BIGDZ
First Officer