Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Battery not charging!
33129 16 2014-12-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
cherneu
lvl.1
Malaysia

Hi all,

I am having difficulty in charging my 2 DJI phantom 2 batteries. 1 is 1 week old and another is 2 weeks old.

I discharged the 2 batteries to about 0 & 8% and when I plugged them back into the DJI charger, LED 1 blinks but doesn't charge even after 1.5 hours. Both battery and charger are cold, not warm. I assume thats because nothing is happening.

Is there something wrong with the "INTELLIGENT" battery or the Charger?

Do you guys have any tips to solve this problem?

I tried 1 tip (from YouTube) by turning the Battery on first then charge but still nothing happens. The battery is not charging.

I need the batteries operational by this saturday for a video shoot..

PLEASE PLEASE HELP DJI or fellow members...!

Im very desperate!

Chern

2014-12-2
Use props
Tony
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2856060 ft
  • >>>
United States

Not sure if this is the same issue as I was having. The green LED on my charger was turning on, but if I connected my batteries nothing was happening. No lights were blinking at all. And they would not charge. Even if I tried to turn them on.

DJI had me send in my charger for warranty replacement. I do have a second charger and was able to charge the batteries successfully using it. So I was able to confirm that it was the charger and not the batteries.

But if yours is causing the batteries to blink then it may be a different problem. Have you contacted DJI for replacement?
2014-12-2
Use props
johnwarr
Captain
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

If you have discharged the batteries to 0% you probably have killed them.
You only need to cycle down to 8% every 20 charges.
How did you get the charge down below 8% in the first place ?
2014-12-2
Use props
cherneu
lvl.1
Malaysia

Hi Tony,

Right now its a solid red on the charger and a blinking LED 1 green on the battery.

Not too sure which is the problem... The strange thing is that from 5% it charged to 12% in 1 over hour. Very slow charge but this is not normal..

I wanted to look for a solution first before approaching DJI dealer for replacement.

Im confused here...
2014-12-2
Use props
cherneu
lvl.1
Malaysia

Hi John,

I read DJI online battery discharge procedure and it says to do it to 8% or less, or until the battery is completely drained out.

I suspect its the charger because if it was the battery problem 1 would charge and the other wouldn't. What are the odds of both batteries failing.

I left the Phantom 2 on until the LED lights stop blinking (thinking the battery would fully drain). Funny thing was I was able to power it up again after a came back from lunch.

Do you think its the firmware issue or the battery or charger problem? There was a day that i charged the battery when it was half full. (50%) I know we have to try to deplete the battery as much as possible for the next charge for optimal performance.

This is so frustrating!

Any solutions besides bring them back to DJI?
2014-12-2
Use props
cherneu
lvl.1
Malaysia

Just checked the battery level.

45 minutes ago was 12% and now its 19%

Extremely slow charging!
2014-12-2
Use props
johnwarr
Captain
United Kingdom

"I read DJI online battery discharge procedure and it says to do it to 8% or less, or until the battery is completely drained out."
The manual does not say completely drain the smart battery, it says after 20 charges to deep cycle down to 8% and then fully charge.
You do not need to drain the battery below 8% each time.
Mine are usually around 20 to 30 % at the end of a flight, and that is fine to store or charge.
2014-12-2
Use props
cherneu
lvl.1
Malaysia

Hi John,

Yes usually I would charge the battery around 20% when the first alert comes on.

Wanted to try something to see if the charger would force charge the battery when its low around 8%.

Its charging real slow that's the problem.

Any suggestions to fix this problem?
2014-12-2
Use props
Gerry1124
Captain

United States

cherneu@gmail.c Posted at 2014-12-2 22:28
Hi John,

Yes usually I would charge the battery around 20% when the first alert comes on.

wait for a couple of hours.  You only need to deplete the battery to 8% once every 20 charges for the deep cycle charge.  The other 19 times, just charge it from whatever % you have.
2014-12-2
Use props
johnwarr
Captain
United Kingdom

Nope, sorry, I know it takes an hour or so from 30% so I would guess it takes longer the more charge it needs.
If its not charged after 2 hours I would think there is a problem somewhere.
2014-12-2
Use props
tonyphantom147
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Despite what DJI say if you drain any battery to that degree 0% to 8% you will kill it. Ive charged lipos ect for 15 years now. I try to recharge at 20% and they can last years.
2014-12-2
Use props
cherneu
lvl.1
Malaysia

Thanks Gerry!

Its been 2 hours and its still LED 1. Something is WRONG!

Thanks Tony.. Thanks for the tip!
2014-12-2
Use props
Gerry1124
Captain

United States

cherneu@gmail.c Posted at 2014-12-3 00:16
Thanks Gerry!

Its been 2 hours and its still LED 1. Something is WRONG!

Taking it down to 0% might have killed the battery.  So sorry. :-(   BTW, does your other battery charge ok?
2014-12-2
Use props
cherneu
lvl.1
Malaysia

I think it didn't go down to 0% otherwise the phantom would not have started up. Probably had a few % left in it.

The batteries weren't charging even before I brought it down to 8%. They had like 20% left. Still no signs of normal charging when plugged in. That's why I wanted to try to drain the battery down to 8% to see if it works again.

Still no luck and still very slow charging!!!

ARGH!
2014-12-2
Use props
Gerry1124
Captain

United States

cherneu@gmail.c Posted at 2014-12-3 00:29
I think it didn't go down to 0% otherwise the phantom would not have started up. Probably had a few  ...

Sounds like the charger has failed.  
2014-12-2
Use props
cherneu
lvl.1
Malaysia

Thanks alot Gerry..

I will go to the shop tomorrow to test out the batteries.
2014-12-2
Use props
rod
First Officer

New Zealand

cherneu@gmail.c Posted at 2014-12-3 00:40
Thanks alot Gerry..

I will go to the shop tomorrow to test out the batteries.

I had a mysterious fail on one of my pro camera chargers.  Just put a meter across the terminals of the charger and check its output.  You will then know for sure.  One of my chargers was only putting out 30% of its specified output, so went into landfill pretty quick!
2014-12-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules