Charging
1879 12 2014-12-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
umpa
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Another Noob question guys.

My Pantom 2 Vision arrived to day, I have put the Wifi Range Extender on charge & the phantom battery, The extender lights up orange, and the battery came with two bars of power, the lights flash from left to right indicating charging, and the power brick has a red LED.  So all is good.

Now for the $1000,000 question....

How long does the first charge take ? - its been on charge for an hour and still at it  !
Its like waiting for a baby to be born...
2014-12-1
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

Range extender, a few hours, wait until the light goes green.
Smart battery, about an hour, wait until all the lights go out, the battery turns its self off when finished charging.
2014-12-1
Use props
umpa
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Cheers, the phantom battery has finished but the  extender is still at it lol.

Just plugged in the battery and presses the power button , all that happens is the lights light up on the battery and the button flashes red. Unit does not power on. Any ideas ?
2014-12-1
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

umpa Posted at 2014-12-1 19:45
Cheers, the phantom battery has finished but the  extender is still at it lol.

Just plugged in the  ...

Press the button twice, on the second push, hold it in until the phantom lights come on, about 2 seconds.
2014-12-1
Use props
umpa
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Yep cheers Gerry.
2014-12-1
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

Do the same sequence when you turn it off before removing it from the phantom, press and release, then press and hold until it goes off.
2014-12-1
Use props
talk2t_c
lvl.4

France

I know -  you get the machine and wanting to fly very quickly, but it's very important to read the information that comes with the equipment.  It is also very useful to see as many youtube videos of others starting up and flying there machines.  You will learn a lot, including what not to do - could save you a lot of money and heartache.

Happy flying and remember it's a another exciting way to photograph and video - not a stunt copter.
2014-12-1
Use props
umpa
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Thanks for the help guys.  Well we have flown, here are some of my observations.

The DJI Vision app on a iPhone 4 is next to useless. I know support starts at 4s and that's why, but I was expecting it to work better. The problem was with video lag, sometimes its was more that 30 seconds behind and once it carried on after I had landed and switched the copter off!!!!

Next fight will be with the Hudl tablet, it has a quad celeron so I'm hoping for a better experience.

OK so I have not plugged it in to my Mac to update, its still a virgin system.  Its up in the air and were gaining confidence all the time.  Feeling a sence of (false) security lol I fly up and a symbol comes up on the screen, maximum height reached.  That's cool because 400 ft is plenty high for now. Well I steer it here and I steer it there, and all of a sudden Vision says AUTO GO HOME if you cancel this you may not have enough power to get home. 10. 9. 8. 7. 6. 5. 4. 3. 2 .1

Then it flies back and lands. No 3 hops just lands, and a lot better then me lol.

Anyway all safe and down and then DJIVision starts sounding an alarm telling me I have low battery lololololo
I'll have a play and change the threshold.

On a more serious note, although I never lost connection with the extender while in use, but it does not appear to be reaching full charge. Always staying on yellow. The charger is a 2 amp Tablet charger.  Perhaps I need to use the supplied dji usb cable ?
2014-12-1
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

Did you charge the extender for 4 hours ?
2014-12-1
Use props
umpa
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Err no ! maybe 3.   I simply could not wait any longer, I figured a few meant 3 - lol

Anyway - been out, used the Hudl and its PERFECT, real time, I flew just looking at the screen.  My son was supposed to be the spotter, we went out 1000 feet wen I looked up to see him looking at the screen - where is it? I said. - dunno  he replied.

Bugger me!!!!! it was no where to be seen, panic started to set in, now the video has frozen - sky grey - no flashing lights........
The wife is going to kill me - she did not approve as it is.
I switch off the controller - and wait........ 'Go HOME' came on the screen.  I wait more - I see it, high in the sky - a sound of angry wasps.

It lands - right where it took off from.

Lessons learned -
1) keep you eye on the plane, just like the CAA said to do.
2) Don't trust your kids.
3) Fly on a more clear blue sky - grey sky is not cool makes for an invisible drone
4) Buy another battery because 1 simply does not do it. Its all to flat just when your getting the hang of it.

This is one hell of an awesome product - Would be well worth it at half the price
2014-12-1
Use props
talk2t_c
lvl.4

France

That would have made a great youtube video
2014-12-1
Use props
umpa
lvl.4

United Kingdom

For the record the extender did go green in the end.  
2014-12-1
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

umpa Posted at 2014-12-2 02:27
For the record the extender did go green in the end.

It is now fully charged.
2014-12-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules