Prop guards???
7740 17 2014-9-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
francrev489
lvl.1

Spain

Hi,
What do you think about using the Dji Prop Guards for the P2V+ or P2?

Cheers.
2014-9-21
Use props
Tony
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2856060 ft
  • >>>
United States

Be very careful. This is a source of much debate in forums. I am not denying that the prop guards serve a HUGE purpose. Especially when first learning to fly your Phantom. I used them on my new Phantom 2 Vision+ and I am comfortable in saying they saved my props on a few occasions. Especially before I learned to hand catch my landings, as opposed to landing on pavement and watching the quad tip over as I used the CSC stop command. It always jerks and tips, and without prop guards it will ruin a prop or two. So now I hand catch, but that's another story.

The main concern, I found with prop guards, are they can increase the likelihood of Vortex Ring State (VRS) or Prop Wash, which is a phantom killer. Just google VRS Phantom and watch the hundreds or thousands of videos of Phantoms getting the wobble of death and plummeting to the ground. Well, there is some speculation that Prop Guards make the air more turbulent as it leaves the bottom of the props, increasing your risk of prop wash.

So, if you use them, which you should when just learning to fly, be EXTREMELY CAREFUL on your descent. DO NOT EVER come straight down. Be sure to have forward, backward, or sideways movement along with your descent. I usually use a large corkscrew pattern when descending. This assures me that my Phantom is always flying in clean air, away from the turbulence that props cause.

I might add that I have not experienced prop wash since I removed the prop guards. But it is mere speculation that I say they help cause it. And on the same note, I have experienced VRS with the Carbon Fiber Self Tightening Props I purchased from EBay. They may have been a shotty product, and I may not have balanced them properly, but the plastic props that come with the Phantom do the job just fine, in my opinion.

Hope this helps!
2014-9-22
Use props
mrmouse37@yahoo This user has been deleted
Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2014-9-25
Use props
skymaker6
lvl.3
Flight distance : 49009 ft
United States

mrmouse37@yahoo Posted at 2014-9-26 01:41
hello i've had my phantom for  2 or 3 months now i'm still useing them as i fly around low spaces li ...

It's in Bidwell Park (Upper Park) in Chico, CA. It's a nice place to fly, but this time of year it is very dry in CA.

2014-9-26
Use props
FromAdronesEye
lvl.4
Flight distance : 93146 ft
Dominican Republic

skymaker6@gmail Posted at 2014-9-27 02:23
It's in Bidwell Park (Upper Park) in Chico, CA. It's a nice place to fly, but this time of year it ...

Nice! at what att the pic was taken?
2014-9-26
Use props
controll
New
United States

Here is the set of guards I use...easily removeable...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2178500

Controll
2014-9-29
Use props
peteroudenes
lvl.2

Netherlands

I use the Quickrelease Prop guards. Its handful but when you hit something it can happen that your prop guard will released.
2014-10-5
Use props
skymaker6
lvl.3
Flight distance : 49009 ft
United States

peteroudenes Posted at 2014-10-5 21:17
I use the Quickrelease Prop guards. Its handful but when you hit something it can happen that your p ...

Where did you get the quick release prop guards, I have the other type and I am not using them because I would have to take them off every time I pack it in to go home. I have been thinking about using them, but I fly in the open a lot and stay away from trees and people.
2014-10-5
Use props
peteroudenes
lvl.2

Netherlands

Hi got them http://www.shapeways.com/model/2 ... t-received&cr=8
2014-10-6
Use props
bahamasboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13845 ft
United States

so. I just received my guards from amazon (still new to flying this bad boy) and they're too short.  After looking on Amazon etc.. I don't see any guards made for the V2+.  they're all made for the 9"  or less and not for the 9 1/2 " props that come with the V2+......well...there goes a minimal amount of cash for no reason.  The only good thing is that if I have the classic "landing tilt over", the blades are less likely to strike the ground (they clear it when hand- tipped- not sure that would happen on a tip at landing though.   I'd return them but I already painted two of them red to help with orientation.   Just an FYI if you're looking to buy guards!  
2014-12-4
Use props
umpa
lvl.4

United Kingdom

bahamasboy@aol. Posted at 2014-12-5 07:13
so. I just received my guards from amazon (still new to flying this bad boy) and they're too short.  ...

How heavy are the guards ? I made some and they came in at 16g each.  I have not used them yet as I have only just ordered the bolts.  So far I have smashed 4 props by hitting trees.  Silly mistakes but as I fly it more I am getting more and more cocky.

The other day I was trying to circle a tree, I could have sworn the copter was further away than it was, and bash rather than going around the back of the tree I hit it side on.  Knocked the camera off, losing 2 vibration rubber things and totally smashed 2 props.  Im not sure guards would have helped and might have done more damage - i'm not sure.

Everything seemed ok at first, replaced the vibration rubber jobbies - DJI supplied some spares. Camera worked, but the tilt mechanism had failed.  Well I took it off checked the wires, there is a set of wires with a 3 pin plug connected to the camera, I remade the connections a couple of times, moved the mechanism up and down and felt a click, and then it was all good.  I was getting a bit panicked because I have only had it two weeks....
2014-12-7
Use props
bahamasboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13845 ft
United States

Umpa, not sure about weight.   Glad you were able to snap it back into place.  Sounds like you threw a gear out of alignment but were able to snap it back in.   
2014-12-8
Use props
umpa
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Cheers, yes and it works fine now.  I'm off to fly in a sort while, weather is very good at the moment
2014-12-13
Use props
kazdul
lvl.4
Flight distance : 983428 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Only today I discovered the pitfalls of prop guards when upon descending, one of the prop guards must have flexed towards a prop and it nearly caused the Phantom to come crashing down. Luckily it stabilised and I was able to land it for closer inspection. I've since removed the guards and find its better handing and quieter without them.
2015-3-10
Use props
Daedalus
lvl.2
Flight distance : 557552 ft
  • >>>
Cyprus

I do not use them at all - I recall a single occasion during a wedding and were used just as an additional measure of security.
2015-8-3
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

I would not fly without them. Not so much to save the Props, more to save an unfortunate incident and hurting someone including yourself! Cheap Assurance!
2015-8-8
Use props
EL SID
lvl.2

United States

Me with no Prop Guards. OuchMy Arm.jpg
OuchMy Arm.jpg
2015-8-14
Use props
flyingspanjard
lvl.1
Flight distance : 631463 ft
Spain

Found this video very useful on how to avoid Vortex (VRS) accidents whilst landing. I just got a set of propguards from DJI and will be trying them out soon to see if they really increase VRS incidence or not.

2015-8-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules