GPS shielding
3338 13 2014-11-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kenargo
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

For those who mod their Phantom, specifically with GPS shielding. Do you ground the shield?

I find it odd that the current shield doesn't appear to have a ground connection and knowing the an ungrounded shield provides about 22% signal rejection while a grounded shield gives upwards of 42% I don't understand why there is no ground unless it's to save a few $.01.

Comments?

2014-11-28
Use props
xzgraham
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7 ft
United Kingdom

A few people i know recon that grounding the sheild would be very benifical but  no one seems to bother .There is no issues with the Gps  its the camera that causes the issues when you hit the recording button :@. Now DJI have made quite a few mods to the latest version of the Vision+(V3) SO THE OWNERS OF THE V2  WELL TOUGH LUCK :@
2014-11-29
Use props
kenargo
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I have a V3 and while it does have an extended shielding (over images of the V2) but I noticed that the shield was not grounded and wondered if that affected why, at some locations I get 6-8 satellites and other locations get a solid 9-12 (not more than .5 miles away and about the same altitude but a little more in the open).  I'm considering replacing the 25x25x3mm GPS ceramic antenna with a 25x25x4 GPS ceramic antenna (which has a +3db gain over the stock antenna) and in addition I was going to ground the shielding (for extra measure).
2014-11-29
Use props
xzgraham
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Every little helps  where are you getting the bigger ceramic from?.
2014-11-29
Use props
kenargo
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

xzgraham@btinte Posted at 2014-11-30 09:04
Every little helps  where are you getting the bigger ceramic from?.

From here.
2014-11-29
Use props
ramey510
New

United States

I just got my Vision 2 plus a few days ago and I've done the fix in which the cable is run under the existing shield. You may already have a mod done but if you're interested in this one- go to youtube and type "Simon Newton signal fix". I did this fix and went from getting 4-5 satellites in front of my house to 8-9 with no drops below 6 at any point. I have tested this in many areas and I usually lock on to 8-12 satellites now. I've even tested to see if the video affects the signal while I record, I haven't lost a single satellite at this point when hitting  record several times  at several different locations. Hopefully this continues..
2014-11-29
Use props
kenargo
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

ramey510@gmail. Posted at 2014-11-30 12:19
I just got my Vision 2 plus a few days ago and I've done the fix in which the cable is run under the ...

I have the V3+ which already has the additional shielding (I think I mentioned that up the top).  It sounds like you have a V2 which is known to need the shielding, which DJI added in the V3.  I'm just trying to make things better in a few locations that I have found to be somewhat problematic for some reason; may trees off to the sides; I don't know.

Thanks for the information though.
2014-11-29
Use props
xzgraham
lvl.3
United Kingdom

ramey510  if you got your phantom a few days ago  then you might want to send it back and make sure you get the V3 Version unless your new quad was at a discounted price  because is looks as if you have the older model .
2014-11-30
Use props
jackiedh
Second Officer
Flight distance : 83589314 ft
  • >>>
United States

kenargo Posted at 2014-11-30 08:15
I have a V3 and while it does have an extended shielding (over images of the V2) but I noticed that  ...

How do you go about grounding the shield?

How would you go about replacing the Antenna

Thanks

Jack
2014-11-30
Use props
kenargo
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

jackiedh Posted at 2014-12-1 01:31
How do you go about grounding the shield?

Thanks

There is copper under or within it; I plan to peel back the sticky parts to gain access to a small portion of the copper and place a small screw terminal onto the copper, then ground the terminal (using wire) to a ground from the battery someplace on the circuit board.
2014-11-30
Use props
jackiedh
Second Officer
Flight distance : 83589314 ft
  • >>>
United States

kenargo Posted at 2014-12-1 01:39
There is copper under or within it; I plan to peel back the sticky parts to gain access to a small ...

The last part got me --connecting to the battery somewhere on the circuit board part!!

Jack
2014-11-30
Use props
ramey510
New

United States

xzgraham@btinte Posted at 2014-11-30 18:54
ramey510  if you got your phantom a few days ago  then you might want to send it back and make sure  ...

Hello xzgraham,
Should I send it to them even though it's working better since the slight mod? Does the v3 show a lot of improvement? If so, how do I know if I can send it to them and they will let me do this?
2014-11-30
Use props
kenargo
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

ramey510@gmail. Posted at 2014-12-1 11:26
Hello xzgraham,
Should I send it to them even though it's working better since the slight mod? Doe ...

There will be a $$ difference, assuming they will allow you to return it.

The V3 has:
* better motors and props
* a controller that included a thumb knob (for camera control)
* Shielding covering the GPS area
* A better compass, or should I say a compass that is supposed to be less sensitive to static
2014-11-30
Use props
ramey510
New

United States

kenargo Posted at 2014-12-1 12:08
There will be a $$ difference, assuming they will allow you to return it.

The V3 has:

Thanks Kenargo,
2014-11-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules