Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Rookie question...first flight failure - immediately flips backwards
5452 36 2014-11-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mgpgolf
lvl.1

United States

I have followed the setup directions and must be missing something...at takeoff my phantom 2 vision + rolls backwards when I try to take off...the props fire up perfectly and when I attempt to go up it immediately flips from front to back. Any suggestions would help, I'm new to this world so bare with me. Happy Thanksgiving!!

MP

2014-11-27
Use props
Gerry1124
Captain

United States

Do you lift off quickly to about 5 feet, or do you try to take off very slowly?
2014-11-27
Use props
mgpgolf
lvl.1

United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2014-11-28 10:35
Do you lift off quickly to about 5 feet, or do you try to take off very slowly?

Hi Gerry,
I thought about that and adjusted the last few times with a gentle touch but it immediately flips to the backside....not sure. It doesn't even get off the ground, an inch...
2014-11-27
Use props
Gerry1124
Captain

United States

Recalibrate the sticks and power up quickly to jump it off the ground to about 5 feet or so, then the GPS will stabilize it.  Make sure you have at least 6 satellites before takeoff.
2014-11-27
Use props
mixstreme
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Gerry1124 Posted at 2014-11-28 10:42
Recalibrate the sticks and power up quickly to jump it off the ground to about 5 feet or so, then th ...

By power up quickly, I would say hit full power, no gradual powering up
Try putting some type of makeshift skids on the feet to give more balance and help training....
2014-11-27
Use props
mgpgolf
lvl.1

United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2014-11-28 10:42
Recalibrate the sticks and power up quickly to jump it off the ground to about 5 feet or so, then th ...

Okay, not familiar with the stick recalibaration but I will look into it...I appreciate the help!
2014-11-27
Use props
mgpgolf
lvl.1

United States

mixstreme Posted at 2014-11-28 10:44
By power up quickly, I would say hit full power, no gradual powering up
Try putting some type of m ...

Thanks mixstreme, I initially started in a bare field and then put a solid cardboard box below it...same results. I must be missing something...?
2014-11-27
Use props
mixstreme
lvl.4

United Kingdom

mgpgolf@yahoo.c Posted at 2014-11-28 10:50
Thanks mixstreme, I initially started in a bare field and then put a solid cardboard box below it. ...

Get some pictures online, lets have a look at it....... Switched on, props off......looking sexy...

I don't want to sound patronising, but are the controls set correct on the RC as you expect it to work?, Gains, etc...

Lets go through another full check.....  it will be something simple....
Rc assistant software is also required....
2014-11-27
Use props
mixstreme
lvl.4

United Kingdom

mixstreme Posted at 2014-11-28 11:34
Get some pictures online, lets have a look at it....... Switched on, props off......looking sexy.. ...

This was a question that didn't exist.
2014-11-27
Use props
Gerry1124
Captain

United States

mgpgolf@yahoo.c Posted at 2014-11-28 10:50
Thanks mixstreme, I initially started in a bare field and then put a solid cardboard box below it. ...

Are you calibrating the compass before flight (the compass dance) and powering up quickly to 5 or 6 feet?  
2014-11-27
Use props
sailposum
lvl.1

Australia

Props on the correct motors?
2014-11-27
Use props
Gerry1124
Captain

United States

sailposum@gmail Posted at 2014-11-28 13:06
Props on the correct motors?

That is kind of a foolish question as it is impossible to screw a right handed threaded post with a left handed thread, or the opposite way.
2014-11-27
Use props
insitb
lvl.4

Singapore

Sounds like a typical case of Tx mode reversal. Check your mode.
2014-11-27
Use props
DJI-Autumn;-)
First Officer

China

Try methods above. Recalibrating the Compass~
Could u show us a video or tell us how is your LEDs light?
When you buy it?
2014-11-27
Use props
mixstreme
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Gerry1124 Posted at 2014-11-28 13:14
That is kind of a foolish question as it is impossible to screw a right handed threaded post with  ...

Unless your using cheap props or the nut.....  
2014-11-28
Use props
mixstreme
lvl.4

United Kingdom

insitb@singnet. Posted at 2014-11-28 13:28
Sounds like a typical case of Tx mode reversal. Check your mode.

My first thought also......
2014-11-28
Use props
swomilan
Second Officer

Mexico

1. Check which mode the Transmitter is in ( connect the transmitter to a computer with the RC assistant software ), standard is Mode 2 ( throttle on the left stick ) but could be at Mode 1 which puts the throttle on the right stick.  Change to the mode you are used to.

2. If the TX mode is ok then do a advanced calibration of the IMU.  Unit should be level,  no magnetic or ferromagnetic interference in the vicinity, and there should be no vibrations or movements interfering with the calibration.  You will get a temperature warning which you can ignore ( message will happen even if the unit is really cold, thank DJI for not fixing this very old bug ),  however my past experience has been that the calibration is quicker if the unit cold and has not been powered up for a long time.

3. Double check the rotation of each motor, just in case

4. be a little more "aggressive" on the throttle with take-offs and landings, being too gentle can cause the unit to tip over due to the skids dragging while it tries to correct for GPS location variations.
2014-11-28
Use props
mgpgolf
lvl.1

United States

mixstreme Posted at 2014-11-28 11:34
Get some pictures online, lets have a look at it....... Switched on, props off......looking sexy.. ...

Thanks for all of the suggestions Mixstreme, I downloaded the RC software and assistant software...when I pull up the RC software to calibrate the controls and turn it on I get no movement from the controls...I'm not sure what I'm missing here. If I sound like a complete degenerate I apologize, this is a new world to me. I appreciate the help.

Should I attempt to fly it again and just give it full juice when going up or should I make sure it is all calibrated correctly first?
2014-11-28
Use props
mgpgolf
lvl.1

United States

swomilan Posted at 2014-11-28 22:15
1. Check which mode the Transmitter is in ( connect the transmitter to a computer with the RC assist ...

Thank you swomilan, I downloaded RC software but when it pulls up neither mode 1 or 2 are selected...and when I turn the controller on nothing happens in regards to movement on the screen. Therefore I can't even calibrate it. Not sure what I am doing wrong, any suggestions are much appreciated. Cheers.
2014-11-28
Use props
gsp171
lvl.4

United States

you need to download the driver software for windows
2014-11-28
Use props
jmtw000
lvl.4

United States

Could the compass really be responsible for the Phantom rolling backwards at take off? My Phantom seems to take off just fine with the compass disconnected.

mgpgolf, try holding your phantom level in the air by it's landing gear. You might want to get someone to help you with this and be careful not to get hit by the props.  Now, start the props and push the throttle up. Do you feel it trying to roll backwards or does it feel like it's trying to go straight up? If it seems like it's trying to go straight up, it's possible you're just being too gentle with the throttle at take off.
2014-11-28
Use props
mixstreme
lvl.4

United Kingdom

jmtw000@gmail.c Posted at 2014-11-28 23:38
Could the compass really be responsible for the Phantom rolling backwards at take off? My Phantom se ...

Get connected to pc before any further flights...  Get the drivers and make this connection a priority before any further attempts at flight....
http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-2-vision-plus/download

Do you want your machine to flyaway and never come back?
The only way to ensure this does not happen is to go through the settings from the start.........

Don't apologise for learning, we all learning daily....  
Have you got the connection working?  check the versions and drivers required...

2014-11-28
Use props
Buckyflyer
lvl.1
Flight distance : 34780 ft
Argentina

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKia1EYKDP4

Try this....  and of course download the drivers to calibrate the Tx sticks.. good luck!
2014-11-28
Use props
jamesnns
lvl.4

United States

Is it possible he got a prop with the wrong colored nut on it? It could happen......
Look at the props.
From the rear should be angled like this     /           \
Same from the front.      /          \
2014-11-28
Use props
Buckyflyer
lvl.1
Argentina

No... is not a problem of props... he needs to calibrate the IMU!!!!!!! See the video above!!!....
2014-11-28
Use props
Buckyflyer
lvl.1
Argentina

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKia1EYKDP4 ... here is the solution.....
2014-11-28
Use props
mixstreme
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Buckyflyer Posted at 2014-11-29 02:57
No... is not a problem of props... he needs to calibrate the IMU!!!!!!! See the video above!!!.... : ...

hmmmmm,  sounds very good.....

But, I would still check it all why your there.....
2014-11-28
Use props
Buckyflyer
lvl.1
Argentina

mixstreme Posted at 2014-11-29 04:01
hmmmmm,  sounds very good.....

But, I would still check it all why your there.....

2014-12-1
Use props
bander7192
United States

Had the same problem on my first attempt to fly.  The problem was the mode.  If it is the same problem, when I would try to throttle up, the motors would not spin as fast as left or right.  I had the settings backwards.  I had to look up definition of pitch and yaw. Look at your diagrams in RC system and the pictures will show you your preferred setting after you understand pitch, yaw, etc.  If I'm not mistaken, throttle is forward and backward and pitch is up and down.
2014-12-2
Use props
carestio
lvl.1

United States

I had this problem with a brand new P2,  immediately flips on take off,  after much frustration and checking everything I was told by support.  I discovered that all 4 motors were plugged into the controller backwards…. on the little orange control box inside the phantom you will see a 4 wire connector plugged in to M1-M4,  verify that it is correct…it can actually be plugged in the wrong way. I believe the red wire should go to M1…
2014-12-3
Use props
Gerry1124
Captain

United States

carestio@yahoo. Posted at 2014-12-3 23:26
I had this problem with a brand new P2,  immediately flips on take off,  after much frustration and  ...

Correct, also there are 3 rows of pins and it should be plugged into the bottom row of pins for M1 to M4, red wire being M1
2014-12-3
Use props
MacCool
lvl.4

United States

Zip tie a couple of 3 foot 1/4 inch dowel rods to the skids for those first few flights. Won't affect flight, will prevent fore/aft tipovers. For tipover prevention in all four directions, zip tie two more dowels crossways to the first two.
2014-12-3
Use props
mgpgolf
lvl.1

United States

Buckyflyer Posted at 2014-11-29 02:59
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKia1EYKDP4 ... here is the solution.....

Hi BuckyFlyer, I appreciate you sending this youtube clip over...I followed the steps but for some reason when I turn on the unit/controller and open the PT2 IMU calibration screen the "check IMU status" and "basic cali" buttons don't allow me to click on them. There is a help icon that comes up that says to wait until the status is changed to ready after the M.C. power on...but that never happens. Do you know what I am missing?

I have tried powering both the unit and RC on and off to see if that helps but I get the same result.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

MP
2014-12-10
Use props
silvercreek1
New

Canada

This may sound stupid but that happened to me the first couple times I tried to take off.
I realized that I was pushing both sticks up when attempting to lift off.
Now I have learned to just push up the throttle stick only.
I am somewhat a newbie.
2014-12-11
Use props
Gerry1124
Captain

United States

silvercreek1@ou Posted at 2014-12-12 04:17
This may sound stupid but that happened to me the first couple times I tried to take off.
I realized ...

But you learned from the mistake.  We have ALL made mistakes, it's human nature.
2014-12-11
Use props
fox
New

United States

mgpgolf@yahoo.c Posted at 2014-12-11 11:58
Hi BuckyFlyer, I appreciate you sending this youtube clip over...I followed the steps but for some ...

I'm glad someone posted this response....I had the same problem with the flip....and still do from time to time but the IMU calibration fixed it, which they say almost never,  if ever has to be done....had to be done with mine twice already...the statement should be removed in my opinion since many folks here have HAD to do it.  Also some of the advice here telling someone to gun it into the air is a good way to ruin your investment as it will just smash 2x as hard
2015-7-12
Use props
busclas
lvl.4
Flight distance : 609012 ft
United States

There is another RC assistant software that the icons almost look the same, make sure you are downloading the correct one.  Been a month or so since I've used my p2v+ since I got the I1 but it does get confusing.  There is a manual mode to calibrate the RC without the software and almost positive jerry has posted it before if you want to try that.  But I do agree with others you should get connected first where you can check your values and settings before attempting to fly again.
2015-7-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules