Simple GPS tracker for FC40?
2722 7 2014-12-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jamesnns
lvl.3

United States

Because of my sheer stupidty last night, not following routine procedures and not thinking..I almost lost the quad last night.  100% completely my fault.
I'll post my failings at the end of this question.
Im looking to buy a small GPS locator that can velcro or otherwise attach to the underbelly or wherever of my FC40. I would only use this in case of a disaster, willing to charge it every time prior to flight, need it to last only a day power wise, able to locate the quad with ease using Google Maps/Earth etc via computer or App.  Cost 100$ or less.  A small monthly fee is ok. EASE of use is priority.  
Ive searched online and come up kinda empty.  I found ones that require a Sim card etc...not sure I want that(This was a Chineze model that seemed difficuslt to set up) and others that way exceeded my cost point.
Ideas/suggestions?

Thanks.

Now...after you read what happened, dont judge to harshly....Im new to DJI products and Im fully aware I made some big mistakes.

Almost lost the new copter last night.. While flying in the dark, I was timing the battery life/flight times when my neighbor came home. The battery had juststarted blinking red, which means its time to bring the copter home. I thought it'd be funny to 'buz' the neighbor’s car as it was coming in (we’re really good friends), instead I got it stuck in his tree (Flying at night, and Im blind in one eye, doesn’t make for good judgment). No worries, it was only about 10 feet up and we got it down easily enough. Then, stupid me, I agreed to show him it flying. I didn’t swap the battery out for a new one as I thought it’d be a short flight. I also didn’t check the switches that control GPS. I had accidentally switched GPS mode off.I got it up in the air...and it started to fly/drift away...I had no control as I was expecting GPS mode, not Atti. As Im frantically trying to gain control over it, its getting further and further away. I even tried "Return to Home Failsafe" but that didn’t work as I had turned off GPS and didn’tknow it. It was outside our subdivision and VERY far away and started to drop altitude. At this point I’m thinking its gone and trying to land and Im going to have to go on a hunting trip to find it. By a stroke of luck I noticed the GPS was off, I turned it back on and gave it full power up. It shot up like a rocket for a few seconds, then I switched to "Home Lock" which sends it straight home. As it got  closer the LED was flashing red really fast meaning its out of power and it was descending FAST. I managed to mildly crash land it in the middle of the street about 100 feet away. No damage done except to my ego.

2014-12-1
Use props
kenargo
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I'd need to check but I suspect it was a result of not having 6 or more locked GPS satellites.  I don't think being in ATTI mode (using the S1 switch) affects home lock (but I could be wrong as I'm not certain I've ever tried it).
2014-12-1
Use props
tonyphantom147
lvl.3

United Kingdom

I use the tk102 GPS tracker, you call it up and it texts you  it's GPS co ordinates, £25, cheap Chinese clone but had it for a year now
2014-12-1
Use props
jamesnns
lvl.3

United States

tonyphantom147@ Posted at 2014-12-2 05:15
I use the tk102 GPS tracker, you call it up and it texts you  it's GPS co ordinates

Thats the one I looked at..requires a Sim card..
How well/easy did you set it up?
Where did you get a Sim card?  Do you pay a monthly fee for it (Sim card?"
Some reviews said it texted back in chineze...?
Its like $20 Ebay
2014-12-1
Use props
tonyphantom147
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Yes SIM card, no monthly fee, it sends back GPS  example?  53.06543, _1.346789
It includes a link via internet  to Google maps, it doesn't matter it's Chinese but mine is English but can change language. You set it up by texting commands
2014-12-1
Use props
motoman3434
New

United States

Im blind to in one eye. Check out my fc40 at   I hope this helps you it works great for me and easy to do. aslo look up grampa jake on you tube. He has a GPS tracker video that can help you out. Try the 2dogrc.com and try there 2700mah battery. I modofied mine alittle but because we have the same eye issue I feel your pain. safe flying. motoman jake    is my name on utube.
2014-12-1
Use props
motoman3434
New

United States

Here is my brothers link for a gps tracker    I also recomend you get a voltage alarm that beep really loud when your battery gets to a certain voltage so you can get back home intome. I lost my first fc40 over niagara falls because I did not have one. IT WAS ALL THE DRONES FAULT. good luck if u need help contact me on the utube.
2014-12-1
Use props
jamesnns
lvl.3

United States

motoman3434@yah Posted at 2014-12-2 06:21
Here is my brothers link for a gps tracker https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6Ruxh0y9xM   I also reco ...

Thats looks good...
Amazon $50 plus AT&T (whom we use) is $10 a month.
The voltage alarm...well. thats why I was out timing battery usage....
That'd be nice too
2014-12-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules