Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Have you seen the New Vision+ gimbal protector?
4567 13 2014-11-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kenargo
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Have you seen the New Vision+ gimbal protector?

http://www.killerrc.com/product/ ... i-phantom-2-vision/

I just ordered one for my Phantom, much nicer than the plastic one someone is selling and more sturdy than the other aluminum one that uses double-sided tape to hold on.

More once I get mine, it shipped today!
2014-11-26
Use props
michael
New

United States

Thanks for the tip.  I also liked the tablet holder.  Have you tried it?
2014-11-26
Use props
kenargo
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

michael@fhaar.o Posted at 2014-11-27 09:21
Thanks for the tip.  I also liked the tablet holder.  Have you tried it?

No I haven't used the tablet holder.  I did get the prop balancer from them (they gave a discount when purchased with the gimbal protector).
2014-11-26
Use props
michael
New

United States

kenargo Posted at 2014-11-27 12:34
No I haven't used the tablet holder.  I did get the prop balancer from them (they gave a discount  ...

I ordered the DuBro balancer and the ORION rod made for the self tightening props.  Still new and a little hesitant to install the gimbal protector.
2014-11-28
Use props
Jstic
lvl.1

United States

Gimbal protectors are not going to prevent the basic problem with the gimbal motor shaft. It is a hardened steel shaft that fits into a soft aluminum housing with a pressed fit. Lateral force, crrashes, hard landing cause the shaft to enlarge the opening in the aluminum housing. The first symptom is a camera that is not level.  Next the shaft and motor can separate, tearing the ribbon cable. The bracket might help keeping the separation from happening, but you still have to repair the gimbal. Now you have to remove the bracket, and some of them are installed with heavy duty two way tape. I fixed one already that a customer brought to me and had to hack up the aluminum pretty bad just to get the bracket off.

Gimbal brackets are not going to prevent the camera from getting out of level.  They might save you the cost of a ribbon cable, but not a repair. Now that ribbon cables can be bought for $25, I wouldn't bother.I do like the looks of the one you bought though, definitely an improvement over some of the others.
2014-11-28
Use props
kenargo
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Jstic Posted at 2014-11-29 07:21
Gimbal protectors are not going to prevent the basic problem with the gimbal motor shaft. It is a ha ...

My attitude; everything helps.  I suspect this can prevent the damage you mention as one cause of the shaft play is camera movement in/out of the housing.  This protector can limit outward travel and as such I feel it can help some of the other damaging effect of a light crash.  I hope to never need it but I'd rather have some protection than none.

Being able to keep the camera attached I expect this can help in separation damage as well.
2014-11-28
Use props
talk2t_c
lvl.4

France

Cable guards and camera adjusting after crash.

2014-11-28
Use props
kenargo
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

talk2t_c Posted at 2014-11-29 07:54
Cable guards and camera adjusting after crash.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3Ii1i3-x3I

I've seen people with these and they say they don't last.  I was almost considered to purchased them but following a number of reviews I decoded to go with the more substantial aluminum one (above) and not be concerned about the cable since it is reported to tear when the cam comes apart.
2014-11-28
Use props
Jstic
lvl.1

United States

Gimbal bracket can serve a purpose, I agree. My point is that it doesn't prevent the out of level condition in the video. That video really only shows part of the actual fix. The shaft with the flat spot has now loosened in the motor housing and with very, very little force will be out of level again in no time. It has to be held in place with epoxy or adhesive of some kind on the other side where the smaller end of the shaft goes through the housing.  I'll be interested in how these brackets hold up in crashes. Anyone had a crash with one yet?
2014-11-29
Use props
goodwinjohn1
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Jstic Posted at 2014-11-29 21:45
Gimbal bracket can serve a purpose, I agree. My point is that it doesn't prevent the out of level co ...

No type of guard will save the gimbal from this./www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2WcUCGRBx8&list=TLt5ZzFLS9bPg
2014-12-7
Use props
tolanid
lvl.2

United States

Jstic Posted at 2014-11-29 07:21
Gimbal protectors are not going to prevent the basic problem with the gimbal motor shaft. It is a ha ...

I know its an older thread but I had this yesterday with my gimbal and hoping you guys might have some suggestion before I send this back to Amazon -  I've been talking to Gerry and have seen few videos but would love to solicit few responses on this camera shaking from left to right (sometime) and making the clicking sound.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8dltj6eg7wz3y2v/IMG_1791.MOV?dl=0
2015-3-22
Use props
nrgwise
lvl.4

United States

I had a similar problem and it was cured by doing a Tx cal without the software first (fixed the gimbal wheel position and clicking) then doing the Rc cal then the Phantom asst. cal.  My problem was totally the wheel calibration - X channel.

look at this thread
2015-3-22
Use props
nrgwise
lvl.4

United States

I have the Killer RC Gimbal protector and can say it works like a champ!  But buy it from Killer RC - on Amazon it is twice the price for the exact same part from Killer RC.
2015-3-22
Use props
CapitAn
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

nrgwise@gmail.c Posted at 2015-3-22 21:51
I had a similar problem and it was cured by doing a Tx cal without the software first (fixed the gim ...

l second this post by nrg. I'm new to the Phantom and recently set up my first. lt was advice given to me by North when l had a similar issue, and it fixed the odd angle, jerkiness, and the strange "electrical" noise. Now it sits square, no noise, and moves smoothly with both the dial and the iphone app.
2015-3-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules