Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Making sure you do IMU calibration on a level surface
5460 23 2015-7-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Cessna172
Second Officer
United States

Just wondering how far you go to make sure the surface you perform your IMU calibrations on is level.Did you purchase a special device to check for level before performing IMU calibrations?
Do you just use a common carpenters level?
Or maybe you just pick a surface you believe to be level like a table or the floor?
Maybe you've never done one?

I did a search but couldn't find anything to answer this question.

Single SelectVote, Total 58 people participate in voting
Your user group with no voting privileges
2015-7-25
Use props
tonyray955
lvl.4

United States

I just use a Bulls eye Level on my kitchen table. I had one in my R/V refrigerator so I didn't even need to buy it.
2015-7-25
Use props
roy
First Officer

United States

Put a piece of glass across the top of the quad and use a level in any direction then.
2015-7-25
Use props
Northofthe49th
Captain

Canada

Have always used my kitchen table (all wood)...since day one and never checked for level and I use my laptop from as far away as possible to avoid any interference....I have let The Phantom hover for some long periods at varying altitudes and it just hovers in that spot...no turning, no drifting....no point checking for level now.....if it ain't broke...Don't fix it!
2015-7-26
Use props
Cessna172
Second Officer
United States

Northofthe49th.....that is EXACTLY my procedure...on a wooden kitchen table.  Have not used a level at all.

It flies as solid as I could ever hope.  Stays within 2 feet of it's position even in wind.

So it makes me wonder what's going on with all the people who seem to have trouble getting their Phantom to hold position after an IMU.
Maybe the trick to a perfect flying  Phantom is doing the IMU on a wooden table?
2015-7-29
Use props
Kilted Flyer (D
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1096637 ft
United States

The floors in my house arent perfectly level anyhow so i use a Carpenters Level to set everything up. I use the table because if i place on floor there are risk of screws and or nails used for building of floor causing problems with compass.
2015-8-14
Use props
crash1sttime
First Officer
Flight distance : 1047503 ft
United Kingdom

I downloaded an app for the android phone, it gives me a spirit bubble and a pitch/roll readout, its really accurate, like most i use a piece of glass and the app and if need be i use sheets of A4 paper to level the quad across its pitch and roll axis.
2015-8-14
Use props
roy
First Officer

United States

It doesn't make any difference how or what you use to level the quad as long as it is level front to back and side to side. By far the mast available seems to be the carpenters level. Placing paper or credit cards and some even use loose change to level the quad. What ever you have handy and works for you works. Level is the key. Secondary is to calibrate before the main controller heats up from being idol with no air flow. Good luck to all and good flying.
2015-9-9
Use props
RogersPhotograp
lvl.1
United States

"If it ain't broke don't fix it" is exactly correct and how I approach it. I've had my P2 for a couple of years and only calibrated it once or twice max on a glass coffee table. It works just fine so why mess with it?
2016-1-1
Use props
Northofthe49th
Captain

Canada

RogersPhotograp Posted at 2016-1-2 04:24
"If it ain't broke don't fix it" is exactly correct and how I approach it. I've had my P2 for a coup ...

Sorry to be picky but is your Avatar name missing an "h" at the end?
2016-1-1
Use props
quanthonytrang
First Officer
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Cessna172 Posted at 2015-7-30 13:24
Northofthe49th.....that is EXACTLY my procedure...on a wooden kitchen table.  Have not used a level  ...

Its not the holding position that is the issue.
You can have a shit IMU and it will hold position.
The IMU calibration is more for the yaw drift accuracy.

Do this:
Let the phantom hover at 15m or more. Then try to do high speed stationary yaw. If your yaw has a massive arc then you need to redo the IMU. If your yaw spins on dime then your IMU is perfect.

Also the IMU calibration is when your sensors is out of whack from a heavy bump or crash. It should be done the moment you receive your phantom as it may of been knocked around in transit.

On a side note, make sure you do the calibration when the phantom is cold and hasn't been turned on or flown for an hour so. The colder the phantom, the better the calibration. Also try and do it quick as possible on a surface levelled with the horizon.

2016-1-13
Use props
DJI-Dave
Captain

United States

I use a common carpenters level
2016-2-18
Use props
Username Here
lvl.4
United States

I got an IMU calibrate message while in the field getting ready to fly awhile back. I set it on the edge of a county road which had a slight slope and did the IMU calibrate. Afterwards I flew the bird for several hours going through seven batteries and never had an issue.
2016-2-26
Use props
Imovetheearth
lvl.4
United States

AlecW Posted at 2017-2-18 09:18
I do it on my kitchen counter island and check with a level.  It's off a little so I put it on a cutting board with some folded paper under one end to get it level.

One thing I learned, we like our house hot and set the thermostat to 75.  After doing it the first time I noticed the IMU was talking 2-3 minutes to warm up on cold days.  I'd read about a cold IMU Calibration and though it was a myth.  Evidently it's not, I did it again after having the phantom in the fridge for 20 minutes and now IMU takes seconds to warm up.

So, I try to calibrate the drone everytime I change "lift-off" locations. I've had only one issue with doing that and it wasn't level.  Is it necessary for me to calibrate everytime I change to a  different location?
2017-2-18
Use props
Kirk2579
First Officer
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

Imovetheearth Posted at 2017-2-18 13:33
So, I try to calibrate the drone everytime I change "lift-off" locations. I've had only one issue with doing that and it wasn't level.  Is it necessary for me to calibrate everytime I change to a  different location?

absolutely not needed to calibrate at each flight.

BTW compass and IMU calibrations are different and not the same

IMU must be done a  very level surface if you want the aircraft to yaw in tight circle without drifting
this need done only at hardware changes or certain updates or after crash etc.

Compass calibration doesn't need level, but can not be done near and metal or interfereance
ONCE THE COMPASS IS SET leave it alone until it is clear you need to redo by the app.

most of the time the message when launching about compass means you must move it to a different spot to launch, not calibrate. 5 or 10 feet can make a difference.

good luck and have fun flying!
2017-2-18
Use props
Kirk2579
First Officer
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

AlecW Posted at 2017-2-18 09:18
I do it on my kitchen counter island and check with a level.  It's off a little so I put it on a cutting board with some folded paper under one end to get it level.

One thing I learned, we like our house hot and set the thermostat to 75.  After doing it the first time I noticed the IMU was talking 2-3 minutes to warm up on cold days.  I'd read about a cold IMU Calibration and though it was a myth.  Evidently it's not, I did it again after having the phantom in the fridge for 20 minutes and now IMU takes seconds to warm up.

we started doing the cold calibrate with P2 vision plus
those slow anyhow to lock in. big real difference if done correctly..
2017-2-18
Use props
Imovetheearth
lvl.4
United States

AlecW Posted at 2017-2-18 13:46
You don't need to calibrate the IMU at all even from new unless it tells you via the app.   I did it accidently once pressing the wrong thing and then had to read up on IMU and calibrated it properly.  I then did it again a few days later after I read the fridge tip to make the IMU warmup faster.  Some people say you need to calibrate after a firmware update, I may do that but those are few and far between.

I don't calibrate my compass either, there's no need.  Maybe if I travel more than a couple hundred miles I might.

Thanx Alec.......I did re-calibrate after a "snowbird" move from WNY to Florida. I just like to stay on top of things and not have issues.
2017-2-19
Use props
KevDrones
Second Officer
Flight distance : 475522 ft
United States

I use my phone leveler lol.
2017-2-19
Use props
KevDrones
Second Officer
Flight distance : 475522 ft
United States

And sometimes the one from my camera.
2017-2-19
Use props
Nicola90s
Captain
Flight distance : 3060869 ft
Italy

I use my phone with a level app.
2017-2-20
Use props
Cabansail
Second Officer
Flight distance : 136686 ft

Australia

I do it on a wooden table but I always invert the aircraft before calibration as i live in Australia.

Must be much easier to fly these things the right way up.
2017-2-20
Use props
helidan
Second Officer
Flight distance : 459951 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If I ever calibrate the IMU I start by levelling the coffee table as best I can using a basic bubble level. Then I'll cool the drone down outside the house for around 10mins. I try to start the calibration process quickly after bringing the drone back in. I must admit I never stress over getting it absolutely level, if the bubble is close enough to the middle you'll get a good calibration. I think getting a decent compass cal is probably more important.
2017-2-22
Use props
phil0
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I've never calibrated anything as yet, never been asked. I have only been flying 2months though so I have all this to come. Good to know how you experts calibrate.  
2017-2-22
Use props
Nigel_
Captain
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

NVIDIA Shield K1 with spirit level app, more accurate than any smaller spirit level, includes a calibration feature for perfection:

https://play.google.com/store/ap ... tlevel&hl=en_GB

Not done it for 6 months though.
2017-3-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules