Cameras View is Very dark when flying - Plz Help
10717 12 2015-7-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
johnkelly66
lvl.1

United States

When I am flying my inspire I find that the view seems to darken up dramatically on my IPhone 6+ so much that I can not really see very well what the camera sees.  The video and pictures I take seem to come out great when reviewed later but while flying the screen darkens up as if the backlight goes out.  Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

I have increased the backlight of my iPhone to the max and it only seems to do this once I am in the air flying, that's when the screen darkens down.  I have unchecked auto as well on my phone but still no change.  I don't get much detail while viewing this way so I miss a lot until I review the actual video playback later.  

Is there a specific setting for the camera settings on the Inspire that I need to adjust?   
2015-7-9
Use props
mtnmaddman
lvl.4
United States

I think the problem is in your pad settings
2015-7-9
Use props
Starship
lvl.4

United States

Turn off Auto brightness, and get a hood.
2015-7-9
Use props
johnkelly66
lvl.1

United States

Starship Posted at 2015-7-10 08:55
Turn off Auto brightness, and get a hood.

I did that, I have had auto brightness off and I have a hood.  Still dims as soon as flight starts.
2015-7-10
Use props
Starship
lvl.4

United States

Does the whole screen darken?  As in telemetry, and map?  Or is it just the camera view?  If it's everything, it's probably your iPhone.  If it's just the camera image, then you probably should contact DJI support. Click here, and click online support in the upper right side.
2015-7-10
Use props
johnkelly66
lvl.1

United States

Starship Posted at 2015-7-11 04:29
Does the whole screen darken?  As in telemetry, and map?  Or is it just the camera view?  If it's ev ...

Not the whole screen, just the "camera view" portion of it.  
2015-7-11
Use props
Starship
lvl.4

United States

Time to contact DJI support
2015-7-11
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

Is the final video/photos coming out dark also ... or is it OK ?

My initial guess would be that you are shooting in "auto" and that your exposure settings is wrong.

I have seen that the "finder" goes a bit darker when I am flying in single photo mode ... in video mode it is brighter ... (for some reason).
2015-7-12
Use props
larsjoh
Second Officer
Flight distance : 924393 ft
  • >>>
Canada

w1der Posted at 2015-7-12 22:04
Is the final video/photos coming out dark also ... or is it OK ?

My initial guess would be that yo ...

This answer is correct, if your settings are in auto,  screen will be darker in "Camera mode", if you toggle to "Video mode" it automatically adjust to lighter screen.
2015-7-12
Use props
tedbotic.gmail
lvl.2

United States

johnkelly66@com Posted at 2015-7-11 04:21
I did that, I have had auto brightness off and I have a hood.  Still dims as soon as flight starts ...

I have encountered the exact same issue over the last few flights I have taken. Thought at first that my camera was accidentally switched to auto, which it wasn't. My next thought was that the phone was in auto brightness mode. Again, it wasn't.
I am also using an Iphone 6+, the effect has only happened during a flight and it initially looks like the camera is doing an auto gain adjustment, but really the entire screen brightness just decreases by 15-20%.
Like the OP, it had no negative effect on my footage, other than initially I started to adjust my shutter speed and ended up blowing out my sky for part of a shot. (should have trusted the histogram sooner)
I haven't had a chance to troubleshoot this in depth, interested to see who else has this issue.
2015-7-13
Use props
petevandra
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6939 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I am a novice as you will note from this reply - but when this happens to me (particularly when there is a lot of contrast), I touch the screen in a darker part of the image and it auto adjusts the exposure to the dark part and this brightens up the entire screen until I take the next picture then I have to do it again.
2015-7-13
Use props
GAGUY
New
United States

Your phone is going into "emergency dim mode". It's a problem mainly with drones that PLUG IN to the controller and run lots of applications while flying.  Your phone gets warm and the FIRST thing a phone does is to dim down the screen to prevent overheating.  It's a HUGE problem for me and my Mavic.  It was NOT a problem with my Phantom because it was wireless.  Right now there is no good solution other than holding and ice pack on the back of the phone or getting an ipad mini for it.  Hopes this helps.  
2017-7-6
Use props
russellg
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I had this same problem, on the bottom right of the screen is EV, somehow I had changed mine to a -3.0, I changed it to a -0.3, now it is perfect.
2023-10-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules