Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
PV2+ unusable AGAIN (Wifi disappears: “Wifi repeater connection failed")
18897 35 2014-12-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ryanradford
New

Canada

Having MAJOR frustrations (once again) with my Phantom Vision 2+.  Looking for some much needed advice.  Here’s the basic run down:

April 2014 – Bought it.  Worked awesome for the first 2 months
June 2014 – Started getting the issue where I got black screen on the app.  Could still control the camera (take pics/video, angle, etc.) but could never get a feed to my phone/tablet.
July/August 2014 – After numerous calls with support, they finally sent me to a local DJI repair place who said the Wifi Module was faulty and they replaced it.
Sept/Oct 2014 – Took it for a few flights (2-3 hours) and it was working.  Had one landing that wasn’t super delicate, but otherwise no crashes or anything.

So here’s the current problem which is driving me crazy!!!
I basically can’t connect to/control the camera no matter what I try (and I’ve tried on multiple devices/platforms).  Here’s the basic LOOP that I’m in:

1)        Turn on Remote, then wifi extender, then copter, start DJI App
2)        Connect to copter wifi
3)        Go to settings… bind camera
4)        Take a picture of the QR code on the copter
5)        Binding Successful 
6)        Go to camera on App
7)        Black screen and message “Phantom Connection Broken”
8)        Go back to settings, to rebind: “Wifi repeater connection failed”
9)        At this point, the wifi signal disappears and will not come back, even after turning everything off and back on again.

The ONLY way to get the wifi back is to reset the wifi extender (by holding reset for 20sec).  At this point, I can RE-connect to the Phantom Wifi.  I then go to settings, re-bind the camera, but then I get right back into step 6 of my looping problem and I have no luck.

I can FLY the copter fine, however I need the ability to take videos and pictures.  So far my $1500 purchase has been a really expensive paperweight for the majority of time I’ve owned it!

Any ideas on how to fix this?  It’s INCREDIBLY frustrating.

Few other things:
•        All firmware is totally updated on everything
•        App is the newest version
•        I have a Nexus 5 running Android Lollipop, an S3 running Android 4.4.4, and an iphone 5c.  Same problems on all.  It has to be an issue with the copter/wifi extender itself.

If you need any other info to help with diagnosis, please don’t hesitate to ask!

2014-12-6
Use props
MacCool
lvl.4

United States

Bad ribbon connection? Faulty wifi module again? There are threads around that have commented negatively about the ability of the wifi module's ability to dissipate heat. Lot's of reports about heat-related failure, manifested by loss of FPV.

http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=20006
2014-12-6
Use props
johnwarr
Captain
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

I don't understand why you are always re-binding the Wi-Fi, that's only needed if you have replaced either the range extender or the Wi-Fi module inside the phantom.

Turn on transmitter, turn on range extender, turn on phantom, wait, open app, connect phone to phantom Wi-Fi, job done.
I have never had to bind anything, it all works out of the box.
2014-12-7
Use props
rizal
lvl.1

Indonesia

what quality are you use for fpv ?
2014-12-7
Use props
DJI-szz
lvl.1

China

Dear ryanradford,
     hi, DJI tech suppport would like to help you, sorry for reply lately.
The primary cause of this issue is mostly due to the lightbridge.
which country do you live in?  The lightbridge should be checked.
DJI will arrange the closest agent to finish a comprehensive inspection.
2014-12-8
Use props
DJI-szz
lvl.1

China

hello, my friend.
DJI needs you help to confirm where you are from and lightbridge need to be checked in your country.
Please reply me ,thank you very much!
2014-12-8
Use props
ryanradford
New

Canada

DJI-szz Posted at 2014-12-9 09:13
hello, my friend.
DJI needs you help to confirm where you are from and lightbridge need to be checke ...

Hello DJI-szz.  I am emailing from Surrey, BC, Canada.  I know the Canadian DJI support techs is a company called "Flying Cameras" located in Chilliwack, BC, Canada.  This is actually the location that replaced the faulty wifi module several months ago.  Ironically, they are only about a 60 minute drive away.  Do you contact them on my behalf or do I arrange it?

Also, even though I live in Canada, I did buy the unit from Amazon based in the USA.  But this shouldn't make a difference for a warranty check/repair on the lightbridge?
2014-12-8
Use props
ryanradford
New

Canada

johnwarr@live.c Posted at 2014-12-7 16:07
I don't understand why you are always re-binding the Wi-Fi, that's only needed if you have replaced  ...

The reason I am re-binding all the time is that once I bind the camera (and it says "binding successful"), the next things that happen is:
1) Start camera --> "Phantom Connection Broken
2) Go to settings --> "Wifi Repeater Connection Failed"

The only way to get anything back is to reset and try again.  

It seems like it must be a hardware issue, as I've tried virtually every software combination of tricks I can think of.

Also, I am running fpv at all 4 levels (360-15, 360,30, 480-15, 480-30).... no difference.  I never get a picture with any
2014-12-8
Use props
ryanradford
New

Canada

DJI-szz Posted at 2014-12-9 09:13
hello, my friend.
DJI needs you help to confirm where you are from and lightbridge need to be checke ...

Also, I just googled Phantom 2 Lightbridge, and came across this video:

I currently do not even have a lightbridge installed on my machine.  Unless you are referring to one that is internal to the unit?
2014-12-8
Use props
DJI-szz
lvl.1

China

ryanradford@gma Posted at 2014-12-9 09:29
Also, I just googled Phantom 2 Lightbridge, and came across this video:
https://www.youtube.com/wa ...

Understanding your anxiety mood. DJI will help you.

can you take screenshot of the APP interface before enter the camera on app?

and would you kindly tell us what kind your mobile phone or pad is?
2014-12-8
Use props
ryanradford
New

Canada

DJI-szz Posted at 2014-12-9 10:24
Understanding your anxiety mood. DJI will help you.

can you take screenshot of the APP interface  ...

I am trying on a variety of devices (I've set each to airplane mode to ensure they are not interfering with each other:
Nexus 5
Nexus 10 tablet
Samsung s3
IPhone 5c
2014-12-8
Use props
DJI-szz
lvl.1

China

ryanradford@gma Posted at 2014-12-9 15:25
I am trying on a variety of devices (I've set each to airplane mode to ensure they are not int ...

Got it! My friend.
Advices as below:
1、Please sent the copter and RC to the "flying camera".
2、Flying camera will do the checking work, and they will tell you the plan.
3、Don't worry, it's not a big problem. Please contact with me if need help.
2014-12-9
Use props
mousseau
New
United States

Hi folks.  I just got my new Phantom 2 Vision plus V 3.0 a few days ago.  All was well with several good flights. This afternoon, while coming in for a slightly hard landing the video feed stopped, giving me a blank black screen on my iPhone 6. All other functions seem to be working (e.g. gimbal control) but when I click to start a video or take a still I get a wifi connection lost error.  Seems to be an identical issue. I had hope to start using this equipment with some of my field work in Ukraine (Chernobyl horses) but I am starting to have some doubts...  this issue seems to be a rather common problem?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Tim

2014-12-9
Use props
DJI-szz
lvl.1

China

mousseau@sc.edu Posted at 2014-12-10 07:30
Hi folks.  I just got my new Phantom 2 Vision plus V 3.0 a few days ago.  All was well with several  ...

Hello, dear mousseau, DJI tech support will help you.
Would you kindlly confirm some information as below?
1、Can you connect to wifi on app? Please make screenshot of the interface of app.
2、Can you take a photo?  Whether the live video is displayed on your iphone6?
3、Did you connect to PC and use the assistant_3.6 software?
2014-12-9
Use props
DJI-szz
lvl.1

China

Hi folks.  I just got my new Phantom 2 Vision plus V 3.0 a few days ago.  All was well with several  ...

can you control the pitch of the gimbal?

This issue is mostly caused by the WIFI module.

But the information is not enough for judge.
2014-12-9
Use props
patrickwrighttv
New

Australia

I have identical issue, was working fine,  went to fly after leaving it in box for 3 weeks and nothing on wifi identical
2014-12-29
Use props
tulsageeks
New

United States

FYI: All updates performed. All other functions work, even gimbal control.

Just received my PhantomV2+ver3 yesterday. Spent all day yesterday and today fighting this EXACT same issue!  Tried 3 different phones (2 Androids of different flavors and an iPhone) and a Galaxy Tab 10.1.  Can only connect to Wifi extender after resetting it. Then once I 'bind' to it, the wireless signal disappears! Cannot see it on any device. Tried just power cycling, no luck.  Reset extender, it appears, then can attach from any device and successfully bind to it. But EVERY time, once I bind, then it disappears. Never to be seen again until reset. Sending it back to dealer Monday   =(
2015-1-10
Use props
gdundan.gmail
New

Australia

I have the same problem.  Worked for 15 mins perfectly, then got the Connection failed error.  The wireless extender is fine.  I can connect and keep connected to the phantom SSID without problems.  I just cant get the DJI Vision app to connect to the phantom anymore (even though it has a green light).  Sometimes it connects for a minute or two, but then losses connection.  I lose FPV and all the phantom flight information except for the Range Extender batter life.  Is this unit faulty out of the box?

I also tried resetting the range extender, rebinding etc.  Made no difference.
2015-2-14
Use props
glockstar172
New

United States

This is a super frustrating issue.  I have tried everything and spent more than a few hours tracking this problem down all over these boards and elsewhere.  Nothing seems to make a difference, I continue to get "Connection to Phantom Failed" from the Vision app when trying to access the Camera.   I'm able to connect to the WiFi Extender without any issues, i can bind (which i have done DOZENS of times) I've checked and re-checked the MAC against the QR - and tried multiple IOS devices.  I've reset the range extender and rebound more times than i can count.I have a GREEN light on the camera.  

Where do I go from here?  I am absolutely out of ideas at this point. Does anybody have suggestions how i can trace this down - i'm out of business at the moment.

Thank you
2015-2-27
Use props
DJI-冬瑞

Hong Kong

glockstar172 Posted at 2015-2-28 15:02
This is a super frustrating issue.  I have tried everything and spent more than a few hours tracking ...

You may need check the three cables which connect the drone and the gimbal,see if there is any lossen or breakage.And rebind again.
And a screenshot of your dji vison app(the error page) could be help for me to analyse this problem.
2015-2-27
Use props
jmcgraw002
New

United States

Exact same issues as original poster.  Seems to be a trend......
2015-3-8
Use props
applekiller
lvl.4
Flight distance : 138458 ft
Canada

Hi Ryan,

I'm also in the lower mainland.... How was your experience with flyingcameras?  Did DJI arrange warranty service through them ?

Thanks,

Kris
2015-3-8
Use props
toddhall
lvl.1
Flight distance : 46480 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi all,

Just installed a new camera and have the exact same problem. I can get a picture on the bench in the workshop but when I go out to fly usually nothing at. Has worked fine until the camera was replaced.

Todd
2015-3-30
Use props
robbie33
New

United Kingdom

gdundan.gmail Posted at 2015-2-15 07:55
I have the same problem.  Worked for 15 mins perfectly, then got the Connection failed error.  The w ...

did you get a fix for this problem yet.
2015-4-24
Use props
robbie33
New

United Kingdom

anybody have a fix for this yet
2015-4-24
Use props
johnwarr
Captain
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

A fix for what ?
Have you read and tried all the things listed in this thread ?
Maybe you should start a new thread with what your problem is and explain in detail what you are doing.
2015-4-24
Use props
conceptguy.dh
New

United Kingdom

I have the same problem...

iPhone connects to phantom wifi ok. Camera has green light. Dji app shows the phantom connection as green but says Failed to Connect on the camera screen. No preview, no options to take a photo or video.
Have updated firmware and tried binding extender and camera.

Nothing works and I have not been able to use this for several months. I am in UK and would appreciate a fix for this!
2015-4-28
Use props
Gerry1124
Captain

United States

conceptguy.dh@g Posted at 2015-4-29 07:49
I have the same problem...

iPhone connects to phantom wifi ok. Camera has green light. Dji app show ...

When you go to the binding page, do you already have a MAC address listed at the top of the page?
2015-4-28
Use props
chr.zuercher
lvl.1
Flight distance : 24216 ft
Switzerland

DJI-szz Posted at 2014-12-10 11:46
can you control the pitch of the gimbal?

This issue is mostly caused by the WIFI module.

Hi All
Today the same happend to me also. Initially the Problem occured when setting up the Quad for the first Time. After a few tryes it worked for about two Days and now its a permanent Problem.
The LED on the Front of the Gimbal is Red with short Off-Cycles and the App can't connect to the Phantom:
Red flashing LED
The App can connect to the Repeater:
Image 1
Image 2
and then the Problem begins:
Image 3
Reconnecting WiFi and trying again, Camera could be bound:
Image 4
but the Connection to the Phantom failed:
Image 5

I don't know why, but it worked for about two days..
Could this be fixed or is a Replacement required?

Any Help is appreciated
  Christian
2015-5-12
Use props
tilbrook79
New

United Kingdom

i'm having the same issue here. i'm just about to send it back to the retailer i purchased it from for repairs and hopefully a fix.
2015-6-24
Use props
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14495 ft
Denmark

Could this be the reason to all the failures?

WiFi Module Failure due to overheating caused by lack of cooling paste?
2015-6-24
Use props
DAR
lvl.1

Canada

020667@gmail.co Posted at 2015-6-25 07:09
Could this be the reason to all the failures?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=na9iwUvufOk

I have had the same issue. I can connect fine with my Samsung Core but cannot anymore with my Samsung S4. It used to work fine until a couple weeks ago. I prefer the S4 because it is MHL compatible which I connect via HDMI to my Black Pear Monitor.
2015-7-2
Use props
steelo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 528524 ft
Vietnam

same problem. Tried with multiple devices. I also monitor the signal with a WiFi Analyser  and the signal drops for good after binding is made.
The interesting thing is, you can have the bird turned off or on, same result.
Also, put any random mac address in, same problem.
2015-7-22
Use props
Mex
lvl.1

Netherlands

hey Mousseau do you have any footage or images of your flying in Chernobyl?
2015-7-28
Use props
jonathan
lvl.3

United States

glockstar172 Posted at 2015-2-28 15:02
This is a super frustrating issue.  I have tried everything and spent more than a few hours tracking ...

I cannot even bind now. WHen I press Binding menu item in app, I just get a failure error. Something along the lines of "Repeater failed to bind" or something like that.

Hopefully it'll either be something I can fix cheap myself or at a local shop.

J
2016-10-2
Use props
Columbuz3
New

Sweden

Even though this might be an old thread and an old issue, this solution I found (after hours and hours of utter frustration with the Phantom Vision 2+) might help somebody…

We've had the exact same problem as Ryan and several others, getting stuck in the loop of:

1)    Turn on Remote, then wifi extender, then copter, start DJI App
2)    Connect to copter wifi
3)    Go to settings… bind camera
4)    Take a picture of the QR code on the copter
5)    Binding Successful 
6)    Go to camera on App
7)    Black screen and message “Phantom Connection Broken”
8)    Go back to settings, to rebind: “Wifi repeater connection failed”
9)    At this point, the wifi signal disappears and will not come back, even after turning everything off and back on again.
The ONLY way to get the wifi back is to reset the wifi extender (by holding reset for 20sec).  At this point, I can RE-connect to the Phantom Wifi.  I then go to settings, re-bind the camera, but then I get right back into step 6 of my looping problem and I have no luck.

But one thing that we overlooked was that we had switched the WIFI-module (Ryan mentioned having it switched at a repair centre, and we switched it ourselves).

When you "bind" the modules, what you're actually doing is telling the wifi extender to connect to the wifi-module (in the drone) at the address written in QR code. You scan the QR-code for an address, the phone/tablet tells the wifi-extender to connect to a wifi-module on that address, and then the wifi-extender does some rebooting procedure (this is where the wifi suddenly disappears, blinks, and reboots) and then everything should be connected, right?

Only problem is that we've switched that wifi-module, and with it the address written in QR-code on the box becomes obsolete.

Solution: Make sure to bind to the address that's written on the new wifi-module! (And not to the old QR-code that's probably still on your box)

Since we bought and switched our overheated wifi-module ourselves, we got two extra stickers with QR-codes for the new MAC address in the bag it came in. So we stuck one on the box to replace the old QR-code, and if we ever need to re-bind it, we'll just use that one!

If you haven't got any stickers for the new wifi-module address, you'll be able to find it on the actual wifi-module itself inside the drone. Simply unscrew the top cover (careful not to pull off any wires! Check out iFixit to be on the safe side!), and read the "MAC Addr" written on a little sticker on the top of the wifi-module.

Then bind you're wifi-extender (via the app, as usual) to the new address, and follow the normal procedure of setting up your drone.

Hopefully someone finds this useful (I sure know I did)!

Good luck, and happy flying!
2017-6-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules