Artifacts in the dark parts of the image (red and white spots)
8349 39 2015-8-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
yo.fady
New

France

Hello,

I have a blinking dots artifacts problem on my photos and videos (see the photo below) taken with a  DJI Phantom 3 Pro.

On each photo, there are white and red spots ont the darkest parts of the photo.
Sometimes on the sky there are parallel vertical black lines showing up (its not happening on the photo i attached but i cant find the SD card i took those pictures on, i will post one later).

I tested on two different SD cards (including the one provided with the UAV), in JPEG and RAW pictures, videos in 4K and 1080P@60 FPS but the same issues still happens, i tried different shutter and ISO parameters and also tried to reset the picture parameters without any luck.

Do you have an idea of the problem?
Thanks in advance for your help.

2015-8-10
Use props
chris
lvl.2

Finland

I hope its firmware related
are they always in the same place within the frame each time if so could be dead pixels on the sensor,
I would try taking long exposure with lens covered over that will show any dead pixels as white red or blue,
its common and a fact of life but if there are a lot that's another matter and not acceptable, like my 3000 euro camera has about 15 but I can remap the sensor once and done gone for good, all my go pro cameras have a lot in each of them and they cant be remapped
they say 20 is acceptable on 20 mpx sensor because you can remap on high end cameras, ie the camera looks for them then colors them the same color as the pixel next to it
I use software to get rid of them on go pro cams
but as I say I hope its firmware related with you
2015-8-10
Use props
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14495 ft
Denmark

try to make photo with a long exposure of a black background and post the picture. To check if it´s "hot pixels"
2015-8-10
Use props
mikedaniels
lvl.2
Flight distance : 48986 ft
United States

They may not be dead but stuck. Try putting the lens cover on the camera and boosting the gains all the way. Then shut of the camera, uncover the lens and restart.
2015-8-10
Use props
yo.fady
New

France

Good evening,

Thank you for your answers. I do not think this is a dead pixel problems as it appears in different places according to the pictures or videos.

Here is the link to a video to show you :

2015-8-10
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi yo.fady, do you still have the update log TXT files from the SD card after update ( also the one from the hidden folder /MISC/LOG ). Since this happened after update just want to see if the update says it was OK..
2015-8-10
Use props
yo.fady
New

France

Hi Spoodge I updated out of the box my Phantom 3 at the last update (1.3.20) and txt file stated: "Result: successful"
2015-8-10
Use props
CapitAn
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Would the DNG Cleaner download help this issue?
2015-8-10
Use props
kiwikiwi
New

France

For the pictures ?
I just tested and it's even worse after converting DNG DJI Cleaner.

But the worst thing is for videos.
2015-8-10
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

kiwikiwi Posted at 2015-8-11 05:11
For the pictures ?
I just tested and it's even worse after converting DNG DJI Cleaner.

Have you tried the transcoding tool?
2015-8-10
Use props
kiwikiwi
New

France

Yes, I have tried but the result is always the same ...
2015-8-10
Use props
JarnoJ
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1883901 ft
Finland

Hi kiwikiwi,I ran to this same problem also today. I've been searching all over the web for answers.I'm getting the same thing with my camera. Has anyone found a solution for this?
2015-9-20
Use props
mrlaw.msp
New

United States

JarnoJ Posted at 2015-9-20 08:32
Hi kiwikiwi,I ran to this same problem also today. I've been searching all over the web for answers. ...

I'm having the same issue...has anyone found a fix yet?
2015-11-10
Use props
endless1375.yah
lvl.1
Malaysia

Hey there, I'm shocked to see that mine has this exact issue too. :-(
Some has black spots, some white spots. and it happens only from it's 9th flights, noon and evening, same result. :-(

phantom 3 image black spot.jpg

black spot

black spot
2015-11-13
Use props
ZAR
lvl.1
Flight distance : 26343953 ft
Panama

I have that same issue, in my case I'm certain that it started after the last upgrade, is there anyway to downgrade the firmware upgrade so that I can check to see if this is what is causing it.
2016-2-3
Use props
ryan209
lvl.3

United States

I have some similar stuff in some of my footage.  Its mostly in videos but occasionally in a photo.  Its very similar to this in that there seems to be some vertical bands, however most of my "specks" look white.   Not sure if it was my adjustment (or lack of on the camera) or some type of defect.
2016-2-3
Use props
accidentalcio
lvl.1

United States

I am having this problem now too - has anyone successfully resolved it?
2016-4-20
Use props
imagineering.ed
New

United States

Having this same issue! Thanks for starting this thread; was beginning to think that I was the only one. Also have vertical striations in parts of the video, mainly in shadows.

Has anyone discovered what's causing this, and/or how to fix it?

Thanks!
2016-4-22
Use props
ghilton001
lvl.1
Flight distance : 408150 ft
United States

I too am experiencing this after latest update.  Here is an image showing my problem - https://www.dropbox.com/s/evwnqy6w7kf5vsx/DJI_0014.JPG?dl=0
2016-6-5
Use props
gustofusion
lvl.3
United States

Crickets.....
2016-6-5
Use props
michael1
New

United States

I have the same issue. Has someone found a solution? Is this thread outdated?
2016-6-21
Use props
michael1
New

United States

Here is a closeup of the artifact, and a zoomed out picture showing many examples. Help?

2016-6-21
Use props
L1onCub
New

Ukraine

I'm having the same on my brand new phantom 4. Local official service makes poker face.
2016-6-22
Use props
michael1
New

United States

L1onCub Posted at 2016-6-23 00:58
I'm having the same on my brand new phantom 4. Local official service makes poker face.

Let me know if you find an answer. I've done research on the issue, have seen that other people have the same issue, but no solutions. I'll do the same!
2016-6-22
Use props
L1onCub
New

Ukraine

I'm pretty sure the only solution is repair (replacement of camera+gimbal unit)...
2016-6-22
Use props
michael1
New

United States

L1onCub Posted at 2016-6-23 03:59
I'm pretty sure the only solution is repair (replacement of camera+gimbal unit)...

Have you seen other accounts of this? I'm researching, seeing other folks with the same issue, but no solutions so far.

Thank you!

M
2016-6-23
Use props
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

Try not using D-Log and see if it makes a difference.
Try using the No Color setting.

I have similar issues when using D-log.
BTW:
I am still using original firmware though!
2016-6-23
Use props
L1onCub
New

Ukraine

It is still quality issue even if you have described problem only with d-log. But i have no color settings, so that is not the matter.
2016-6-23
Use props
L1onCub
New

Ukraine

L1onCub Posted at 2016-6-24 04:35
It is still quality issue even if you have described problem only with d-log. But i have no color se ...

retailer replaced my p4 with the new one. no problems now.
2016-7-4
Use props
jsianghio
New

United States

mine too just started getting that artifact last night, it was working perfect from prior week, already contacted dji for this.
2016-8-18
Use props
mattdimaggio
lvl.1

United States

I have the same exact issue.  Could it be a loose or defective flexible ribbon cable (the one snaking from the gimbal plate down to the lens)?  The reason I suspect this is because sometimes when turning the drone or the gimbal, spots seem to temporarily clear up for a split-second.  Camera is only covered by 6 month warranty, so I am SOL regarding a free replacement.  
2016-8-22
Use props
Prokysoft
New

Czechia

Did anyone find a solution? It was a flex ribbon cable? There is so many topics with same problem, but zero solutions, only solution I found is replace gimball + camera, which is useless. I believe its is flex ribbon cable on 95%. It appears after I better organize flex cable under that mini plastic cover, .
2016-12-6
Use props
fansd8b91b11
lvl.1
Flight distance : 141427 ft
Brazil

Hi Prokysoft, Two days ago my P4 started to have this issue... Just the way described by yo.fady.
Did you made some progress in solve this issue ?

Best regards : JUan
2017-1-9
Use props
Dkontoulas
lvl.1
United States

Mine just started doing the same thing after months of use. I'm getting hot blue, red or yellow pixels in random places and black, vertical lines in the sky. No one in any forum I've seen about this has a solution other than replacing camera/gimbal except one forum where several people said replacing the flex cable fixed it. I've found a workaround for photos until I figure out what the problem is. It's a pain but it will remove 100% of the hot pixels.

Shoot in burst mode. Set to 5 shot burst.
In PS go to File>Scripts>Load Files into Stack
Select your 5 images
Make sure "Align Source Images" and "Create Smart Object" is checked
This will create a single layer of the 5 images
Go to Layer>Smart Objects>Stack Mode>Median

This should remove all the hot pixels.

2017-1-21
Use props
pjhudson
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4820 ft
United States

Dkontoulas Posted at 2017-1-21 17:14
Mine just started doing the same thing after months of use. I'm getting hot blue, red or yellow pixels in random places and black, vertical lines in the sky. No one in any forum I've seen about this has a solution other than replacing camera/gimbal except one forum where several people said replacing the flex cable fixed it. I've found a workaround for photos until I figure out what the problem is. It's a pain but it will remove 100% of the hot pixels.

Shoot in burst mode. Set to 5 shot burst.

I have this exact problem, red and blue dots in the dark spots of photos.. it totally ruins the photos.
2017-1-21
Use props
Dkontoulas
lvl.1
United States

It looks like I finally found the fix. I replaced the flex cable and just took a bunch of test shots and no hot pixels. I took several at correct exposure, way underexposed and way overexposed and they're all clear. It was kind of a pain but only took about 30 minutes using a youtube video as a guide.
2017-2-28
Use props
FuriusP
lvl.1
Flight distance : 915102 ft
Cyprus

I just had this happened to me. All the pictures and video have black vertical lines and occasionally i get the red blue white dots in random spots of the screen. Am i looking at a ribbon replacement or the whole camera gimbal?
2017-7-6
Use props
FuriusP
lvl.1
Flight distance : 915102 ft
Cyprus

I can confirm that the ribbon was to blame for this behavior. If you know what you are doing it's a 15 minutes process to change it.
2017-7-6
Use props
RiverJohn
lvl.1

United States

Talked with DJI.  Tried my iPhone X and got good transmission quality!!

My samsung galaxy tab s 8.4 worked great for a few years!  5GB storage available.  Tried it in airplane mode and wifi shut off, still no good.  Hate to buy another tablet, any ideas?
2019-12-18
Use props
Mega Warfare
New

Dominican Republic

el problema se solucionan cambiando el flex del gimbal y la camara ?
2020-1-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules