Phantom 3 Pro. Can Not remove Filter. Hello PolarPro.
4936 35 2015-8-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
capbat
lvl.4
Flight distance : 54905 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Hi All.
I have ordered late last night some filters for my P3P.
After have seen the instructional video on PolarPro Filters showing us that the P3P and the P3A both had removable filters.
This morning I checked to see if I could remove the filter sent with the original P3P camera. And I can't just do it.
I have seen on you tube that sometimes it screwed in tight and I did put some pressure to unscrew it without success.

Are all P3P equipped with removable neutral filters when shipped?
Or did I get a wrong camera with my P3P?

Thanks all.

Bat
2015-8-26
Use props
rayrokni
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

wrap electricl tape just on the uv filter part, that way u can get a good grip, it will help u get nit off and afterwards discard tape
2015-8-26
Use props
dlongcamp
lvl.4
Flight distance : 755988 ft
  • >>>
United States

thick rubber band will work and just give it steady even pressure counter clockwise and it will give.   
2015-8-26
Use props
rayrokni
lvl.4
United States

dlongcamp@aol.c Posted at 2015-8-27 02:44
thick rubber band will work and just give it steady even pressure counter clockwise and it will give ...

even better than the electrical tape. very good idea.
2015-8-26
Use props
capbat
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

rayrokni Posted at 2015-8-27 02:50
even better than the electrical tape. very good idea.

I have even tried with plyers, and cracked partially the front of the lens.
This thing is unscrewable.

Bat
2015-8-26
Use props
rayrokni
lvl.4
United States

capbat Posted at 2015-8-27 10:02
This thing is unscrew ...

wow, i dont know what to say in that case. but u didnt damage the lens, right? just the uv filter that is screwed( what u r trying to take off)?
2015-8-26
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

it's coming pretty tight from the factory, just apply some more power
2015-8-26
Use props
CapitAn
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

capbat Posted at 2015-8-27 10:02
This thing is unscrew ...

l almost gave up on mine. lf you apply too much pressure in one spot it seems to pinch it tighter into place. The tape and thick elastic suggestions are good because they prevent you from squeezing down metal to metal while giving enough traction to turn.
l used a long stretch of scotch tape/sellotape. l twisted it around on itself lengthwise so it was sticky all the way around, then wrapped it around the lens cover. You can try turning it with that, or twist something into the ends of the tape and use it to turn.
2015-8-26
Use props
ag0n
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

From my DSLR experience with stuck filters, use the rubber band trick but DO NOT SQUEEZE tightly.  Just grip it snugly and keep working at it.  When you squeeze, you flex the outer rim threads and they bind worst.  Also try cooling it to shrink the thread diameter.
2015-8-26
Use props
capbat
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

ag0n Posted at 2015-8-26 22:51
From my DSLR experience with stuck filters, use the rubber band trick but DO NOT SQUEEZE tightly.  J ...

Hey Thanks agOn, I didn't think about the cooling effect I will give it a try.
But I think I might have damage it using the plyers. Do you if it's possible to remove using a saw to crack it open?

Thanks
Bat.
2015-8-30
Use props
capbat
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

rayrokni Posted at 2015-8-26 22:04
wow, i dont know what to say in that case. but u didnt damage the lens, right? just the uv filter  ...

No the lens is ok it's only the UV Filter.
2015-8-30
Use props
capbat
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Here is some more thinking I have done about this.
If I can't remove the filter I might decide to scrap it and buy a new one from PolarPro.
How about cutting it open from the front of the filter with a 'Dremel' and then crack it open without touching the thread with the Dremel. If need be I might have to rethread it. I would have to find out the specs of the
thread, PolarPro might help me in this.
What do you think about this solution.
Thanks.

Bat
2015-9-2
Use props
dji.blitzk
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1752986 ft
  • >>>
United States

Put the camera in the fridge...  take it out and wrap a hot towel or something like that around the UV filter.  Wait a few seconds and then try it....   

IF that doesn't work,  you've bent it by using the pliers.... good luck
2015-9-2
Use props
capbat
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

CapitAn Posted at 2015-8-26 22:48
l almost gave up on mine. lf you apply too much pressure in one spot it seems to pinch it tighter  ...

Is this part of the lens made of metal or plastic?

Bat
2015-9-2
Use props
capbat
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

dji.blitzk Posted at 2015-9-2 14:13
Put the camera in the fridge...  take it out and wrap a hot towel or something like that around the  ...

Ok if it is bent what are my other choices.
Bat
2015-9-2
Use props
CapitAn
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

capbat Posted at 2015-9-2 14:41
Is this part of the lens made of metal or plastic?

Bat

lt's metal, and when l tried to take it off by hand it seemed to grip tighter. lt came off fairly quickly when there was an extra layer to grip onto without pinching the metal.

l have to ask - why the trilobite
2015-9-2
Use props
chrroman
lvl.1
United States

I spent the entire night last night trying to get mine off. I finally did. Polar Pros come with these strings. What I did was wrap the strings around the UV filter and then twisted the loose ends until the string was nice and tight...almost similar to removing an oil filter if you've ever done that. So now there is equal amounts of pressure around the entire filter. While crimping down those loose ends, which should now be a twisted knot, turn as if unscrewing. Be patient. It will come off.
2015-9-2
Use props
capbat
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

chrroman Posted at 2015-9-2 17:04
I spent the entire night last night trying to get mine off. I finally did. Polar Pros come with thes ...

I did not get the PolarPro filters yet . What are those strings you are talking about?
It turns for about 1/2 and inch and then it jams. Can't get pass that point.
2015-9-2
Use props
capbat
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

CapitAn Posted at 2015-9-2 14:45
l have to ask - why the trilobite  ...

Just a reminder of where we come from.
2015-9-3
Use props
tom
New
Flight distance : 215627 ft

United Kingdom

I just managed to unscrew mine after several previous attempts. The trick is to try and wrap your index finger around the edge of the filter as much as you can, to spread the load. If you just use thumb and index finger on 2 points, I think the pressure of your fingers hold the rim too tightly onto the thread.

2015-9-3
Use props
chrroman
lvl.1
United States

the strings come in with the polar kit - check this out:

http://forum.dji.com/thread-14931-1-1.html
2015-9-4
Use props
capbat
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

chrroman Posted at 2015-9-4 10:02
the strings come in with the polar kit - check this out:

http://forum.dji.com/thread-14931-1-1.htm ...

Tried that.
The thing is stuck now I am looking for ways I can destroy it whit out damaging the threads of the lens.!
Bat
2015-9-5
Use props
gil
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

Really surprised the string tension method didn't work, it's helped a lot of people since I posted it.

Plan "B": If you really, REALLY don't care if you destroy the existing lens cover here's a suggestion.
  1)  Get some fast setting epoxy and a jar lid with some "ridges" around the edge (mine came off a 12 oz jar of Mt Olive mild pepper rings).  
  2) Take some rough grit sandpaper to rough up around the edge and especially the inside of the lid so the epoxy will stick better.
  3) squirt the epoxy in the inside of the lid -- enough so that it will bead up around the perimeter of the lens cover when you stick it in.
  4) Stick the lens into the center of the jar lid and let the epoxy harden (make sure it doesn't ooze up more than 1/8 inch.
  5) After the epoxy hardens make sure the gimbal guard is in place, brace the body of the camera and turn the jar lid in a CCW direction.

It should be obvious to even the most casual observer this is a method of last resort.  Make sure you have exhausted everything else before you give this any serious thought.
Desperation.jpg
2015-10-12
Use props
BASS 666
lvl.3

United Kingdom

I put a cable / zip tie round mine and it came off really easy ... I tried every thing before that to no avail ....
2015-10-12
Use props
attaboy
lvl.1

United States

BASS 666 Posted at 2015-10-13 06:37
I put a cable / zip tie round mine and it came off really easy ... I tried every thing before that t ...

As an alternative to messing around with the factory lens cover, you might consider using the push-on lens's such as Snake River Prototype .. available on Amazon.  They have an 8ND/CP as well as a 16ND/CP and now an 8-16/ND.  I do have the Taco set here as well, but I'm more comfortable not having to feel the super-fine threads .. your age may vary.
2015-10-12
Use props
Not A Speck Of
lvl.4
Flight distance : 666493 ft
United States

I just wanted to pile on: definitely a light touch is called for here. The harder you press, the harder it stays. I recommend the rubber-band / -glove method, then touch only the edge. By edge, I do not mean the front or any of the round sides; I mean just the edge of the 90-degree angle of where side meets front.
2015-10-13
Use props
alancrosthwaite
lvl.1
Flight distance : 214918 ft
United States

I used VERY gently, a plumbers strap wrench when all else failed.
2015-11-21
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

The end cap is not a UV Filter, just a protection cap to keep the Lens from getting scratched. I use a wide rubber band around the filter only. This may sound strange but, less is more! Use your fingers on the cap without a great amount of pressure. Turn counter clockwise while gently rocking the cap in and out. It will come off easily. If you have used to much force on the cap and it now bent ( a bit oblong ) I think you know what comes next
2015-11-22
Use props
Huey_930
lvl.1
Flight distance : 194957 ft
United States

rodger Posted at 2015-11-22 07:27
The end cap is not a UV Filter, just a protection cap to keep the Lens from getting scratched. I use ...

Rubber band method worked for me after several failed attempts of trying to screw it off like it was a jar of pickles.  And indeed, a light touch is all it takes!
2016-1-10
Use props
klinknky
lvl.3
Flight distance : 106447 ft
United States

chrroman Posted at 2015-9-3 05:04
I spent the entire night last night trying to get mine off. I finally did. Polar Pros come with thes ...

This is the way I got mine off. I had given up two or three times before it finally came off. I looks to me like DJI may have put a small drop of red thread locker on the threads.
2016-1-10
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Huey_930 Posted at 2016-1-10 21:04
Rubber band method worked for me after several failed attempts of trying to screw it off like it w ...

Glad it worked for you. Also it was my mistake, the supplied filter is a "UV" filter.
2016-1-11
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

klinknky Posted at 2016-1-10 21:45
This is the way I got mine off. I had given up two or three times before it finally came off. I loo ...

I don't mean to but in. DJI does not put any thread lock on the filter. For that matter I doubt that anyone does. You may have seen a bit of debris that dropped on the threads.
2016-1-11
Use props
klinknky
lvl.3
Flight distance : 106447 ft
United States

It may not be thread locker but it looks like it to me.
IMG_0439.jpg
2016-1-11
Use props
fans8a84a908
New
Flight distance : 58704 ft
Norway

capbat Posted at 2015-9-2 17:36
I did not get the PolarPro filters yet . What are those strings you are talking about?
It turns for about 1/2 and inch and then it jams. Can't get pass that point.

When you can move the filter, it may help with a  drop of rust remover like WD-40 spray, it will lubricate
2017-4-30
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

fans8a84a908 Posted at 2017-4-30 10:52
When you can move the filter, it may help with a  drop of rust remover like WD-40 spray, it will lubricate

Not a good idea, WD40 will vapourise in hot conditions and form a film on the surface of the lens and/or filter.
2017-4-30
Use props
Ross1137 1
lvl.1
Flight distance : 781654 ft
Australia

This bloke named bat.... Using pliers and a saw on his camera!! Are you sure you don't have a p3s which you can't unscrew the front of the camera? You can see on the pro there is a, let's call it a line around the camera where the front unscrews, simply put the plastic lense cover on then screw it counter clockwise, it's so easy, i have a suspicion you have the standard and are just destroying the camera..
2017-8-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules