Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Resetting the toe-in on the Inspire 1 feet/motors
5815 5 2015-8-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
grahamcotton50
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I was low flying, slowly at 2 feet under a small overhanging fruit tree branch. Hit a branch with rotors and Inspire 1 fell sideways into the grass. Result was that the starboard boom twisted/rolled. I can slacken a screw and rotate the boom. My question is - how do I get the correct angle so that the motors are inclined exactly as the motors on the Port side?

Bent leg.jpeg
1. Gear Teeth.jpeg
2. Gear Teeth.jpeg
2015-8-28
Use props
Linolens
Second Officer
Flight distance : 501250 ft
Macao

unfortunately, send it in and take (some) time off
2015-8-28
Use props
njabinc
lvl.3

United States

This is extremely easy and can be done multiple ways. If you can obtain a digital angle finder it would serve to guarantee your success. Although in it's absence You'll be able to get it close. Just to qualify my advise I own a successful high end full service auto body repair facility for over 20 years where we're able return $200,000.00 vehicles back to specification to a mm. I've also fabricated many NASCAR race cars over the last 33 years. Of all the race cars I've ever set up we've never used an alignment machine as street vehicles are aligned on. A flat surface, string, tape measure, and a digital angle finder is all that is ever needed. Your  Inspire is simply a machine so the principles are the same. When built and serviced by DJI or an authorized facility they have indicated they utilize a jig to align. If I felt it necessary to do so regularly I would build one and tell you to do the same however neither of us will need one regularly enough to do so. Find a nice flat surface, a tape measure, and a digital angle finder. Set up the Inspire in travel mode as it will lend itself to accurate measurement. Though in the end it won't hurt to check it in gear down mode also. As a quick note if any of my descriptions aren't making sense simply leave me your email as I'll take photos to help you. First lay the Inspire upside down with the nose facing away and the tail lamp towards you, put a towel down as not to scratch it. On the unaffected tube locate the inward corner of the landing gear/motor mount. As the Inspire is upside down it will be facing up at the point where the carbon fiber tube enters the landing gear/motor mount and the inner corner will be facing the fuselage as opposed to facing outward. Now on the fuselage there are two points you need to locate. On the front you'll want to first remove the gimble mount for access. After removal also remove the front rubber mounts. Once they're removed you'll see an inward corner created by the flat forward area of the base plate transitioning to the downward angle that starts on the nose piece and continues to the bottom most area of the base plate. The absolute point created in the inward corner is what you'll use in the front. Now at the rear of the fuselage below the battery compartment at the point the base plate ends and the tag plate is attached there is a mold line that exists between the torx machine screw and the tag plate. The point created where that mold line meets the tag plate is what you'll use in the rear. Now using the unaffected side measure from the inner corner on the forward landing gear/motor mount and the inward corner described on the front of the base plate. Whether you use metric or English measure to the smallest increment you can and as accurately as you can. Do so at least twice or more until you repeatedly get the same figure and record your result. Now measure from the rearward landing gear/motor mount and the mold line at the rear of the base plate and record your result. Now on the damaged side snug the adjustment sleeve so that the tube will move with a small amount of effort but not move freely. Use the same points and measure and adjust until your results match the unaffected side. Tighten the adjuster when they do. Now turn the Inspire right side up and use the digital angle finder on the tag plate to level and plumb the aircraft. You can use anything stable underneath the landing gear to space it where necessary to attain exactly level and plumb. Level and plumb means that you hold the angle finder against the back of the tag plate and adjust till it reads zero. Then hold the angle finder on either side of the tag plate and do the same. After the aircraft is level use the angle finder vertically on the outside bulge of the landing gear/motor mount right below the motor on the unaffected side. Measure both front and rear in the same area and record the angle. Now do the same to the side you corrected. They should read the same however if they don't simply loosen the adjuster until the tube will slightly move and adjust until the angles are an exact match. Do recheck that the aircraft remained level throughout any adjustments by repeating the leveling procedure on the tag plate. Once the angles measure the same repeatedly tighten the adjuster and have a cold one its s good as new and possibly better. Good luck and please ask if you have any questions.
2015-8-28
Use props
mtnmaddman
Second Officer
United States

If you use an angle gauge make sure it does not have a magnet in it
2015-8-30
Use props
remltr
lvl.4

United States

Try the simple approach (but probably not very wise)

On a level surface - Rotate the feet until they are flat. Keep them flat while rotating the arm so that the body of the I1 is as level as you can get it. Measure from the level surface to each side of the battery frame. Once each side measures the same distance from the surface, lock it down. I can't see why that wouldn't work, unless the measurements have to be locked to the nth degree. If is off by as much as 2 degrees is that going to catastrophic? I just don't know.

The logical approach is to send it in and wait until Christmas to get it back.

2015-8-30
Use props
MicroDrone
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3404324 ft
Kenya

I have had this exact problem before. I couldn't find any reliable information online. I eyeballed the angle from memory, then I put in new props and readjusted the angles until the prop's tips aligned horizontaly- - then I safety checked stuff like the distance between the props and vibration mount for the x5. When all seemed good, I tightened. It works well, doesn't feel any different in flight.
2017-4-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules